2024 GOP Presidential Race (4 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveSBrickNJ

Reaction score
    Many of Trump's endorsed candidates did not do well on Nov. 8th.
    Gov. Ron DeSantis DID do well.
    He won convincingly.
    Yet in this OP's opinion, Donald Trump is an egomaniac who is seemingly incapable of putting "Party over Self"
    Trump has ZERO chance of being elected our next president.
    In my opinion, if Trump would just shut up and go away (fat chance of that)...but "if" Trump did that, Gov. Ron DeSantis would have a CHANCE to be a formidable candidate for President in 2024.
    Here is an interesting article on this topic...
    What do any of you think re. Trump vs DeSantis?

The media obsession with finding fault with President Biden or fanning “but he’s too old” chatter (worse: “But he wears sneakers”) not only renders a disservice to voters facing an existential threat to democracy but also misses the real “they should be panicked” storyline: Republicans’ growing realization that the MAGA cult cannot be weaned from a candidate who might well be convicted in one or more criminal cases by Election Day 2024.

CBS News’s Robert Costa tweeted before the debate Wednesday: “Lots of angst tonight among my top GOP sources about this debate. Donors concerned. Flurry of texts. Questions about where this race goes from here.

They wonder: Can anybody have a breakout moment? Meanwhile, Trump all but ignores the scene and shrugs off his indictments.”

Well, no one had a breakout moment.

Nervous Republicans are reduced to pleading with Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin to enter the race, but there’s no sign yet he would or, if he did, that he forcefully would attack former president Donald Trump or that others would drop out.

In a Post Opinions essay on Thursday, Costa reported on a planned gathering of insiders next month. “It is the latest slapdash scheme in a long search for a standard-bearer and a portrait of the powerlessness so many Republicans feel as Trump plows ahead, shrugging off criminal indictments and outrage over rhetoric they fear is growing dark and dangerous.”

If this sounds familiar, that’s because it is. In 2015, establishment Republicans never came up with an effective means of shoving Trump out of the way or finding a viable alternative. One Post headline: “Plan A for GOP donors: Wait for Trump to fall. (There is no Plan B.).”

Those pesky voters, inflamed by right-wing media and encouraged by desperate Republicans masquerading as populists, don’t seem to be interested in the views of establishment Republicans……..

For what it’s worth
    ==============
    FTX founder and suspected fraudster Sam Bankman-Fried considered the possibility of paying Donald Trump up to $5bn to stay out of the 2024 presidential race, a new book claims.

In an essay published in the Washington Post — developed from Michael Lewis’ new book Going Infinite: The Rise and Fall of a New Tycoon — Mr Lewis wrote that Mr Bankman-Fried “was exploring the legality of paying Donald Trump himself not to run for president”.

“His team had somehow created a back channel into the Trump operation and returned with the not terribly Earth-shattering news that Donald Trump might indeed have his price: $5 billion. Or so Sam was told by his team,” he wrote.

Mr Lewis expanded on this claim in an interview on 60 Minutes, saying Mr Bankman-Fried wondered “how much would it take” for the former president to seek re-election in 2024. “There was a number that was kicking around” at the time that Mr Lewis was talking to the FTX founder, he said - $5bn.

“Sam was not sure that number came directly from Trump,” Mr Lewis clarified. “The question Sam had was — not just ‘is $5bn enough to pay Trump not to run’ — but was it legal?”

He said these “conversations” were still ongoing when “FTX blew up”, but the transaction didn’t happen because “he didn’t have $5bn anymore”, Mr Lewis explained.……

Is he only one that sees the best bet to beat Biden is for HIM to drop out?

I think he sees Haley gaining steam, and he knows if he continues to stay out, it’s going to hurt him.

But I think he’s worried that he will he attacked for J6 and his criminal charges and won’t be able to answer without potentially making admissions.

He’s in a box - so he’s gonna try to end the debates. Hopefully that goes nowhere

The centrist group No Labels accused the Democratic National Committee of waging “war” against it, fearing the impact of a potential third candidate in a putative 2024 election rematch between the president and Donald Trump.

In an open letter entitled Defending the ‘Soul of the Nation’ and Ending the War on No Labels, the former Connecticut senator and vice-presidential nominee, Joe Lieberman, the former Missouri governor Jay Nixon and the civil rights leader Benjamin Chavis accused the DNC of “a heavy-handed effort to limit Americans’ choices in the 2024 election”.

They wrote: “President Biden just told ProPublica … he may disagree with our political analysis, but he recognises our ‘democratic right’ to do our work.”

But, they said, citing CBS News, the DNC was encouraging [state and local party chairs] to denounce No Labels as a “threat to our democracy”.

“The DNC takes issue with our effort to get on state voting ballots so we can potentially offer up a unity presidential ticket and to provide the additional choices millions of Americans so clearly want.”

Nixon, Lieberman and Chavis also cited a “communique” sent last month by “the state Democratic party executive director in Utah … to Democratic county chairs, urging them to “stop” No Labels “NOW”.

“We’re not naive,” the signers said, “and we don’t expect the Democratic National Committee or the Republican National Committee to welcome competition that threatens their power and influence.

“But as lifelong Democrats, we do expect the leaders of our party – which has always championed ballot access and voting rights – to refrain from blatantly anti-democratic behaviour.”

The West Virginia Democratic senator Joe Manchin and the former Republican Maryland governor Larry Hogan have been touted as possible No Labels candidates.

Critics say if No Labels does mount a campaign, polling shows more voters likely to peel from Joe Biden than Trump, handing the latter the White House for a second term should he be the Republican nominee.

Biden said as much to ProPublica, saying Lieberman, who was Al Gore’s running mate in the presidential election of 2000, “is going to help the other guy, and he knows” it.

“That’s a political decision he’s making that I obviously think is a mistake,” Biden said. “But he has a right to do that.”…….

I have plenty of Democratic Women colleagues working in the 2 elementary schools I teach in.
    I think I will ask SOME of them if they had a choice between Biden and Haley....who would they vote for?
    I'll eventually report my informal findings. It will not be soon. I'm busy and so are they.
    @MT15
    I was sincere when I said I would do this., but now I regret my post. In my brief exchanges with colleagues it never feels comfortable to bring up the subject of Biden vs Haley .
    They'd think that was out of character from me and they might feel uncomfortable.
    We always talk about the students, our families or lighter topics.
    So I apologize, but I've decided I am not going to mix politics and teaching after all.

Last edited:
    @MT15
    I was sincere when I said I would do this., but now I regret my post. In my brief exchanges with colleagues it never feels comfortable to bring up the subject of Biden vs Haley .
    They'd think that was out of character from me and they might feel uncomfortable.
    So I apologize, but I've decided I am not going to mix politics and teaching after all.
    I wouldn't either. I avoid politics like the plague in the workplace. I might have that conversation at my home or their home, but not at work.

@MT15
    Totally fine, no need to apologize at all.

I wouldn't either. I avoid politics like the plague in the workplace. I might have that conversation at my home or their home, but not at work.

I don't discuss politics at work either. I work with some conservative guys and we get along fine. I know they're conservative and they know I'm liberal, lol. But I don't ask how they vote and they don't ask me. The only thing my boss brings up at work from time to time is us voting in general, but specifically when there are elections on state amendments or city bond projects that would be beneficial for our engineering firm.

Robert F Kennedy Jr, the attorney, conspiracy theorist and political gadfly set to next week transform his run for the Democratic presidential nomination into an independent campaign, was announced on Friday as a speaker at an event staged by the hard-right Conservative Political Action Conference, or CPAC.

“Robert F Kennedy Jr has a unique voice in advocating for the defunding of the weaponised bureaucracy and ensuring the constitutional right of medical freedom,” said the CPAC chair, Matt Schlapp.

Kennedy, 69, will speak at the CPAC Investor Summit to Save America, in Las Vegas, Nevada, between 18 and 21 October. Vivek Ramaswamy, the biotech investor who has performed unexpectedly strongly in the Republican primary, will also speak.

Kennedy comes from a storied US political family – the son of former US attorney general Robert F Kennedy and nephew of President John F Kennedy. He built a public profile as an attorney and environmental campaigner but has now emerged as a prominent anti-vaccine campaigner, particularly during the Covid-19 pandemic.……

For months, Republicans have been reveling in Robert F Kennedy Jr’s presidential bid.

Running in the Democratic primary against Joe Biden, the hope has been that Kennedy could weaken the president ahead of a presumed Biden-Trump match-up in 2024.

But with Kennedy expected to announce that he will ditch the Democratic party and run as an independent, some commentators are suggesting that conservatives’ schadenfreude could come back to haunt them.

That’s because of the curious case of Kennedy’s political appeal.

It turns out that the son of Robert F Kennedy and nephew of John F Kennedy, Democratic giants who maintain widespread admiration in the party, is actually more popular among Republicans – including some of the most influential rightwing voices in the US.

Kennedy, Steve Bannon said on his War Room podcast in April, would be “an excellent choice” for Trump’s running mate.

Charlie Kirk, founder of the rightwing Turning Point USA, has praised Kennedy. So has Michael Flynn, Trump’s former national security advisor and QAnon enthusiast.

The noted rightwing crank Alex Jones added his endorsement on his InfoWars show.

“I don’t agree with Robert F Kennedy Jr on some topics, but he’s a man of integrity that fights fluoride and poison shots and fentanyl and everything else. He’s a good man,” said Jones, who last year was ordered to pay nearly $1bn to relatives of the Sandy Hook elementary school shooting victims, after he falsely claimed the shooting was a hoax.

The support for Kennedy from fluoridated-water-lowers-IQ-and-or-causes-cancer Republicans makes sense. Kennedy, 69, is a man who never met a conspiracy theory he didn’t like.

In the last few months alone, the former environmental lawyer has said that wifi causes “leaky brain”, and linked antidepressants to school shootings. In June Kennedy said chemicals in water are making kids transgender and and declared that US support for Ukraine to be “a setup by the neocons and the CIA”. He also has longstanding, and wrong, beliefs about apparently any and all vaccines.

Kennedy first announced he was considering a run for the Democratic nomination in March, in a speech that, true to form, was banned from YouTube for violating the platform’s “medical misinformation” policies.

In April, he announced his candidacy for real, in a video that has not yet been removed from YouTube, and soon some polls showed that up to 20% of Democratic primary voters would pledge for Kennedy.

If, as expected, Kennedy is to run as an independent, those numbers would suggest he could strip votes from Biden.

Not so, said Steffen Schmidt, professor emeritus in the department of political science at Iowa State University.

“Kennedy is an IED – we don’t know [when] he’s going to blow and on whom,” Schmidt said.

Schmidt said there may have been early “sentimental” appeal for Kennedy among Democrats, given his family’s history. Biden’s age – a recent poll showed a majority of Democrats believe the president is too old to be effective for four more years – might have also been a factor in liberals considering a different candidate.

“And then they began to hear the menu of things, his conspiracy theories and all that, and they began to see him on Fox News and all kinds of other conservative media, and the honeymoon was over,” Schmidt said.

That slew of appearances on conservative media, and at rightwing events – Kennedy has previously appeared at a show hosted by ReAwaken America, described by PBS as “a petri dish for Christian nationalism” – have made him popular among Republican voters, many of whom are still in thrall to Donald Trump, another noted conspiracy theorist.……

Trump better watch out if more of this begins to happen...

Yeah, there are a lot out there who don't care much for Nikki, but those are mostly Trumpers. I think she can pull a lit of anti-Trumpers and some independents. I don't know if it would be enough, but if Trump is convicted before the primaries are decided, maybe she gets a head of steam if the others dropping out get behind her.

Yeah, there are a lot out there who don't care much for Nikki, but those are mostly Trumpers. I think she can pull a lit of anti-Trumpers and some independents. I don't know if it would be enough, but if Trump is convicted before the primaries are decided, maybe she gets a head of steam if the others dropping out get behind her.
    Trump could die tomorrow and still get the GOP nomination.

"He'll come back! Just like Jeeeayzusah!"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom