Texans fight with hostess at NYC restaurant over vaccinations (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

tigerfan

Reaction score
    The media seemed to delight in this story about these Texas rednecks. Then it turns out the patrons were Black, making this awkward for the people previously mocking the patrons. And now we have this new angle:

“Restaurants are using vaccine mandates to enforce their racist beliefs and excluding Black patrons,” said Hawk Newsome, the co-founder and chairman of Black Lives Matter Greater New York.

Do you have an argument?
    Woke types insult others when they do not have an argument.
    @DaveXA is, accurately, pointing out that you don't have an argument and that what you're offering is ignorant psychobabble. Which, here, is an accurate description, rather than an insult.

I mean, it's not complicated. When you put forward a coherent argument, you'll elicit coherent arguments in response.

And when you put forward incoherent ramblings presumably based on articles you read but didn't fully comprehend, then you'll elicit the appropriate responses, which will naturally be descriptive of the nature of your posts, rather than addressing the content, because there is no meaningful content to address.

That's nothing to do with how 'woke' or not the people responding are. It's entirely to do with their ability to recognise nonsense when they see it.

You want better responses? Make better posts.

PTSD is not psychobabble. DO you have an argument?
    PTSD isn't psychobabble, but your analysis is. But arguing with you is pointless because your shtick has been the same since you started posting here. Your self-awareness is completely non-existent and you belittle everyone's intelligence here by calling them woke, and their arguments strawman, anecdotal, or leftist. Then when people start doing drive-bys instead of engaging with you, your hypocrisy becomes quite transparent by saying stuff like "do you have an argument" after it's been made only to be ignored. So, no, I'm not playing the game by your rules.

:freak7:

@DaveXA is, accurately, pointing out that you don't have an argument and that what you're offering is ignorant psychobabble. Which, here, is an accurate description, rather than an insult.

I mean, it's not complicated. When you put forward a coherent argument, you'll elicit coherent arguments in response.

And when you put forward incoherent ramblings presumably based on articles you read but didn't fully comprehend, then you'll elicit the appropriate responses, which will naturally be descriptive of the nature of your posts, rather than addressing the content, because there is no meaningful content to address.

That's nothing to do with how 'woke' or not the people responding are. It's entirely to do with their ability to recognise nonsense when they see it.

You want better responses? Make better posts.
    Beyond the outright obvious bigotry and racism, it's the authoritative way with which he states things. We have a litany of intelligent, thoughtful, bright, experienced and wise collection of posters, whom are persons of color, that are highly qualified to speak about their experience and perspective about being Black in America. And the kicker is, we aren't a monolith. So there shouldn't be any fear of getting responses from an echo chamber of similar ideologies.

And, yet, my entire life of experiences, the wealth of information that is my American story is boiled down to "my amygdala has been activated to a perpetual state of PTSD, that can't be shutoff, due to prior acts of racism." If it wasn't so comical and clownish it would be infuriating.

PTSD isn't psychobabble, but your analysis is. But arguing with you is pointless because your shtick has been the same since you started posting here. Your self-awareness is completely non-existent and you belittle everyone's intelligence here by calling them woke, and their arguments strawman, anecdotal, or leftist. Then when people start doing drive-bys instead of engaging with you, your hypocrisy becomes quite transparent by saying stuff like "do you have an argument" after it's been made only to be ignored. So, no, I'm not playing the game by your rules.

Don’t forget questioning peoples integrity by accusing them of making shirt up. Throw him on ignore, it’s a better place. Promise.

Don’t forget questioning peoples integrity by accusing them of making shirt up. Throw him on ignore, it’s a better place. Promise.
    He’s such an easy punching bag, though.

PTSD due to racism is well documented and it may explain why the customers went into battle mode when confronted at the restaurant. This is not psychobabble. The amygdala volume goes up in PTSD.

The amygdala is perhaps the most strongly implicated brain structure in the pathophysiology of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). The volume is reported to change with PTSD.

The way you're using it, sure seems like a pejorative.
    Ok, you may have a point. I am trying to emphasize wokeness. I assume too much woke is not a good thing. Other than that I have said nothing derogatory. I will use the word “ left” instead of woke.

l also admit i post things that bother people on the left. They often see an argument they do not like as an insult.

Ok, you may have a point. I am trying to emphasize wokeness. I assume too much woke is not a good thing. Other than that I have said nothing derogatory. I will use the word “ left” instead of woke.

l also admit i post things that bother people on the left. They often see an argument they do not like as an insult.
    The word isn't the problem. It's your intent. Your intent seems to be that whatever you emphasize like you're doing with woke is to try and imply that there's something inherently wrong with it. And you're also using the word as a weapon to try and "win" an argument.

You post things that bother people period because a lot of what you're saying is either outright untrue or mischaracterized. Like the education discussion. Your arguments are flawed because you make invalid assumptions and comparisons about the education system. People have tried to reason with you to no avail because you refuse to acknowledge that you may be wrong about your assumptions.

And I just don't feel like you're making good faith arguments here. It's like you summarily dismiss the possibility that people who have a different opinion from you might be onto something. That, and the know it all approach to these discussions is old and tiresome.

PTSD due to racism is well documented and it may explain why the customers went into battle mode when confronted at the restaurant. This is not psychobabble. The amygdala volume goes up in PTSD.

The amygdala is perhaps the most strongly implicated brain structure in the pathophysiology of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). The volume is reported to change with PTSD.

No.

You fundamentally seem to misunderstand how posting sources work. The idea is you link to a source which supports the claim you're making. This involves reading and comprehending the source. In this case, as in others, you clearly haven't understood either of the sources you've linked to, and the claims you're making are a shallow mockery of reality, or "ignorant psychobabble" to put it another way.

In the first instance, your link states that "racial discrimination has been implicated as an exacerbating factor in the development and maintenance of PTSD". What it's showing is that in people exposed to trauma (e.g. "physical assault, sexual assault, natural disasters, etc.") who have symptoms of PTSD, there is an indirect association between exposure to racial discrimination and how bad their symptoms are. The study is showing an association between exposure to racial discrimination and PTSD symptoms following other trauma.

The findings from the study are things like "clinicians should acknowledge that racism exists", and "be particularly attentive to the multiple ways racial discrimination can play a functional role in the symptoms experienced by African American clients as well as how racial discrimination may play a role in the therapeutic relationships with clients."

But the findings of the study are not, and I cannot stress this enough, that "Many American blacks have PTSD due to previous racism and once the amygdala gets turned on there is no turning back". That is ignorant psychobabble. And it's also racist.

As for the second link, good grief. First you claimed that 'The amygdala volume goes up in PTSD', and the study you've linked finds that "Smaller volume was demonstrated in the PTSD compared to non-PTSD groups for the left amygdala (p = .002), right amygdala (p = .01)", and secondly you claim that it's "reported to change with PTSD", and the study does not find that, it finds an association between smaller amygdala volume and PTSD, but as it notes, it doesn't find a "correlation between trauma load or illness chronicity and amygdala volume ", which could suggest "either a smaller amygdala represents a vulnerability to developing PTSD, or the lack of a dose-response relationship with amygdala volume." That is, it's a study showing an association, not a causation.

You clearly and demonstrably have not read and understood the papers you're linking to. And you clearly and demonstrably do not understand what you're talking about.

That's not to say there aren't valid discussions to be had about the impact of racism on mental health, and the differences between PTSD and racial trauma.

But when you're a racist bigot who confuses 'smaller' and 'bigger' and can't understand the difference between association and causation, you have nothing to offer such discussions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom