Trump loyalists in Congress to challenge Electoral College results in Jan. 6 joint session (Update: Insurrectionists storm Congress)(And now what?) (4 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
Reaction score
I guess it's time to start a thread for this. We know that at least 140 members of Congress have pledged to join the objection. Under federal law, if at least one member of each house (HOR and Senate) objects, each house will adjourn the joint session for their own session (limited at two hours) to take up the objection. If both houses pass a resolution objecting to the EC result, further action can take place. If both houses do not (i.e. if one or neither passes a resolution), the objection is powerless and the college result is certified.

Clearly this is political theater as we know such a resolution will not pass the House, and there's good reason to think it wouldn't pass the Senate either (with or without the two senators from Georgia). The January 6 joint session is traditionally a ceremonial one. This one will not be.

Many traditional pillars of Republican support have condemned the plan as futile and damaging. Certainly the Trump loyalists don't care - and many are likely doing it for fundraising purposes or to carry weight with the fraction of their constituencies that think this is a good idea.

As a neutral take, I am sort of concerned that the machines apparently missed a couple of hundred votes which -- these days -- could actually determine an election. Not sure how you get around stuff like that absent hand-counting everything which is extremely impractical.

If an election is that close I think it triggers a hand recount in most places. Didn't they already do one in Arizona before this? I'm not prepared to take CyberNinja's word for anything. They really didn't have the skillset to do this recount.

As a neutral take, I am sort of concerned that the machines apparently missed a couple of hundred votes which -- these days -- could actually determine an election. Not sure how you get around stuff like that absent hand-counting everything which is extremely impractical.

I would not trust Cyber Ninjas numbers for a comparison. The official county numbers are undoubtedly correct.

I think that's why it's important to look at it in the context of the total margin where it counts. There's always going to be a margin of error despite our best efforts. That's why we have procedures or recounts and other verification. But it is dishonest and damaging when the very top of the leadership chain uses that very small margin of error to call results into question when the overall margin is thousands of times greater than that margin of error.

There’s no doubt in my mind that the Cyberninja count is off. They had no idea what they were doing. I read they put ballots on lazy Susans and the volunteers had to read them as they moved by. Lol.

Seriously though, this type of thing is very damaging to confidence in our elections. That’s the real purpose, IMO, sowing doubt. Mission accomplished there sadly.

Womp womp, lol...

FADfze-ZX0-AA541-G.jpg

Interesting going back and reading this thread from the beginning, especially when the breach first happened (post 131)

We were so certain that Trump would be removed immediately, either through the 25th amendment or Senate impeachment

We thought there would be repercussions for Hawley, Cruz etc.

We thought there would be sedition charges and the longest prison sentences the law allowed for those who entered the Capitol

We thought there would be incitement charges

We thought there would be consequences or at least backlash against those that supported and endorsed the Big Lie

After years of asking 'is this the tipping point?' this time we were certain THIS is the tipping point against Trump and Trumpism

More fools us
Also interesting to note that ALL of our conservative posters completely disappeared as Jan 6th was unfolding and the days afterwards

Also interesting to note that ALL of our conservative posters completely disappeared as Jan 6th was unfolding and the days afterwards
They knew what they were forking witnessing at that moment. They knew it was bad. They may not all have fully grasped the fact that they were witnessing the grand finale in a literal attempt at overthrowing the government, but that's now a fairly obvious fact of the situation to anyone who's attempting to be remotely objective at looking at what went down through January 6th.

But in the time since many have decided they'll just revise the story of it to be whatever makes them feel more comfortable with what went down and why their (continued) support of Trump is justifiable.

It's proof of what I believe I've most learned from this and that's that when push really came to shove, the people who we've heard most loudly proclaim to be patriots and love this country and its democracy were actually the first ones to decide they were alright with destroying it all. That they're actually the first ones to take the additional step and treat American democracy as they do in the Middle East where power and might reign supreme over any sense of loyalty to democratic principles.

They deny and downplay, of course, and hold on to comparisons to BLM and summer rioting as that's the key thing I think that makes them feel OK about it all: their idea that what they tried to do was justified and ultimately not THAT bad because, at worst, it's still not really any worse than what's been done and attempted by the left/Democrats.

Ultimately, the two things that define Trumpism more than anything for me are its authoritarian tendencies/anti-democratic notions and its accelerant abilities in a continued race to a political bottom.

If an election is that close I think it triggers a hand recount in most places. Didn't they already do one in Arizona before this? I'm not prepared to take CyberNinja's word for anything. They really didn't have the skillset to do this recount.
They did at least one recount, I’m sure…but more importantly, they had a forensic audit performed on their voting equipment. It was done by two certified companies with years of experience in auditing elections.

They determined:
—The software in the machines was correct and had not been tampered with.
—No votes were switched.
—The counting mechanisms were performing correctly.
—The machines had not been connected to the internet.

They did at least one recount, I’m sure…but more importantly, they had a forensic audit performed on their voting equipment. It was done by two certified companies with years of experience in auditing elections.

They determined:
—The software in the machines was correct and had not been tampered with.
—No votes were switched.
—The counting mechanisms were performing correctly.
—The machines had not been connected to the internet.

Also that the machines themselves had not been tampered with and no additional hardware had been added.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
Top Bottom