Trump loyalists in Congress to challenge Electoral College results in Jan. 6 joint session (Update: Insurrectionists storm Congress)(And now what?) (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    I guess it's time to start a thread for this. We know that at least 140 members of Congress have pledged to join the objection. Under federal law, if at least one member of each house (HOR and Senate) objects, each house will adjourn the joint session for their own session (limited at two hours) to take up the objection. If both houses pass a resolution objecting to the EC result, further action can take place. If both houses do not (i.e. if one or neither passes a resolution), the objection is powerless and the college result is certified.

Clearly this is political theater as we know such a resolution will not pass the House, and there's good reason to think it wouldn't pass the Senate either (with or without the two senators from Georgia). The January 6 joint session is traditionally a ceremonial one. This one will not be.

Many traditional pillars of Republican support have condemned the plan as futile and damaging. Certainly the Trump loyalists don't care - and many are likely doing it for fundraising purposes or to carry weight with the fraction of their constituencies that think this is a good idea.

I love Gary Cole.

He’s excellent in most of his roles, i think... Not to derail the thread, but the other cool thing about him was, well, when i was a kid there weren’t a whole lot of movies that genuinely scared me.. But there was this one movie, a miniseries actually- like the kind they used to show over 2 or 3 nights in the 80s- called Fatal Vision.. It was the true story of the army doctor who killed his wife and kids (there are tons of websites devoted to the case) and it scared the crapola outta me, i had to sleep with the lights on for a year... Cole played the lead in that movie, it was like his first role ever- I basically hounded him with questions about the case, he told me about the autopsy photos he saw and all kinds of other ’inside’ stuff lol.. I’ll always appreciate that.

I'm finding it disappointing that so many people can't see what seems so obvious.

I doubt anyone forced Trump to give his speech. I don't doubt it was written for him. I think he chose to gave his speech today, because the only clear message in the speech was to condemn the assault yesterday and on the record say that he did not want what happened yesterday. He did the speech today to create reasonable doubt if he's ever charged with sedition or inciting a riot.

Everyone that is resigning right now are not resigning because they think Trump went to far. They all knew this was coming and stuck around. They are resigning, because the seditious assault didn't work. They are resigning in case they are investigated or charged. They are also creating reasonable doubt in case they need it. They can defend themselves by saying "I knew nothing, I saw nothing, I heard nothing and after it happened I quit."

It's all just so obvious when you consider the historical behavior and motivations of every single one of them. Self-enrichment and self-preservation is all they care about. Trump through his supporters who stormed the Capitol under the bus today not to avoid being removed from office 13 days early. He did it to try to avoid being charged and convicted of sedition.

Everyone else who is resigning is doing it for the same reason.

That’s a very cynical take and very possibly not wrong

There is a video out there showing exactly what happened to the lady who died. I won't link it because it's pretty much showing someone shot to death. She was climbing over the barricade to get to the area with the VP, senators. There is a officer with his gun clearly drawn in full of view of everyone trying to breach. You can't hear him over the shouting, but I assume he was giving verbal warnings as well.

I saw it too - by accident and it's very unsettling. It wasn't a barricade, it was a window that had been broken, one of those interior wall/door/window features where the door is in the center and wood on each side goes up about halfway, and then there's glass. It was clearly a line of defense for the law enforcement.

And, wrapped in her Trump flag, she climbed up and attempted to be the first to jump through, in to the secure zone where at least six officers waited in position with drawn weapons. One of them fired at close range. It's sad and pathetic that this woman gave her life in such a stupid way.

Now these cretins are "saying her name" in the same way that many Americans mourned Breanna Taylor's tragic and unnecessary death as she slept in her home. I cannot describe how foul that is.

This is insane. It was a coup and Capitol Police leadership must all be investigated to find out where this came from.

I watched that press conference and earlier on he explain that they could not reach the SecDef. Odds are SecDef was ducking their calls for help at the behest of trump.

Hawley and Cruz would both be so much more competent fascists than Trump, but luckily for us they are both unlikable loser creeps who would never, ever, ever win a national election. But if someone comes along with both the charisma and "it" factor of Trump combined with the malevolent focus of those guys we now know that our entire system could be in trouble. Just imagine how this would have turned out if Trump was good at his job or could convince better people than Giuliani, etc. to be his henchmen. The pieces are all in place if they can find the right cult leader.

Hawley and Cruz would both be so much more competent fascists than Trump, but luckily for us they are both unlikable loser creeps who would never, ever, ever win a national election. But if someone comes along with both the charisma and "it" factor of Trump combined with the malevolent focus of those guys we now know that our entire system could be in trouble. Just imagine how this would have turned out if Trump was good at his job or could convince better people than Giuliani, etc. to be his henchmen. The pieces are all in place if they can find the right cult leader.
    They will both quickly disappear if the Koch Foundation and large corporate donors cut off their funding. Cruz, especially, didn't win by a particularly impressive margin in Texas. By 2024 the demographics will have shifted even further. Hawley would have to be ousted in the GOP primary because Missouri is essentially part of the Bible Belt now.

I'm finding it disappointing that so many people can't see what seems so obvious.

I doubt anyone forced Trump to give his speech. I don't doubt it was written for him. I think he chose to gave his speech today, because the only clear message in the speech was to condemn the assault yesterday and on the record say that he did not want what happened yesterday. He did the speech today to create reasonable doubt if he's ever charged with sedition or inciting a riot.

Everyone that is resigning right now are not resigning because they think Trump went to far. They all knew this was coming and stuck around. They are resigning, because the seditious assault didn't work. They are resigning in case they are investigated or charged. They are also creating reasonable doubt in case they need it. They can defend themselves by saying "I knew nothing, I saw nothing, I heard nothing and after it happened I quit."

It's all just so obvious when you consider the historical behavior and motivations of every single one of them. Self-enrichment and self-preservation is all they care about. Trump threw his supporters who stormed the Capitol under the bus today not to avoid being removed from office 13 days early. He did it to try to avoid being charged and convicted of sedition.

Everyone else who is resigning is doing it for the same reason.

Exactly right. They are distancing themselves for when the reaper comes.

Trump tried to offer something in return to avoid a full court press. It's just as you said... So transparent.

I hope they nail him.

This is insane. It was a coup and Capitol Police leadership must all be investigated to find out where this came from.

I don’t remember the specific positions involved without checking, but could this tie back to the alarming personnel moves Trump made a few weeks ago?

Last edited:
    Trump’s presidential library will be a cell phone, a tv and a toilet.

Daily show Presidential Twitter Library..
    1610076779496.png

Reason 2,678,546 to hate entitled arrogant butthead Josh Hawley. His book contract was canceled by the publisher because of the negative publicity he generated when he played his little sedition game. Ivy League lawyer calls it a straight up assault on the First Amendment, 😡, maybe he paid someone to take his bar?

Hehe

Reason 2,678,546 to hate entitled arrogant butthead Josh Hawley. His book contract was canceled by the publisher because of the negative publicity he generated when he played his little sedition game. Ivy League lawyer calls it a straight up assault on the First Amendment, 😡, maybe he paid someone to take his bar?

Simon and Schuster is not controlled by the left. I worked on a logo for them for a line of conservative publications headed up and edited by Mary Matalin. S&S wants to sell books, plain and simple. A left lean had nothing to do with it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom