What happens to the Republican Party now? (4 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

MT15

Reaction score
    This election nonsense by Trump may end up splitting up the Republican Party. I just don’t see how the one third (?) who are principled conservatives can stay in the same party with Trump sycophants who are willing to sign onto the TX Supreme Court case.

We also saw the alt right types chanting “destroy the GOP” in Washington today because they didn’t keep Trump in power. I think the Q types will also hold the same ill will toward the traditional Republican Party. In fact its quite possible that all the voters who are really in a Trump personality cult will also blame the GOP for his loss. It’s only a matter of time IMO before Trump himself gets around to blaming the GOP.

There is some discussion of this on Twitter. What do you all think?

Considering that about 40% of people are independents, so maybe most of those would support a sensible moderate party.

Unfortunately I think you will see more lunatics/Trumpublicans win primaries and normal sane Republicans will simply vote for them over the Democrat in the general election.
    well if they don't get the capital from the corporate world we won't . They don't want any more of this nonsensical bullshirt. The asshat ways of this party even with huge tax cuts is no good for them

Considering that about 40% of people are independents, so maybe most of those would support a sensible moderate party.

It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of traditional democrat voters are discouraged by the extreme identity-driven politics of the hard left. I wonder if a new centre-line party could appeal to such democrats, as well as to moderate republicans ?

It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of traditional democrat voters are discouraged by the extreme identity-driven politics of the hard left. I wonder if a new centre-line party could appeal to such democrats, as well as to moderate republicans ?

The Democratic party is that center line party.
    I'm curious, do you get Fox News in GB? You're parroting nearly all of their talking points.
    I mean, if you want to see "extreme identity politics", it doesn't get much more extreme than the Nazis (literal Nazis) currently directing the GOP.

This guy has done nothing but espouse far-right and Trump apologist talking points since he got here while claiming he found MAP via Google. Sounds like a secret squirrel to me.

There's no such thing as a "traditional" democrat. The "hard left" in US politics is made up of about ten House and Senate members and their "extreme" views consist of reigning in fossil fuels, moving to sustainable energy and giving people Universal Healthcare, which I'm pretty sure are things that enjoy majority support in Europe and the UK. "Identity politics" is a dog whistle.

This guy has done nothing but espouse far-right and Trump apologist talking points since he got here while claiming he found MAP via Google. Sounds like a secret squirrel to me.

There's no such thing as a "traditional" democrat. The "hard left" in US politics is made up of about ten House and Senate members and their "extreme" views consist of reigning in fossil fuels, moving to sustainable energy and giving people Universal Healthcare, which I'm pretty sure are things that enjoy majority support in Europe and the UK. "Identity politics" is a dog whistle.

VPN.

Don't feed.

Nope, I have a feeling the normal, sane ones are just going to drop out of the political process entirely until those idiots get the message that they can't win.

At least I hope so. Otherwise, we're truly forked as a country and society.
    You live in Virginia right? There are lessons to be learned here for the Republican party but they don't seem to be learning them.
    VA was one of the first states to flip purple and then blue in reaction to the increased stupidity of the right, starting with the Palin experiment. But instead of the republican party wising up and putting forward more moderate candidates like Larry Hogan, for instance, they're doubling down on maga, and as a result haven't won a statewide race in over 10 years.

We know how this goes though. The democrats, emboldened by having no serious competition, will lurch further and further left, and won't be able to help themselves from enacting extremely unpopular taxes and regulations. Then, hopefully, the Larry Hogans and Charlie Bakers of the world come to the rescue as reasonable republicans who believe in facts. The question remains how popular guys like that can be at a federal level, or if they'll just take too much heat from the liberals and MAGAs to survive.

Actually, "all I've done" is to question your narrative ? I haven't 'espoused' anything; merely asked you to clarify your points ?

If that is TOO upsetting for you colonials; if it upsets your delicate sensibilities, then I can only apologise :D

I had assumed that MadAboutPolitics was a debate forum, but it appears to me that it is - in places - somewhat of an echo chamber; anyone who challenges the perceived wisdom or narrative is an intruder to be repelled.

I hope I am proved wrong !

Actually, "all I've done" is to question your narrative ? I haven't 'espoused' anything; merely asked you to clarify your points ?

If that is TOO upsetting for you colonials; if it upsets your delicate sensibilities, then I can only apologise :D

I had assumed that MadAboutPolitics was a debate forum, but it appears to me that it is - in places - somewhat of an echo chamber; anyone who challenges the perceived wisdom or narrative is an intruder to be repelled.

A number of people are engaging you honestly and respectfully, answering your questions, clarifying points, and providing links and evidence.

You're already proved wrong.

Actually, what you've done is engage in a Socratic Gish Gallop

Just repeatedly asserting right-wing talking points without substantiation - as you have with your various references to the 'extreme left' - is not challenging perceived wisdom or narratives, it's just crudely pushing a different one.

@Xeno and @Taurus, on the other hand, did challenge your narrative, accurately pointing out that even the left of the Democratic platform in the US is very much in line with mainstream centrist politics in the UK and Europe, and that "extreme identity politics" is more applicable to the white supremacist neo-Nazi movement increasingly associated with the GOP.

Which you've just ignored, choosing instead, ironically, to complain about an absence of debate.

Actually, what you've done is engage in a Socratic Gish Gallop
    A Gish Gallop ? I'd not heard that phrase before, and had to google it.

I don't think that's what I've been doing. (I certainly hope not). Unlike the "Gish Gallop", I don't ignore the responses.

I don't think that's what I've been doing. (I certainly hope not). Unlike the "Gish Gallop", I don't ignore the responses.

No, you just restate the original question in slightly different terms.

I think the only way forward, is less focus on party and more on actually listening to greivances and fixing the ones worth fixing. Always listen to pain, just don't listen to their prescriptions.

You have to shake off the 'government is against the people' feeling. And that takes hard work and time.

I'm not sure the Republican party is salvageable. There needs to be a bigger tent moderate party where parts of the platforms of either format party are accepted and differing opinions within the party are allowed to flourish. No one has all the answers and no one party has a corner on the political landscape.

In the near term, a lot of centrists are going to be without a party for a bit. I don't think returning to the Republican party is something I can see myself doing for a long time, if ever. The crazies will have to be fully done away with, or a new party without the crazies has to be formed.

Part of the way to get there is ranked choice voting. More states need to consider this and voting has to be a sacred right that is accessible to every citizen.

I guess that's a whole other discussion, but I'm just not seeing a way forward in the party without some serious changes being made.
    A. 100% for ranked choice - very important- more choices not fewer
    BUT
    B. I think maybe you’re holding on to a bit of old-timey propaganda- there is a centrist party - for all intents and purposes Dems are a straight centrist party
    What this country lacks at the moment is an empowered progressive wing - sure there are some progressive voices being amplified, but they have very little power in their own party and certainly not as much as the right wing has in its party

And as long as the structure of congress remains gerrymandered, this won’t really change

You've ignored some. Often the most substantial ones.

Conservatives/Republican voters can start by finding out which politicians in congress took money from "Big Tech" and kick them from their party in the next elections. You can't control the entire government in 2017, do nothing then whine about how "Big Tech" is censoring your talking points. Maybe, just maybe, they should learn some unity and quit being the party of backstabbers. Mitch McConnel who gets to enjoy a new term torpedo'ed your party a week before a huge election over covid relief. This massive run-off election is going to set the agenda over the next 4 years in congress. Here is a man who just got a new term off a fresh re-election, 78 years old and about to steal his way even more into his retirement. Why would this man care about the future of the party? He's going to get his money on his way out. That man sold every conservative republican voter down the river whilst laughing about it behind closed doors.

Republican politicians stab each other and their voting base in the back more than little finger in game of thrones, its crazy to watch unfold.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom