2024 GOP Presidential Race (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveSBrickNJ

Reaction score
    Many of Trump's endorsed candidates did not do well on Nov. 8th.
    Gov. Ron DeSantis DID do well.
    He won convincingly.
    Yet in this OP's opinion, Donald Trump is an egomaniac who is seemingly incapable of putting "Party over Self"
    Trump has ZERO chance of being elected our next president.
    In my opinion, if Trump would just shut up and go away (fat chance of that)...but "if" Trump did that, Gov. Ron DeSantis would have a CHANCE to be a formidable candidate for President in 2024.
    Here is an interesting article on this topic...
    What do any of you think re. Trump vs DeSantis?

………..At a time when CNN has been struggling to turn around viewership decline, the telecast proved to be a ratings disappointment, with Nielsen reporting just 3.1 million viewers overall.

That was a big boost over CNN’s typical 8 p.m. telecast, but a smaller audience than CNN’s town hall with President Biden last summer (3.7 million) and six previous Trump town halls carried by Fox News — calling into question both CNN and Trump’s drawing power.

The more profound impact, however, may be the damage done to the reputation of the network that has long promoted itself as “the most trusted name in news.”

It also raised questions about the future prospects of chief executive Chris Licht, who replaced Trump-friend-turned critic Jeff Zucker last year and is charged with striking a more neutral tone at a cable channel that exploded with impassioned commentary during the Trump years.

Journalists at CNN and others outside the organization called the town hall a “debacle,” a “disaster” and “CNN’s lowest moment.” On Twitter, the hashtags and phrases BoycottCNN, DoneWithCNN and ByeCNN trended late Wednesday.

The thrust of the criticism is that CNN’s format, which it has used for other candidates over the years, enabled Trump’s filibustering and thwarted real-time fact checking, allowing him to present a dishonest rehashing of his record.

“In terms of sheer control of the stage and WWE-style platform dynamics, the horrible truth is that this outcome was preordained,” tweeted veteran political writer James Fallows. Some compared the program to a modified Trump campaign rally — the kind that CNN sometimes aired live during the 2015-16 campaign cycle, which Zucker later said he regretted.

Licht defended the decision to host Trump in this format during his regular morning meeting with network staff on Thursday.
“I am aware that there have been people with opinions [and] backlash, and that is absolutely expected,” he said, according to an audio recording.

“And I’ll say this as clearly as I possibly can: You do not have to like the former president’s answers, but you can’t say we didn’t get them. … America was served very well by what we did last night. People woke up and they know what the stakes are in this election in a way they didn’t the day before.”.

Licht also hailed Collins’s “masterful performance” as moderator and called her “a rock star.”
Licht, however, was hammered by his own journalists. “We did it wrong,” said an on-air personality.

“We treated him like a normal politician who could be fact-checked. We ended up dancing around a demagogue.”

“It should have been a taped interview where you could fact-check him,” said one CNN correspondent who, like the on-air personality spoke on the condition of anonymity to preserve relationships and careers. “The audience was laughing at his comments about Jean Carroll. Disgraceful.”……

CNN is saying they didn’t have time to fact check because of the live format

Did Trump tell any new lies? Or was it the same lies he’s been telling for years?

Are they seriously trying to say they had no idea what Trump was going to say to those questions, and were caught off guard?

They should have had a boatload of fact checks and rebuttals locked and loaded

I see Anderson Cooper has got his marching orders and is trying to justify the CNN debacle. Pretty disappointing. You don’t give a sexual abuser a platform to defame his victim yet again.

I didn’t watch it, but your opinion is the first one I’ve seen that she did anything close to a good job. In fact, quite the opposite.

I’m seeing reporting that Trump repeated many lies about abortion, even the stupidest lie of all that Democrats want abortion to be legal even up to and “after birth” and Collins didn’t push back at any of his abortion lies.

This is just one example. She didn’t have anything close to control of the situation from what I’ve read. It would be extremely difficult to rebut Trump. CNN needed to give this job to someone with a lot more experience than Collins.

She did work for The Daily Caller. And you can say her statements aren’t that awful, whatever, that’s your opinion. To my mind, this may provide a clue about her personal politics, or it may not. But it’s enough to plant a doubt in my mind. Anyone who would work for Tucker’s propaganda rag is suspect.
    The network put her into an impossible situation, but she did a good job. I agree that I’m an outlier. Most are saying she did a poor job. I came away with a completely different impression. She pressed him and got Trump to alienate more independents. She corrected a lot of his lies, and anyone who cares will be able to confirm that Collins was accurate. Collins had a lot of facts and she represented herself well. The network should’ve set it up differently, but that’s not on Collins. I think the audience should’ve been more representative of the public, not only Trump leans. CNN should’ve had real time fact checks scrolling. They probably could’ve done it as an interview. They could’ve done it without an audience and only callers. They could’ve controlled the mic. There were lots of things, but for the format, I was impressed with Collins, and I don’t think it helped Trump, nor do I think it hurt CNN, even though they could’ve handled it better. I do hope that Trump doesn’t get such a platform again, simply because he doesn’t deserve it, since he is too disrespectful.

CNN is saying they didn’t have time to fact check because of the live format

Did Trump tell any new lies? Or was it the same lies he’s been telling for years?

Are they seriously trying to say they had no idea what Trump was going to say to those questions, and were caught off guard?

They should have had a boatload of fact checks and rebuttals locked and loaded
    It was mostly the same lies, but he was fact checked by Collins. The new lies about the documents will probably get used against him at trial.

Donald Trump and his circle believe he got everything that he wanted from the controversial town hall hosted by CNN, even as it prompted a wave of outrage and embarrassed the network, including many of its own staff who were upset that it gave Trump a platform to lie to a large audience.

The former president was interested in doing a town hall mainly because it would give the campaign material to clip for social media. He was interested in doing it on CNN because the campaign reached an understanding – which a spokesperson denied – that it would book more Trump surrogates.

Trump was not particularly concerned by whether the broadcast would get high ratings, though he told CNN’s chief executive, Chris Licht, backstage that he would boost their ratings, to which Licht nodded and said he should have “a good conversation and have fun”, two of the people said.

Trump’s advisers saw the town hall ultimately as a strategic win for the former president, who revelled in playing off the live audience of Republican and Republican-leaning voters in New Hampshire, which is hosting the first 2024 GOP presidential primary, and talked over the CNN moderator, Kaitlin Collins, as she tried to factcheck him in real time.

Afterwards, Trump allies joked that the event in their eyes amounted to an hour of Trump infomercials and should be recorded as an in-kind campaign contribution, and that Trump’s nearest rival for the nomination, Florida governor Ron DeSantis, would be crushed in a similar debate…….

Trump was not particularly concerned by whether the broadcast would get high ratings, though he told CNN’s chief executive, Chris Licht, backstage that he would boost their ratings, to which Licht nodded and said he should have “a good conversation and have fun”, two of the people said.
    As I said, Licht is going to run that organization into the ground by the time he's done.

We do NOT want DeSantis’ ideas to go national, he’s a disgrace:

We do NOT want DeSantis’ ideas to go national, he’s a disgrace:

If the teacher is sanctioned for showing Disney material in the classroom, he should sue the state. I think there should be some lawyers that would take the case pro-bono.

WTF is wrong with Strange World? Because he has a bi-racial kid? GTFOH. This is why I refuse to go to Florida. fork them butt crevasses.
    I don’t know what the parent found objectionable and that’s the function of this law. It’s the desired effect. In a subsequent tweet this lady says her friend had sent permission slips home for showing Disney films and had given parents a blank to write in any films that they objected to. Nobody objected and every parent signed.

Any parent can trigger this type of investigation, it seems, and just imagine how teachers will start to censor themselves. Nobody wants to be caught up in this type of investigation.

This is how authoritarianism often works - they intimidate folks into giving up their free will to avoid the crap they pass. It’s frightening and we cannot let DeSantis (or any other MAGA) anywhere near the WH to do this stuff nationwide.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom