All Things LGBTQ+ (4 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
    Reaction score
    Didn't really see a place for this so I thought I would start a thread about all things LGBTQ since this is a pretty hot topic in our culture right now

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/17/sup...y-that-refuses-to-work-with-lgbt-couples.html

• The Supreme Court on Thursday delivered a unanimous defeat to LGBT couples in a high-profile case over whether Philadelphia could refuse to contract with a Roman Catholic adoption agency that says its religious beliefs prevent it from working with same-sex foster parents.
    • Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in an opinion for a majority of the court that Philadelphia violated the First Amendment by refusing to contract with Catholic Social Services once it learned that the organization would not certify same-sex couples for adoption.

I will admit, I was hopeful for this decision by the SCOTUS but I was surprised by the unanimous decision.

While I don't think there is anything wrong, per se, with same sex couples adopting and raising children (I actually think it is a good thing as it not an abortion) but I also did not want to see the state force a religious institution to bend to a societal norm.

What prompted the 1st crusade? Would you agree, at the very minimum that the Islamic conquest of Jerusalem was the cause? You have to remember that Jerusalem and all of the middle east were majority Christian, until the Islamic invasion.
    I also remember Jerusalem being in the Middle East, not Europe, and not in European control until it was invaded by Europeans.

Who fired first on private property, either one, Waco or RR?
    Who fired at the federal agents with the bench warrants first?

Do you consider a siege to be an investigation?
    No. But again, bench warrants.
    Yeah, they were cultist. Is that illegal?
    You didn't ask about legalities. You asked about public safety.

Did they ever find out for sure if there stockpiles of weapons
    Yes.
    and if there was child abuse? (In my mind having a kid on a cultist compound is child abuse
    Ok, then.

but I don't think in order to fix that, the state should murder the kids either).
    The State didn't murder anyone.

When looking at the right wing in this country, the proof that the bible actually teaches morals is scant. No group pushes the bible more and yet is more bereft of morals than Republicans.
    Agree. The idea that the bible is the book of instructions on how we as human beings should behave is extremely narrow-minded. Most cultures, belief systems, and so forth, have likeminded instructions.

For example:

SEVEN LAKOTA VALUES​

FORTITUDE – WOWAČÍŊTAŊKA​

Fortitude means facing danger or challenges with courage, strength, and confidence. Believing in oneself allows a person to face challenges. Fortitude includes the ability to come to terms with problems, accept them, and to find a solution that is good for everyone.
    One of the first lessons a Lakota child learned in the old days was self-control and self-restraint in the presence of parents or adults. Mastery and abilities came from games and creative play. Someone more skilled than oneself was viewed as a role model, not as a competitor. Striving was for achieving a personal goal, not for being superior to one’s opponent. Success was a possession of the many, not of the few.
    Fortitude may require patience, perseverance, and strength of mind in the face of challenges. It involves having confidence in oneself and the courage to continue even when all odds are against you. Fear still exists, but you proceed despite fear.

GENEROSITY – WAČÁŊTOGNAKA​

Generosity means contributing to the well-being of one’s people and all life by sharing and giving freely. This sharing is not just about objects and possessions but emotions like sympathy, compassion, and kindness. It also means to be generous with one’s time. The act of giving and not looking for anything in return can make you a better person and make you happy.
    Giveaways have always been part of Lakota society. At important events, the family gathers their belongings and sets them out for any person in the community to take. “What you give away, you keep; what you keep, you lose” is an old Lakota saying.

KINSHIP – WÓTAKUYE​

Kinship is one of the essential values coming from the tiyóšpaye, the extended family. It includes the ideas of living in harmony, belonging, relations as the true wealth, and the importance of trusting in others. It is one of the values that made the tiyóšpaye work.
    Family is the measure of your wealth. They will support you in good times and in bad times. For a Lakota, you belong to a tiyóšpaye through birth, marriage, or adoption. Your family even extends out to your band and the whole Lakota nation. Whenever you travel somewhere, you can expect to be welcomed and supported as if you were in your own immediate family.
    In traditional Lakota society, wótakuye was a little different from what it is today. The Lakota were a warrior and hunting society. This meant the men might not return when they went out to fight or to hunt. So, the network of relatives ensured the women, children, and elders would not be left alone. In these times, generosity was the way of life, and resources were meant to be shared.

PRAYER – WÓČEKIYA​

The Lakota stress the importance of speaking directly to the Creator – Tuŋkášila, and to having a close and open relationship with the Great Spirit – Wakáŋ Táŋka.
    They believe Mother Earth is sacred, and so they honor and respect her greatly. They give thanks to the Creator daily through living consciously and by praying to the Great Spirit. The Lakota people believe that the land does not belong to them, but rather that we belong to the land. As such, they recite daily prayers of thanks to Mother Earth and the Great Spirit for all they continue to bless us with and for the great privilege and honor of life.

RESPECT – WAÓHOLA​

Respect for the self, family, community all life. For people to live together in peace, they have to respect one another. The old are respected for their wisdom, and the young are respected because they are the people’s future. This attitude also means reverence for all other living things in the world.
    Everything was put on this earth by the Great Spirit. All people and things are relatives. Holy men tell us “everything is one.” This reverence is expressed in daily prayers and by the way we act. The outcome of this respect is peace in families, among tribes and other people regardless of nationality.

WISDOM – WÓKSAPE​

The knowledge and wisdom of elders are very important for the well-being of the Lakota people. This is understood to be something sought and gained over the course of one’s entire life.
    Wisdom has to do with understanding the meaning within natural processes and patterns. It means knowing the design and purpose of life.
    It also has to do with understanding and living the spiritual values and beliefs upon which one’s culture is founded and being able to share these with others. Wisdom means being able to incorporate the sacred way of life into one’s own life and to respect and honor all life. It means being open to the dreams of the day and the night when spiritual direction may come to a receptive child or adult seeking wisdom.

COMPASSION – WÓWAUŊŠILA​

Compassion and care for all especially the old ones, the young ones, those in mourning, those who work helping the people. Care for others as you would yourself because we are all part of this circle of life. Compassion is important to the Lakota people, as they all work together and lean on one another for support and survival. This includes following the values each day and including everyone in daily wóčekiya – Prayers.

https://aktalakota.stjo.org/lakota-culture/seven-lakota-values/

Yep. I’ll bet you the ratio of right wing nut jobs in the classroom to left wing nut jobs is at least 5:1
    I taught high school for a number of years. I don't think there are a lot of nutjobs in education. I'd say it's a pretty even distribution of hard right vs hard left. At least in my anecdotal observation.

What a bunch of complete poppycock. You and/or the Christian faith are not being targeted. What is happening is that people no longer want to be ruled by you (your specific religion) and it makes you feel like you’re being discriminated against.

There is a complete and comprehensive moral basis in society without using any specific religion thank you very much. Almost every religion seeks to value service to others. Get over your bias. You’re being led astray by some very unChristian people and values.

And noted that you decline to name any of these so-called experts.
    When did we have a Christian government installed? Did I miss the theocratical government I was so looking forward too?
    Every religion does value service over self, just not the religion of self that is so hot with the young kids today. LOL.

I don't feel the need to name people that are in the academia and feel that religion morals and backbone would be a good thing for the future of our civilization. You love to act like my claim is so crazy and outside the norm. Truly astonishing really.

I also remember Jerusalem being in the Middle East, not Europe, and not in European control until it was invaded by Europeans.

Who fired at the federal agents with the bench warrants first?

No. But again, bench warrants.

You didn't ask about legalities. You asked about public safety.

Yes.

Ok, then.

The State didn't murder anyone.
    It is in the middle east, but are you saying that because of the origin of the troops/leaders involved, is the reason it should not have happened?
    The area was a majority Christian before the Rashidun seige and conquest. Once that happened, the new rulers allowed pilgrimages to the city but violence and destruction was ramped up with Christian being slaughtered on several occasions and those christian and jews that lived in the city were force coverted or taxed and subjigated until they 'freely' converted. This as well as the Byzantium being pushed by both the turks and the new caliphate is what was the cause for the 1st crusade to be called for.
    Just like I think more needs to be done to protect Christians in Africa even by those Christians that are not native to Africa, the crusades were necessary.

In Waco, a DEA (I think it was DEA) agent went on record but was quickly redacted that his partner shot first (a dog) so no one really knows as well as RR. But I take it you believe whatever the government says? You don't seem like that guy, but I am wrong all the time.

Does public safety not have a direct correlation to law?

It is in the middle east, but are you saying that because of the origin of the troops/leaders involved, is the reason it should not have happened?
    The area was a majority Christian before the Rashidun seige and conquest. Once that happened, the new rulers allowed pilgrimages to the city but violence and destruction was ramped up with Christian being slaughtered on several occasions and those christian and jews that lived in the city were force coverted or taxed and subjigated until they 'freely' converted. This as well as the Byzantium being pushed by both the turks and the new caliphate is what was the cause for the 1st crusade to be called for.
    Just like I think more needs to be done to protect Christians in Africa even by those Christians that are not native to Africa, the crusades were necessary.

In Waco, a DEA (I think it was DEA) agent went on record but was quickly redacted that his partner shot first (a dog) so no one really knows as well as RR. But I take it you believe whatever the government says? You don't seem like that guy, but I am wrong all the time.

Does public safety not have a direct correlation to law?
    If only there was a Lords Resistance Army in Africa protecting the Christians.

(Bloomberg) -- In their latest anti-LGBTQ push, conservative lawmakers from multiple US states have recently introduced a series of bills targeting drag performances, particularly those with kids in attendance.

Legislators from at least seven states — Arizona, Idaho, Michigan, Montana, Missouri, Tennessee and Texas — have proposed anti-drag laws in recent months.

“This is really brand new,” said Sarah Warbelow, legal director for the Human Rights Campaign. “Prior to this, there had been attacks on drag story hours at libraries by conservative entities and there had been a lot of critiques, but not legislative attacks.” There were at least 141 anti-LGBTQ protests, threats and violent actions against drag events and venues in the US last year, a report from LGBTQ advocacy group GLAAD found.

One bill proposed Friday in Arizona would make it a misdemeanor to put on a drag performance in a public place. The change would classify drag as an “adult cabaret performance” similar to topless dancers or strippers, according to the bill text. Another bill introduced in the state last week would ban the use of state money for drag shows for anyone under 18, essentially prohibiting appearances at schools and public libraries...........

I taught high school for a number of years. I don't think there are a lot of nutjobs in education. I'd say it's a pretty even distribution of hard right vs hard left. At least in my anecdotal observation.
    Fair enough. I was basing my theory off the proliferation of right wing nut jobs in the last 6-7 years in general. I do not think there are any more nut jobs in education than in the general population and I could buy that there are fewer.

When did we have a Christian government installed? Did I miss the theocratical government I was so looking forward too?
    Every religion does value service over self, just not the religion of self that is so hot with the young kids today. LOL.

I don't feel the need to name people that are in the academia and feel that religion morals and backbone would be a good thing for the future of our civilization. You love to act like my claim is so crazy and outside the norm. Truly astonishing really.
    Okay, don’t name these “experts”. It’s totally because you don’t want to, not because you made them up or they are Christian Nationalists, lol.

I never said we had a Christian government. I don’t have a clue where you got that.

TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) — Conservative Kansas legislators are pushing back more aggressively this year on LGBTQ-rights issues than in the past two years, with proposals to ban gender-affirming care for trangender youth and restrict how public schools discuss sexual orientation and gender identity.

Top Republican lawmakers on Tuesday outlined an agenda for the year that includes culture war issues pursued by Republicans in other states, including a ban on transgender athletes in girls' and women's K-12, club and college sports. Their broader agenda on LGBTQ-rights issues this year in Kansas also comes after Democratic Gov. Laura Kelly narrowly won reelection in November despite GOP attacks over her vetoes of two bills restricting transgender athletes.

On LGBTQ-rights issues, the Republican-controlled Kansas Legislature focused in 2021 and 2022 on trangender athletes. Lawmakers haven't considered a ban on gender-affirming care for transgender youth or bills to restrict which bathrooms transgender people can use. Proposals on what schools teach on history and sexuality have not gone as far as a Florida law derided by critics as a “Don't Say Gay” policy.

State Rep. Heather Meyer, a bisexual Kansas City-area Democrat with a transgender son, said this year, for GOP lawmakers, “It sounds like that the bigots are the priority, not our children.”

“They want to make it so that it’s like we never existed, so like the LGBTQ community is invisible,” she said.

Top Republican lawmakers pledged to keep pushing for a laws restricting transgender athletes. Eighteen states have such laws, including Iowa, Oklahoma and Texas, according to the nonprofit, pro-LGBTQ-rights Movement Advancement Project think tank...............

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom