Trump loyalists in Congress to challenge Electoral College results in Jan. 6 joint session (Update: Insurrectionists storm Congress)(And now what?) (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    I guess it's time to start a thread for this. We know that at least 140 members of Congress have pledged to join the objection. Under federal law, if at least one member of each house (HOR and Senate) objects, each house will adjourn the joint session for their own session (limited at two hours) to take up the objection. If both houses pass a resolution objecting to the EC result, further action can take place. If both houses do not (i.e. if one or neither passes a resolution), the objection is powerless and the college result is certified.

Clearly this is political theater as we know such a resolution will not pass the House, and there's good reason to think it wouldn't pass the Senate either (with or without the two senators from Georgia). The January 6 joint session is traditionally a ceremonial one. This one will not be.

Many traditional pillars of Republican support have condemned the plan as futile and damaging. Certainly the Trump loyalists don't care - and many are likely doing it for fundraising purposes or to carry weight with the fraction of their constituencies that think this is a good idea.

Absolutely an insurrection. This is disturbing:

I'm pretty sure I read something very similar to this. There was a flyer circulated at the Republican National Convention (or maybe some other Republican conference, maybe CPAC, drawing a blank there) that had really similar wording. That was long before the insurrection happened iirc.

What this indicates is some fairly serious pre-planning for Jan 6. People pointed out that the timing of Trump’s talk was deliberate and that some R politicians were fairly desperate to delay the counting of the votes so that more pressure could be brought to bear on the state governments to actually some how mess with their slate of electors.

The office which would have had the actual electoral votes was ransacked, even though it’s a fairly obscure office. Thank goodness the electoral votes were removed by aides. How did the mob just happen to find that office and seem to pay particular attention to it? Were they directed to that location? Remember the phone calls made to R legislators during the bedlam saying “just delay the vote?” I think Rudy made some of those calls.

This is deeply disturbing. There were a whole lot of people planning to subvert the results of a free and fair election.

^ I read something similar last year about point #4. But it was framed as, in case of a tie then it falls back to the governors, 26 of which are republican

Guess I’ll put this here
    ==================

Epik long has been the favorite Internet company of the far-right, providing domain services to QAnon theorists, Proud Boys and other instigators of the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol — allowing them to broadcast hateful messages from behind a veil of anonymity.

But that veil abruptly vanished last week when a huge breach by the hacker group Anonymous dumped into public view more than 150 gigabytes of previously private data — including user names, passwords and other identifying information of Epik’s customers.

Extremism researchers and political opponents have treated the leak as a Rosetta Stone to the far-right, helping them to decode who has been doing what with whom over several years.

Initial revelations have spilled out steadily across Twitter since news of the hack broke last week, often under the hashtag #epikfail, but those studying the material say they will need months and perhaps years to dig through all of it.

“It’s massive. It may be the biggest domain-style leak I’ve seen and, as an extremism researcher, it’s certainly the most interesting,” said Megan Squire, a computer science professor at Elon University who studies right-wing extremism. “It’s an embarrassment of riches — stress on the embarrassment.”

Epik, based in the Seattle suburb of Sammamish, has made its name in the Internet world by providing critical Web services to sites that have run afoul of other companies’ policies against hate speech, misinformation and advocating violence.

Its client list is a roll-call of sites known for permitting extreme posts and that have been rejected by other companies for their failure to moderate what their users post…….

Interesting going back and reading this thread from the beginning, especially when the breach first happened (post 131)

We were so certain that Trump would be removed immediately, either through the 25th amendment or Senate impeachment

We thought there would be repercussions for Hawley, Cruz etc.

We thought there would be sedition charges and the longest prison sentences the law allowed for those who entered the Capitol

We thought there would be incitement charges

We thought there would be consequences or at least backlash against those that supported and endorsed the Big Lie

After years of asking 'is this the tipping point?' this time we were certain THIS is the tipping point against Trump and Trumpism

More fools us

Last edited:
    Get your popcorn ready?

I’ve said that any video of Trump learning about the breach for the first time and him watching it on TV would tell you all you need to know
    =================

The White House is leaning toward releasing information to Congress about what Donald Trump and his aides were doing during the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol despite the former president’s objections — a decision that could have significant political and legal ramifications.

Trump has said he will cite “executive privilege” to block information requests from the House select committee investigating the events of that day, banking on a legal theory that has successfully allowed presidents and their aides to avoid or delay congressional scrutiny for decades, including during the Trump administration……

“It’s not really relevant because there’s no president involved — there’s no such thing as a former president’s executive privilege,” said Rep. Jamie B. Raskin (D-Md.), a committee member who teaches constitutional law. “That’s extremely dilute and not really relevant.”…….

Womp womp, lol...

"We finished and found no fraud. Trump lost. Also, here's how you should combat the fraud we didn't find."

Everyone involved in this should be ashamed of themselves.

Womp womp, lol...

This is my favorite part:

"The three-volume report by the Cyber Ninjas, the Senate's lead contractor, includes results that show Trump lost by a wider margin than the county's official election results," the newspaper noted. "The hand count shows Trump received 45,469 fewer votes than Biden. The county results showed he lost by 45,109."

They managed to net Trump fewer votes

"The three-volume report by the Cyber Ninjas, the Senate's lead contractor, includes results that show Trump lost by a wider margin than the county's official election results," the newspaper noted. "The hand count shows Trump received 45,469 fewer votes than Biden. The county results showed he lost by 45,109."

They'll just use that to say the the official count was incorrect and maybe other state's 'official counts' are wrong too

It’s seriously an LOL moment.

How much money did they spend? These people are so god-damned stupid and they’re in positions to make law! Goodness.

As a neutral take, I am sort of concerned that the machines apparently missed a couple of hundred votes which -- these days -- could actually determine an election. Not sure how you get around stuff like that absent hand-counting everything which is extremely impractical.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom