All Things LGBTQ+ (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
    Reaction score
    Didn't really see a place for this so I thought I would start a thread about all things LGBTQ since this is a pretty hot topic in our culture right now

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/17/sup...y-that-refuses-to-work-with-lgbt-couples.html

• The Supreme Court on Thursday delivered a unanimous defeat to LGBT couples in a high-profile case over whether Philadelphia could refuse to contract with a Roman Catholic adoption agency that says its religious beliefs prevent it from working with same-sex foster parents.
    • Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in an opinion for a majority of the court that Philadelphia violated the First Amendment by refusing to contract with Catholic Social Services once it learned that the organization would not certify same-sex couples for adoption.

I will admit, I was hopeful for this decision by the SCOTUS but I was surprised by the unanimous decision.

While I don't think there is anything wrong, per se, with same sex couples adopting and raising children (I actually think it is a good thing as it not an abortion) but I also did not want to see the state force a religious institution to bend to a societal norm.

You have stated that 'some' men can have babies and yet you claim I am the uninformed and ignorant.
    It's a statement. You've demonstrably not read the key, relevant, linked information. Hence, you are by definition uninformed, and ignorant of that information.

And we've been over your inability to comprehend the statement "some trans men can have babies" already:

Secondly, no. If someone says, "men do not have babies with few exceptions such as some trans men," and you don't think trans men are men, that would make your interpretation of the statement to be "men do not have babies." It would not make your interpretation of the statement, "Men have babies and grow them in their prostate," as you said. That would be a plainly wrong interpretation that shows an inability to comprehend English and/or a desire to willfully abuse it in lieu of any actual argument.

I don't see the need to do it again.

So let me get your logic. I have to accept what is provided to me by the very people that are attempting this shell game? But, if I or anyone else have a different view, it those people that are the non-enlightened and ignorant?
    That's not the logic. The logic is you have to read and comprehend what is provided to you in order to offer a meaningful opinion on it.
    Speaking of cultish.
    Refusing to do so, evidently because it doesn't fit with your prejudices given that your statements about it are informed by literally nothing other than those prejudices, is quite cultish, yes.

Since you are fond of saying my sources are ignorant, lets find a starting point.
    So, let bring this to a base line. Do you think trans genderism in children is a mental disorder? Yes or No. This is a binary question.
    Again, I'm showing that they're ignorant, not simply saying so.

And no. I will not be engaging with you in a debate, beyond pointing out that there is nothing to debate in your posts; they are devoid of substance. There is no reason to engage in discussion with someone who is unable or unwilling to read and comprehend the relevant information to the topic.

So he is a weirdo to you?

You have not and again and for the last time, go look at the words I typed when I posted the article. The answer to the riddle in your head is right there, in the words I typed. Feel free to join the conversation.

I don't even think he's trans.

I think he was just mocking their policy.

You will most likely think this guy is a hero once the full story is told.

You have stated that 'some' men can have babies and yet you claim I am the uninformed and ignorant..

The issue is that the definition of "man" has been altered to include the new concept of "gender" and gender identity, so when someone says "some men can have babies", if you expand it to include gender identity, it reads "some people who identify as men can have babies". That is why I specify "male/female of the species" when having these conversations.

It's a statement. You've demonstrably not read the key, relevant, linked information. Hence, you are by definition uninformed, and ignorant of that information.
    It should be very obvious (or it is very obvious to me, anyway) that when @Farb says "man", he's referring to the male of the species, whereas you are referring to gender identity. And males of the species, regardless of gender identity, cannot give birth, period.

It should be very obvious (or it is very obvious to me, anyway) that when @Farb says "man", he's referring to the male of the species, whereas you are referring to gender identity. And males of the species, regardless of gender identity, cannot give birth, period.
    No-one is confused about what Farb means. The issue here is that Farb is making claims about what other people think, and it's very clear that those people are stating the fact that some trans men can have babies. No-one thinks that other men can "grow babies in their prostate."

No, the answer isn’t there. Do you think this person is representative of all trans people? If not, then why promote them? Why point to them? What is your purpose in doing so?

I answered your question ages ago - you even repeated my answer back to me. Why are you having trouble answering my questions to you?
    You didn't even look. You obviously didn't.

Do I think all trans people wear fetish gear to teach kids in school? I don't think so, but if they did, would you not agree that would be inappropriate? I know you would be fine with it because (insert whatever reason MSNBC tells you).

Why point to the man wearing fetish breast and skin tight sweaters to teach children? Because at any other point in time, in any culture on earth that would be inappropriate and crazy. Not here though, so why not point out the craziness?

Is that person mentally unstable or trolling on a championship level? It has to be one or the other.
    Do you have a better explanation on what makes him dress this way for class?

The issue is that the definition of "man" has been altered to include the new concept of "gender" and gender identity, so when someone says "some men can have babies", if you expand it to include gender identity, it reads "some people who identify as men can have babies". That is why I specify "male/female of the species" when having these conversations.
    I am just too lazy to type all of that. But yes, I agree.

But my stubborn self just rejects the 'new concept'. Someone has to make me understand why this ageless definition now has to be altered otherwise, I will use the definition that 99% of the world uses.

I don't even think he's trans.

I think he was just mocking their policy.

You will most likely think this guy is a hero once the full story is told.
    I hear something about that but I don't think that is the case. But, if you are correct, then yes, statues and parades are in order for this dude.

No-one is confused about what Farb means. The issue here is that Farb is making claims about what other people think, and it's very clear that those people are stating the fact that some trans men can have babies. No-one thinks that other men can "grow babies in their prostate."
    So, what is the definition of man you want to use, since this apparently is causing all the confusion.

Stay around this time. Last time you went dark during our conversations.

And we've been over your inability to comprehend the statement "some trans men can have babies" already:

I don't see the need to do it again.

That's not the logic. The logic is you have to read and comprehend what is provided to you in order to offer a meaningful opinion on it.

Refusing to do so, evidently because it doesn't fit with your prejudices given that your statements about it are informed by literally nothing other than those prejudices, is quite cultish, yes.

Again, I'm showing that they're ignorant, not simply saying so.

And no. I will not be engaging with you in a debate, beyond pointing out that there is nothing to debate in your posts; they are devoid of substance. There is no reason to engage in discussion with someone who is unable or unwilling to read and comprehend the relevant information to the topic.
    Dude, you could hand me 'History of Middle Earth' and if I read it and comprehended it, it would still be rubbish and fantasy just as much as you telling me that 'some men' can have babies.

If we be the same as me handing you the bible and then saying 'if you don't comply by this way of thinking then your opinion is ignorant and uninformed. You see the folly to that way of thinking...I hope, right?

I hear something about that but I don't think that is the case. But, if you are correct, then yes, statues and parades are in order for this dude.
    Yea, you guys will forget all about the ridiculous arguments you have made against him, and go from being wrong to "owning the libs". TBH, those to spots are the same place, so that checks out.

The proof you don’t care about what he is doing, only if he is hurting the people you want to hurt.

You didn't even look. You obviously didn't.

Do I think all trans people wear fetish gear to teach kids in school? I don't think so, but if they did, would you not agree that would be inappropriate? I know you would be fine with it because (insert whatever reason MSNBC tells you).

Why point to the man wearing fetish breast and skin tight sweaters to teach children? Because at any other point in time, in any culture on earth that would be inappropriate and crazy. Not here though, so why not point out the craziness?

Is that person mentally unstable or trolling on a championship level? It has to be one or the other.
    Do you have a better explanation on what makes him dress this way for class?
    You seriously need to quit telling me what I think, I already said I don’t think it’s appropriate for this person to wear these prosthetics. I said, exactly, that only the actual person thinks it’s appropriate. But I guess we have to amend that now, because you have admitted that if this person is doing it “ironically” then you think it’s great.

Dude, you could hand me 'History of Middle Earth' and if I read it and comprehended it, it would still be rubbish and fantasy just as much as you telling me that 'some men' can have babies.

If we be the same as me handing you the bible and then saying 'if you don't comply by this way of thinking then your opinion is ignorant and uninformed. You see the folly to that way of thinking...I hope, right?

So... Tolkien's Middle Earth and the Bible are comparable works of fiction? I agree.

The way some people talk...

So, what is the definition of man you want to use, since this apparently is causing all the confusion.

Stay around this time. Last time you went dark during our conversations.
    Everyone has already been over that repeatedly, the confusion is yours - no-one else is confusing trans men being able to have babies with other men being able to grow babies in prostates - and those 'conversations' finished. Everything you had to offer, such as it was, had been addressed, repeatedly. You just ignored it.

You're attempting to draw a false equivalence between a professional document consisting of just over a hundred pages written by interdisciplinary professionals, with many pages of references of published, peer reviewed, science, that directly addresses your questions about transgender healthcare... with a series of books of and about Tolkien's creative work in developing Middle-earth consisting of thousands of pages, and the Bible.

That's not how that works.

A more correct analogy would be if I repeatedly demonstrated I knew nothing whatsoever about the Bible, even claimed, bizarrely, that it didn't exist, and, on being handed a copy, refused to even look at it, but still demanded you take my opinions about its contents seriously.

Because, again, "That's not the logic. The logic is you have to read and comprehend what is provided to you in order to offer a meaningful opinion on it." You've just ignored that, and repeated your false premise of "having to comply." Because that's all you do.

Retired police officer and army veteran Jim Thomas drove to downtown Helena, Montana, the state’s capital, to provide what he considered a community service. On a Saturday in mid-July, he joined a vocal crowd outside a local LGBTQ-owned independent bookstore and began scanning his surroundings.

Standing 6ft 4in and about 200lbs, with a camouflage baseball hat and scraggly eyebrows, Thomas arrived with a mission: make sure Drag Story Hour, the family-friendly reading event where sparkling drag performers read children’s books to kids and families, went off without a hitch.

“I think it’s incumbent upon us to stand up and help where we can, if we can,” said Thomas, an avid reader and patron of Montana Book Company, the bookstore which hosted the event. “I don’t wear dresses and I’m not gay. But you know what? … I’m here supporting you guys.”…….

No one does political rags to riches stories quite like Brazil, but even in a nation where the most celebrated president in decades once shined shoes to survive, the story of Erika Hilton takes some beating.

The transgender teenager was kicked out of her house aged 14 and spent several years as a sex worker in rural Brazil before reconnecting with her mother and studying teaching and gerontology at university.

After involving herself in student politics she moved to São Paulo and joined the leftwing PSOL party. In 2020 became the first trans person elected to the city council, Brazil’s largest.

Now, she is running for Congress and seen as very likely to become the first trans member of the Brazilian parliament.

“I think she has lots of layers, being black, a woman, and trans,” said Evorah Cardoso, a researcher for the campaigning NGO VoteLGBT. “She is about more than just her physical attributes. She has policies to go with it and she puts them forward very well. She has a really good chance of being elected.”

There were at least 300 LGBT candidates running for election in Brazil this year, around 80 of whom were trans, Cardoso said. Hilton is one of the most visible, and her showing two years ago in the São Paulo city council elections prompted the PSOL to allocate resources to her campaign.

Individual vote winners under the complicated Brazilian electoral system help elect less popular members of the same party and Hilton is seen as a marquee presence. Much of that is down to her LGBT background and strong stance on issues such as education, social housing and domestic violence.

An increased awareness of the power LGBT candidates can wield has also helped. In 2017, researchers at the annual Pride parades in Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo asked participants if they thought LGBT people should vote for LGBT candidates and 42.8 % agreed totally or partly. In 2022, that number had shot up to 88%…….

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom