What happens to the Republican Party now? (5 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

MT15

Reaction score
    This election nonsense by Trump may end up splitting up the Republican Party. I just don’t see how the one third (?) who are principled conservatives can stay in the same party with Trump sycophants who are willing to sign onto the TX Supreme Court case.

We also saw the alt right types chanting “destroy the GOP” in Washington today because they didn’t keep Trump in power. I think the Q types will also hold the same ill will toward the traditional Republican Party. In fact its quite possible that all the voters who are really in a Trump personality cult will also blame the GOP for his loss. It’s only a matter of time IMO before Trump himself gets around to blaming the GOP.

There is some discussion of this on Twitter. What do you all think?

So should we stop counting people who stood up to the values of their time as heroes?

Should the underground railroad be seen as a subversive effort attempting to overthrow society as we know it.
    Straw men are not allowed.
    If you had been vocal for gay rights in 1850 society would think you are nuts. Who are we to judge how people lived in that era? Why should we expect people that lived in ancient times to have the same values as people in 2021? It is a very naive incorrect manner to study history or other cultural values of the past.

Some modern historians seek to avoid presentism in their work because they consider it a form of cultural bias, and believe it creates a distorted understanding of their subject matter. The practice of presentism is regarded by some as a common fallacy when writing about the past. WIKI

Straw men are not allowed.
    If you had been vocal for gay rights in 1850 society would think you are nuts. Who are we to judge how people lived in that era? Why should we expect people that lived in ancient times to have the same values as people in 2021? It is a very naive incorrect manner to study history or other cultural values of the past.

Some modern historians seek to avoid presentism in their work because they consider it a form of cultural bias, and believe it creates a distorted understanding of their subject matter. The practice of presentism is regarded by some as a common fallacy when writing about the past. WIKI

You were using presentism to defend John Wayne. John Wayne was a racist by the standards of the society in which he lived.

It's not like we are saying Socrates didn't believe in racial equality so his writings are worthless.

You clearly don't really understand what the concept of presentism is, and assume it is just some way to defend racism. You almost exclusively use presentism as an excuse for racism.

80% of your posts are either excusing or promoting racism.

You were using presentism to defend John Wayne. John Wayne was a racist by the standards of the society in which he lived.

It's not like we are saying Socrates didn't believe in racial equality so his writings are worthless.

You clearly don't really understand what the concept of presentism is, and assume it is just some way to defend racism. You almost exclusively use presentism as an excuse for racism.

80% of your posts are either excusing or promoting racism.
    You are a one track mind. Presentism has nothing to do with racism. Presentism simply means to judge historical events within the context of the era and not with 2021 values.

If you racism everywhere you may be suffering from PTSD.

One of us is certainly racisming everywhere.
    Seriously, white men that grew up in the 1930s and 1940s were quite racists. Men of this era are way less racists. The difference should be analyzed within the context of each era. All I am doing is making an observation. That does not mean I endorse John Wayne. The Hollywood of that era was incredibly racist. If John Wayne lived in Hollywood in 2021 I suspect he would be very woke. Today in 2021 most people in Hollywood are woke and virtue signalers. A hundred years from now that virtue signaling and wokeness should be analyzed within the context of this era.

Seriously, white men that grew up in the 1930s and 1940s were quite racists. Men of this era are way less racists. The difference should be analyzed within the context of each era. All I am doing is making an observation. That does not mean I endorse John Wayne. The Hollywood of that era was incredibly racist. If John Wayne lived in Hollywood in 2021 I suspect he would be very woke. Today in 2021 most people in Hollywood are woke and virtue signalers. A hundred years from now that virtue signaling and wokeness should be analyzed within the context of this era.
    There were more than enough white men who grew up in the 30s and 40s that weren't racists to excuse anyone's racism from that time or especially into the 1970s (which is when John Wayne was still making racist comments).

There were more than enough white men who grew up in the 30s and 40s that weren't racists to excuse anyone's racism from that time or especially into the 1970s (which is when John Wayne was still making racist comments).
    I am not endorsing or approving John Wayne. I simply make the observation that many white men in that era practice racism. That has changed significantly over the years. I suspect racism will be disappear in a couple of hundred years to be replaced by classism.

As I said, it was another era.
    Judging the past with present concepts is not sound.

pres·ent·ism
    /ˈprezenˌtizəm/

noun

1. uncritical adherence to present-day attitudes, especially the tendency to interpret past events in terms of modern values and concepts.
    Reagan would say or do anything that would make people like him. My grandmother got to know him daily well when he was filming a movie near glacier park. Always thought he was a nice guy but would say whatever the person he was talking to wanted to hear. He was heavily Union and highly involved in the screen actors guild in his youth. When governor of CA as a Republican (which was the easy way then, raised taxes, signed the nations no fault divorce law (regretted it) signed nations first abortion law (regretted it). Was never a consistent church goer until it suited him for his presidential run, then took and changed everything when he got in with the moral majority for power.

No Reagan was nothing but a racist snake. Sorry

Reagan would say or do anything that would make people like him. My grandmother got to know him daily well when he was filming a movie near glacier park. Always thought he was a nice guy but would say whatever the person he was talking to wanted to hear. He was heavily Union and highly involved in the screen actors guild in his youth. When governor of CA as a Republican (which was the easy way then, raised taxes, signed the nations no fault divorce law (regretted it) signed nations first abortion law (regretted it). Was never a consistent church goer until it suited him for his presidential run, then took and changed everything when he got in with the moral majority for power.

No Reagan was nothing but a racist snake. Sorry
    You have made a great argument. When it comes to politicians they are snakes in any era.
    Racism is also universal and hence you may have a point. The only thing is that it was much more accepted in other eras. It would be foolish to expect people in the 1600's to have the same moral values as people in 2021*.

*This sentence does not mean I am endorsing the racism of the past.

As I said, it was another era.
    Judging the past with present concepts is not sound.

pres·ent·ism
    /ˈprezenˌtizəm/

noun

1. uncritical adherence to present-day attitudes, especially the tendency to interpret past events in terms of modern values and concepts.
    Sorry. Being a gutless turd has no temporal boundaries. John Wayne was a gutless turd.

But beyond that? Do we accept slavery was fine just because it was fine 150 years ago or thousands of years ago? Do we accept that women were treated as second class citizens because they were for centuries? What about gays? Oh, it was ok before because it was in the past. Oh, it is all in there past except…”the past isn’t dead, it not even past”, “He who controls the past controls the future.”

Sorry. Being a gutless turd has no temporal boundaries. John Wayne was a gutless turd.

But beyond that? Do we accept slavery was fine just because it was fine 150 years ago or thousands of years ago? Do we accept that women were treated as second class citizens because they were for centuries? What about gays? Oh, it was ok before because it was in the past. Oh, it is all in there past except…”the past isn’t dead, it not even past”, “He who controls the past controls the future.”
    Perhaps I did not explain this correctly. Let's look at the example below:

Today in 2021 society believes it is perfectly acceptable for a person to work for another person for wages. The person in the dominant position (the employer) gets to dictate how many hours the employee must work, what is expected, what are the rules, etc. In the private industry it is understood that the employer uses the employee for the benefit of the business and to make a profit. The productivity of the employee enriches the employer. The communists, small minority believe that working for someone is a form of pseudo-slavery. However, the majority at large sees nothing wrong with getting a job.

Perhaps 500 years from now when automation is in full force and when the world wealth is much greater the norm will be Universal Basic Income (UBI) and those that elect to work will work for themselves. It is likely that era will determine that the practice of working for someone else is barbaric. However, in this era I do not know anyone (except the commies) that believes working for a private employer is barbaric. In our era we judge the concept of working for someone else (pseudo-slavery) as normal.

Slavery was a world wide phenomenon for centuries and people that lived in ancient times thought it was acceptable. Everybody knows slavery is wrong in 2021. But, most people thought is was OK in 1621.

I hope this makes it clear for you.

Last edited:
    More idiocy from an R governor. A reporter found that SS numbers for teachers were encoded in the HTML of a public directory published by the state. The reporter informed the state agency and held off on reporting the breach of privacy long enough for the state to fix it. Now the governor wants the reporter prosecuted for “hacking”. You just cannot make this stuff up.

More idiocy from an R governor. A reporter found that SS numbers for teachers were encoded in the HTML of a public directory published by the state. The reporter informed the state agency and held off on reporting the breach of privacy long enough for the state to fix it. Now the governor wants the reporter prosecuted for “hacking”. You just cannot make this stuff up.

What a frickin moronic idiot….

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom