Trump's Tweets (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

wardorican

Reaction score
    There are always examples of Trump's twitter rants, and other off putting commentary, but sometimes, a few rise above the rest of just awful, dumb, or mean things to say on a public forum.

Some love him for that. Others don't.

But, Hunter Biden isn't a political figure, right? So, is this fair game or is this grounds for Libel?

Then you have this gem from Oct 2nd. Sorry Andrus, about the profanity, but it's presidential profanity.

I’ve never thought of any man or woman being better than us. A president isn’t better than the people. I may be missing the point.

So the criticism of him is that he is using social media just like everyone else in the world?

Yes, the president should be better than us. Some people are better than other people based on their actions and choices.

The president should not be using social media in the same way as everyone else in the world. If he wants to be the same as Kim Kardashian or Ashton Kutcher, then he is free to resign and tweet to his hearts content.

Yes, the president should be better than us. Some people are better than other people based on their actions and choices.

The president should not be using social media in the same way as everyone else in the world. If he wants to be the same as Kim Kardashian or Ashton Kutcher, then he is free to resign and tweet to his hearts content.
    Ok fair enough. Who else in the world should be held to this standard?

Barack Obama was hit with racist hate and vitriol, yet he handled it with more dignity than Trump. I am not saying that Trump can't manage his social media in the manner that he chooses. I am simply saying that if he wants to behave like this on social media, people should expect him to be called out for it. He is a bully. He mocks people for their looks. He mocks people for their disabilities. This is all verifiable. Anyone defending Trump is defending these incidents.
    You were doing well until the last comment. Therein lies the problem. Because trump chooses to fight fire with fire everything he does and says is all of a sudden my burden because I support him politically? I agree he is a bully, and yes I’m ok with it.

Obama had the media on his side. There is a big difference from being attacked by John jo plumber and the left wing political machine. Obama chose to handle it differently and so did Bush.

If trump never tweeted one word, I have a feeling that many of you would hate him the same and say so on social media.

Ok fair enough. Who else in the world should be held to this standard?

Anyone we decide. It's not a legal standard, it is one of public opinion.

At a minimum, any elected official should be expected to be professional in all of their public statements, which includes all social media. Maybe my standards are higher than yours.

Anyone we decide. It's not a legal standard, it is one of public opinion.

At a minimum, any elected official should be expected to be professional in all of their public statements, which includes all social media. Maybe my standards are higher than yours.
    Just nobody else is being held to that standard. Who is going to be the arbitrator? Obviously he is following the rules of Twitter.

You were doing well until the last comment. Therein lies the problem. Because trump chooses to fight fire with fire everything he does and says is all of a sudden my burden because I support him politically? I agree he is a bully, and yes I’m ok with it.

Obama had the media on his side. There is a big difference from being attacked by John jo plumber and the left wing political machine. Obama chose to handle it differently and so did Bush.

If trump never tweeted one word, I have a feeling that many of you would hate him the same and say so on social media.

This is a thread about the way Trump communicates, especially via social media. I didn't think I had to spell out that I was referring to that topic.

To clarify: Trump bullies, mocks, and ridicules people via public statements. Anyone who defends this behavior is also defending those statements.

This isn't fighting fire with fire. These are unprovoked attacks.

You might be ok with bullying, but that doesn't mean the rest of us have to sit back and let it happen. If someone wants to be a bully like Trump, they should expect to be publicly called out for it in the same way that he is. A big, bright spotlight should be shone on those cockroaches.

A couple of questions....

Before he became President, how did Trump treat other politicians? Did Obama attack him before he went on his birther binge? Or any of his other attacks?

Do you think that Trump's past and current behavior encourage or discourages respectful disagreement?

Is the President supposed to be a leader or a follower? Is he supposed to inspire the best in us or encourage our worst instincts?

Your hypothetical is hard to prove one way or the other. Trump has always been vicious and a bully. Do you think it's unreasonable for people to have a visceral negative reaction to Trump based on his words and actions, which started before he ever ran for president?

The entire Twitterverse is trash. Why is it that he can be attacked, yet he can’t attack?
    It's not all trash.

And.. he was this way for years on Twitter before he even considered running for office. Go back through his timeline and let me know when he was normal on there.

First off, Trump as president doesn't mean he's a better person than anyone, but he should be a better person - a role model, someone to look up to. Be above the garbage behavior of others.

Secondly, let's stop pretending Trump is some aggressive tough guy. He's a keyboard warrior who whines every chance he gets about how the snowflake libs are mean to him.

To more directly respond to the OP - I think it's absurd anyone in political office would publicly attack anyone, much less a private citizen. He and his supporters would be (and have gone) bonkers over a public figure making comments about his kids. I hope for this nonsense to be behind us post-Trump, not normalized.

First off, Trump as president doesn't mean he's a better person than anyone, but he should be a better person - a role model, someone to look up to. Be above the garbage behavior of others.

Secondly, let's stop pretending Trump is some aggressive tough guy. He's a keyboard warrior who whines every chance he gets about how the snowflake libs are mean to him.

To more directly respond to the OP - I think it's absurd anyone in political office would publicly attack anyone, much less a private citizen. He and his supporters would be (and have gone) bonkers over a public figure making comments about his kids. I hope for this nonsense to be behind us post-Trump, not normalized.
    His kid was like 12. A little different.

I agree he is a bully, and yes I’m ok with it.

it's not just about being a "bully" - but even then, the irony of his wife's principal First Lady cause isn't lost on me

It's about using the platform for outright lies and deception, targeted harassment, perpetuating dangerous generalizations and stereotypes, essentializing the Other, inflammatory language that invites violence and badgering, policy announcements that run counter to a more sensible protocol, highlighting things for his own self-interested gain and profit, attacks on the First Amendment, and so on

are you absolutely okay with all of that, too? You're getting lumped in - and maybe you don't think it's fair - because you're grouping his behavior under a single umbrella and explicitly saying you're okay with it. If you don't want to be grouped as approving this behavior, then maybe don't say you're okay with all of it. Maybe engage with some of the absolutely abhorrent, objectional behavior that goes beyond whatever you consider being a 'bully' because it's more than that and more complicated than that

there's a reason he can't block people on twitter and other people can. He is the President and they have established that his Twitter account is an official arm of the political and these objections are the protestations and free speech to the announcement of policy and officially sanctified beliefs of the White House. They are "official statements" and in his capacity of President, I think such an explicit distinctions are relevant when talking about how he handles them and how people respond in turn.

So, be okay with it. But when that's the extent to which you draw the line, I don't know how you can reasonably expect objection to your endorsement when it seems to endorse, condone, excuse it all

Trump has been a bigoted bully his entire life. He picks fights with people, he calls people names that belong on a middle school playground.

Lazybones, don’t use the tired excuse that he only gets mean when attacked. His tweets are inexcusable for anyone who is an adult. If you like them, fine, just own what you admire. A bigoted bully.

The conversation is what we make of it.

I was just taken aback at this attack. Is Hunter Biden a public figure? Or just a public figure's son? I don't think it would be fair for AOC to go after Trump's youngest son. The others at least work for the campaign or White House. It just felt like another example of him really taking it too far.

I think normalizing this kind of use of social media (mini press releases) is bad. We shouldn't want our political figures relentlessly attacking everyone, with little to no thought about the words they use. There is no caution in these tweets. Too many things hinge on a president and other political figures having stability and clear direction.

I had an econ professor who would joke that every time Alan Greenspan went to the bathroom, the markets moved. Markets are always trying to get ahead of the micro and macro factors.

Imagine if members of the Fed, let alone the chair tweeted all kinds of random, angry stuff.

So, what kind of conversation do you want on this? My main question was basically, is this too far? Secondarily, is this what we want?

This is all purely my own reaction to reading those tweets.

Did you hear the clip from Trump’s rally? What he said was worse than the tweets. It was all lies, and ended up with him calling Hunter Biden a loser who doesn’t know anything. The only clip I could find quickly was in a tweet.

As someone on twitter said: I don’t know who needs to hear this, but Hunter Biden isn’t running for political office.

Did you hear the clip from Trump’s rally? What he said was worse than the tweets. It was all lies, and ended up with him calling Hunter Biden a loser who doesn’t know anything. The only clip I could find quickly was in a tweet.

As someone on twitter said: I don’t know who needs to hear this, but Hunter Biden isn’t running for political office.
    No, I can't listen to those things too often.

A couple of questions....

Before he became President, how did Trump treat other politicians? Did Obama attack him before he went on his birther binge? Or any of his other attacks?

Do you think that Trump's past and current behavior encourage or discourages respectful disagreement?

Is the President supposed to be a leader or a follower? Is he supposed to inspire the best in us or encourage our worst instincts?

Your hypothetical is hard to prove one way or the other. Trump has always been vicious and a bully. Do you think it's unreasonable for people to have a visceral negative reaction to Trump based on his words and actions, which started before he ever ran for president?
    Not refuting most of what you are saying. I am saying in the current climate (the last 5 years) social media has changed the landscape of everything we do. Trump chose a certain path, just like thousands of others.

Now he is president of the USA. He isn’t going to change who he is. His strategy is always be on the offensive and attack. And he has been very effective at molding the landscape in his favor. I think it is smart and effective, whether I think the decorum is good or not.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom