All Things LGBTQ+ (4 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
    Reaction score
    Didn't really see a place for this so I thought I would start a thread about all things LGBTQ since this is a pretty hot topic in our culture right now

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/17/sup...y-that-refuses-to-work-with-lgbt-couples.html

• The Supreme Court on Thursday delivered a unanimous defeat to LGBT couples in a high-profile case over whether Philadelphia could refuse to contract with a Roman Catholic adoption agency that says its religious beliefs prevent it from working with same-sex foster parents.
    • Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in an opinion for a majority of the court that Philadelphia violated the First Amendment by refusing to contract with Catholic Social Services once it learned that the organization would not certify same-sex couples for adoption.

I will admit, I was hopeful for this decision by the SCOTUS but I was surprised by the unanimous decision.

While I don't think there is anything wrong, per se, with same sex couples adopting and raising children (I actually think it is a good thing as it not an abortion) but I also did not want to see the state force a religious institution to bend to a societal norm.

This sure sounds it’s anti gay to me
    =======================

Why Florida teachers are bracing for ‘straight-up indoctrination’​

Alex Woodward

Schools in Leon County, Florida, must now notify parents if their child has a gym class with a “student who is open about their gender identity”. The schools must also notify parents if their child is attending an overnight field trip with a “student who is open about their gender identity”.

On the last day of the 2021-2022 school year, teachers in Palm Beach County were asked to comb through materials to look for books that discuss white supremacy or systemic racism or any book that “explicitly instructs” issues related to gender identity or sexual orientation.

In Orange County, a district that encompasses more than 200,000 students in an area that includes Orlando, teachers have accused school officials of prohibiting them from wearing rainbow clothing, and instructing them to remove photographs of their same-sex spouses as well as “safe space” stickers from their classrooms.

Florida’s Parental Rights in Education Act, which opponents have called the “Don’t Say Gay” law, goes into effect on 1 July, along with another measure that Governor Ron DeSantis said will block the “far-left woke agenda” from “[taking] over our schools and workplaces”.

They join parallel efforts from the state government and right-wing activist groups that could radically shape how students learn about history and social studies, replacing honest instruction on race, gender and civil rights with disputed materials and rhetoric that opponents have linked to the American right’s broader campaign to undermine public schools…….

Last edited:

LGBT+ Americans are turning to guns for safety amid rising hatred​

Io Dodds

Enge had been procrastinating about buying a gun. The soft-spoken 69-year-old grew up around firearms, and always wanted one to protect her household. But in her highly conservative region of inland California, most training courses were linked to the National Rifle Association (NRA), whose politics she hated.

Then, in early 2021, she realised that she was transgender, and suddenly the situation was different. Not only did she feel unsafe presenting as a woman in her community, but she could see conservative rhetoric about trans people growing increasingly hostile across the US.

“Transgender women like myself are currently considered by the right wing to be dangerous, so I have a heightened sense of insecurity, and feel I should be better able to deal with a situation if it came up,” she tells The Independent as she slots bullets into a semi-automatic pistol magazine at a shooting range in Sacramento.

“A chill went down my spine when I heard that QAnon was asserting [falsely] that the Texas shooter was a transgender paedophilic groomer… I really don’t know where the threat to me will come from.”

It was only a few months after her revelation that Enge, who asked for her last name not to be used because she does not yet feel safe coming out publicly, discovered Pink Pistols, an LGBT+ gun group formed in the year 2000. Once alongside other queer people, she felt confident training regularly and eventually bought her own handgun. “The acceptance has been wonderful,” she says……..

Medical experts are challenging claims from Florida health officials that standards of care for transgender medicine do not meet generally accepted medical standards for Medicaid coverage.

In a report published this month by a team of seven scientists and a law professor from Yale Law School, the Yale School of Medicine, the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (UTSMC) and the University of Alabama at Birmingham, experts argue that the state of Florida’s position is “thoroughly flawed and lacking scientific weight.”

In June, Florida’s Agency for Health Care Administration (AHCA), which controls most of its Medicaid program, published a notice for a proposed rule to eliminate coverage for gender-affirming health care.

Under the rule, Florida’s Medicaid program would exclude coverage for puberty blockers, hormones, gender-affirming surgeries or “any other procedures that alter primary or secondary sexual characteristics” when those interventions are used to treat gender dysphoria.

Earlier that month, the AHCA released a report asserting that some treatments for gender dysphoria “are not consistent with generally accepted professional medical standards,” and are “experimental and investigational with the potential for harmful long term [e]ffects.”

The agency in its report pointed to several scientific studies supporting hormone therapy, puberty blockers and gender-affirming surgery, finding them to be “weak to very weak.”

Scientists at Yale, UTSMC and the University of Alabama said the agency’s characterization of medical treatments for gender dysphoria as “experimental” is “demonstrably false,” referencing longstanding clinical practice guidelines from the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) and The Endocrine Society.

Evidence used to support the agency’s position is also unpublished and non-peer reviewed, researchers said – a violation of the state’s standards for determining medical necessity..............

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/female

Definition of female

(Entry 1 of 2)
    1a(1): of, relating to, or being the sex that typically has the capacity to bear young or produce eggsIn a field of milkweed, I watched a female monarch butterfly deposit a single egg on the underside of a leaf.— Tom TyningA few months later, she became the highest paid female performer on the Great White Way.— Susannah McCorkle
    (2)botany : having or producing only pistils or pistillate flowersa female hollyfemale inflorescences

b: having a gender identity that is the opposite of male.

So, Webster changed the definition of 'female', I wonder why? Now the new definition proves that there are only 2 sexes/gender. Male and female. Female is now just the opposite of male. Is that not binary? Don't worry, this is a natural change to our language. Much like how Latinx was organic and now is just common speak.

https://www.thecollegefix.com/gende...-identifying-human-remains-as-male-or-female/

As soon as ancient human remains are excavated, archaeologists begin the work of determining a number of traits about the individual, including age, race and gender.

But a new school of thought within archaeology is pushing scientists to think twice about assigning gender to ancient human remains.

It is possible to determine whether a skeleton is from a biological male or female using objective observations based on the size and shape of the bones. Criminal forensic detectives, for example, do it frequently in their line of work.

But gender activists argue scientists cannot know how an ancient individual identified themselves.

This is getting so stupid, look at our neighbors to the north

So, Webster changed the definition of 'female', I wonder why? Now the new definition proves that there are only 2 sexes/gender. Male and female. Female is now just the opposite of male. Is that not binary?
    Nope.

Female is the opposite of male. Male is the opposite of female.

The fact that they are opposites does not in any way preclude any other gender identities from existing.

It's like saying because night and day are opposites, dawn and dusk no longer exist.

And even if it were the case, the Webster's definition of a word does not encapsulate all meaning of every word, to the exclusion of all other possible interpretations.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/female

Definition of female

(Entry 1 of 2)
    1a(1): of, relating to, or being the sex that typically has the capacity to bear young or produce eggsIn a field of milkweed, I watched a female monarch butterfly deposit a single egg on the underside of a leaf.— Tom TyningA few months later, she became the highest paid female performer on the Great White Way.— Susannah McCorkle
    (2)botany : having or producing only pistils or pistillate flowersa female hollyfemale inflorescences

b: having a gender identity that is the opposite of male.

So, Webster changed the definition of 'female', I wonder why? Now the new definition proves that there are only 2 sexes/gender. Male and female. Female is now just the opposite of male. Is that not binary? Don't worry, this is a natural change to our language. Much like how Latinx was organic and now is just common speak.

Dark and light are opposites. Does that preclude varying degrees of illumination existing in between or outside of the two positions?

Sweltering and freezing are opposites. Does that preclude varying degrees of temperature existing in between or outside of the two positions?

Massive and tiny are opposites. Does that preclude varying degrees of size existing in between or outside of the two positions?

errmmmaaaggggaaawwwwrrrdddd

They changed a whole definition?!!?

I was wrong the whole time!
    There is a conspiracy!
    They are pushing the gay agenda!

Dark and light are opposites. Does that preclude varying degrees of illumination existing in between or outside of the two positions?

Sweltering and freezing are opposites. Does that preclude varying degrees of temperature existing in between or outside of the two positions?

Massive and tiny are opposites. Does that preclude varying degrees of size existing in between or outside of the two positions?
    Did you look those up? Do you think the definitions of the words you posted are defined by the 'oppisite of ........'?

They are not:

Definition of sweltering

: oppressively hot

Definition of freezing

(Entry 1 of 2)
    1: very cold"Put on your jacket. It's freezing outside!"Addy rushed home through the darkening streets as if she were pushed along by the wind. She was freezing!— Connie Porter
    2: being at or below the temperature at which water freezes

Definition of massive

1: forming or consisting of a large mass:

Definition of tiny

: very small or diminutive : MINUTE

Would be strange if these were the definition:

Tiny- opposite of massive
    massive- the opposite of tiny

Circular logic doesn't work very well

Did you look those up? Do you think the definitions of the words you posted are defined by the 'oppisite of ........'?

They are not:

Definition of sweltering

Definition of freezing

(Entry 1 of 2)
    1: very cold"Put on your jacket. It's freezing outside!"Addy rushed home through the darkening streets as if she were pushed along by the wind. She was freezing!— Connie Porter

Definition of massive

Definition of tiny

Let me help.

Hot and cold.

Big and small.

Now answer the question.

They are not:

Definition of sweltering

Definition of freezing

(Entry 1 of 2)

Definition of massive

Definition of tiny

Something around here isn't working well, that's for damn sure.

Is it your position that two things are opposites only if the definition says they are opposites? I checked your source (Merriam-Webster) and the definitions for 'all' and 'none' did not state that they are opposites. Do you think that 'all' and 'none' are opposites of one another?

https://www.thecollegefix.com/gende...-identifying-human-remains-as-male-or-female/

As soon as ancient human remains are excavated, archaeologists begin the work of determining a number of traits about the individual, including age, race and gender.

But a new school of thought within archaeology is pushing scientists to think twice about assigning gender to ancient human remains.

It is possible to determine whether a skeleton is from a biological male or female using objective observations based on the size and shape of the bones. Criminal forensic detectives, for example, do it frequently in their line of work.

But gender activists argue scientists cannot know how an ancient individual identified themselves.

That is forking stupid.

Archaeologists don't "assign genders". They determine whether the remains found belonged to a male of the species or a female of the species.

Nope.

Female is the opposite of male. Male is the opposite of female.

The fact that they are opposites does not in any way preclude any other gender identities from existing.

It's like saying because night and day are opposites, dawn and dusk no longer exist.

And even if it were the case, the Webster's definition of a word does not encapsulate all meaning of every word, to the exclusion of all other possible interpretations.

I think the issue @Farb has is the forced mixing of a physical condition vs a mental condition.

Something around here isn't working well, that's for damn sure.

Is it your position that two things are opposites only if the definition says they are opposites? I checked your source (Merriam-Webster) and the definitions for 'all' and 'none' did not state that they are opposites. Do you think that 'all' and 'none' are opposites of one another?
    What is the definition of male? If you say 'the opposite of female' that is not really a definition because the definition of female is 'the opposite of male'. Circular logic. Exactly like the definition of 'woman' is 'anyone who identifies as a woman'. Circular logic shows a fault in the original logic.

Hot is the opposite of cold
    cold is the opposite of hot

Which one will burn and which one will freeze?

Makes no sense to me which makes me ask why the change? Did they change the definition to satisfy the LGTBQ group? Is this an organic change of language like we were told or more along the lines of the 'latinx' cram down of group speak?

What is the definition of male? If you say 'the opposite of female' that is not really a definition because the definition of female is 'the opposite of male'. Circular logic. Exactly like the definition of 'woman' is 'anyone who identifies as a woman'. Circular logic shows a fault in the original logic.

Hot is the opposite of cold
    cold is the opposite of hot

Which one will burn and which one will freeze?

Makes no sense to me which makes me ask why the change? Did they change the definition to satisfy the LGTBQ group? Is this an organic change of language like we were told or more along the lines of the 'latinx' cram down of group speak?

Your own posted definition doesn't even say this, Farb. That's why your logic is flawed and your argument is a forking joke. This is from your own post:

"b: having a gender identity that is the opposite of male."

Where does it say that the definition of female is "the opposite of male"? It doesn't. The entire point is self-identity on a spectrum.

To use your hot and cold example. Hot is the opposite of cold. Cold is the opposite of hot. Do these opposites mean warm ceases to exist?

Is this an organic change of language like we were told or more along the lines of the 'latinx' cram down of group speak?

I'm guessing that you don't know that all the terms we use here in the US (Hispanic, Latino/Latina, and Latinx) where all created here in the US to describe and coalesce a group of immigrants from Caribbean, Central America and South America that speak Spanish. Hispanic came around in the '70's, Latino/Latina in the '90's and now Latinx in the 2010's. The only difference with Latinx is that it came more specifically from LGBTQ Spanish speakers and is used now widely by academia/government. I'm not sure what you mean by organic, but they all came about more or less the same way.

It's not widely used in conversation because it's a clunky term. It's also obviously derided by a good number of Spanish speakers, mostly because it's new and Spanish speaking communities are still highly misogynistic so many are dismissive of it. I've never gotten the impression that people that prefer to use Latinx really care if other people use, that's just what they're going to use. But I know that people that won't use it hate it, they never miss an opportunity to tell everybody how horrible a word it is and how much they hate it.

I'm guessing that you don't know that all the terms we use here in the US (Hispanic, Latino/Latina, and Latinx) where all created here in the US to describe and coalesce a group of immigrants from Caribbean, Central America and South America that speak Spanish. Hispanic came around in the '70's, Latino/Latina in the '90's and now Latinx in the 2010's. The only difference with Latinx is that it came more specifically from LGBTQ Spanish speakers and is used now widely by academia/government. I'm not sure what you mean by organic, but they all came about more or less the same way.
    Those terms were not created in the U.S., nor more or less the same way

Hispanic comes from Hispanus, the people of Hispania (today's Iberian Peninsula), as named by the Romans.

"Latin America" came from France, during (or just before) the French occupation of MX; coincidentally, because what's now known as "Latin American" was known as Hispanic America in those days, which excluded France, so Napoleon called Hispanic America "Latin America", in reference to the root of Spanish, French, and Portuguese.

As a side note, your list of where immigrants come from, you forgot to mention MX, which happens to be North America... common mistake, thinking MX is in C.A., by people who don't know well the history of the U.S. and MX.

[Latinx] is not widely used in conversation because it's a clunky term. It's also obviously derided by a good number of Spanish speakers, mostly because it's new and Spanish speaking communities are still highly misogynistic so many are dismissive of it.
    No. It is because Anglos are not going to tell us how to speak our forking language.
    I've never gotten the impression that people that prefer to use Latinx really care if other people use, that's just what they're going to use. But I know that people that won't use it hate it, they never miss an opportunity to tell everybody how horrible a word it is and how much they hate it.
    Damn straight.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom