Trump's Tweets (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

wardorican

Reaction score
    There are always examples of Trump's twitter rants, and other off putting commentary, but sometimes, a few rise above the rest of just awful, dumb, or mean things to say on a public forum.

Some love him for that. Others don't.

But, Hunter Biden isn't a political figure, right? So, is this fair game or is this grounds for Libel?

Then you have this gem from Oct 2nd. Sorry Andrus, about the profanity, but it's presidential profanity.

I’m not feeling sorry for him. I’m just saying I understand his strategy.
    We all understand the strategy. It's the strategy of someone who is highly insecure and immature. That's why it's problematic. The president should not be acting out like an immature child which is exactly how he acts out.

Bush and Obama were also the targets of a lot of hate and vitriol from mainstream news outlets and social media. Both of them reacted to it like mature adults.

We also understand why children throw temper tantrums, but our understanding of it doesn't mean we admire it, approve of it, accept it, encourage it, enable it, excuse it, or tolerate it. We especially don't emulate it.

Last edited:
    Not refuting most of what you are saying. I am saying in the current climate (the last 5 years) social media has changed the landscape of everything we do. Trump chose a certain path, just like thousands of others.

Now he is president of the USA. He isn’t going to change who he is. His strategy is always be on the offensive and attack. And he has been very effective at molding the landscape in his favor. I think it is smart and effective, whether I think the decorum is good or not.

What you admire and call "molding the landscape in his favor" is really SOWING HATE, DIVISION AND DISTRUST among the people he has taken an oath to protect and serve. That is the tool used by (would-be) dictators.

What you admire and call "molding the landscape in his favor" is really SOWING HATE, DIVISION AND DISTRUST among the people he has taken an oath to protect and serve. That is the tool used by (would-be) dictators.
    Welcome to social media. Donald trump didn’t create it, he is using it the same way the media pundits do. Funny the only person in the world that can’t speak his mind ok Twitter is trump.

I’ve asked a couple of times with little response. Who else in the world should be held to the standard in which many of you want trump follow?

You seem to mistakenly assume that those of us who are not okay with Trump's tweets are okay with other's that tweet like him. Speaking for myself, that's not true. I hold Trump to the same standard I hold everyone else on twitter.
    Welcome to social media.
    First of all, Trump personally only uses twitter.

Not all people act the way Trump does on twitter. There are children on twitter who act better than Trump does.
    Donald trump didn’t create it, he is using it the same way the media pundits do.
    Not all pundits act the way Trump does on twitter. Many of them act much better than Trump.
    Funny the only person in the world that can’t speak his mind ok Twitter is trump.
    If the only way Trump "can speak his mind" is the way he acts on twitter, then the country would be best served if he didn't speak his mind on twitter. Everything he says in public, which includes twitter, are part of his official duties as president. He doesn't get to make off the record comments in public and every public he makes in public should be held to a higher standard than anyone else. Nobody made him run for president. By running, this is the responsibility he signed on for. He is not a victim of anyone.
    I’ve asked a couple of times with little response. Who else in the world should be held to the standard in which many of you want trump follow?
    Every adult that wants to be taken seriously, trusted, respected and treated like an adult. The elected leader of any government.[/QUOTE]

You seem to mistakenly assume that those of us who are not okay with Trump's tweets are okay with other's that tweet like him. Speaking for myself, that's not true. I hold Trump to the same standard I hold everyone else on twitter.

First of all, Trump personally only uses twitter.

Not all people act the way Trump does on twitter. There are children on twitter who act better than Trump does.

Not all pundits act the way Trump does on twitter. Many of them act much better than Trump.

If the only way Trump "can speak his mind" is the way he acts on twitter, then the country would be best served if he didn't speak his mind on twitter. Everything he says in public, which includes twitter, are part of his official duties as president. He doesn't get to make off the record comments in public and every public he makes in public should be held to a higher standard than anyone else. Nobody made him run for president. By running, this is the responsibility he signed on for. He is not a victim of anyone.

Every adult that wants to be taken seriously, trusted, respected and treated like an adult. The elected leader of any government.
    [/QUOTE]
    As you know, we don’t live in a vacuum. What you are describing is a utopia that just isn’t reality. And for what it’s worth, I think Twitter/Facebook/ig have negatively impacted the social norms of society. It damn sure isn’t Donald Trumps fault.

As you know, we don’t live in a vacuum. What you are describing is a utopia that just isn’t reality.
    It's because we don't live in a vacuum that we must all be held accountable for our actions toward others.

It's not unrealistic or some utopian ideal to expect adults to act like adults, even on twitter.
    And for what it’s worth, I think Twitter/Facebook/ig have negatively impacted the social norms of society. It damn sure isn’t Donald Trumps fault.
    He's damn sure at fault for how his tweets negatively impact social norms. That's completely on him and it doesn't matter how many other people are contributing. We don't even let children use the cop out of "well everyone else is doing it" to escape responsibility and accountability for their actions.

If everyone else is peeing in the pool, it doesn't mean Trump peeing in the pool doesn't add more pee to the pool. Everyone who pees in the pool is responsible for the pee they've added to the pool, including Trump.

Trump is the president and his tweeting has the most significant negative impact on the social norms of our society. I don't understand how you can call out the negative impact that twitter has on our society while at the same time excusing Trump for his contributions to that very same negative impact. It doesn't make any logical sense.

Last edited:
    What is the point of the thread? Is it to set up a conversation on how Twitter should be used by those in political office? I think a valuable conversation to have.

If this is just a hit piece on Trump, I’m not interested in the conversation.
    Just to clarify:
    James Okeefe lying hit piece = worthy of conversation
    Trump’s actual words = probably not important
    *question mark*

World leaders like Trump are given extra leeway by Twitter:

grants special exemptions to Donald Trump and other “world leaders” from its code of conduct, including from rules that apply to everyone else. But the social network — which is Trump’s go-to megaphone — says nobody is “above our policies entirely.”

Twitter, in explaining that threats of violence against an individual are an absolute no-no, also tried to thread the needle — it added that “context matters” when it applies to violent threats and further said that “direct interactions with fellow public figures and/or commentary on political and foreign policy issues would likely not result in enforcement.” That appears to suggest that Twitter believes that Trump’s tweets targeting the anonymous whistleblower are OK.

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/twitter-donald-trump-account-deleted-policy-1203372720/

Pretty high up on the list of bad things people do in the defense of DJ Trump is portraying him as some sort of victim.

In and of itself that’s pretty appalling.

Pretty high up on the list of bad things people do in the defense of DJ Trump is portraying him as some sort of victim.

In and of itself that’s pretty appalling.
    Who is portraying him as a victim?

I’m not following how this relates to the discussion
    Lazybones clearly gets it so either of you can explain if you’d like
    1. Posters claimed okeefe is an idiot and can’t be trusted.
    2. poster claims everyone knows cnn is a leftist website with an agenda.
    3. okeefe does an undercover operation exposing what everyone knows, because of this he should be trusted if we follow the logic

I’m not following how this relates to the discussion
    Lazybones clearly gets it so either of you can explain if you’d like

So, to stay on track we should not criticize off topic comments made in a whataboutism.

Fair enough, although it's strange to hear that coming from the very guy who went off topic with whataboutism in the first instance.

Even if we are not to believe Okeefe... are we not to believe the content of the videos, or was that not really CNN employees and journalists on those videos? Was it all made up and done in a studio with special effects?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom