What happens to the Republican Party now? (5 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

MT15

Reaction score
    This election nonsense by Trump may end up splitting up the Republican Party. I just don’t see how the one third (?) who are principled conservatives can stay in the same party with Trump sycophants who are willing to sign onto the TX Supreme Court case.

We also saw the alt right types chanting “destroy the GOP” in Washington today because they didn’t keep Trump in power. I think the Q types will also hold the same ill will toward the traditional Republican Party. In fact its quite possible that all the voters who are really in a Trump personality cult will also blame the GOP for his loss. It’s only a matter of time IMO before Trump himself gets around to blaming the GOP.

There is some discussion of this on Twitter. What do you all think?

Moms For Liberty, founded in 2021, is the far-right group that has been pushing for MAGA curriculums in schools and trying to pressure teachers into avoiding any topics having to do with gay rights or the United States’ history of racism. In Moms for Liberty’s world, discussing the beliefs of Malcolm X or Cecil B. Moore in a classroom could be considered teaching “critical race theory” — although the academic field of study known as CRT didn’t exist until the 1980s, which was after the deaths of Malcolm X in 1965 and Moore in 1979.

Now, according to journalist Melissa Gira Grant, a Moms for Liberty offshoot is focusing specifically on book repositories: Moms for Libraries.

In an article published by The New Republic on January 11, Grant reports, “Conservatives have made libraries a target of extreme ire over the past several years, as in the moral panic over drag queen story hour events, now common from Idaho to New York. But it’s school libraries that are likely to get an extra level of right-wing scrutiny in the year ahead, thanks to a group born from Moms for Liberty. Courting a child star, former Trump officials, and a tech billionaire as their North Star and potential influencers, Moms for Libraries is hoping to entrench itself this year in libraries across the country.”

Grant describes Moms for Libraries, launched in 2022, as “part of that much larger and better-known national group Moms for Liberty, whose financial backers are largely unknown and which is organizing conservative women to influence and/or take over school boards.”............

This has to be a parody account, right? Worse than the stupid gas range kerfuffle, lol.

Republicans have chosen a ubiquitous kitchen appliance as their freshest source of fury in the culture war – the humble gas stove.

“I’ll NEVER give up my gas stove. If the maniacs in the White House come for my stove, they can pry it from my cold dead hands. COME AND TAKE IT!!” a possibly joking Ronny Jackson, the former presidential physician, now a GOP congressman from Texas, thundered on Twitter on Tuesday.

Conservative podcaster and columnist Matt Walsh sang an almost identical tune, employing similar language gun rights activists use about firearms: “You will have to pry my gas stove from my cold dead hands”.

The outrage kicked off after the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) announced that it’s considering taking action on gas stoves over fears they cause indoor pollution linked to asthma in children.

Agency commissioner Richard Trumka Jr told Bloomberg that gas stoves are a “hidden hazard”.

“Any option is on the table. Products that can’t be made safe can be banned,” he said.

After the controversy erupted, CSPC chair Alexander Hoehn-Saric took to Twitter to push back on the media reports on Wednesday.

“I want to set the record straight. Contrary to recent media reports, I am not looking to ban gas stoves and the @USCPSC has no proceeding to do so,” he tweeted..........

Basically if the democrats want to keep something they just have to leak a report about something possible being banned and then the republicans will do anything to keep it.

Joke aside.. How ignorant can it be to ignore obvious safety issues with gas stoves. That is far from news and many other contries have banned those years ago.

Basically if the democrats want to keep something they just have to leak a report about something possible being banned and then the republicans will do anything to keep it.

Joke aside.. How ignorant can it be to ignore obvious safety issues with gas stoves. That is far from news and many other contries have banned those years ago.
    Yeah, but…’Murica and Freedumb.

While I agree this is a stupid move on the Democrat/Environmentalist part, that's mainly because gas stoves are a miniscule, tiny, virtually irrelevant contributor to global warming. It makes me sick that the top 100 corporations continue to pollute at will while we fight over gas cooktops FFS.

Also, gas is by far the superior method. I've used electric coil, induction and gas and a live flame is so very much better it's not even funny.
    Coils are horribly inefficient, they cycle on and off but do have the advantage of radiant heat.
    Induction cooktops all seem to suffer from the same stupid design problems, IE: touch controls that turn the whole thing off at the first sign of moisture and have all the precision of a blunderbuss. Also, induction only heats the very bottom of a pan, nothing up the side except what eventually gets conducted there by the metal itself. Except for the Thermidor model, when I say 'the bottom of the pan', what I really mean is 'a small circle in the center of the bottom of the pan'. They generate heat like magic. They distribute heat like sh**.
    A gas furnace makes sense if you live in a place where power outages (especially due to heavy snow) are a common thing. Your generator only has to work the fan with gas while with a heat pump or electric furnace, you need way more power than your genny will deliver.

Hassling Joe Citizen over his stove while Berkshire Hathaway and Exxon dump megatons of Co2 is the height of stupidity. Sadly typical of the Democratic Party.

Taurus, I’m really glad to read your opinion. We are looking at replacing our slide-in stove this year, and I hadn’t heard about the issues with gas. We already have a gas furnace, and they put in the hookup to convert our stove to gas at that time, so it’s ready.

We currently have an old, old electric stove, a Jenn-Air that was here when we bought the house 25 years ago. I was planning to put in a gas stove until this blew up, and the articles gave me pause.

Do you have a recommendation for us in a gas stove? It’s a standard size (30”?) in an island, and the only caveat is that the current stove‘s vent is in the cooktop, so we would need to keep that feature. (No overhead hood)

Taurus, I’m really glad to read your opinion. We are looking at replacing our slide-in stove this year, and I hadn’t heard about the issues with gas. We already have a gas furnace, and they put in the hookup to convert our stove to gas at that time, so it’s ready.

We currently have an old, old electric stove, a Jenn-Air that was here when we bought the house 25 years ago. I was planning to put in a gas stove until this blew up, and the articles gave me pause.

Do you have a recommendation for us in a gas stove? It’s a standard size (30”?) in an island, and the only caveat is that the current stove‘s vent is in the cooktop, so we would need to keep that feature. (No overhead hood)
    Is money an object?

Considering my main issue with induction is the controls, this one looks good.

My Samsung cooktop performs extremely well save for the controls and that annoying thing where it heats the very center so fast it ends up warping my pans. It'll boil water in a heartbeat and can sear a steak like a mofo.

Last edited:
    Thanks, Taurus. Money is definitely an issue, lol. Not trying to break the bank. But those stoves are really nice!

Thanks, Taurus. Money is definitely an issue, lol. Not trying to break the bank. But those stoves are really nice!
    It's my dream to someday go up to a contractor and say "Build me a kitchen worthy of Ilve." (Or LaCornue)

More on stoves
    ============

Gas stoves are a hot topic. A new study linked them to one in eight childhood asthma cases, the US Consumer Product Safety Commission said it would look into banning them, and Republicans expressed anger at the mere suggestion.

At the same time, federal and state policies are aiming to give gas stoves’ main competition – regular electric stoves and the ballyhooed induction stove – a boost.

What does this all mean for you? We’ll break it down in this explainer.

Are gas stoves a source of indoor air pollution?

Without a doubt, yes. There are two ways gas stoves pollute your home. The first is the most obvious: when they’re in use. Burning gas creates heat, which causes nitrogen and oxygen to bond among the flames. They combine to create nitric oxide and nitrogen dioxide, collectively known as NOx, which can irritate the lungs. But that’s not the only compound to worry about. Cooking with gas can also emit carbon monoxide, particulate matter and even formaldehyde. Those all have various deleterious health impacts, and can affect the respiratory and cardiovascular systems.

There’s likely a more insidious form of pollution emanating from your stove. A growing body of research shows gas stoves emit toxic compounds even when not in use. Among the most worrisome is benzene, a carcinogen. A study by PSE Health Energy found benzene in 99% of samples it took in homes in California. Other chemicals discovered included xylene, toluene and ethylbenzene, which can also cause respiratory issues and may cause cancer as well.

Talor Gruenwald, the lead author on the new asthma study and researcher at Rewiring America, said the finding “demonstrates that this is a real public health challenge that we have to address”.

Just how much pollution are we talking about here?

A lot. The PSE Health Energy study found that gas stoves can emit as much benzene as a cigarette, making them akin to secondhand smoke.

“You can achieve the same level of benzene just from having a stove that’s off in your house as you’d expect to see as having a house with a smoker in it,” said Seth Shonkoff, the executive director of PSE Energy Health and associate researcher at the University of California, Berkeley.

That’s, of course, just when the stove is off. Research published last year found that NOx emissions when a stove is in use can exceed federal safety standards for outdoor air quality in a matter of minutes. For that reason, Shonkoff referred to stoves as “stationary air pollution machines inside people’s houses”, albeit ones that aren’t subject to the same outdoor air pollution standards.

Gruenwald also compared stoves to having a smoker around, saying: “The stove is frankly going to be the main source of pollution if you don’t live in a home with a smoker.”

Gas stoves are also terrible for the climate. The methane emissions from gas stoves in the US are equal to adding 500,000 cars to the road each year………

Remember reading about someone in NV shooting into Democratic elected officials homes? In at least one case bullets went into someone’s daughter‘s room while she was asleep in her bed. Nobody was hurt or killed by sheer luck. Well, it was a defeated R state candidate, a MAGA election-denier.

Remember reading about someone in NV shooting into Democratic elected officials homes? In at least one case bullets went into someone’s daughter‘s room while she was asleep in her bed. Nobody was hurt or killed by sheer luck. Well, it was a defeated R state candidate, a MAGA election-denier.

Where’s our board terrorist sympathizers at? We’ve got another one of your boys.

Where’s our board terrorist sympathizers at? We’ve got another one of your boys.
    Or the people who say stochastic terrorism isn’t a thing. When we see evidence of it almost daily.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom