What happens to the Republican Party now? (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

MT15

Reaction score
    This election nonsense by Trump may end up splitting up the Republican Party. I just don’t see how the one third (?) who are principled conservatives can stay in the same party with Trump sycophants who are willing to sign onto the TX Supreme Court case.

We also saw the alt right types chanting “destroy the GOP” in Washington today because they didn’t keep Trump in power. I think the Q types will also hold the same ill will toward the traditional Republican Party. In fact its quite possible that all the voters who are really in a Trump personality cult will also blame the GOP for his loss. It’s only a matter of time IMO before Trump himself gets around to blaming the GOP.

There is some discussion of this on Twitter. What do you all think?

I really wish politicians would stop saying that they are 'heaven sent', 'hand picked by God' 'annointed' 'chosen by Jesus', etc.

"this is what God wants" and "won't someone think of the children?!" 2 reliable and effective motivators

Ron DeSantis has been slammed by a former chair of the Republican Party for the “blasphemy” in one of his campaign ads.

The advert claims the Florida governor is a “fighter” created by God “on the eighth day”.

As images of Mr DeSantis appear onscreen, the ad’s narrator states: “And on the eighth day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, I need a protector. So God made him a fighter.”

Mr DeSantis has made increasingly overt appeals to Christian nationalist voters during his midterm re-election campaign, which is widely seen as a stepping stone to a presidential run in 2024.

Former RNC chair Michael Steele appeared on The Sunday Show on MSNBC, saying that the advert was “some of the most a**-backwards blasphemy I’ve ever heard in my life”……..

Ron DeSantis has been slammed by a former chair of the Republican Party for the “blasphemy” in one of his campaign ads.

The advert claims the Florida governor is a “fighter” created by God “on the eighth day”.

As images of Mr DeSantis appear onscreen, the ad’s narrator states: “And on the eighth day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, I need a protector. So God made him a fighter.”

Mr DeSantis has made increasingly overt appeals to Christian nationalist voters during his midterm re-election campaign, which is widely seen as a stepping stone to a presidential run in 2024.

Former RNC chair Michael Steele appeared on The Sunday Show on MSNBC, saying that the advert was “some of the most a**-backwards blasphemy I’ve ever heard in my life”……..

That means nothing to Republican voters! They don't even acknowledge that Michael Steele is a Republican.

jesus
    ==============
    A southwest Ohio man shot and killed his neighbor because he believed he was a Democrat, according to the victim's family.

Austin Gene Gibbs was taken into custody by Butler County sheriff's deputies just before noon Monday after the shooting was reported in Okeana, and investigators found Anthony Lee King dead from multiple gunshot wounds, reported the Journal-News.

“My neighbor just shot my dad,” the victim's son told dispatchers. "[He] has come over multiple times making statements. He’s insane.”

The caller's mother sobbed in the background and told dispatchers the 43-year-old King had been cutting grass and doing yardwork when she inside to let their dog out, and that's when she heard gunshots.

“I look in the backyard and that man is walking away from my husband and my husband is on the ground,” the woman told dispatchers. “He has come over like four times confronting my husband because he thought he was a Democrat, Why, why … Please, I don’t understand.”.........

Good piece from David Frum in the Atlantic - Trump is a loser and now is the time for the GOP to end his control, but will they have the nerve?

Republicans paid a heavy price for extremism, for obnoxious personal behavior, for election denial, for democracy subversion. They will continue to pay it unless one of them acts. That means recovering some strength of character. It means taking the fight to Trump, and beating him on his own ground.

Trump converted Republican politics into a theater of domination. Ideology, policy, character—none of that mattered anymore. Trump’s internal opponents would denounce him as “not a true conservative” only to discover that Republicans did not care. They cared about strength, and they recognized that Trump’s internal opponents were weak. Hollowed out by years of truckling to Republican donors, they had only a big void where their backbone was supposed to be.

Good piece from David Frum in the Atlantic - Trump is a loser and now is the time for the GOP to end his control, but will they have the nerve?

They've had opportunities before and cravenly refused. Republicans worship the appearance of strength, so DeSantis will have to make Trump look weak.
    Which, I suppose is possible. If the governor of your state wanted to personally make your life suck, how easy would it be for him to do?

There appears to have been less issues than I was worried about
    ==========================================
    A man in Wisconsin, armed with a knife, threatened the staff at a polling location and demanded they "stop the voting" on Tuesday, police said.

According to the West Bend Police Department, a 38-year-old man entered the West Bend Community Memorial Library around 12:30 p.m. and demanded they stop the voting. Police responded and arrested him shortly after.

No one was injured, authorities said, but voting was paused for about 30 minutes while police secured the scene. The incident is under investigation and charges are pending.

Voter intimidation has been reported in other parts of the country as well.

The Arizona Secretary of State's office has sent 18 referrals of voter intimidation to police, a spokesperson told BuzzFeed News. On Oct. 24, the Arizona Secretary of State's Office said in a news release that it had reported six potential voter intimidation cases and one reporter of election worker harassment to law enforcement.

“Voter intimidation is illegal, and no voter should feel threatened or intimidated when trying to vote," Katie Hobbs, Arizona's Secretary of State, said in a news release.

"Anyone attempting to interfere with that right should be reported. Voter harassment may include gathering around ballot drop boxes questioning voters, brandishing weapons, taking pictures of people voting and following or chasing voters who are attempting to drop off their ballots, and it can all be considered voter intimidation. It is unacceptable."...........

They've had opportunities before and cravenly refused. Republicans worship the appearance of strength, so DeSantis will have to make Trump look weak.
    Which, I suppose is possible. If the governor of your state wanted to personally make your life suck, how easy would it be for him to do?

I think the midterms are certainly making Trump look weak. And it seems that finally his beating the drum of his personal grievances will seem unappealing. Despite his obvious character flaws at least in 2016 he was able to offer a view on leadership and governance - drain the swamp, anti-Clinton, etc. He was soundly beaten in 2020 and the midterms seem to show that Americans aren’t as disgusted with the way things are enough to go run back to Trump. It’s already obvious that the GOP performed strongest in races that didn’t involve Trump candidates or even those who are somewhat distinct from Trump (or even Trump ‘enemies’). What appeal does Trump even have now?

I think these things will be obvious to the party leadership - it’s only whether they say it out loud or not. Seems to me that it would take a wildly successful campaign on his part to overcome this weakness . . . or just continued compete lack of spine from the rest of the party. But the voters are showing them that Trump is not a source of power despite his rhetorical style and bully tactics - he’s actually a source of weakness. At some point they have to demand change and take the heat.

I think the midterms are certainly making Trump look weak. And it seems that finally his beating the drum of his personal grievances will seem unappealing. Despite his obvious character flaws at least in 2016 he was able to offer a view on leadership and governance - drain the swamp, anti-Clinton, etc. He was soundly beaten in 2020 and the midterms seem to show that Americans aren’t as disgusted with the way things are enough to go run back to Trump. It’s already obvious that the GOP performed strongest in races that didn’t involve Trump candidates or even those who are somewhat distinct from Trump (or even Trump ‘enemies’). What appeal does Trump even have now?

I think these things will be obvious to the party leadership - it’s only whether they say it out loud or not. Seems to me that it would take a wildly successful campaign on his part to overcome this weakness . . . or just continued compete lack of spine from the rest of the party. But the voters are showing them that Trump is not a source of power despite his rhetorical style and bully tactics - he’s actually a source of weakness. At some point they have to demand change and take the heat.

Yup, and I’m really happy to see this happen. My hope is that Trump goes full on Trump and totally fractures what passes for the Republican Party these days….that would be glorious and well deserved….DeSantis is a danger to democracy, but with a fractured party? Wouldn’t get to the WH….

After Scalise's announcement today, this is all I can see as the battle begins for SOTH:
    1668035562876.jpeg

Republicans are going to be going hard after TikTok after this election with the fear mongering. They really don't like how it's used by Democrats to activate the youth vote.

I don't use TikTok and have my some concerns on how it could be manipulated by the CCCP, but make no mistake that this is all about this last election or Republicans. It's no coincidence that Rubio put out this opinion piece today.

===========
    And thanks to the rising number of adults who get their news from TikTok, the platform has the ability to influence which issues Americans learn about, what information they consider accurate, and what conclusions they draw from world events. This places extraordinary power in the hands of company employees who could any day be overruled by the CCP.

TikTok is a major threat to U.S. national security. Yet Biden is encouraging greater engagement with the platform by directly courting TikTok influencers. Furthermore, reports suggest that he is nearing a deal that would authorize TikTok’s continued operation in the United States without any change in ownership.

============

Last edited:
    Republicans are going to be going hard after TikTok after this election with the fear mongering. They really don't like how it's used by Democrats to activate the youth vote.

I don't use TikTok and have my some concerns on how it could be manipulated by the CCP, but make no mistake that this is all about this last election or Republicans. It's no coincidence that Rubio put out this opinion piece today.

===========
    And thanks to the rising number of adults who get their news from TikTok, the platform has the ability to influence which issues Americans learn about, what information they consider accurate, and what conclusions they draw from world events. This places extraordinary power in the hands of company employees who could any day be overruled by the CCP.

TikTok is a major threat to U.S. national security. Yet Biden is encouraging greater engagement with the platform by directly courting TikTok influencers. Furthermore, reports suggest that he is nearing a deal that would authorize TikTok’s continued operation in the United States without any change in ownership.

============

For the record, i support banning tictoc. Even if the Republicans decide to push it because it benefits them.

I don't use TikTok and have my some concerns on how it could be manipulated by the CCP, but make no mistake that this is all about this last election or Republicans. It's no coincidence that Rubio put out this opinion piece today.

===========

============

This Tik Tok topic might be worthy of a separate thread.
    I am not qualified on that topic but if someone was the OP of such a thread I would gladly read it whenever I had a chance.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom