Trump loyalists in Congress to challenge Electoral College results in Jan. 6 joint session (Update: Insurrectionists storm Congress)(And now what?) (4 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
Reaction score
I guess it's time to start a thread for this. We know that at least 140 members of Congress have pledged to join the objection. Under federal law, if at least one member of each house (HOR and Senate) objects, each house will adjourn the joint session for their own session (limited at two hours) to take up the objection. If both houses pass a resolution objecting to the EC result, further action can take place. If both houses do not (i.e. if one or neither passes a resolution), the objection is powerless and the college result is certified.

Clearly this is political theater as we know such a resolution will not pass the House, and there's good reason to think it wouldn't pass the Senate either (with or without the two senators from Georgia). The January 6 joint session is traditionally a ceremonial one. This one will not be.

Many traditional pillars of Republican support have condemned the plan as futile and damaging. Certainly the Trump loyalists don't care - and many are likely doing it for fundraising purposes or to carry weight with the fraction of their constituencies that think this is a good idea.

The day before the 2020 election, Roger Stone, the long-time Republican operative and ally of former President Donald Trump, said in front of a documentary film crew that he had no interest in waiting to tally actual votes before contesting the election results.

"F**k the voting, let's get right to the violence," Stone can be heard saying, according to footage provided by a Danish documentary film crew and obtained by CNN……

NEW YORK (AP) — The chief of the U.S. Capitol Police during the Jan. 6 siege has a book deal. Steven A. Sund’s “Courage Under Fire: Under Siege and Outnumbered 58 to 1 on January 6” will come out Jan. 3, just shy of the two-year anniversary of the riot by supporters of President Donald Trump.

“It’s time to break my silence and reveal everything that I know happened,” Sund said in a statement released Monday by Blackstone Publishing.

Sund resigned under pressure soon after Jan. 6 and testified the following month that he hadn’t seen an FBI field report warning of potential violence. He said the overrunning of the U.S. Capitol was the result of widespread failures.

“No single civilian law enforcement agency — and certainly not the USCP — is trained and equipped to repel, without significant military or other law enforcement assistance, an insurrection of thousands of armed, violent, and coordinated individuals focused on breaching a building at all costs,” he testified……

I guess there's no better time than now... I have a book deals as well. It'll be in Amazon - or not. The way I figure, if everyone else is getting a book deal, why can't I?

Good read
========
As the January 6 hearings are about to resume, it is unlikely that our basic understanding of what happened between the 2020 presidential election and the attack on the Capitol will significantly change.

That is a testament to the crucial work the Committee has already done and to which we owe much of our detailed knowledge of the weeks long, multi-level coup attempt and the evolving strategies of those involved in this deliberate campaign to nullify the election results, prevent the transfer of power and end constitutional government in America.

And yet, the Committee’ job is far from done. It still has an important role to play in determining the meaning and role of January 6 in US history.

Was the attack on the US Capitol a failed, desperate, last-ditch effort by delusional extremists?

Or will it be remembered as a milestone in America’s accelerating descent into authoritarianism – an assault on the system that didn’t succeed initially but played a key role in democracy’s demise?

The answer to these questions is not decided by facts and past events. In a very real sense, January 6 isn’t over yet, and the success or failure of the Trumpian coup attempt will be decided by what happens next.

If that sounds counter-intuitive, it is helpful to examine how the meaning of another infamous historical event to which January 6 has often been compared – the Beer Hall Putsch, Adolf Hitler’s failed coup attempt in November 1923 – changed significantly over time…….

In the context of the current political situation in the US, what happened after the Beer Hall Putsch seems to serve as an important warning. Hitler was arrested and charged with high treason.

But because the judges were rather sympathetic to his political project and inclined to lend credence to his version of the events, in which he presented himself as a true patriot who tried to save the nation, he got off easy: he was sentenced to just five years in prison and was granted significant comforts and privileges.

Due to good conduct, he was set free before the end of 1924, having spent less than nine months behind bars. It was during his time in prison that he dictated the first volume of Mein Kampf.

Just a few years later, on January 30, 1933, Hitler was installed as Chancellor and immediately started dismantling what was left of the Weimar democracy.

As America is debating what to do with Donald Trump, the message seems clear: this is what happens when extremists who attack the republic aren’t held to account……

What is the meaning of January 6?

There are signs that the attack on the Capitol might ultimately play a crucial role in galvanizing the pro-democracy forces in America, in getting more people – starting with the leaders of the Democratic Party – to grapple honestly with the anti-democratic radicalization of the Republican party, in sparking a mobilization of civil society in the defense of constitutional government.

In this scenario, January 6 could mark an important moment in an intensified push towards finally realizing the promise of egalitarian, multiracial, pluralistic democracy.

There is another scenario, however – one in which democracy does not hold. In this scenario, January 6 didn’t accomplish its immediate goal, but still served as a catalyst for the radicalization of the Republican party, a rallying cry for the Far-Right more generally, and a milestone on the path towards democracy’s eventual downfall.

This scenario does not just hinge on what happens to Donald Trump personally, but also on whether or not the party that first elevated and then stuck with him will actually have to face electoral consequences.

January 6 has undoubtedly accelerated the process of ostracizing everyone who is not on board with openly embracing the authoritarian assault on the political system from the Republican ranks, and we must expect a significant shift towards the conspiratorial Right in Congress after the mid-term elections……..

Last edited:
Two retired Indiana police officers have been named in a leak connected to the Oath Keepers militia group, WLFI reports.

The group Distributed Denial of Open Secrets leaked about 5 gigabytes of data from the servers of the far-right group. As WLFI points out, the unidentified former officers haven't been arrested or charged.

"Greetings: I am a retired police Sergeant, Lafayette Police Department, 27 years. I want to become a member [of the Oath Keepers]. Checking to see if there is a chapter in Indiana," read a 2021 email from one of the retired Lafayette Police Department officers. The email was sent less than four months after the Jan. 6 Capitol riot.

Another retired LPD officer is listed as an Oath Keepers member in a leaked membership log, where he says in his bio, "I gave an oath to defend the Constitution of the United States of America in the Unites States Army and the Lafayette Police Dept., I will defend that oath with my very last breath. I'm a Christian man with an allegiance to GOD and Country."

After being contacted by WLFI, he called the Capitol riots "a big, phony fiasco by the communist left."

"Anyone who doesn't believe the leftist government is trying to destroy our country has got their head in the sand," the retired officer said.........

Yes, that’s the takeaway from that day: What a crowd!
================================

Donald Trump boasted about the size of the crowd that gathered to hear him speak on January 6 during a campaign rally on Saturday night.

“You know the biggest crowd I’ve ever seen? January 6. And you never hear that,” the former president told the rally in Minden, Nevada. “They were there largely to protest a corrupt and rigged and stolen election.”……….

Republican senator Lindsey Graham told a former police officer who was severely injured in the attack on the Capitol that he should have shot Trump-supporting rioters in the head, according to a new book.

The claim is one of a series of stunning revelations contained in former Capitol police officer Michael Fanone’s upcoming memoir Hold the Line.

Mr Fanone writes that he met Mr Graham, a key Trump ally, four months after the deadly siege in May 2021.

According to Politico, who obtained an advanced copy of the book, the South Carolina senator told him: “You guys should have shot them all in the head. We gave you guys guns, and you should have used them. I don’t understand why that didn’t happen.”……..

On Jan. 6, 2021, a large group of evangelical Christians attacked the U.S. Capitol on the understanding that they were fighting for God's president. (Not all of those who stormed the Capitol were driven by religious convictions, of course, but a large proportion were.)

They were ready to kill for their president, take down a democratic system that has endured nearly 250 years, and follow Donald Trump at God's supposed direction until America became a Christian theocracy. As the House Jan. 6 committee concludes its investigation, I think the power and significance of these evangelical believers have been overlooked.

Most people now understand that the solid foundation of support for Trump is connected to evangelical theology, and that was never more clear than on that fateful day. The Jan. 6 committee has assigned itself the task of identifying those who are guilty of planning and inspiring this coup attempt, and while the former president was obviously the central figure, I would like to shift the committee's attention to prominent evangelical pastors.

These religious leaders have enormous political and spiritual influence and in many cases have provided the moral authority that led their followers to work toward the overthrow of American democracy.

The cross was visible everywhere on Jan. 6. The Christian faith — at least as they understood it — was aflame in the hearts of most of the people who attacked the capitol.

The hard and almost incomprehensible truth is that many of these people had never committed a single act of violence in their lives, and on that winter day found themselves chanting, "Hang Mike Pence," and actually ready to carry that out. That could not have happened without the sincere faith that God himself was supporting their actions.

Remember that Mike Pence is as devout an evangelical Christian as any politician in America. He is committed to evangelical theology in his personal life and his political career.

And yet he became enemy No. 1 to a group of purported evangelical believers who viewed him as a traitorous criminal and became committed to murdering him. That could not have happened without the profound conviction that Trump was the ordained president chosen by the creator of the universe.

Faith in God can be dangerous, as both sincere believers and nonbelievers are aware. Faith is behind the oppressive nature of Iran's morality police. When you take people whose conscience, in any normal circumstance, would prevent them from committing a heinous or violent act and tell them, "This is for God," and their moral compass is pushed aside. Killing women for removing a garment from their heads — as has happened recently in the streets of Tehran — is literally insane.

But for some people, if they become convinced they are following God's orders, it becomes possible to do it. Attacking the Capitol and seeking to hang Mike Pence and Nancy Pelosi is equally insane. But a person who literally believes that God told them to do it suddenly becomes capable of evil deeds well beyond their previous experience..........

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opin...sedgntp&cvid=20fcad9db2e744ce87f0ca058c066b3a

On Jan. 6, 2021, a large group of evangelical Christians attacked the U.S. Capitol on the understanding that they were fighting for God's president. (Not all of those who stormed the Capitol were driven by religious convictions, of course, but a large proportion were.)

They were ready to kill for their president, take down a democratic system that has endured nearly 250 years, and follow Donald Trump at God's supposed direction until America became a Christian theocracy. As the House Jan. 6 committee concludes its investigation, I think the power and significance of these evangelical believers have been overlooked.

Most people now understand that the solid foundation of support for Trump is connected to evangelical theology, and that was never more clear than on that fateful day. The Jan. 6 committee has assigned itself the task of identifying those who are guilty of planning and inspiring this coup attempt, and while the former president was obviously the central figure, I would like to shift the committee's attention to prominent evangelical pastors.

These religious leaders have enormous political and spiritual influence and in many cases have provided the moral authority that led their followers to work toward the overthrow of American democracy.

The cross was visible everywhere on Jan. 6. The Christian faith — at least as they understood it — was aflame in the hearts of most of the people who attacked the capitol.

The hard and almost incomprehensible truth is that many of these people had never committed a single act of violence in their lives, and on that winter day found themselves chanting, "Hang Mike Pence," and actually ready to carry that out. That could not have happened without the sincere faith that God himself was supporting their actions.

Remember that Mike Pence is as devout an evangelical Christian as any politician in America. He is committed to evangelical theology in his personal life and his political career.

And yet he became enemy No. 1 to a group of purported evangelical believers who viewed him as a traitorous criminal and became committed to murdering him. That could not have happened without the profound conviction that Trump was the ordained president chosen by the creator of the universe.

Faith in God can be dangerous, as both sincere believers and nonbelievers are aware. Faith is behind the oppressive nature of Iran's morality police. When you take people whose conscience, in any normal circumstance, would prevent them from committing a heinous or violent act and tell them, "This is for God," and their moral compass is pushed aside. Killing women for removing a garment from their heads — as has happened recently in the streets of Tehran — is literally insane.

But for some people, if they become convinced they are following God's orders, it becomes possible to do it. Attacking the Capitol and seeking to hang Mike Pence and Nancy Pelosi is equally insane. But a person who literally believes that God told them to do it suddenly becomes capable of evil deeds well beyond their previous experience..........

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opin...sedgntp&cvid=20fcad9db2e744ce87f0ca058c066b3a
It's clear their faith is in Trump more than God. Trump is the cult leader. Has little to do with the Christian faith.

It's clear their faith is in Trump more than God. Trump is the cult leader. Has little to do with the Christian faith.
However evangelical Christians are being sucked into this cult at an alarming rate, IMO. It’s a real problem. I think the remaining evangelicals who aren’t Trumpy need to call out the ones who are.

However evangelical Christians are being sucked into this cult at an alarming rate, IMO. It’s a real problem. I think the remaining evangelicals who aren’t Trumpy need to call out the ones who are.
The ones I do know are no longer Republicans. They're not Democrats either. They've just quit partisan politics altogether or are independents like me. The problem is the ones who remain often remain by default. They still believe whatever is spewed on FNC or whatever. The Republican Party is so far gone, calling them out doesn't do much good. The only way to change the party is for them to lose a lot of elections.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
Top Bottom