Trump loyalists in Congress to challenge Electoral College results in Jan. 6 joint session (Update: Insurrectionists storm Congress)(And now what?) (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    I guess it's time to start a thread for this. We know that at least 140 members of Congress have pledged to join the objection. Under federal law, if at least one member of each house (HOR and Senate) objects, each house will adjourn the joint session for their own session (limited at two hours) to take up the objection. If both houses pass a resolution objecting to the EC result, further action can take place. If both houses do not (i.e. if one or neither passes a resolution), the objection is powerless and the college result is certified.

Clearly this is political theater as we know such a resolution will not pass the House, and there's good reason to think it wouldn't pass the Senate either (with or without the two senators from Georgia). The January 6 joint session is traditionally a ceremonial one. This one will not be.

Many traditional pillars of Republican support have condemned the plan as futile and damaging. Certainly the Trump loyalists don't care - and many are likely doing it for fundraising purposes or to carry weight with the fraction of their constituencies that think this is a good idea.

Police will be much better prepared this time
    ========================

WASHINGTON (AP) — Far right extremist groups like the Proud Boys and Oath Keepers are planning to attend a rally later this month at the U.S. Capitol that is designed to demand “justice” for the hundreds of people who have been charged in connection with January’s insurrection, according to three people familiar with intelligence gathered by federal officials.

As a result, U.S. Capitol Police have been discussing in recent weeks whether the large perimeter fence that was erected outside the Capitol after January’s riot will need to be put back up, the people said.

The officials have been discussing security plans that involve reconstructing the fence as well as another plan that does not involve a fence, the people said. They were not authorized to speak publicly and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

The planned Sept. 18 rally at the Capitol comes as a jittery Washington has seen a series of troubling one-off incidents — including, most recently, a man who parked a pickup truck near the Library of Congress and said he had a bomb and detonator.

Among the most concerning events: A series of unexploded pipe bombs placed around the U.S. Capitol ahead of the Jan. 6 insurrection remain unexplained and no suspect has been charged……….

So, didn't know where to put this and not worth starting a new thread.

It's kind of weird even for Trump.. not only is he calling a boxing match on an alternative feed, he's calling a boxing match that no one gives a shirt about seeing in the first place. Sure a few Trump die hards will buy it now, but not many. Just strange.

Rumor is he is cash strapped. Cannot afford to get his plane fixed, having a hard time finding anyone to loan him money. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I thought his PAC slush fund was full of money? Surely he's figured out how to grift off of that.
    This is basically why, even if he doesn't actually plan to do so, he will still be 'running' for President in 2024 up until the day of qualification. It's his new grift and people are willing to give money hand over fist to channel their rage and own the libs.

Should we change the name of this thread by changing 'insurrection' to 'riot' to be more accurate?

Should we change the name of this thread by changing 'insurrection' to 'riot' to be more accurate?
    But it wouldn’t be more accurate would it? Hey, I know, it was an insurrection by some far right nut jobs under the cover of a riot of plain old people who were deluded into thinking that Trump actually won. See? It can be both!!!

And everybody’s happy.

But it wouldn’t be more accurate would it? Hey, I know, it was an insurrection by some far right nut jobs under the cover of a riot of plain old people who were deluded into thinking that Trump actually won. See? It can be both!!!

And everybody’s happy.
    And some people that actually have a grievance with their government. Add that, and I will be in total agreement.

What grievance did the people attending the Stop the Steal rally have, I’m curious. The grievance that I think of centers on a “stolen election” and is a fabrication. So I’m not sure what you are referencing.

What grievance did the people attending the Stop the Steal rally have, I’m curious. The grievance that I think of centers on a “stolen election” and is a fabrication. So I’m not sure what you are referencing.
    It's more like they had a grievance against who actually won the 2020 Presidential election and they were pissed that "Agent Orange" didnt win. Of course, their actions, and disgusting, vile and seditious behavior was also the collective result of deliberate misinformation, lies, and pumped-up propoganda echo chamber that Trump, and far-right news outlets, commentators, and online media sources were feeding them, which is all part of the same delusion we've been trying to dissect in some form or another for almost 6 years now and how it influenced the Jan. 6 insurrection specifically since almost automatically after it ended.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom