What happens to the Republican Party now? (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

MT15

Reaction score
    This election nonsense by Trump may end up splitting up the Republican Party. I just don’t see how the one third (?) who are principled conservatives can stay in the same party with Trump sycophants who are willing to sign onto the TX Supreme Court case.

We also saw the alt right types chanting “destroy the GOP” in Washington today because they didn’t keep Trump in power. I think the Q types will also hold the same ill will toward the traditional Republican Party. In fact its quite possible that all the voters who are really in a Trump personality cult will also blame the GOP for his loss. It’s only a matter of time IMO before Trump himself gets around to blaming the GOP.

There is some discussion of this on Twitter. What do you all think?

I find it hard to take anything from Rubin too seriously. Everything she writes is just a hit piece on Republicans, and how they're forever doomed (yet still persist!)

Rather than a grab bag of hate groups, the Republican party is starting to be a big tent party of everyone that hates Democrats for various reasons (including hate groups of course.)

There is a new strain of Democrat-hating over the last year and its neither the hate groups or the "save the factories" folks that she seems to think are the only alternative. It's the anti-lockdown folks, and its the most consistent theme with any protest going on right now.

The bottom line is Americans really really hate being told what to do, no matter how reasonable the message. And now that conservatives have gotten less sanctimonious on high profile issues like gay marriage and legalized pot, all of a sudden liberals are the preachy ones, and conservatives are the "do whatever the fork you want" people.

The Republican party, despite having no legitimate platform, will continue to get along just fine as the "anti-Democrat" party as long as the Democrats can continue to be painted as the self-righteous pricks of the two party system.
    My take is that the extremists have taken over the message, and most people are just willful lemmings following along.

I hear you on the rest, just don't have much to add yet.

It's at an inflection point. The conviction vote in the Senate will determine whether they are ready to take the party back from Trump or whether it's going to be a slow, drawn out process. Not opting to make Trump ineligible for public office would be a huge blunder. The GOP has a moronic winner-take-all format to most of their primaries. Trump would easily secure the 2024 nomination with only 25-30% of the vote.

Well, it's going to be a real problem at some point. How long do we keep mortgaging the future before we're past the point of no return? I mean, it's a question that has to be addressed sooner or later.

I would rather they didn't touch it for a long time. I do not trust the current leadership to not cut social services, or benefits. They could easily raise taxes on the rich, but I would remind everyone Obama tried to get tax hike for hedge funds. Who stopped that? Not a Republican, but your current senate majority leader Chuck Schumer. Joe Biden has been talking about cutting social security for 40 years. Hopefully a more populist, and egalitarian democratic party of the future can tackle this issue.

If Trump actually makes a Patriot Party, the GOP faces even more dire existential questions.

My prediction: he'll talk about it, but he'll take it as seriously as he did when he promised a healthcare plan was two weeks from being announced

If Trump actually makes a Patriot Party, the GOP faces even more dire existential questions.

My prediction: he'll talk about it, but he'll take it as seriously as he did when he promised a healthcare plan was two weeks from being announced

He said that the same day Mitch made a public rebuke of his actions in the capitol insurrection. I interpreted it as a threat directed at Mitch.

Mitch is in a bind. If he sticks with Trump, and votes down impeachment the Republican party faces massive funding issues. Corporate America won't support a party that tries it's hand at a coup. However, if Mitch gets the votes together for impeachment he could splinter the party. I totally believe Trump being spiteful enough to start his own party. The upcoming trial is going to have massive repercussions for the Republican party.

Corporate donors would want nothing to do with a Patriot Party (MyPillow excluded). The GOP might suffer a short-term defeat but would regroup in time. They just stocked the Supreme Court with three justices who are 50ish or younger and Thomas and Alito probably have another ten or fifteen years left in them barring a stroke or something. To Mitch McConnell, everything else is fleeting. In fact, you can arguably raise more money as the opposition party.

I know it was mentioned before, but according to this article:

The most immediate threat to Cheney — a push by Trump loyalists to oust her as conference chair — has gained momentum inside the House GOP, although the process is complicated and could still sputter out. But at least 107 Republicans, or just over a majority, have communicated to the leaders of that effort that they would support removing Cheney from leadership on a secret ballot, according to multiple GOP sources involved in the effort. Others are threatening to boycott future conference meetings if she remains in power.

The most immediate threat to Cheney — a push by Trump loyalists to oust her as conference chair — has gained momentum inside the House GOP, although the process is complicated and could still sputter out. But at least 107 Republicans, or just over a majority, have communicated to the leaders of that effort that they would support removing Cheney from leadership on a secret ballot, according to multiple GOP sources involved in the effort. Others are threatening to boycott future conference meetings if she remains in power.

The fact that they're even discussing this at all is clear evidence of just how far gone the Republican party is.

they would support removing Cheney from leadership on a secret ballot
    If the Sedition Caucus feels so strongly that she should be removed from her position, then why hide?

Well, it's going to be a real problem at some point. How long do we keep mortgaging the future before we're past the point of no return? I mean, it's a question that has to be addressed sooner or later.
    They should have saved that Trillion a year the last two years by not having the tax cut on the wealthy that has been of no help then or now.

Rates are low, there will be pain later, but there is a lot more pain now.

Some items on their agenda will be sacrificed or paired down. It's a starting point

Janet Yellen said something along the lines that they learned when they went through the Great Recession recovery that they didn’t do enough, which caused the recovery to be a bit slower to take off than it needed to. Disclaimer, going from memory and am most definitely not an economist.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom