Trump loyalists in Congress to challenge Electoral College results in Jan. 6 joint session (Update: Insurrectionists storm Congress)(And now what?) (5 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    I guess it's time to start a thread for this. We know that at least 140 members of Congress have pledged to join the objection. Under federal law, if at least one member of each house (HOR and Senate) objects, each house will adjourn the joint session for their own session (limited at two hours) to take up the objection. If both houses pass a resolution objecting to the EC result, further action can take place. If both houses do not (i.e. if one or neither passes a resolution), the objection is powerless and the college result is certified.

Clearly this is political theater as we know such a resolution will not pass the House, and there's good reason to think it wouldn't pass the Senate either (with or without the two senators from Georgia). The January 6 joint session is traditionally a ceremonial one. This one will not be.

Many traditional pillars of Republican support have condemned the plan as futile and damaging. Certainly the Trump loyalists don't care - and many are likely doing it for fundraising purposes or to carry weight with the fraction of their constituencies that think this is a good idea.

MSNBC conducted a focus group with several Georgia Republicans to get their perspective on the events of January 6th, which led to participants going on and on with conspiracy theories and attempts to minimize the storming of the U.S. Capitol.

The discussion was conducted by MSNBC’s Elise Jordan, who summarized that Republican voters “want to forget” about January 6th so they can rail against Black Lives Matter instead over the bad conduct that took place amid past protests for racial justice. Sure enough, MSNBC rolled footage of Kristi, a member of the conservative focus group who asked “How is [January 6th] any different than what happened, per se, right here on the streets of Atlanta with those riots? How is it different?”

“But y’all didn’t like those riots,” Jordan retorted.

“That’s my point,” Kristi said. “It shouldn’t be treated any differently. The people that participated should be held accountable for what they did.”

From there, Jordan brought up the Republican National Committee’s statement claiming the events of January 6th were “legitimate political discourse.” Asked if they agree with that, another panelist named Martin answered “Sure, until they trespassed. But once they trespassed, what did they do? They walked up the stairway, they went in the Rotunda, and they walked become out. So now they’re in a gulag for two years.”

Martin proceeded to claim “there were only 100 bad actors” in the Capitol mob that day, and “the rest of the people were largely respectful.”

“There was a lot of bad stuff that happened that day,” he continued. “But I believe the portion of people that were troublemakers is very small. Number two, how many of those troublemakers were actually Antifa or intentional troublemakers?”

Martin’s comments echo the repeated attempts by conservatives to blame the Capitol Riot on Leftists agitators instead of Donald Trump’s supporters fueled by the former president’s lies that the 2020 election was stolen. Numerous Trump supporters have been arrested for their actions in connection with the riot, and there is no hard evidence to back up the claim that Antifa or Black Lives Matter started the violence...........

I saw that, the delusions are strong with that guy. What I really loved was that Jordan asked him a key question that he had no answer for: if the rioters were BLM and Antifa, why didn’t Trump do something to stop them? No tweets, no action for hours and hours. If they weren’t Trump supporters why didn’t he do something? He just looked blankly at her.

I saw that, the delusions are strong with that guy. What I really loved was that Jordan asked him a key question that he had no answer for: if the rioters were BLM and Antifa, why didn’t Trump do something to stop them? No tweets, no action for hours and hours. If they weren’t Trump supporters why didn’t he do something? He just looked blankly at her.
    The flip side to that

Why didn’t Trump pardon everyone?

He was still president for two more weeks and my understanding was he could have issued a blanket pardon from any federal charges connected to Jan 6th even if the charges don’t come until after he was out of office

Why didn’t Trump help his supporters he loved so much and were there for him and because of him?

Last edited:
    Because he doesn’t care about them, and they couldn’t do anything else for him. That’s an easy question.

Wanting to believe is a powerful drug. They want to believe he cares about them, they want it so bad they will ignore all the evidence to the contrary. And boy howdy is there a lot of evidence to the contrary.

Wanting to believe is a powerful drug. They want to believe he cares about them, they want it so bad they will ignore all the evidence to the contrary. And boy howdy is there a lot of evidence to the contrary.
    And if they ever realize and accept that the next January 6th will be on Mar A Lago’s front lawn

Donald Trump’s onetime attorney Rudy Giulianitestified to the House select committee investigating the January 6 Capitol attack at length on Friday but declined to discuss the involvement of congressional Republicans in efforts to overturn the 2020 election result, according to sources familiar with the matter.

The move by Giuliani to refuse to give insight into Republican involvement could mean his appearance only marginally advanced the inquiry into his ploy to have the then vice-president, Mike Pence, unlawfully keep Trump in office after he lost to Joe Biden.

However, he did potentially pique the committee’s interest by discussing two notable meetings at the White House involving Trump that took place just weeks before the Capitol insurrection……

Not surprised in the least. As bad as we think he is, I’m sure he’s worse.

Would not be shocked at all if he said it. If that moron gets elected again I'm saying goodbye to my family and in laws and my wife and I will move to Korea. Completely serious.
    Want company? Seriously, a buddy of mine in Canada has offered asylum to us if we want it.

Want company? Seriously, a buddy of mine in Canada has offered asylum to us if we want it.
    Lol, yeah, I'd probably choose Korea because my wife is from there, but I think I'd rather a country where I can have dual citizenship. I'd still want to come back to the US to visit my family. I don't think Korea and US have a dual citizenship agreement. But...I'd definitely take a look at Canada as an alternative option if Korea doesn't work.

CNN has obtained 2,319 text messages that former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows handed over to the January 6 committee that were sent and received between Election Day 2020 and President Joe Biden's inauguration, including more than 150 on January 6.
    Meadows' texts, which he selectively provided to the panel, show that even those closest to former President Donald Trump believed he had the power to stop the violence in real time.
    Here's a minute-by-minute timeline of the notable text messages that Meadows sent and received on January 5 and January 6, which have been verified by CNN. The texts include messages from former White House officials, Meadows associates and Republican members of Congress, as well as Trump's oldest son. There are also numerous texts from reporters at news organizations such as The New York Times, Politico, Bloomberg, CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox News and CNN.

Note: CNN has removed personal information from the texts. Errors in spelling and grammar reflect the messages as they were sent, which in some cases include profanity.

3:45 p.m.: Jason Miller to Mark Meadows and Dan Scavino
    Call me crazy, but ideas for two tweets from POTUS: 1) Bad apples, likely ANTIFA or other crazed leftists, infiltrated today's peaceful protest over the fraudulent vote count. Violence is never acceptable! MAGA supporters embrace our police and the rule of law and should leave the Capitol now! 2) The fake news media who encouraged this summer's violent and radical riots are now trying to blame peaceful and innocent MAGA supporters for violent actions. This isn't who we are! Our people should head home and let the criminals suffer the consequences!

I singled this text out because it proved to me what a sleazy foresight lacking scumbag Miller is.

CNN has obtained 2,319 text messages that former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows handed over to the January 6 committee that were sent and received between Election Day 2020 and President Joe Biden's inauguration, including more than 150 on January 6.
    Meadows' texts, which he selectively provided to the panel, show that even those closest to former President Donald Trump believed he had the power to stop the violence in real time.
    Here's a minute-by-minute timeline of the notable text messages that Meadows sent and received on January 5 and January 6, which have been verified by CNN. The texts include messages from former White House officials, Meadows associates and Republican members of Congress, as well as Trump's oldest son. There are also numerous texts from reporters at news organizations such as The New York Times, Politico, Bloomberg, CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox News and CNN.

Note: CNN has removed personal information from the texts. Errors in spelling and grammar reflect the messages as they were sent, which in some cases include profanity.

3:45 p.m.: Jason Miller to Mark Meadows and Dan Scavino
    Call me crazy, but ideas for two tweets from POTUS: 1) Bad apples, likely ANTIFA or other crazed leftists, infiltrated today's peaceful protest over the fraudulent vote count. Violence is never acceptable! MAGA supporters embrace our police and the rule of law and should leave the Capitol now! 2) The fake news media who encouraged this summer's violent and radical riots are now trying to blame peaceful and innocent MAGA supporters for violent actions. This isn't who we are! Our people should head home and let the criminals suffer the consequences!

I singled this text out because it proved to me what a sleazy foresight lacking scumbag Miller is.
    The common thread in a lot of the texts was that many Trump supporters thought Trump was the only one who could stop the attack on the Capitol. So Trump clearly had the ability to get through those people and didn't make much of an effort to do so. Clearly a dereliction of duty as President.

Remember when a congressional subpoena was to be taken seriously?
    ===============

(CNN) - The Department of Justice has informed the House select committee investigating the January 6, 2021, insurrection that it will not indict two former Trump White House officials found in contempt by the committee.

According to a source familiar with the notification, US Attorney Matt Graves notified Doug Letter, the House general counsel, that the Justice Department had completed its review and had decided it "will not be initiating prosecutions for criminal contempt, as requested in the referral against Messrs Meadows and Scavino."

The New York Times first reported the news that Mark Meadows, former chief of staff to then-President Donald Trump, and Dan Scavino, former deputy chief of staff to Trump, won't be prosecuted.

The decision by the Justice Department is a blow to the House panel's efforts to enforce subpoenas related to its investigation and could embolden other Trump associates facing similar requests to not cooperate. It comes the same day that former White House trade adviser Peter Navarro was indicted for failing to cooperate with the committee………

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom