All Things LGBTQ+ (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
    Reaction score
    Didn't really see a place for this so I thought I would start a thread about all things LGBTQ since this is a pretty hot topic in our culture right now

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/17/sup...y-that-refuses-to-work-with-lgbt-couples.html

• The Supreme Court on Thursday delivered a unanimous defeat to LGBT couples in a high-profile case over whether Philadelphia could refuse to contract with a Roman Catholic adoption agency that says its religious beliefs prevent it from working with same-sex foster parents.
    • Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in an opinion for a majority of the court that Philadelphia violated the First Amendment by refusing to contract with Catholic Social Services once it learned that the organization would not certify same-sex couples for adoption.

I will admit, I was hopeful for this decision by the SCOTUS but I was surprised by the unanimous decision.

While I don't think there is anything wrong, per se, with same sex couples adopting and raising children (I actually think it is a good thing as it not an abortion) but I also did not want to see the state force a religious institution to bend to a societal norm.

For instance, MRIs conducted on cis and trans people show that trans women have brains that more closely match cis women than cis men. That's reality. People are studying it. We can see evidence of it.

TBH, that sounds a lot like the pursuit of the gay gene. If you are referencing the Belgian study, it was a very small study... there is a lot missing there.

TBH, that sounds a lot like the pursuit of the gay gene. If you are referencing the Belgian study, it was a very small study... there is a lot missing there.

I didn't mean to imply that it's definitive, only that it's being studied and these are results that are being seen.

I treat strangers with courtesy which is a form of respect I would give everybody. It is called common courtesy. True respect is something that is earned later on.

That's the complete opposite of what you said, but that's not the point here. Do you respect your children?

Absolutely, I highly respected my children. Furthermore, I never demanded to be respected by my children. They always treat me with respect. And I fully respect them.

Then why would disrespect them by misgendering them or deadnaming them if they came out to you?

You are an expert one line poster, so you are more likely to be a BOT.

Maybe tribalism and racism are similar in that talking about it creates more of it.

You should mull that one over.

It does not work that way. Respect is earned and not demanded.

There are only two things people can do with respect, give it or withhold it.

You are either respectful of someone or you aren’t. Any metric you’ve crafted to decide whether someone has “earned” your respect is of your own creation. It isn’t up to us to measure up to your test. It’s just a way to rationalize withholding respect instead of owning the fact that you’re choosing to withhold respect.

I know how much you hate it when people expect others to accept their delusions, so maybe you should mull that one over.

Nope, I would go along with whatever gender they think they are. But, internally, I would be sad. I would accept them, but my brain would not be all in 100%.

You said you would misgender them. I even quoted it for you. If your child who you always thought was a boy came to you and said, "Dad, I'm a woman. My pronouns are she/her and my name is Sarah," would you call her Sarah and use she/her pronouns?

You said you would misgender them. I even quoted it for you. If your child who you always thought was a boy came to you and said, "Dad, I'm a woman. My pronouns are she/her and my name is Sarah," would you call her Sarah and use she/her pronouns?
    Eventually I would out of compassion. I have a son and if he told me he was a girl. I would say OK, but I would feel very sad. I guess in time I would get used to it.

There are only two things people can do with respect, give it or withhold it.
    You are confusing respect with courtesy.
    You are either respectful of someone or you aren’t.
    You mean corteous.
    Any metric you’ve crafted to decide whether someone has “earned” your respect is of your own creation.
    Nope. I will respect someone if I think that person is outstanding.
    It isn’t up to us to measure up to your test. I
    It is not a test. Everybody gets courtesy.
    t’s just a way to rationalize withholding respect instead of owning the fact that you’re choosing to withhold respect.
    Sewe above.

You are confusing respect with courtesy.
    I'm not.

I'm not saying everyone should always respect everyone else. I have made it clear that i choose to withhold respect from you.

I am saying that whether or not you respect someone is because of choices you make, not them.

I am saying that whether or not you respect someone is because of choices you make, not them.
    I fully agree. I make the choice based on behavior or personality I like or dislike. However, I give basic courtesy which in my book is the lowest form of respect. It is the type of respect that everybody gets.

Out of courtesy I would call a transgender woman "she" even if she still looks masculine. I have no issues with that. However, I would not comply with anyone that wants to manipulate my behavior and speech beyond basic courtesy. There is also the possibility that one could inadvertently make a speech error and the Trans person gets upset. If the trans person goes ballistic I would just walk way to avoid a confrontation.

Lastly speech should never be compelled. Imagine I believe I am royalty and I demanded you to use my preferred pronoun His Royal Highness (HRC). If you don't I would classify you as persona non-grata, a bigot.

New Zealand is much progressive than America and they are now looking into the issue of giving these drugs to children. IMO it is child abuse in the name of fanatical religious ideology. Many of the kids with doubts are actually gay or lesbian and they do not need drugs or surgeries.

Eventually I would out of compassion. I have a son and if he told me he was a girl. I would say OK, but I would feel very sad. I guess in time I would get used to it.

If you would "eventually" stop dehumanizing your own child, that's not compassion. That's wanton cruelty.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom