What happens to the Republican Party now? (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

MT15

Reaction score
    This election nonsense by Trump may end up splitting up the Republican Party. I just don’t see how the one third (?) who are principled conservatives can stay in the same party with Trump sycophants who are willing to sign onto the TX Supreme Court case.

We also saw the alt right types chanting “destroy the GOP” in Washington today because they didn’t keep Trump in power. I think the Q types will also hold the same ill will toward the traditional Republican Party. In fact its quite possible that all the voters who are really in a Trump personality cult will also blame the GOP for his loss. It’s only a matter of time IMO before Trump himself gets around to blaming the GOP.

There is some discussion of this on Twitter. What do you all think?

Conservatives/Republican voters can start by finding out which politicians in congress took money from "Big Tech" and kick them from their party in the next elections. You can't control the entire government in 2017, do nothing then whine about how "Big Tech" is censoring your talking points. Maybe, just maybe, they should learn some unity and quit being the party of backstabbers. Mitch McConnel who gets to enjoy a new term torpedo'ed your party a week before a huge election over covid relief. This massive run-off election is going to set the agenda over the next 4 years in congress. Here is a man who just got a new term off a fresh re-election, 78 years old and about to steal his way even more into his retirement. Why would this man care about the future of the party? He's going to get his money on his way out. That man sold every conservative republican voter down the river whilst laughing about it behind closed doors.

Republican politicians stab each other and their voting base in the back more than little finger in game of thrones, its crazy to watch unfold.
    what republican politician should others emulate?

Conservatives/Republican voters can start by finding out which politicians in congress took money from "Big Tech" and kick them from their party in the next elections. You can't control the entire government in 2017, do nothing then whine about how "Big Tech" is censoring your talking points. Maybe, just maybe, they should learn some unity and quit being the party of backstabbers. Mitch McConnel who gets to enjoy a new term torpedo'ed your party a week before a huge election over covid relief. This massive run-off election is going to set the agenda over the next 4 years in congress. Here is a man who just got a new term off a fresh re-election, 78 years old and about to steal his way even more into his retirement. Why would this man care about the future of the party? He's going to get his money on his way out. That man sold every conservative republican voter down the river whilst laughing about it behind closed doors.

Republican politicians stab each other and their voting base in the back more than little finger in game of thrones, its crazy to watch unfold.

So the answer to the rabid partisanship and tribalism that is tearing this country apart is...

...more rabid partisanship and tribalism. Got it.

Mitch McConnel who gets to enjoy a new term torpedo'ed your party a week before a huge election over covid relief. This massive run-off election is going to set the agenda over the next 4 years in congress. Here is a man who just got a new term off a fresh re-election, 78 years old and about to steal his way even more into his retirement. Why would this man care about the future of the party? He's going to get his money on his way out. That man sold every conservative republican voter down the river whilst laughing about it behind closed doors.

McConnell played his part for sure, but Trump (and the Q grifter lawyers who latched on to him to raise money from rubes) is at minimum just as responsible for the loss in Georgia. Was Trump trying to unify the GOP when he called Raffensperger and threatened him with federal prosecution because Raffensperger wouldn't commit election fraud and "find" votes?

I think the phone call has gotten lost in the shuffle following the insurrection, but it was no less an impeachable offense.

This is an interesting and weird take. Also a lot of wrong or weird assertions. But, I wouldnt dismiss the general point.

It is sad he is dead John McCain .

He is what they all should strive to be.

That is actually both sides should be more Americans first like McCain. I didn't agree with him on policy but the people came first

yeah but now a lot of "conservatives" call him a RINO... so I doubt that will happen. Should, yes, would, doubtful

This guy has done nothing but espouse far-right and Trump apologist talking points since he got here while claiming he found MAP via Google. Sounds like a secret squirrel to me.

There's no such thing as a "traditional" democrat. The "hard left" in US politics is made up of about ten House and Senate members and their "extreme" views consist of reigning in fossil fuels, moving to sustainable energy and giving people Universal Healthcare, which I'm pretty sure are things that enjoy majority support in Europe and the UK. "Identity politics" is a dog whistle.
    I also believe that identity politics is very prevalent in both the democratic and republican parties, but I prefer to remove it as much as possible. I'm a Democrat that totally supports reigning in fossil fuels, universal healthcare, and moving to sustainable energy, which is why I love Biden, but I don't agree with the overt appeals to race that is growing within the democratic party. I think Obama struck a perfect balance, and I think Biden is similar, but Biden is focusing more than I would like on identity politics. I think he has made race and identity too important in his cabinet selections, because he has been getting a lot of pressure to repay the people that helped elect him. It should be a factor, but making historic choices based on identity has become more important than it should be. It started with Kamala, which I think is a good choice, but that led to celebrations of her indian and black ethnicity, outweighing celebrations of her qualification and competence. Obama was a historic choice, and his race was certainly celebrated, but I chose him because he was the best, not because he was black. I would've chosen Obama regardless of his identity. I agree that the Democratic party is much more centrist than the current Republican party, and in many ways it is like the old Republican party of Lincoln, not Reagan nor certainly Trump, so the left-of-center space is largely occupied by democrats, but I think there is a space for a right-of-center fiscal party and left of center social party that is less focused on identity politics. I think it would draw most independents, many Republicans and some Democrats, which could make it a dominant party. We need at least 2 strong parties, but I wish we had ranked choice voting to encourage the growth of more parties to represent us.

I agree that the Democratic party is much more centrist than the current Republican party, and in many ways it is like the old Republican party of Lincoln, not Reagan nor certainly Trump, so the left-of-center space is largely occupied by democrats, but I think there is a space for a right-of-center fiscal party and left of center social party that is less focused on identity politics. I think it would draw most independents, many Republicans and some Democrats, which could make it a dominant party. We need at least 2 strong parties, but I wish we had ranked choice voting to encourage the growth of more parties to represent us.

I don't have much to add but reminded me of this

I think (R) has moved so far right that this is a byproduct

This is an interesting and weird take. Also a lot of wrong or weird assertions. But, I wouldnt dismiss the general point.

I'm not sure if there is anything in that article not based on "alternative facts." The Republican party is a multiracial group supportive of the working class(labor)? Trump's policies were hampered by the old republican party? Trump has no policy framework or direction. Everything he says is seat of the pants.

I don't have much to add but reminded me of this

I think (R) has moved so far right that this is a byproduct

I mean JBE was getting attack ads calling him a leftist liberal or some nonsense. The obvious base directed hyperbole aside, he's someone else you'd really tag as an R in most places.

I think the only way forward, is less focus on party and more on actually listening to greivances and fixing the ones worth fixing. Always listen to pain, just don't listen to their prescriptions.

You have to shake off the 'government is against the people' feeling. And that takes hard work and time.
    It's gotten to the point where I think it would make more sense to have public referendums on issues rather than expect the elected representatives to do their job.
    The whole point of having a republic instead of a true democracy is so that we can elect dedicated representatives to make educated decisions in our best interest while we can continue to live our lives. But through all of the voter fraud BS, republicans just flat out admitted that they would rather punt their duties to the wind of public sentiment, even if public sentiment says the earth is flat. They're stepping down in favor of public opinion polls. So what is their purpose exactly?

I'm not sure if there is anything in that article not based on "alternative facts." The Republican party is a multiracial group supportive of the working class(labor)? Trump's policies were hampered by the old republican party? Trump has no policy framework or direction. Everything he says is seat of the pants.
    I agree, but the working class part is correct. Working class have been defecting from Democrats to Republicans, but they're not on board with the traditional 'big business' side of the GOP, but they kind of are. it's weird. Outside of a few issues, if Democrats were just more rough and tough, these folks would be democrats.

One of my nuttier GOP voter friends from back home posted this. So, I know she agrees with it. This is where they're heading.

So, for whatever reason, the Trump riot in DC or the smear of McCain, but Rs appear to be leaving the party in AZ

This is a good piece from Jennifer Rubin at WaPo. I know not all of you have subs there, so I'll paste a couple of passages in conclusion (note that these ideas are supported in the piece, not just thrown out there but I can't post it all).

Anyone who paid attention to Trump’s rhetoric and polling of his supporters would have seen that “Make America Great Again” — a call to return to the way America used to be — is rooted in white supremacy. That was evident at the violent attack at the Capitol. We did not see people carrying “Save the factories!” or “More jobs!” signs. The insurrectionists told us exactly who they were.
    . . .
    Does the Republican Party want to become a grab bag of these hate groups, or does it want to repudiate them and return to the fold of normal small-“d” democratic politics? Before they can decide that, they need to acknowledge who these people are, what they represent and how they are inflamed. Although courts, media and civil society have a role to expose these seditionists, it is the Republican Party that will decide whether it descends into white supremacy and authoritarianism.

I find it hard to take anything from Rubin too seriously. Everything she writes is just a hit piece on Republicans, and how they're forever doomed (yet still persist!)

Rather than a grab bag of hate groups, the Republican party is starting to be a big tent party of everyone that hates Democrats for various reasons (including hate groups of course.)

There is a new strain of Democrat-hating over the last year and its neither the hate groups or the "save the factories" folks that she seems to think are the only alternative. It's the anti-lockdown folks, and its the most consistent theme with any protest going on right now.

The bottom line is Americans really really hate being told what to do, no matter how reasonable the message. And now that conservatives have gotten less sanctimonious on high profile issues like gay marriage and legalized pot, all of a sudden liberals are the preachy ones, and conservatives are the "do whatever the fork you want" people.

The Republican party, despite having no legitimate platform, will continue to get along just fine as the "anti-Democrat" party as long as the Democrats can continue to be painted as the self-righteous pricks of the two party system.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom