All Things LGBTQ+ (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
    Reaction score
    Didn't really see a place for this so I thought I would start a thread about all things LGBTQ since this is a pretty hot topic in our culture right now

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/17/sup...y-that-refuses-to-work-with-lgbt-couples.html

• The Supreme Court on Thursday delivered a unanimous defeat to LGBT couples in a high-profile case over whether Philadelphia could refuse to contract with a Roman Catholic adoption agency that says its religious beliefs prevent it from working with same-sex foster parents.
    • Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in an opinion for a majority of the court that Philadelphia violated the First Amendment by refusing to contract with Catholic Social Services once it learned that the organization would not certify same-sex couples for adoption.

I will admit, I was hopeful for this decision by the SCOTUS but I was surprised by the unanimous decision.

While I don't think there is anything wrong, per se, with same sex couples adopting and raising children (I actually think it is a good thing as it not an abortion) but I also did not want to see the state force a religious institution to bend to a societal norm.

Traditional Marriage beliefs is code for anti-gay marriage

A police officer in Georgia resigned last week after he said superiors attempted to suppress him from sharing his religious beliefs on social media.

Jacob Kersey, 19, gave up his position with the Port Wentworth Police Department after weeks of being attacked over a tweet where he shared his religious beliefs on marriage, according to a report.

"God designed marriage. Marriage refers to Christ and the church," Kersey wrote in a message posted to his Facebook page on Jan. 2. "That's why there is no such thing as homosexual marriage."

A day after posting the message, Kersey was called by his superior, who told him to remove the post because someone had complained, he said.

Kersey declined, and the superior then told him that if he did not remove the post, he could be fired.

Another superior, Lt. Justin Hardy, soon contacted the then-officer and informed him that the department wanted to avoid being held liable in a "use of force" incident with someone identifying as an LGBT individual, the report noted.................

Last edited:
    VATICAN CITY (AP) — Pope Francis criticized laws that criminalize homosexuality as “unjust,” saying God loves all his children just as they are and called on Catholic bishops who support the laws to welcome LGBTQ people into the church.

“Being homosexual isn’t a crime,” Francis said during an exclusive interview Tuesday with The Associated Press.

Francis acknowledged that Catholic bishops in some parts of the world support laws that criminalize homosexuality or discriminate against LGBTQ people, and he himself referred to the issue in terms of “sin.”

But he attributed such attitudes to cultural backgrounds, and said bishops in particular need to undergo a process of change to recognize the dignity of everyone……..

I am shocked that I agree with this guy on something finally.

VATICAN CITY (AP) — Pope Francis criticized laws that criminalize homosexuality as “unjust,” saying God loves all his children just as they are and called on Catholic bishops who support the laws to welcome LGBTQ people into the church.

“Being homosexual isn’t a crime,” Francis said during an exclusive interview Tuesday with The Associated Press.

Francis acknowledged that Catholic bishops in some parts of the world support laws that criminalize homosexuality or discriminate against LGBTQ people, and he himself referred to the issue in terms of “sin.”

But he attributed such attitudes to cultural backgrounds, and said bishops in particular need to undergo a process of change to recognize the dignity of everyone……..

So the Pope thinks homosexuality is not a secular crime.... cool beans. :rolleyes:

Has the Vatican released the back-pedalling statement yet?

Gay and heterosexual men prefer masculine-presenting men in leadership positions over those deemed more feminine, according to a University of Sydney study, suggesting that gay men themselves are “complicit” in penalising “feminine-presenting members of their own community”.

Ben Gerrard, the study’s lead author, told Guardian Australia: “In society there is a strong association between gayness and femininity and many gay men grow up with an unconscious idea that gayness is bad, so they may consciously or unconsciously suppress feminine traits.”

In the study – published in the journal Sex Roles – researchers asked 256 Australian men (half who are gay, and half who are heterosexual) to select a gay man to represent Sydney in a mock tourism campaign.

They were shown videos of six gay, white male actors performing the same short script in two ways: with their body language and voice adjusted to appear more feminine and with their performance delivered in a more traditionally masculine style.

Participants were asked to choose the candidate they thought people would most admire and think of as a leader.

The study found that participants, including gay men, were significantly more likely to cast a masculine-presenting actor than a feminine actor. The research suggests that despite being part of the same minority group, gay men may be “complicit” in bias against feminine-presenting gay men from reaching higher-status positions.

It adds to growing research about gay men’s “intraminority” biases against feminine-presenting men, whereas masculine qualities, behaviours and appearances are regarded as more favourable……

Gay and heterosexual men prefer masculine-presenting men in leadership positions over those deemed more feminine, according to a University of Sydney study, suggesting that gay men themselves are “complicit” in penalising “feminine-presenting members of their own community”.

Ben Gerrard, the study’s lead author, told Guardian Australia: “In society there is a strong association between gayness and femininity and many gay men grow up with an unconscious idea that gayness is bad, so they may consciously or unconsciously suppress feminine traits.”

In the study – published in the journal Sex Roles – researchers asked 256 Australian men (half who are gay, and half who are heterosexual) to select a gay man to represent Sydney in a mock tourism campaign.

They were shown videos of six gay, white male actors performing the same short script in two ways: with their body language and voice adjusted to appear more feminine and with their performance delivered in a more traditionally masculine style.

Participants were asked to choose the candidate they thought people would most admire and think of as a leader.

The study found that participants, including gay men, were significantly more likely to cast a masculine-presenting actor than a feminine actor. The research suggests that despite being part of the same minority group, gay men may be “complicit” in bias against feminine-presenting gay men from reaching higher-status positions.

It adds to growing research about gay men’s “intraminority” biases against feminine-presenting men, whereas masculine qualities, behaviours and appearances are regarded as more favourable……

Not surprised at all by this. There is an element of hyper masculinity in parts of gay culture. We are not immune to the broader culture.

Traditional Marriage beliefs is code for anti-gay marriage

A police officer in Georgia resigned last week after he said superiors attempted to suppress him from sharing his religious beliefs on social media.

Jacob Kersey, 19, gave up his position with the Port Wentworth Police Department after weeks of being attacked over a tweet where he shared his religious beliefs on marriage, according to a report.

"God designed marriage. Marriage refers to Christ and the church," Kersey wrote in a message posted to his Facebook page on Jan. 2. "That's why there is no such thing as homosexual marriage."

A day after posting the message, Kersey was called by his superior, who told him to remove the post because someone had complained, he said.

Kersey declined, and the superior then told him that if he did not remove the post, he could be fired.

Another superior, Lt. Justin Hardy, soon contacted the then-officer and informed him that the department wanted to avoid being held liable in a "use of force" incident with someone identifying as an LGBT individual, the report noted.................

As misguided as this young man is, I think this is unfair. He posted this on his social media, not the Dept., and his misguided beliefs on marriage have nothing to do with his professional life.

I'll add, "traditional marriage beliefs" is not in code, it very much says that a person doesn't believe people of the same sex should be married. However, attaching "anti-" to anything carries a negative connotation, a connotation that you'll do anything in your power to stop something from happening, which is not the case all the time.

This should come as shocking to no one. We tend to forget that we humans are animals. This has nothing to do with sexuality or gender.

As misguided as this young man is, I think this is unfair. He posted this on his social media, not the Dept., and his misguided beliefs on marriage have nothing to do with his professional life.

I don't know if I agree. I see your point, but as a gay person, how can I trust that a police officer/public servant who believes this:

is going to treat me, my spouse, my marriage and my family the same professional way he would treat heterosexual families in the same situation? If he values my family as "less than", why would he treat us equally?

He was given an opportunity to remove it and not do it again, but he refused and decided to resign. That is his right, but I don't think it was wrong of the department to demand it given his position of public trust.

I don't know if I agree. I see your point, but as a gay person, how can I trust that a police officer/public servant who believes this:

My default position is not to trust the police, regardless of what they post or don't post on social media. I don't care about their opinions, I care that their actions do no infringe on my rights as a citizen.

My default position is not to trust the police, regardless of what they post or don't post on social media. I don't care about their opinions, I care that their actions do no infringe on my rights as a citizen.

That's fair. I don't really care what a cops opinion is either as long as they don't infringe on my rights, but I do think it's a problem for the police department.

If this cop ever acts unethically or infringes the rights of an LGBTQ citizen, then that department has a huge problem on their hands because they knew he harbored these beliefs/feelings. Especially if there is anything that indicates a pattern of mistreatment and abuse. So I could understand the police department not wanting their officers to express opinions like that publicly.

Arkansas Republicans proposed a bill that would classify drag performances as "adult-oriented businesses" earlier this month, another example of a nationwide wave of anti-drag and anti-trans legislation pushed by GOP lawmakers.

But the bill, SB43, is so confusing it may not even apply to most drag shows, UCLA School of Law professor Eugene Volokh said.

If enacted, it would classify a drag performances and places that host them as "adult-oriented" — like adult video stores and strip clubs. This would restrict where in public drag can be performed and who can attend a drag performance.

SB43 also features a section about intending to appeal to the "prurient interest," a term not defined in the bill. According to Volokh, it's clearly defined in obscenity law.

"It's one of the prongs essentially of the three-prong obscenity test," Volokh said. "And it means a shameful or morbid interest in sex or excretion and sex in the sense of sexual activity."

But it's also a relatively narrow term. "It has to be, essentially in some respect, erotic," he said, for it to meet the standards of "prurient interest."

"The typical drag performance, this law properly applied, that is to say, applied with an understanding of the legal meaning of prurient interest, would not cover them," Volokh said............

That's fair. I don't really care what a cops opinion is either as long as they don't infringe on my rights, but I do think it's a problem for the police department.

If this cop ever acts unethically or infringes the rights of an LGBTQ citizen, then that department has a huge problem on their hands because they knew he harbored these beliefs/feelings. Especially if there is anything that indicates a pattern of mistreatment and abuse. So I could understand the police department not wanting their officers to express opinions like that publicly.

Frankly, that's a lot of if's and projection; and it's not like he posted "kill teh gheys" or anything of that sort. As for any problems police departments may have, come on; a black man just bot beat to death by black cops, they stand pat when kids are getting shot, they have been infiltrated by white supremacists, and every day, somewhere, they violate the rights of citizens from all walks of life. And they don't write anything on social media.

Frankly, that's a lot of if's and projection; and it's not like he posted "kill teh gheys" or anything of that sort. As for any problems police departments may have, come on; a black man just bot beat to death by black cops, they stand pat when kids are getting shot, they have been infiltrated by white supremacists, and every day, somewhere, they violate the rights of citizens from all walks of life. And they don't write anything on social media.

Actually, I think a lot of those problematic cops probably do write things on social media. It's just under an alias and not caught by their departments. People always want to share their true feelings. Case in point, all of us here.

I don't know that this officer harbors any "kill the gheys" feelings or desires. I certainly can't say so with just what he posted. But I bet he believes the world would be much better off if there weren't so many gheys or if we were still in the closet and were social outcast that are shunned by society.

This is a Democrat backed bill.

https://www.fox29.com/news/connecticut-bill-would-ban-latinx-term
    HARTFORD, Conn. - A group of Hispanic lawmakers in Connecticut has proposed that the state follow Arkansas' lead and ban the term "Latinx" from official government documents, calling it offensive to Spanish speakers.

The word is used as a gender-neutral alternative to "Latino" and "Latina" and is helpful in supporting people who do not identify as either male or female, according to the word's backers.

But state Rep. Geraldo Reyes Jr. of Waterbury, the bill's chief sponsor and one of five Hispanic Democrats who put their names on the legislation, said Latinx is not a Spanish word but is rather a "woke" term that is offensive to Connecticut's large Puerto Rican population.

ABOARD THE PAPAL PLANE (AP) — Pope Francis, the head of the Anglican Communion and top Presbyterian minister together denounced the criminalization of homosexuality on Sunday and said gay people should be welcomed by their churches.

The three Christian leaders spoke out on LGBTQ rights during an unprecedented joint airborne news conference returning home from South Sudan, where they took part in a three-day ecumenical pilgrimage to try to nudge the young country’s peace process forward.

They were asked about Francis’ recent comments to The Associated Press, in which he declared that laws that criminalize gay people were “unjust” and that “being homosexual is not a crime.”

South Sudan is one of 67 countries that criminalizes homosexuality, 11 of them with the death penalty. LGBTQ advocates say even where such laws are not applied, they contribute to a climate of harassment, discrimination and violence.

Francis referred his Jan. 24 comments to the AP and repeated that such laws are “unjust.” He also repeated previous comments that parents should never throw their gay children out of the house.

“To condemn someone like this is a sin,” he said. “Criminalizing people with homosexual tendencies is an injustice.”

“People with homosexual tendencies are children of God. God Loves them. God accompanies them,” he added.

The Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby, recalled that LGBTQ rights were very much on the current agenda of the Church of England, and said he would quote the pope’s own words when the issue is discussed at the church’s upcoming General Synod.

“I wish I had spoken as eloquently and clearly as the pope. I entirely agree with every word he said,” Welby said.

Recently, the Church of England decided to allow blessings for same-sex civil marriages but said same-sex couples could not marry in its churches. The Vatican forbids both gay marriage and blessings for same-sex unions……..

ABOARD THE PAPAL PLANE (AP) — Pope Francis, the head of the Anglican Communion and top Presbyterian minister together denounced the criminalization of homosexuality on Sunday and said gay people should be welcomed by their churches.

The three Christian leaders spoke out on LGBTQ rights during an unprecedented joint airborne news conference returning home from South Sudan, where they took part in a three-day ecumenical pilgrimage to try to nudge the young country’s peace process forward.

They were asked about Francis’ recent comments to The Associated Press, in which he declared that laws that criminalize gay people were “unjust” and that “being homosexual is not a crime.”

South Sudan is one of 67 countries that criminalizes homosexuality, 11 of them with the death penalty. LGBTQ advocates say even where such laws are not applied, they contribute to a climate of harassment, discrimination and violence.

Francis referred his Jan. 24 comments to the AP and repeated that such laws are “unjust.” He also repeated previous comments that parents should never throw their gay children out of the house.

“To condemn someone like this is a sin,” he said. “Criminalizing people with homosexual tendencies is an injustice.”

“People with homosexual tendencies are children of God. God Loves them. God accompanies them,” he added.

The Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby, recalled that LGBTQ rights were very much on the current agenda of the Church of England, and said he would quote the pope’s own words when the issue is discussed at the church’s upcoming General Synod.

“I wish I had spoken as eloquently and clearly as the pope. I entirely agree with every word he said,” Welby said.

Recently, the Church of England decided to allow blessings for same-sex civil marriages but said same-sex couples could not marry in its churches. The Vatican forbids both gay marriage and blessings for same-sex unions……..

2000 years too late. Francis' hollowed words don't begin to apologize for centuries of injustice committed against countless people. And no, the Abrahamic god does not love homosexuals. It says so very explicitly in the manuals.

Let's see the pope officiate a wedding between two men or two women, then we'll talk.

Interesting point of view that anti drag is simply the far right's outrage du jour after moving on from anti vax/mask and stop the steal
    =====================================================================================

The Proud Boys are on the march against the LGBTQ+ community — and especially against drag performers.

Once a week on average last year, the extremist group waved its black flag at "straight pride" rallies or shouted slurs during tense protests against gender-affirming health care and Pride Month celebrations.

But drag —an ancient, misunderstood art form — was the group's number one target.

There was a nationwide surge of at least 174 anti-LGBTQ+ demonstrations last year, according to the latest stats from the Armed Conflict Location & Event Data Project, or ACLED.

By December, the Proud Boys were showing up at roughly half of these demonstrations, watchdogs say.

"Among the far-right militias and militant social movements that we track, the Proud Boys were the top group involved in anti-LGBT+ incidents in 2022 by a significant margin," said Sam Jones, who directs communications for ACLED.

ACLED recently shared its raw data with Insider.

It shows alarming trends.

Proud Boys had averaged just one or two anti-LGBTQ+ protests per month for most of 2022, but picked up speed by the end of the year, with 13 anti-LGBTQ+ protests in December, more than in any other month last year, ACLED data shows. These included demonstrations against the Fresno Drag Festival in California and against "Drag Queen Christmas" shows in California, Texas, Tennessee, and Florida.

By the end of 2022, the Proud Boys had joined or led 53 anti-LGBTQ+ protests in total for the year. Of those protests, 34 — or 60% — were drag-related, most of them targeting family-friendly dance parties and story hours.

Drag is not synonymous with LGBTQ+ and one doesn't need to identify as queer to participate in drag. But the performance-art form has become a big, sparkly avatar for the extreme right in its pushback against LGBTQ+ rights.

GLAAD has tallied 141 incidents in 2022 of anti-LGBTQ+ protests, campaign rhetoric and threats targeting drag events.

The street protests coincide with growing attacks on drag in statehouses. In January, 14 bills were introduced aiming to restrict drag shows across Arizona, Arkansas, Missouri, Nebraska, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and West Virginia, according to the free-speech advocacy group PEN America.

"There was this really big push in December," in protests against drag in particular, confirms Emily Kaufman, who researches Proud Boys activity for the Anti-Defamation League's Center on Extremism.

The push is strategic, she said.

The Proud Boys are tracking the culture wars, and as public attention shifts away from their previous mainstays of anti-COVID mandates and "stop the steal" election denial rallies, the group is moving on to the next hot-button issue, she said...........

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom