Trump loyalists in Congress to challenge Electoral College results in Jan. 6 joint session (Update: Insurrectionists storm Congress)(And now what?) (4 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    I guess it's time to start a thread for this. We know that at least 140 members of Congress have pledged to join the objection. Under federal law, if at least one member of each house (HOR and Senate) objects, each house will adjourn the joint session for their own session (limited at two hours) to take up the objection. If both houses pass a resolution objecting to the EC result, further action can take place. If both houses do not (i.e. if one or neither passes a resolution), the objection is powerless and the college result is certified.

Clearly this is political theater as we know such a resolution will not pass the House, and there's good reason to think it wouldn't pass the Senate either (with or without the two senators from Georgia). The January 6 joint session is traditionally a ceremonial one. This one will not be.

Many traditional pillars of Republican support have condemned the plan as futile and damaging. Certainly the Trump loyalists don't care - and many are likely doing it for fundraising purposes or to carry weight with the fraction of their constituencies that think this is a good idea.

This is encouraging - a bunch of local Republican operatives in several states illegally accessed voting machines and voting records trying to prove the non-existent “fraud”. It’s great that they are finally being investigated in at least one state.

Paging Roofgardener
    ===================

Enrique Tarrio, the former chairman of the Proud Boys, and four other members of the far-right group were indicted on Monday for seditious conspiracy in connection with the storming of the Capitol last January, the most serious crime to be charged in the Justice Department’s sprawling investigation of the assault.

The sedition charges against Mr. Tarrio and his co-defendants — Joseph Biggs, Ethan Nordean, Zachary Rehl and Dominic Pezzola — came in an amended indictment that was unsealed in Federal District Court in Washington. The men had already been charged in an earlier indictment filed in March with conspiring to obstruct the certification of the 2020 presidential election, which took place during a joint session of Congress on Jan. 6, 2021............

I hope they get thrown in jail for a long, long time. They should be thankful they don't get the max penalty for treason.

Anyone see this?

This is encouraging - a bunch of local Republican operatives in several states illegally accessed voting machines and voting records trying to prove the non-existent “fraud”. It’s great that they are finally being investigated in at least one state.

I would not really worry about them finding anything wrong but I WOULD worry about what they could learn in the process. If someone with great technological knowlegde could spend time "playing" with the machines they might find vulnerabilities which could be exploided later and/or if Michigan does not replace those machines, might even try to somehow alter them to be able to change the votes registered.

Shortly before pro-Trump rioters stormed the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, Secret Service agents scrambled to try to secure a motorcade route so then-President Donald Trump could accompany his supporters as they marched on Congress to demand he stay in power, according to two people briefed on witnesses’ accounts to congressional investigators.

The hectic events that day followed nearly two weeks of persistent pressure from Trump on the Secret Service to devise a plan for him to join his supporters on a march to the Capitol from the park near the White House where he was leading a massive rally that he predicted would be “wild.”

The agency had rebuffed Trump’s early entreaties, but the rushed effort on Jan. 6 to accommodate the president came as Secret Service personnel heard Trump urge his rally audience of nearly 30,000 people to march to the Capitol while suggesting he would join them.

Their mission was clear, he said: pressure “weak” Republicans to refuse to accept the election results that made Joe Biden the next president…..

I'm not there yet but I'm more hopeful now then I was before that there is a possibility that real justice may be served here....DOJ needs to step it up and take charge....I think the evidence is already pretty overwhelming.....and I think we have only seen a fraction of it....

I'm not there yet but I'm more hopeful now then I was before that there is a possibility that real justice may be served here....DOJ needs to step it up and take charge....I think the evidence is already pretty overwhelming.....and I think we have only seen a fraction of it....
    Here's hoping

The difference between Don Jr and Hunter Biden is that Don Jr. was born into a family that could afford cocaine.

Yeah, I don't get the Hunter Biden obsession. He's a troubled guy for sure, and he obviously used the family name to his benefit, but he's not involved in the administration, so why is he relevant? Lots of people have family members with addiction issues.

They guy actually has my sympathy. Beau was clearly the apple of Joe's eye, and Ashley was the baby, Jill's only child by birth, leaving Hunter as the stereotypical "forgotten" middle child.

Anyone see this?
    Not only that-I guess Meadows’ has made statements that Trump’s offer to march to the Capitol with the mob was spontaneous and not planned - now it comes out that Trump had been badgering the Secret Service for weeks to figure out a way for him to do it.

So not only did he always intend to whip the crowd into a frenzy and point them at the Capitol, he knew he was going to do it for weeks in advance.

Not only that-I guess Meadows’ has made statements that Trump’s offer to march to the Capitol with the mob was spontaneous and not planned - now it comes out that Trump had been badgering the Secret Service for weeks to figure out a way for him to do it.

So not only did he always intend to whip the crowd into a frenzy and point them at the Capitol, he knew he was going to do it for weeks in advance.
    Did Meadows actually say this or are you hoping he said this? Where did you see this?

Last edited:
    Yeah, I don't get the Hunter Biden obsession. He's a troubled guy for sure, and he obviously used the family name to his benefit, but he's not involved in the administration, so why is he relevant? Lots of people have family members with addiction issues.

They guy actually has my sympathy. Beau was clearly the apple of Joe's eye, and Ashley was the baby, Jill's only child by birth, leaving Hunter as the stereotypical "forgotten" middle child.

Hunter is a complete trainwreck by any standard, and people love a good trainwreck celebrity.

He reflects poorly on Joe, and your last paragraph kind of supports that. Daddy didn't love him as much as golden child Beau, and look how he turned out. Basically if you took all the jokes about Eric Trump and made them into a person, it would be Hunter Biden.

Then there is the coverup of the laptop story - which again, not really that relevant, but it could have affected the election and was definitely buried by most media outlets for that reason. I for one am glad they covered it up. People are dumb.

Did Meadows actually say this or are you hoping he said this? Where did you see this?
    It’s one of the lies he told in his book. I found this reference from a Business Insider article:

“Meadows writes that Trump was "more subdued than usual" in the speech and that he was ad-libbing when he said, "We're going to walk down to the Capitol and we're going to cheer on" members of Congress objecting to counting slates of electoral votes for President Joe Biden, per the Guardian.”

Emphasis mine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom