Biden Tracker (5 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

If this clown signs the bill to bust the railroad union, they all need to walk.

I'm hearing that the I.L.A. might shut down the ports in solidarity.

Let's see if those clowns from the truckers convoy can make up the difference.

When municipalities run out of chlorine to treat the water, and people can't get food we'll find out who really has the power in this country.

When municipalities run out of chlorine to treat the water, and people can't get food we'll find out who really has the power in this country.

This is my thought. If they strike anyways, what are you going to do? Arrest them? Kill them?

It's so sad that the only bipartisan law that gets passed is screwing over labor.

There's not a bill headed to the Honorable President Joseph Robinette Biden Jr.'s desk which will bust the railroad union.

:oops:

There's not a bill headed to the Honorable President Joseph Robinette Biden Jr.'s desk which will bust the railroad union.

:oops:
    The government forcing a labor union to accept a contract that they rejected is called what then?

The government forcing a labor union to accept a contract that they rejected is called what then?
    It's called labor mediation in the case of critical infrastructure. It's normal, and reasonable. I was also union worker which was not allowed by law to strike so I'm talking from experience. Some union positions are like this. Some jobs just must be done.

You're overamped with your rhetoric. The railroad workers got a reasonable contract with this, the railroad will continue to run.

It's called labor mediation in the case of critical infrastructure. It's normal, and reasonable. I was also union worker which was not allowed by law to strike so I'm talking from experience. Some union positions are like this. Some jobs just must be done.

You're overamped with your rhetoric. The railroad workers got a reasonable contract with this, the railroad will continue to run.

It's a very strange law that let's Congress union bust on behalf of private companies.

It's also not really that reasonable if you don't have sick leave. What century are we living in?

If it's this critical, nationalize, and make them all a public union with a no strike clause.

You're overarmed with your rhetoric. The railroad workers got a reasonable contract with this, the railroad will continue to run.
    Then congress and Joe Biden can go find people to do the job. Just because rich people cried when something made them sad shouldn't mean that eight unions lose the power to strike and it certainly shouldn't mean that the government should have the power to force people to work against their will. The rail workers should just quit. Let Congress put on some gloves and perform some of that "unskilled labor."

It's a very strange law that let's Congress union bust on behalf of private companies.

It's also not really that reasonable if you don't have sick leave. What century are we living in?

If it's this critical, nationalize, and make them all a public union with a no strike clause.
    It's not even really about sick leave. That's the narrative that's being discussed to make the workers look greedy. On their "days off" they're on call.

The railroad is always understaffed to save money on benefits so the people who are on call are always needed.

There's nothing new here, Railroad workers have not been allowed to strike for a lot longer than I've been alive. Congress and Presidents before now have settled their labor disputes in the past. As they have settled my own union brothers management disputes before as well.

They are hourly workers, paid sick leave is normally a part of salary workers contracts. That is another world.

What the issue for union hourly workers is getting unpaid leave to take time off if one is sick. I've never has paid leave, I've always fought for having enough unpaid leave if I was sick. Just being allowed to stay home if I was sick.

As hourly workers we got good wages and overtime, Holiday time, etc. I was accustom to having 10 unpaid leave days a year for being sick and going to a doctor. Our union had what we called health and welfare plan. That's how if we got sick for a long time we'd get out needs met though the union health and welfare. And a good retirement plan.

We didn't want to be salary workers, we would have had to give up way too much for that.

I don't know if you know it but this contract these rail workers got today will pay them a scale of around $155,000 a year. If they get a sizable amount of overtime and Holiday pay some might break $200,000 a year.

Their union also has a heath and welfare plan, and a retirement plan just as my union did.

I think there's no issue here.

There's nothing new here, Railroad workers have not been allowed to strike for a lot longer than I've been alive. Congress and Presidents before now have settled their labor disputes in the past. As they have settled my own union brothers management disputes before as well.

They are hourly workers, paid sick leave is normally a part of salary workers contracts. That is another world.

What the issue for union hourly workers is getting unpaid leave to take time off if one is sick. I've never has paid leave, I've always fought for having enough unpaid leave if I was sick. Just being allowed to stay home if I was sick.

As hourly workers we got good wages and overtime, Holiday time, etc. I was accustom to having 10 unpaid leave days a year for being sick and going to a doctor. Our union had what we called health and welfare plan. That's how if we got sick for a long time we'd get out needs met though the union health and welfare. And a good retirement plan.

We didn't want to be salary workers, we would have had to give up way too much for that.

I don't know if you know it but this contract these rail workers got today will pay them a scale of around $155,000 a year. If they get a sizable amount of overtime and Holiday pay some might break $200,000 a year.

Their union also has a heath and welfare plan, and a retirement plan just as my union did.

I think there's no issue here.
    The government had the option of siding with the workers and have the railroad provide days off.

Strike averted.

Instead they opted to, publicly, lick the billionaire's boots clean.

It's the American way.

The government had the option of siding with the workers and have the railroad provide days off.

Strike averted.

Instead they opted to, publicly, lick the billionaire's boots clean.

It's the American way.
    I think it makes little sense to lump together and refer to "the government" as a "they."

There's no "they" about it. It's more complicated to deal with "the government" as group of at least four factions, each with their own agenda. Doing so creates a more sensible narrative than oversimplifying it to the point that the narrative fails to be meaningful .

Two major factions of "the government" did side with rail union workers, and the two other major factions sided with the railroads. The result was a split decision where by the union workers got some of their demands met, and the railroad got some of their demands met.

I think the workers got sufficient of their demands met that they will now ratify the agreement as being settled without further ado, and the rail companies will go along with it as well.

Trains will run. But probably not run no more on time than they ever have been on time.

I just think it would be epically negligent and disastrous if the government took no action to prevent a strike because 3 of 13 Unions involved in these talks rejected the deal that was negotiated. When dealing with that many parties, it is impossible that everyone gets what they want.

There was a time, a long time ago, when people would say to me, "you look just like Rob Reiner." But that was before he lost most of his hair, and I didn't lose mine.

So why side with the railroads? Why not have the railroads give the employees the time off that they wanted?

We'll fight for capitalism down to our last bullet, unless it makes a billionaire sad. The free market doesn't work then.

I just think it would be epically negligent and disastrous if the government took no action to prevent a strike because 3 of 13 Unions involved in these talks rejected the deal that was negotiated. When dealing with that many parties, it is impossible that everyone gets what they want.
    I'm the treasurer of a union that negotiates on behalf of employees at 13 different companies.

I can negotiate whatever and come to a tentative agreement. That doesn't mean anything unless the members approve. They show their approval by voting. We have to, slowly, explain that to each company representative after every meeting because after every rejected contract proposal they sob about how they thought that we had a deal. Then we explain it again and if a proposal gets rejected again they, once again, cry about how they're wasting their time if we don't just agree to whatever they want.

I saw one article talking about how the union had negotiated and that should be the end of it. Obviously, somebody who was never in a union.

So, what I have seen. The employees are to be on call 24/7 365 days per year. They will be allowed 1 paid, and 3 unpaid days off per year that are to be scheduled 30 days in advance. If the company says no, the employee either doesn't get days off, or they call off. Every time that they call off they lose a vacation day and accrue a point toward discipline.

I hope that they quit in droves. I'm sure that their maintenance people will. Journeyman mechanics/electricians are incredibly difficult to hire. They won't have problems finding jobs. A lot will stay depending on seniority and how close they are to retirement.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom