What happens to the Republican Party now? (6 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

MT15

Reaction score
    This election nonsense by Trump may end up splitting up the Republican Party. I just don’t see how the one third (?) who are principled conservatives can stay in the same party with Trump sycophants who are willing to sign onto the TX Supreme Court case.

We also saw the alt right types chanting “destroy the GOP” in Washington today because they didn’t keep Trump in power. I think the Q types will also hold the same ill will toward the traditional Republican Party. In fact its quite possible that all the voters who are really in a Trump personality cult will also blame the GOP for his loss. It’s only a matter of time IMO before Trump himself gets around to blaming the GOP.

There is some discussion of this on Twitter. What do you all think?

This guy is a good man. Too bad people like him turned out to be a tiny portion of the GOP.

There are a few more tweets in the thread if anyone cares to look. He remains optimistic that people will wake up.

I would also like to point out that the R party is shrinking. It’s down to 28% of the voting population IIRC. Independent voters do not align with the GOP on gun safety measures, abortion, or the culture wars against LGBTQ people. Independent voters make up 40% of the voting population.

I definitely agree the GOP is further right and more radical, but I also think they won’t attract any more voters than they already have. That doesn’t mean they aren’t dangerous. But we see in TN what can happen when they go too far.

I remain hopeful that the vast majority of people will wake up and see the GOP for what they have become. Extremists. America doesn’t like extremists of any stripe.

This is actually a bit hopeful. It was bi-partisan vote and the lady is a Q nut who introduced a “witness” to a proceeding who spewed election lies and smeared the Governor and the Speaker of the House.
    Meanwhile, in Arizona...

Meanwhile, in Arizona...

I disagree with that one as well. Expulsion shouldn't even be an option, it should be a full-on impeachment. There should be a trial where her actions would be put on full display to all of her constituents.

As for the GOP being the ones to take that action against her, they reap what they sow! They are directly responsible for her being there in the first place and I believe they should be forced to either live with her antics or put on a full trial showing why she is being removed! I know the latter won't happen because that would be an admission that they are all full of shirt.

This thread is completely full of former GOP who have sworn off voting for any R. I know it’s anecdotal, but it made me a bit hopeful to read the comments.

“We called for you all to ban assault weapons, and you respond with an assault on democracy.” These were the words of Justin Jones, a Black Democrat, to Tennessee Republicans after he and a colleague, Justin Pearson, were expelled for leading a gun protest on the state house of representatives floor.

A week later, Jones and Pearson were reinstated amid applause, whoops and cheers at the state capitol in Nashville. But few believe that the assault on democracy is at an end. What happened in Tennessee is seen as indicative of a Donald Trump-led Republican party ready to push its extremist agenda by any means necessary.

Opinion poll after opinion poll shows that Republicans are increasingly out of touch with mainstream sentiment on hot button issues such as abortion rights and gun safety. Accordingly, the party has suffered disappointment in elections in 2018, 2020 and 2022. Yet instead of rethinking its positions, critics say, it is turning to rightwing judges and state legislators to enforce minority rule.

Larry Jacobs, director of the Center for the Study of Politics and Governance at the University of Minnesota, said: “The ballot box didn’t work – the voice of the people said, we’re not going to tolerate these kind of threats by Republicans. But Republicans are using other tools and shredding the fabric of American democracy. It’s a kind of minority authoritarianism.”

Despite extraordinary pressures, democracy has proved resilient in recent years. It survived an insurrection at the US Capitol on 6 January 2021. Joe Biden was sworn in as the duly elected president and declared in his inaugural address: “Democracy has prevailed.” And election deniers were routed in last year’s midterms.

But while Democrats control the White House and Senate, Republicans have proved expert at finding workarounds, using cogs in the machine that have typically received less attention from activists, journalists and voters. One of them is the judiciary.

The supreme court, which includes three justices appointed during Trump’s single term, last year overturned the Roe v Wade ruling that had enshrined the right to abortion for nearly half a century, despite opinion polls showing a majority wanted to protect it……

Representative Marjorie Taylor Greenereportedly spent more than $65,000 of her campaign funds installing a fence at her home, according to Federal Election Commissionrecords.

Ms Greene's schedule B itemized disbursements show her various campaign expenditures. Included in that list is a $65,257.49 payment to Bartow Fence Company Inc for the installation of an "additional security fence for residence."

The expenditure is not illegal; FEC rules allow candidates to spend campaign funds on personal security. However, the cost of the fence is more than $10,000 more than the median household income in her district, according to RawStory.

HomeAdvisor estimates that a typical homeowner spends between $1,400 and $4,500 on fence installation. Even if a special security fence cost ten times the high-end average amount, it would still be less than Ms Greene spent on her fence……

Representative Marjorie Taylor Greenereportedly spent more than $65,000 of her campaign funds installing a fence at her home, according to Federal Election Commissionrecords.

Ms Greene's schedule B itemized disbursements show her various campaign expenditures. Included in that list is a $65,257.49 payment to Bartow Fence Company Inc for the installation of an "additional security fence for residence."

The expenditure is not illegal; FEC rules allow candidates to spend campaign funds on personal security. However, the cost of the fence is more than $10,000 more than the median household income in her district, according to RawStory.

HomeAdvisor estimates that a typical homeowner spends between $1,400 and $4,500 on fence installation. Even if a special security fence cost ten times the high-end average amount, it would still be less than Ms Greene spent on her fence……

Where are they getting a fence for five grand? I'd love to get a fence for only five grand. $1,500 pretty much gets me the holes for the fenceposts. That $65k seems entirely legit to me if it's going around acreage.

Where are they getting a fence for five grand? I'd love to get a fence for only five grand. $1,500 pretty much gets me the holes for the fenceposts. That $65k seems entirely legit to me if it's going around acreage.
    $65k is exhorbitant. $5k is ridiculously low. I replaced a privacy fence for about half of a 1 1/2 acre lot for $10k. That included removal of an old fence. I also had a bid to do it for about $20k, but I shopped around. The whole yard, which is well over an acre would’ve cost me less than $40k using the most expensive contractor. If I had done a wrought iron fence, then the price goes way up, so it depends on the type of fence, but $65k is crazy high for a normal 1/2 acre subdivision lot.

$65k is exhorbitant. $5k is ridiculously low. I replaced a privacy fence for about half of a 1 1/2 acre lot for $10k. That included removal of an old fence. I also had a bid to do it for about $20k, but I shopped around. The whole yard, which is well over an acre would’ve cost me less than $40k using the most expensive contractor. If I had done a wrought iron fence, then the price goes way up, so it depends on the type of fence, but $65k is crazy high for a normal 1/2 acre subdivision lot.
    I don't know how much of her property she fenced but she has 10 acres.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom