Trump loyalists in Congress to challenge Electoral College results in Jan. 6 joint session (Update: Insurrectionists storm Congress)(And now what?) (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    I guess it's time to start a thread for this. We know that at least 140 members of Congress have pledged to join the objection. Under federal law, if at least one member of each house (HOR and Senate) objects, each house will adjourn the joint session for their own session (limited at two hours) to take up the objection. If both houses pass a resolution objecting to the EC result, further action can take place. If both houses do not (i.e. if one or neither passes a resolution), the objection is powerless and the college result is certified.

Clearly this is political theater as we know such a resolution will not pass the House, and there's good reason to think it wouldn't pass the Senate either (with or without the two senators from Georgia). The January 6 joint session is traditionally a ceremonial one. This one will not be.

Many traditional pillars of Republican support have condemned the plan as futile and damaging. Certainly the Trump loyalists don't care - and many are likely doing it for fundraising purposes or to carry weight with the fraction of their constituencies that think this is a good idea.

Hmm.. I couldn't find any refference to the Fox News secruity correspondent. However, I DID find this, which casts significant doubt on the veracity of the original Atlantic story ?

Well. I mean. You did find the reference to the Fox News security correspondent, because some of her twitter thread on the topic is literally embedded in that article, which, while it has a couple of sources disputing some specific aspects of the story, also - as it says in the headline - backs up other parts.

That said, the article does choose to omit part of the security correspondent's twitter thread, probably because the article is - quite clearly - putting a Fox News spin on it. You can click through for the full thread here if you're curious:

So I would say that article, particularly with the full context, largely substantiates the overall nature of the Atlantic story, despite the spin.

And having said that, I would also note that if you were to reject the story on the basis of that article, you would still be relying on anonymous sources to do so, which wouldn't really support the premise of rejecting anonymous sources or questioning their existence. It would instead support the notion of considering the accounts of anonymous sources critically with regard to the wider context.

But the wider context here is that Trump has repeatedly shown contempt for military service, and has a well-established history of not paying his bills.

Last edited:
    Play with fire, get burned...

The fiery rallies that preceded the deadly riot at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 were organized and promoted by an array of established conservative insiders and activists, documents and videos show.
    The Republican Attorneys General Association was involved, as were the activist groups Turning Point Action and Tea Party Patriots. At least six current or former members of the Council for National Policy (CNP), an influential group that for decades has served as a hub for conservative and Christian activists, also played roles in promoting the rallies.

The two days of rallies were staged not by white nationalists and other extremists, but by well-funded nonprofit groups and individuals that figure prominently in the machinery of conservative activism in Washington.

Last edited:
    Giving a tour, by its self isn't anything worth of indictment.

Now, her lying about it is curious.

And I'd be curious to now what communication or coordination was done. These people aren't the brightest, so there may be an electronic paper trail.

I don't remember, did she say she didn't give any tours at all, or just no tours to anyone at the riot?

The newspapers may have a long history, but things change over time. Both the NYT and the Washingon Post have made no secret of their hatred of Trump. Even their former editor has admitted to the bias in the NYT, with supposed news articles being opinion-pieces. This - along with the huge increase in circulation that their stance produced - has resulted in an unprecedented bias, virtually making them a propaganda outlet for the Democrats. (well, perhaps not quite, but close).

As for the specific case.. as I mentioned in my other post .. everyone who was in Trump's company during this event have stated that he did NOT make those statements. So who WHERE these 'un-named sources', and where they really in a position to hear him first-hand ? Or are we hearing something third-hand ? And if so, why didn't the newspapers SAY that ?

The thing you are missing here is news papers are about exposing the truth.

The fact that everything about Trump is a lie. So ya they do expose the truth.

Not really interested in playing a game with you about trump and his lies.

If you buy into that crap fine.

Hey on a side note what do you garden on your roof? Veggies?

She said she didn't give any tours the day before (January 5). Cohen's claim is that she gave a large tour some time between January 3 and January 6. Both statements can be true.

Actually, I misremembered. She does address the specific claim against her, which had been that she gave a tour the day before, by saying that she "never" gave a tour to any outside group. I suspect if she is lying she will claim that she meant only that day, but it does seem like a lie after all.

Giving a tour, by its self isn't anything worth of indictment.

Now, her lying about it is curious.

And I'd be curious to now what communication or coordination was done. These people aren't the brightest, so there may be an electronic paper trail.

I went on a private tour of the Capitol back in 2016 that was coordinated thru Steve Scalise office- Not a "regular" tour - behind the scenes tour. It was our family and 2 others ( one was large donor to Scalise and the other was a couple related to the donor ).

We had to A) be vetted. B) sign in and get credentialed. Further, i cant imagine there isnt video out there documenting this tour.

I actually was allowed to take photos in the Lincoln Room and we got to see the secret stairwell and the underground "subway" for Congress members ( even has this little tram on tracks )

I went on a private tour of the Capitol back in 2016 that was coordinated thru Steve Scalise office- Not a "regular" tour - behind the scenes tour. It was our family and 2 others ( one was large donor to Scalise and the other was a couple related to the donor ).

We had to A) be vetted. B) sign in and get credentialed. Further, i cant imagine there isnt video out there documenting this tour.

I actually was allowed to take photos in the Lincoln Room and we got to see the secret stairwell and the underground "subway" for Congress members ( even has this little tram on tracks )

It's my understanding that tours of the Capitol were even further restricted since March 2020, due to Covid.

It's my understanding that tours of the Capitol were even further restricted since March 2020, due to Covid.

and like MT15 said, prohibited. So if they can verify ( which i imagine they have or Rep. Cohen wouldnt have said what he said ) she is probably facing expulsion from her post as Rep. Thats the only remedy here. ( along with prosecution )

Ward, public tours of the Capitol are currently forbidden due to COVID. So she was already in violation of the rules just by giving the tour.

If I recall correctly, private tours are still allowed, with restrictions due to Covid. It's much more limited than pre-Covid, so it shouldn't be hard to figure this out. She wouldn't necessarily be in violation just for giving the tour.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom