What happens to the Republican Party now? (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

MT15

Reaction score
    This election nonsense by Trump may end up splitting up the Republican Party. I just don’t see how the one third (?) who are principled conservatives can stay in the same party with Trump sycophants who are willing to sign onto the TX Supreme Court case.

We also saw the alt right types chanting “destroy the GOP” in Washington today because they didn’t keep Trump in power. I think the Q types will also hold the same ill will toward the traditional Republican Party. In fact its quite possible that all the voters who are really in a Trump personality cult will also blame the GOP for his loss. It’s only a matter of time IMO before Trump himself gets around to blaming the GOP.

There is some discussion of this on Twitter. What do you all think?

we'll see if they actually do it and if it makes a difference if they do
    =================================================

More than 100 Republicans say they will leave their party and form a new one if it doesn't split from former President Donald Trump.

The group, which includes former governors and lawmakers, plans to release a letter outlining the threat on Thursday.

The preamble to the statement, published by The New York Times, says: "When in our democratic republic, forces of conspiracy, division, and despotism arise, it is the patriotic duty of citizens to act collectively in defense of liberty and justice."

Those due to sign include former officials, members of Congress, ambassadors, Cabinet secretaries, and party chairmen.

They include former Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Ridge, former New Jersey Gov. Christine Todd Whitman, and former Transportation Secretary Mary Peters, who served under President George W. Bush, The Times and Reuters reported...........

Pointless in a mathematically-enforced two-party system. If they want to effect real change, just become Dems for a cycle or two. Block voter suppression where they can, uphold the rule of law, point out that the Big Lie is, in fact, a lie. Caucus with the Democrats, compromise and offer to throw their weight behind Democrat proposals.
    Just splitting away and becoming an irrelevant 3rd party helps no one.

The ones who are still in office should absolutely withhold their votes from the R party, though. They should declare themselves independent and vote as they wish. They don’t even have to caucus with democrats, I don’t care about that. If just one or two in the Senate had to courage to do that it would be huge. And of course maybe 5 or so in the House. Lisa Murkowski is probably in the best position to do that in the senate.

If they can win their seats again when they come up for re-election, and as incumbents they would have that advantage, they can be power brokers in both houses of Congress. They could be the swing votes that would be the difference and be a check on both parties.

Dave: Well, a lot have flipped, I think. Cheney’s purported replacement was vehemently anti-Trump and now is one of the biggest trumpers around. She went on Bannon’s show recently and said Trump was effectively still president or some such nonsense. I haven’t bothered to learn to spell her last name, but her first name is Elise. That Barbie-doll press secretary used to bad-mouth Trump until she flipped as well.

I think a lot of Republicans actually despise Trump, but are just too cowardly to speak up. At least most of the time. Even McConnell has gone silent, since his speech just after Jan. 6. Theres a nearly complete lack of leadership in R circles right now.

I don't think it to be a display of cowardice, but opportunism. They are going the way the current is going. Trump effectively tapped into religious zealousness, white nationalism, and conspiracy theory nut cases (not that they are mutually exclusive) simply by being crass and not being at risk of committing political suicide, since his career is grifter, not politician. Now that religious zealousness and white nationalism are out in the open, being fully and shamelessly embraced by a very large part of the R voters, the risk of political suicide is minimal, so they are riding the wave Trump created.

Yes, it definitely is opportunism as well, but at the expense of our system of governance. It’s a moral deficit then; they are moral vacuums and unfit for office.

But I’ve also seen people who are or were republicans estimate that only about 4-5 House Rs actually believe that the election was stolen from Trump. All the rest of them just don’t have the courage to tell the truth. They know better, but go along or keep silent. Moral cowards or lack of morality, either way it’s the same result.

Yes, it definitely is opportunism as well, but at the expense of our system of governance. It’s a moral deficit then; they are moral vacuums and unfit for office.

But I’ve also seen people who are or were republicans estimate that only about 4-5 House Rs actually believe that the election was stolen from Trump. All the rest of them just don’t have the courage to tell the truth. They know better, but go along or keep silent. Moral cowards or lack of morality, either way it’s the same result.

They keep silent because they think Trump still controls the party. It's purely self-preservation. Cheney can sort of afford it because she's the daughter of Dick Cheney. They have zero love of allegiance to Trump. But for most others, they don't really have the luxury of opposing Trump without their careers being cut short.

The price we pay for being in a system ruled by 2 parties.

100 prominent GOP members split. Unfortunately, none of them are currently office holders, but we can add Cheney and Kinzinger.

Yeah, unless they get a few in both chambers of Congress, this isn't going to go very far.

Meh, pay walled.

Yeah, unless they get a few in both chambers of Congress, this isn't going to go very far.

Meh, pay walled.
    Here ya go...

Here ya go...

It feels like we get one of these groups every time there's a major upheaval surrounding Trump and the Republican party. Hard to believe that they'll make any difference unless support among the Republican base for Trump craters. Some small signs of him losing support, but not enough to make a difference.

Here ya go...

I'd like to see the letter and list of those 100+ Republicans.

I'd like to see the letter and list of those 100+ Republicans.

Not sure if this is the letter or not
    ======================

The Republican Party made a grievous error this week in ousting Rep. Liz Cheney (Wyo.) from the House leadership for telling the truth about Donald Trump’s “big lie,” which has wreaked havoc in our democratic republic by casting doubt over the 2020 election.

Cheney rightfully struck back against party leaders and warned about the GOP’s dangerous direction. She is not alone.

Alongside dozens of prominent Republicans, ex-Republicans and independents, we are announcing “A Call for American Renewal,” a nationwide rallying cry against extremist elements within the GOP, and highlighting the urgent need for a new, common-sense coalition.

We urge fellow Americans to join us.

Our alliance includes former governors, members of Congress, Cabinet secretaries, state officials, seasoned political strategists and grass-roots leaders dedicated to offering a hopeful, principles-based vision for the country — and ensuring that our votes have decisive impact in key elections across the United States.

We want to give voice to the millions of Americans who feel politically homeless and mobilize them to help chart a new path forward for our country.

It is time for a rebirth of the American cause, which we will pursue in partnership and loyal competition with others committed to the preservation of our Union.

Tragically, the Republican Party has lost its way, perverted by fear, lies and self-interest. What’s more, GOP attacks on the integrity of our elections and our institutions pose a continuing and material threat to the nation.

The Jan. 6 insurrection was a wake-up call for many who had remained loyal to the party, even while harboring concerns about its direction.

Many have since left. The GOP has effectively become a privileged third party, ranking behind independents and Democrats in voter registration.

Meanwhile, Republican legislators are trying to impede voting rights across the country as a last-ditch effort to retain power.

We will not wait forever for the GOP to clean up its act. If we cannot save the Republican Party from itself, we will help save America from extremist elements in the Republican Party.

That means hastening the creation of an alternative: a political movement dedicated to our founding principles and divorced from the GOP’s obsessive cult of personality around a deeply flawed (and twice-impeached) man, whose favorability ratings are reportedly tanking in key swing districts around the country.

We will fight for honorable Republicans who stand up for truth and decency, such as Liz Cheney, Adam Kinzinger, Lisa Murkowski and Mitt Romney, to name a few.

But we will not rely on the old partisan playbook. We intend to work across party lines with other Americans to oppose extremists and defend the republic wherever we can.
    Together with our patriotic allies in other parties, our movement will stand against fearmongers, conspiracy theorists and the opportunists who seek unbridled power.

We plan to invest in a deeper bench of effective leaders in cities and states across the country while recruiting a new generation of principled, pragmatic citizens to the cause.
    Some no doubt will urge us to join the Democratic Party. We believe that inching toward a single-party system would be dangerous and would fail to represent the diverse viewpoints in our nation.

America cannot have just one party committed to preservation of its democratic institutions. There must be at least two, if not more.

With Cheney’s dismissal from House leadership, the battle for the soul of the Republican Party — and our country — is not over. It is just beginning, which is why we are forming a “resistance of the rational” against the radicals.

We still hope for a healthy, thriving Republican Party, but we are no longer holding our breath.

Next month, we will convene a nationwide town hall open to all Americans and featuring current and former U.S. leaders who will lay out where we must go from here, how we can ensure a freer America and how all citizens can join the fight.

Extremists may have fired the first shot in this moral struggle for America’s future, but with truth as our lodestar, those laboring to renew America will fire the last.

IMO, there are no Republicans currently holding office that truly feel that the trump republicans are a threat to the country. If they did, they would do something along the lines of what someone mentioned previously and stop caucusing with the Republicans and help Democrats pass legislation that would put an end to what state republicans are currently trying to do.

That action by itself would ensure the continuance of the democracy we have come to know. I'm not saying they have to become democrats or get on board with everything democrats stand for. In fact, that action would actually help begin the process of re-establishing a Republican party built on true conservative ideals and principles. It would neuter the trump party.

I'd love nothing more than to have 3 or 4 republican senators come on board with democrats to pass voter rights and the infrastructure bills. That action would probably give moscow mitch the turtle mcconnell a heart attack.

IMO, there are no Republicans currently holding office that truly feel that the trump republicans are a threat to the country. If they did, they would do something along the lines of what someone mentioned previously and stop caucusing with the Republicans and help Democrats pass legislation that would put an end to what state republicans are currently trying to do.

That action by itself would ensure the continuance of the democracy we have come to know. I'm not saying they have to become democrats or get on board with everything democrats stand for. In fact, that action would actually help begin the process of re-establishing a Republican party built on true conservative ideals and principles. It would neuter the trump party.

I'd love nothing more than to have 3 or 4 republican senators come on board with democrats to pass voter rights and the infrastructure bills. That action would probably give moscow mitch the turtle mcconnell a heart attack.

I'd love it, but it's political career suicide for anyone who tries it. Already happened to Cheney. She's lucky to still have her House seat, but she lives in Trump country. She's gonna get ousted next election. The only way a revolt happens is if a significant group bands together. I just don't see it unless Romney can put a coalition together.

I'd love it, but it's political career suicide for anyone who tries it. Already happened to Cheney. She's lucky to still have her House seat, but she lives in Trump country. She's gonna get ousted next election. The only way a revolt happens is if a significant group bands together. I just don't see it unless Romney can put a coalition together.
    And that is why I can say easily that there are no republicans currently holding office that truly feel with any conviction that trump and trump republicans are a threat to the country. If they did, then they would do anything within their power to stop them and voting with democrats on legislation designed to stop what trumplicans are trying to do is well within their power.

As far as I'm concerned, if they are not doing everything in their power to stop it, they are allowing it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom