All Things LGBTQ+ (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
    Reaction score
    Didn't really see a place for this so I thought I would start a thread about all things LGBTQ since this is a pretty hot topic in our culture right now

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/17/sup...y-that-refuses-to-work-with-lgbt-couples.html

• The Supreme Court on Thursday delivered a unanimous defeat to LGBT couples in a high-profile case over whether Philadelphia could refuse to contract with a Roman Catholic adoption agency that says its religious beliefs prevent it from working with same-sex foster parents.
    • Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in an opinion for a majority of the court that Philadelphia violated the First Amendment by refusing to contract with Catholic Social Services once it learned that the organization would not certify same-sex couples for adoption.

I will admit, I was hopeful for this decision by the SCOTUS but I was surprised by the unanimous decision.

While I don't think there is anything wrong, per se, with same sex couples adopting and raising children (I actually think it is a good thing as it not an abortion) but I also did not want to see the state force a religious institution to bend to a societal norm.

That's why I said, "and/or". I was asking for your thoughts on both.
    Give me the details to your hypothetical. Is my kid male or female and why was he/she bullied and or disrespected?

A 'strong desire' and a 'strong conviction' was used in the actual link that I quoted. My thoughts used the synonym.

Where do you get that info. I have nothing but compassion and understanding. If a trans woman wants me to call her "her" I will.

I got it from you, Paul. In this very thread:

That is just over the top PC talk Brandon. Some people on the left elevate the PC stuff to religion and force themselves to speak the prescribed gospel at all times.

I have five kids and I changed their diapers when they were babies. I know which ones are the girls and who is the boy. I would not go around saying I have a daughter because she identifies as a girl. That is just over the top PC speech.

If one of my daughters had gender dysphoria I would show compassion and accept her. However, in my mind I would always know she is a girl that wants to act like a boy. I would not call her my son.

Brandon: When it comes to brains the left is usually better than the extreme right, but somehow they lose in some issues like this one.

But, I cannot change my perception of reality to fit her perception of reality. Im my world there is a distinction between a biological woman and a trans woman. I cannot see them as the same no matter how hard I try.

Your failure to see reality does not mean it isn't reality. For instance, MRIs conducted on cis and trans people show that trans women have brains that more closely match cis women than cis men. That's reality. People are studying it. We can see evidence of it.

Why is it my responsibility to affirm their 'lived experiences' or identity when that identify and lived experience goes directly against reality and even science?

Except it doesn't go against science. We learn more and more as studies are conducted, and the strict notion that boys have penises and girls have vaginas is falling by the wayside. As much as it may hurt, Kindergarten Cop is not the scientific masterpiece we all hoped it would be.

Give me the details to your hypothetical. Is my kid male or female and why was he/she bullied and or disrespected?

None of that matters. If you can't give an immediate answer as to what your reaction would be if your kid told you they were bullied and/or disrespected... wow.

I got it from you, Paul. In this very thread:

Your failure to see reality does not mean it isn't reality. For instance, MRIs conducted on cis and trans people show that trans women have brains that more closely match cis women than cis men. That's reality. People are studying it. We can see evidence of it.
    I have more compassion than anyone in the planet. I also have no issues with transgenders and I fully accept them. However, between my two ears where the brain resides I will always know a trans woman is not the same as a biological woman. If my Son wanted to be a girl I would love "her" the same. However, I could not convince myself that now my son is now a full blown woman with all the bells and whistles.

A 'strong desire' and a 'strong conviction' was used in the actual link that I quoted. My thoughts used the synonym.

Belief is not the same as desire. You got one word in that entire thing, and that requires literally ignoring everything else to make your point.

I have more compassion than anyone in the planet. I also have no issues with transgenders and I fully accept them. However, between my two ears where the brain resides I will always know a trans woman is not the same as a biological woman. If my Son wanted to be a girl I would love "her" the same. However, I could not convince myself that now my son is now a full blown woman with all the bells and whistles.

Intentionally misgendering and deadnaming are not compassionate or respectful acts. They're cruel. Your inability to accept reality does not give you the license to treat people with cruelty.

Intentionally misgendering and deadnaming are not compassionate or respectful acts. They're cruel. Your inability to accept reality does not give you the license to treat people with cruelty.
    My thoughts are my thoughts. I cannot control my thoughts but I could pretend a trans woman is like a biological woman to please people around me. But, I would virtue signaling.

None of that matters. If you can't give an immediate answer as to what your reaction would be if your kid told you they were bullied and/or disrespected... wow.
    Sure it matters. My kid can be a dick. Did he deserve it?

Making a decision based on emotion of the moment rarely turns out well. Better to get all the facts before flying into the principles office seeking vengeance. I am also assuming this happens at school?

Now as a parent, yes, my first instinct would be to protect my child, as any parent worth their salt would do. Although a rando might not have that same instinct about my child. I would kill and or die without question or hesitation for my kid. But I also will not cripple him/her emotionally by teaching him/her that situations are best handled by emotional responses in life and someone will always be there to help. Sometimes, you are on your own in this world. Reality and all that.

My thoughts are my thoughts. I cannot control my thoughts but I could pretend a trans woman is like a biological woman to please people around me. But, I would virtue signaling.
    I'm really not convinced you aren't a bot. It's like, how many buzz words can you squeeze into one day's posts?

Except it doesn't go against science. We learn more and more as studies are conducted, and the strict notion that boys have penises and girls have vaginas is falling by the wayside. As much as it may hurt, Kindergarten Cop is not the scientific masterpiece we all hoped it would be.
    You shut your mouth! John Kimble is a national treasure. :D

On a side note, I am often drink at the same establishment as the 'bad' guy in that movie. He is actually a very nice guy.

Nobody cares what you think. It's your actions that matter. And I don't know why this has to be said so many times, but acting in a manner that shows you acknowledge reality is not a bad thing and it definitely isn't virtue signaling.

Sure it matters. My kid can be a dick. Did he deserve it?

Making a decision based on emotion of the moment rarely turns out well. Better to get all the facts before flying into the principles office seeking vengeance. I am also assuming this happens at school?

Now as a parent, yes, my first instinct would be to protect my child, as any parent worth their salt would do. Although a rando might not have that same instinct about my child. I would kill and or die without question or hesitation for my kid. But I also will not cripple him/her emotionally by teaching him/her that situations are best handled by emotional responses in life and someone will always be there to help. Sometimes, you are on your own in this world. Reality and all that.

And by misgendering your child, you are not protecting them. You are the bully. That's why it's horrifying- it's bullying your own child.

And I mean 'you' in a generic way, not you specifically.

Why is it my responsibility to affirm their 'lived experiences' or identity when that identify and lived experience goes directly against reality and even science?

Because they've asked you to

If someone converted to Islam and changed their name you'd refuse to acknowledge the new name? Even after being told repeatedly?

"I know you as Jeremy, I don't care what you call yourself, I'm going to call you Jeremy"

If someone converted to Islam and changed their name you'd refuse to acknowledge the new name? Even after being told repeatedly?

"I know you as Jeremy, I don't care what you call yourself, I'm going to call you Jeremy"
    Yes and no. We are not under the control of others. What if I tell you to stand and pledge and say a prayer in front of the flag in school? I would be offended if you do not.
    Nobody cares what you think. It's your actions that matter. And I don't know why this has to be said so many times, but acting in a manner that shows you acknowledge reality is not a bad thing and it definitely isn't virtue signaling.
    It does not work that way. Respect is earned and not demanded.

A pronoun is a tad different than a name or what religion you follow but I will play along..

Do they have the name 'jeremy' tattooed on their forehead? Are they wearing a name tag that says 'jeremy'? If so, then you can only expect so much.

Do they still wear the cross around their neck after conversion to Islam? Because if so, you can't blame for assuming and addressing them as a Christian.

People ask me to do all type of things that I don't do. If a dude in a dress asked me to call him Sally, I would call him Sally just out of sheer politeness and because I am not an ahole. Now if Sally demanded I call him Sally, well, there is a problem. If I accidentally called Sally a 'he' and Sally caused a scene or flew into so self deluded rage, then there is another problem. Don't confuse courtesy and politeness for suspension of reality or blind acceptance.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom