Trump's Tweets (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

wardorican

Reaction score
    There are always examples of Trump's twitter rants, and other off putting commentary, but sometimes, a few rise above the rest of just awful, dumb, or mean things to say on a public forum.

Some love him for that. Others don't.

But, Hunter Biden isn't a political figure, right? So, is this fair game or is this grounds for Libel?

Then you have this gem from Oct 2nd. Sorry Andrus, about the profanity, but it's presidential profanity.

Full disclosure: I think Twitter and Facebook are two of the worst technological developments of our lifetime and a complete waste of bandwidth. I also think that any self-respecting adult (especially someone with a professional job) who isn't a self-absorbed egomaniac should stay away from them. I don't think it's wise for politicians to use Twitter to communicate their thoughts or policies to their constituents; I wish they would simply stay off that medium. Daily I see how social media has eroded people's ability to communicate effectively face to face and done away with common-sense filters. Having said that and to answer your original question, anyone can sue for libel but I think Hunter would have a difficult time winning and collecting on that lawsuit. I also don't think he would want to keep the Ukraine and China issues in the spotlight while his father seeks his party's nomination for President.

Last edited:
    What is the point of the thread? Is it to set up a conversation on how Twitter should be used by those in political office? I think a valuable conversation to have.

If this is just a hit piece on Trump, I’m not interested in the conversation.

What is the point of the thread? Is it to set up a conversation on how Twitter should be used by those in political office? I think a valuable conversation to have.

If this is just a hit piece on Trump, I’m not interested in the conversation.
    The conversation is what we make of it.

I was just taken aback at this attack. Is Hunter Biden a public figure? Or just a public figure's son? I don't think it would be fair for AOC to go after Trump's youngest son. The others at least work for the campaign or White House. It just felt like another example of him really taking it too far.

I think normalizing this kind of use of social media (mini press releases) is bad. We shouldn't want our political figures relentlessly attacking everyone, with little to no thought about the words they use. There is no caution in these tweets. Too many things hinge on a president and other political figures having stability and clear direction.

I had an econ professor who would joke that every time Alan Greenspan went to the bathroom, the markets moved. Markets are always trying to get ahead of the micro and macro factors.

Imagine if members of the Fed, let alone the chair tweeted all kinds of random, angry stuff.

So, what kind of conversation do you want on this? My main question was basically, is this too far? Secondarily, is this what we want?

This is all purely my own reaction to reading those tweets.

That’s cool. I was hoping this didn’t turn into a trump tracker.

I 100% understand your point an mostly agree with it, especially the point about markets.

The pandora box has been opened. Just like many issues that have become acceptable in society, this is one of them. There is no going back.

I don’t necessarily blame trump. He is being attacked in every direction. He is using the platform given to him to play the game. I like that he goes on the offensive. The bush years were an example of a president being abused by the press and basically did nothing to combat the offensive.
    Trump is taking the fight to them (being everyone who opposes him).

An offensive position is one of intimidation and power. That hasn’t changed in the history of mankind. The only thing that has changed is the avenue in which it is being carried out.

I’m sure local governments will eventually try and pass laws limiting the scope of what can and can’t be put on social media.

That’s cool. I was hoping this didn’t turn into a trump tracker.

I 100% understand your point an mostly agree with it, especially the point about markets.

The pandora box has been opened. Just like many issues that have become acceptable in society, this is one of them. There is no going back.

I don’t necessarily blame trump. He is being attacked in every direction. He is using the platform given to him to play the game. I like that he goes on the offensive. The bush years were an example of a president being abused by the press and basically did nothing to combat the offensive.
    Trump is taking the fight to them (being everyone who opposes him).

An offensive position is one of intimidation and power. That hasn’t changed in the history of mankind. The only thing that has changed is the avenue in which it is being carried out.

I’m sure local governments will eventually try and pass laws limiting the scope of what can and can’t be put on social media.

Telling lies to attack your enemies is not something that should be respected. The president deserves blame for every word he has ever said or typed. I would not rationalize this type of behavior from my child, it's embarrassing when adults attempt to rationalize it from the POTUS.

The president being a child on twitter has become acceptable because people accept it. It is not acceptable to me.

I hope this thread becomes the daily Trump tracker because this president's failure to be an adult should be documented in as many places as possible.

Telling lies to attack your enemies is not something that should be respected. The president deserves blame for every word he has ever said or typed. I would not rationalize this type of behavior from my child, it's embarrassing when adults attempt to rationalize it from the POTUS.

The president being a child on twitter has become acceptable because people accept it. It is not acceptable to me.

I hope this thread becomes the daily Trump tracker because this president's failure to be an adult should be documented in as many places as possible.

The entire Twitterverse is trash. Why is it that he can be attacked, yet he can’t attack?

There is a massive gap between "sit back and take it" and "go on the offensive to bully and harrass".
    Have you seen the hate and vitriol sent his way? Why is it that everyone else in the world can manage their social media campaigns the way they want, within the limits of the law, and Donald Trump can’t.
    Should we come up with a list of people who are not allowed to be offensive and defend themselves on social media?
    We can’t compare this to any other time in history. I wonder if the same things were said as the first debates were in radio.

Yes, if his only response is childish nonsense or lies, then yes he should just shut up and administer the government.

The president is supposed to be better than us, it seems like we've forgotten that.
    I’ve never thought of any man or woman being better than us. A president isn’t better than the people. I may be missing the point.

So the criticism of him is that he is using social media just like everyone else in the world?

Have you seen the hate and vitriol sent his way? Why is it that everyone else in the world can manage their social media campaigns the way they want, within the limits of the law, and Donald Trump can’t.
    Should we come up with a list of people who are not allowed to be offensive and defend themselves on social media?
    We can’t compare this to any other time in history. I wonder if the same things were said as the first debates were in radio.
    Oh, puhlease!!! Do I really need to pull up this guy's tweets from 2014 on back? He has been and always will be the leader of unprovoked trash tweets, but when he gets trash thrown back in his face, he cries about being treated unfairly.

We were repeatedly told that he knew how to be "presidential" by all of his handlers and if trump were elected, he would prove it. From his inauguration speech and up to now, he has continually lowered the bar for socially accepted behavior and much more for presidential behavior.

I went ahead and bolded the middle ground option. Lying somewhere between "sit back and take it" and "go on the offensive to bully and harrass" lies "defend oneself." In this case, I would expect that defense to be conducted with the class and decorum befitting the office of POTUS.

I went ahead and bolded the middle ground option. Lying somewhere between "sit back and take it" and "go on the offensive to bully and harrass" lies "defend oneself." In this case, I would expect that defense to be conducted with the class and decorum befitting the office of POTUS.
    Should the president be given the same decorum?

Barack Obama was hit with racist hate and vitriol, yet he handled it with more dignity than Trump. I am not saying that Trump can't manage his social media in the manner that he chooses. I am simply saying that if he wants to behave like this on social media, people should expect him to be called out for it. He is a bully. He mocks people for their looks. He mocks people for their disabilities. This is all verifiable. Anyone defending Trump is defending these incidents.

Should the president be given the same decorum?
    No, in his case, he needs to earn it!!! His past behavior in his private life and his behavior during the campaign earned him no bonus points. He was already a man of questionable morals and he choose to run campaign of fear and lies, so if he wants to be treated with respect, he needs to earn it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom