2024 GOP Presidential Race (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveSBrickNJ

Reaction score
    Many of Trump's endorsed candidates did not do well on Nov. 8th.
    Gov. Ron DeSantis DID do well.
    He won convincingly.
    Yet in this OP's opinion, Donald Trump is an egomaniac who is seemingly incapable of putting "Party over Self"
    Trump has ZERO chance of being elected our next president.
    In my opinion, if Trump would just shut up and go away (fat chance of that)...but "if" Trump did that, Gov. Ron DeSantis would have a CHANCE to be a formidable candidate for President in 2024.
    Here is an interesting article on this topic...
    What do any of you think re. Trump vs DeSantis?

You have a lot of hostility toward me, cuddlemonkey. Can I very respectfully ask why? I am prepared to apologize for any legitimate grievance.

I have no hostility toward you. I was pointing out that your argument was a joke because you had to ignore the things that were clearly contradictory to your claim.

I have no hostility toward you. I was pointing out that your argument was a joke because you had to ignore the things that were clearly contradictory to your claim.
    I suppose that I did "ignore" the other posts that you feel I should have also attended to in addressing Optimus' and Lapaz' posts. I thought that those posts deserved their own response. I didn't see the need to analyze the rest of the thread (or entire board) for posts that I might be harshly criticized for not including in my response.

If it is OK with you, then, I'll continue to post as I choose. You are welcome to keep responding in hostile tones, if you choose not to work through the hostility.

I suppose that I did ignore the other posts that you feel I should have also attended to in addressing Optimus' and Lapaz' posts. I thought that those posts deserved their own response. I didn't see the need to analyze the rest of the thread (or entire board) for posts that I might be harshly criticized for not including in my response.

If it is OK with you, then, I'll continue to post as I choose. You are welcome to keep responding in hostile tones, if you choose not to work through the hostility.
    Don’t pretend that your one post wasn’t a snarky attack on the people who use this board. You are not a victim here.

Don’t pretend that your one post wasn’t a snarky attack on the people who use this board. You are not a victim here.
    Then I will tell you also, that I will continue to post as I choose.

I will be sure to include a "Report" link on the lower left hand side of all of my posts, so you needn't bother publicly chastising me anymore.

Thank you.

I suppose that I did "ignore" the other posts that you feel I should have also attended to in addressing Optimus' and Lapaz' posts. I thought that those posts deserved their own response. I didn't see the need to analyze the rest of the thread (or entire board) for posts that I might be harshly criticized for not including in my response.

Nobody here is hostile and that should be quite clear. Please stop lying about everyone.

lol. I almost forgot about how we owned the airfields during the Revoluionary war..

Trump praised the Americans’ military efforts in the war against Great Britain. “Our army manned the air, it rammed the ramparts, it took over the airports, it did everything it had to do, and at Fort McHenry, under the rockets’ red glare, it had nothing but victory,” he said.

lol

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis was supposed to save the Republican Party from twice-indicted former president Donald Trump. He was going to be Trumpy enough without being nutty, a successful culture warrior and a pugilist who could convince the permanently angry MAGA base that he would fight for it. Instead, as some of us who have witnessed him in action predicted, DeSantis turned out to be an inept, unlikable and mockable candidate devoid of basic interpersonal skills.

The longer DeSantis stays in the race, the worse his poll numbers get. And rather than stanch his serial gaffes, he adds to them. His recent homophobic ad drew condemnation, even within the GOP.

If Republicans were betting on him (or on special counsel Jack Smith) to rid them of Trump — an unfit, unhinged candidate who could well drag the entire party under in 2024 — they should come up with a Plan B. Alas, it will be almost impossible to knock Trump out if one is too afraid to attack him as unfit and/or unelectable.

Contenders such as former South Carolina governor Nikki Haley and Sen. Tim Scott (S.C.) seem incapable of taking him on. Former New Jersey governor Chris Christie has mostly delighted Democrats with his savage jabs at Trump, but Christie remains very unpopular with the Republican base. And former vice president Mike Pence seems caught in no man’s land — willing to defend his own role in the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection and to stand with Ukraine but not willing or able to mount a full-scale assault on his former boss.

Maybe former Arkansas governor Asa Hutchinson or former Texas congressman Will Hurd, who are brave enough to denounce Trump, will catch fire. But, candidly, the emergence of contenders with such low name recognition would be a minor miracle. (And, frankly, people with sane and pleasant personalities are not in vogue in the GOP.)

That leaves many pundits to surmise that Trump is the inevitable nominee, whether he’s on trial, already convicted or merely facing multiple criminal indictments. The Republican primary electorate might be so ensconced in the MAGA cult and so impervious to reason that they cannot imagine that the general electorate would reject him. However, Trump’s nomination is hardly inevitable.

The only real chance for the party to move beyond Trump might be two Republican governors not in the race yet: Georgia’s Brian Kemp and Virginia’s Glenn Youngkin. These governors are not appealing to many moderate and progressive voters; their views on abortion, voting rights, race, education and more are anathema outside the GOP. But that’s not the criteria for marshaling a Trump challenge. Their audience is Republican primary voters..............

NEW YORK (AP) — Seven weeks before the premiere debate of the 2024 GOP primary, anxiety is building that the event could prove messy and divisive for the party.

Some candidates, like former Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson, are struggling to meet fundraising and polling requirements to make it on stage. He and others are pushing back on a loyalty pledge the Republican Party is insisting candidates sign to participate. And the race’s frontrunner, former President Donald Trump, is considering boycotting and holding a competing event instead.

That’s turning what is typically the highly anticipated opener of the election season into a source of uncertainty for the candidates and broader party. The frustration is particularly acute for candidates who hoped to use the forum as a powerful opportunity to confront Trump and try to blunt his momentum.

“If the outcome of all of these machinations is a very limited field and no Trump in the first debate, it’s hard to see how that can be successful,” Hutchinson said in an interview. Still, he said he was confident he will make it to the stage, even though he said he has only received contributions from “over” 5,000 donors.……

What is the penalty for ignoring the loyalty pledge after the fact?

Nothing I’ve read talked about that

Someone signs it, ‘yes I agree’, does all the debates, but when another candidate wins the nomination that someone goes back on the pledge, ‘I will never support so and so’ or that person also runs as a third party candidate

Now what?

Last edited:
    What is the penalty for ignoring the loyalty pledge after the fact?

Nothing I’ve read talked about that

Someone signs it, ‘yes I agree’, does all the debates, but when another candidate wins the nomination that someone goes back on the pledge, ‘I will never support so and so’ or that person also runs as a third party candidate

Now what?
    Politicians back out of pledges all of the time, but most try to meet most of them so that they limit the retribution. This one would be interesting, and probably would result in the candidate losing some votes, since it would make people decide whether their loyalty lies with their candidate or the Republican Party. Of all of the candidates, Trump would lose the least, since he would give some reason for his supporters to justify continuing to support him.

Furthermore, IF Donald Trump were to sign the pledge, I'm certain he would back out if he doesn't win the nomination, and I would be surprised if he DID NOT run as a 3rd party candidate. That would truly destroy the hopes of the Republicans, because even his most spellbound supporters would probably have 2nd thoughts about not pulling the trigger for the Republican nominee. I know many, if not most would continue to support Trump, but even Trump would lose some supporters. What's more, the Republican nominee and the party would completely open up their fire on Trump, which would probably land some punches that stick, which might peel off a few more. However, I think most would stick with him, because none of the other horrible things he's done have resulted in him losing significant support. Trump running as a 3rd party candidate would lead to the most lopsided loss for the Republicans in American history.

It would be a very dumb move for Florida to keep Trump off of the ballot, even if he doesn't sign the pledge. If not signing the pledge were to keep Trump off of the primary ballot in Florida, I think Trump would get more votes as a write-in than any other Republican candidate, so he would still win the primary. That would be a bad look for Florida. Then if this were to somehow disqualify him for being the Republican candidate in the general election ballot, it would be a disaster down ballot for the rest of the Republicans running.

It would be a very dumb move for Florida to keep Trump off of the ballot, even if he doesn't sign the pledge. If not signing the pledge were to keep Trump off of the primary ballot in Florida, I think Trump would get more votes as a write-in than any other Republican candidate, so he would still win the primary. That would be a bad look for Florida. Then if this were to somehow disqualify him for being the Republican candidate in the general election ballot, it would be a disaster down ballot for the rest of the Republicans running.

I don’t see why Trump wouldn’t sign the pledge - he lies every day, why would he need to be honest?

I don’t see why Trump wouldn’t sign the pledge - he lies every day, why would he need to be honest?
    And he knows his supporters will continue to support him, they will torture the truth to make excuses for why he lied, etc.

He may sign the pledge, but Trump may want to push the limits. He may not want to be controlled nor told what to do, and his supporters may prefer that he buck the party. Like I said, he has the least to lose. His supporters have their identities tied up with him, so it would be like losing their identity to stop supporting him. I saw a sign at a rally that said Trump or death. That type of support won't care if he doesn't sign the pledge, and they may actually be disappointed if he does, because no one else will do for them. I don't believe anyone that doesn't support him today will be more likely to support him if he signs the pledge. Even for Trump, it'll take a doozy of a lie to back out of such a pledge. I'm sure he'll come up with something, and most will buy it, but a few will not, which would hurt his 3rd party run. So the question is what does he have to gain by signing the pledge?

I don't think it will matter. DeSantis is going to lose Florida bigly to tangerine Mussolini.

And by the time he gets his arse kicked in his own state, his macho persona will be a distant memory and Disney will have gone in like Lust from Se7en. (Screwing with The Mouse was his biggest mistake by far).

I said he was real world Icarus, about 3/4 of the way to the sun, about two months ago.

After putting out the most homoerotic or homophobic (I honestly can't decide) presidential campaign ad ever (and it ain't close), I'd say we are reaching to touch the sun right now.

After he comes in third in the first primary, well, we all know how it ends.

I don't think it will matter. DeSantis is going to lose Florida bigly to tangerine Mussolini.

And by the time he gets his arse kicked in his own state, his macho persona will be a distant memory and Disney will have gone in like Lust from Se7en. (Screwing with The Mouse was his biggest mistake by far).

I said he was real world Icarus, about 3/4 of the way to the sun, about two months ago.

After putting out the most homoerotic or homophobic (I honestly can't decide) presidential campaign ad ever (and it ain't close), I'd say we are reaching to touch the sun right now.

After he comes in third in the first primary, well, we all know how it ends.

He is one guy I hope who gets the karma he deserves....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom