Trump loyalists in Congress to challenge Electoral College results in Jan. 6 joint session (Update: Insurrectionists storm Congress)(And now what?) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    I guess it's time to start a thread for this. We know that at least 140 members of Congress have pledged to join the objection. Under federal law, if at least one member of each house (HOR and Senate) objects, each house will adjourn the joint session for their own session (limited at two hours) to take up the objection. If both houses pass a resolution objecting to the EC result, further action can take place. If both houses do not (i.e. if one or neither passes a resolution), the objection is powerless and the college result is certified.

Clearly this is political theater as we know such a resolution will not pass the House, and there's good reason to think it wouldn't pass the Senate either (with or without the two senators from Georgia). The January 6 joint session is traditionally a ceremonial one. This one will not be.

Many traditional pillars of Republican support have condemned the plan as futile and damaging. Certainly the Trump loyalists don't care - and many are likely doing it for fundraising purposes or to carry weight with the fraction of their constituencies that think this is a good idea.

There are at least thousands of guys out there like this on the edge just waiting for a sign. Others will eventually see a video or read something that they assume is their go signal.

What in the actual fork!

So the Q crazies are going full suicide bomber now. I know they're out there. I know they're willing to go to any extremes to get their way. But it's still so jarring to see an hear. We are really screwed as a country right now.

Also, this guy and all the maskholes ranting and raving at school board meetings around the country are one and the same. It's a full 35% of our countries population that are increasingly willing to go to violent extremes to get their way. Because that's what patriots do.

Okay, this made me chuckle

I'm interested in the "...you will surrender," part.
    Yeah, these yahoos might surrender. Because they expect to be treated humanely and given a fair trial...with representation even.
    What if they didn't? What if they were certain-sure that torture and death were inevitable? That's when they let go of the deadman switch, that's the price of allowing democratic institutions to crumble.
    So we've already got the crazies in truck-bombs, it's just another couple steps to random suicide bombings at the mall.

Okay, this made me chuckle

I don't think a Timothy McVeigh would be bothered or interested in stopping to eat a grilled cheese sandwich, or a decent Porterhouse Steak before bringing in a truck full of animal fertilizer, parking it in a downtown D.C. side street and then igniting the fuse when their safely enough distance away to observe their deadly handiwork of a mostly destroyed DC city block, with hundreds dead or physically maimed, disfigured, or permanently disabled.

There's probably more then a few McVeigh types among the Proud Boys, Oath Keepers, and Boogaloos, perhaps many more lone-wolf, far-right, white supremacist types who are smart enough to keep their eventual goals, warped plans, or intentions to themselves and keep their racist, anti immigrant, antisemitic, or homophobic views to themselves, even from most close family members or friends who might, very logically, turn them in to the FBI or local law enforcement.

I know this guy tweet was meant to be sarcastic and antagonistic to the supposed, alleged and likely idiocy, stupidity, and cluelessness of MAGA terrorist groups but it would be wiser and more cautious approach to not try and make himself and others too much of a collective, walking target if you piss too many of them off. Sure, their are all radical, impossibly deluded proto-fascists, but don't assume there all stupid, either. Some of them are probably very intelligent, college-educated, they cloak their white supremacist anti-government views very intelligent effectively a few of them and like Mcveigh and the Las Vegas Strip mass shooter in 2018, their ways of exacting disproportionate murder or indiscriminate killings are varied, and nuanced, and their targets next time might not be the Library of Congress, or some federal or state municipal/government building, it could be somewhere a lot more logistically difficult for authorities to find out about and adequately defend.

Honestly, the sort of terrorist that scares me the most isn't necessarily Proud Boys, Boogaloos, or Oath keepers, its the radicalized, underground, officially unaffiliated lone wolf extremist or terrorist that shares the same views, ideals and goals of these groups, but doesn't want to risk being uncovered or be discovered by some undercover.FBI/NSA informant infiltrating these groups. Or maybe he's just a loner and prefers to disassociate from groups or organizations as a rule because he's anti-social.

There's no such thing as swaying points of view anymore. That concept is a remnant of the past.
    I feel your cynicism. I really do. But...people get swayed from time to time. It still happens. Just not as often, or not in the ways we'd like sometimes. But people's minds can be changed. My brother in laws are a good example. They were firmly anti-vaxxers until recently when my wife and I plus them getting sick, convinced them to change their minds.

So it happens. But I get it. I feel like that more than I probably should.

There's no such thing as swaying points of view anymore. That concept is a remnant of the past.

I feel your cynicism. I really do. But...people get swayed from time to time. It still happens. Just not as often, or not in the ways we'd like sometimes. But people's minds can be changed. My brother in laws are a good example. They were firmly anti-vaxxers until recently when my wife and I plus them getting sick, convinced them to change their minds.

So it happens. But I get it. I feel like that more than I probably should.

I think both of these points are valid.

I think it is an endangered species but not extinct.

I think many liberals are just as dug in as some conservatives; it’s definitely not a partisan issue.

It’s crazy to me that things that shouldn’t be political end up aligning along partisan lines. It’s a sign that our politics has infected our democracy.

This is allowing politicians on both sides to run on minor insignificant issues because the parties are manipulating elections, and it’s causing the government to get bogged down over the next election.

Incumbents should want the country to do well. This should be apply whether their party is in power or not, but our system of government has been broken by those seeking power.

We need real election reform that results in neutered political parties, and an amendment to the constitution that puts corporations and non profit groups on at the same level as individual people for the purpose of political speech.

The partisan primary system is ruining our republic.

I never thought it was a 'coordinated attack.' Do I think Trump intentionally ginned up the mob to break into the Capitol? Yes. Anyway, Greenwald is a colossal idiot for playing the 'January 6th was no big deal card.' People don't seem to grasp that... much like the great line from Chernobyl uttered by Gorby that 'Our power comes from the perception of our power,' the strength of democracy comes from the perception of the strength of democracy. The reality is, it's a house of cards that can come tumbling down when enough yo-yo's in America start believing insane things. Don't kid yourself. Russia and China are two obvious examples of powerful (economically and militaristic speaking) countries that are not democracies. There is little stopping America from becoming an authoritarian nation under Daddy Drumpf or another GQP'er willing to behave beneath the dignity of the presidency. The Framers did not want people like that coming into power. The electoral college was put in place to protect this country from wacky Q-Anon people and now it's actually working against that goal.

As a 'Libertarian' that should scare you. There might come a day when you're forced to pray to a certain deity or embrace some orthodoxy you might not care for but a kooky 30% base demands.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom