Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights per draft opinion (Update: Dobbs opinion official) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Brennan77

Reaction score
    I'm what most might consider to be religious, and I'm certainly not nodding my head in agreement. Maybe I'm not religious like they are though, idk.
    Dave,
    From what I can tell based on your posts here, you actually live your values. There is a considerable difference between those like you and the other so-called Christians.

The incel population will only continue to grow. We'll probably have even more mass shootings and insurrection attempts as a result of this Dobbs decision.
    Exactly. Young women are being pushed into celibacy.

I just heard a commercial today bragging about Ohio and what a great place it is to live. Good luck with that, Ohio, lol.

It sucks if you're stuck in a red state. I just bought a house at the end of last year here in San Antonio and all I think about now is that I would love to move out of Texas. I love my house, don't have any issues with my neighbors/neighborhood, have been employed by my job for 19 years now, have good friends here and generally like San Antonio. I don't really have a specific personal reason to move, but I just don't know how much longer I can live in this state and feel secure. It feels like the state government, which I support through my taxes, is out to target me and people/families like mine that don't ascribe to Christian fundamentalism. Being that we're in an urban city, there is a sense of separation/protection from the state government, but that has eroded considerably during the Trump years.

If I were a young woman, sex would suddenly feel a lot less safe to me. I know that would seem to be a good thing for some on this board, but it’s really not. It’s good if you want to be sexually inhibited. I guess that’s one of the “benefits” according to some. Sexually repressed females. Great.

If I were a young woman, sex would suddenly feel a lot less safe to me. I know that would seem to be a good thing for some on this board, but it’s really not. It’s good if you want to be sexually inhibited. I guess that’s one of the “benefits” according to some. Sexually repressed females. Great.
    Actually, nevermind, when I read "Dobbs decision" I was thinking of something else not realizing the abortion case is being dubbed the Dobbs decision. I see the connection now.

This guy had better be careful or some of those children will challenge him in future primaries.

The GOP is slowly turning America into the true "____hole" country. The rest of the world -- with the exception of hyper fundamentalist countries like Brazil -- is aghast.

It sucks if you're stuck in a red state. I just bought a house at the end of last year here in San Antonio and all I think about now is that I would love to move out of Texas. I love my house, don't have any issues with my neighbors/neighborhood, have been employed by my job for 19 years now, have good friends here and generally like San Antonio. I don't really have a specific personal reason to move, but I just don't know how much longer I can live in this state and feel secure. It feels like the state government, which I support through my taxes, is out to target me and people/families like mine that don't ascribe to Christian fundamentalism. Being that we're in an urban city, there is a sense of separation/protection from the state government, but that has eroded considerably during the Trump years.

I've been seriously thinking about Vermont or coastal Maine these past few years. Their 75%+ vaccination rate is appealing, and yet.. I just don't know about the winters there. If all else fails we can move with DaveXA when he finally gets fed up with the way the country is going and moves to South Korea

This is the problem. We haves activist radical justices that Trump put on the Court and this guy who has become radicalized:

I've been seriously thinking about Vermont or coastal Maine these past few years. Their 75%+ vaccination rate is appealing, and yet.. I just don't know about the winters there. If all else fails we can move with DaveXA when he finally gets fed up with the way the country is going and moves to South Korea

As someone who has lived through Midwest winters, I have thought seriously about moving to Washington. It has very mild winters, no state income tax, and is socially liberal.

Coastal Maine is beautiful if you get up far enough to where it's rocky with cliffs. I'm particularly partial to that area. You will get a real winter though, not too severe, but I wouldn't call it mild either.

Good article
    ===========
    With its ruling last week to retract federal abortion rights, the Supreme Court essentially declared it won’t protect Americans from a powerful minority who insist their God gets to make the rules for everyone.

This week, it declared it will not protect students from the coercion inherent in official-led prayers to that same God.

How do we fight the growing power of the Christian right?

One way is with other religions. A Florida synagogue recently sued the state over its abortion ban, arguing, in effect, that its God has different rules. (In questions of abortion, Jewish law prioritizes the woman’s life and well-being.)

It's gratifying to watch Jews take on this legal battle, daring the courts to say out loud that one religious perspective deserves more protection than another.

But even if that works, it would mean that every time the Christian right tries to force the rest of us to live by their God’s rules, we’d have to find another Certified Religious Group to fight back. Okay, listen up: Whose God specifically endorses same-sex marriage? Can anyone cite scripture sanctifying contraception?

We shouldn’t have to use one God to fight another God. We shouldn’t have to be religious to be free. What we need — and what our Constitution conveniently provides for — is freedom from all gods.

So how do we get there, living, as we do, in an unusually religious nation? Maybe the atheists can help.

According to a recent Gallup poll, we’re already getting closer: Only 81 percent of Americans say they believe in God — a new low. It was 87 percent just five years ago.

In seeking a theory to explain the trend, Religion News Service found what I consider to be a hopeful notion:

‘“It could be that the increase in the number of atheists is a direct result of Christian nationalism,” said Ryan Cragun, a sociologist studying the nonreligious at the University of Tampa.

“They seem to be dominating the rhetoric. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is legitimately backlash against it and people saying, ‘You know what? I’m an atheist.'"

Backlash! Great idea! Atheists: Let’s lash back against Christian nationalism — and quick…..

Some people work up a good backlash using bogeymen and lies.

They invent a completely fictional world of child grooming, elementary-school CRT classes and sports teams overrun by transgender girls.

For our backlash, we don’t need to make anything up.

To demonstrate the looming threat of theocracy, we can (as atheists tend to do) stick to the evidence: actual laws passed, platforms approved and rulings handed down……..

Good article
    ===========
    With its ruling last week to retract federal abortion rights, the Supreme Court essentially declared it won’t protect Americans from a powerful minority who insist their God gets to make the rules for everyone.

This week, it declared it will not protect students from the coercion inherent in official-led prayers to that same God.

How do we fight the growing power of the Christian right?

One way is with other religions. A Florida synagogue recently sued the state over its abortion ban, arguing, in effect, that its God has different rules. (In questions of abortion, Jewish law prioritizes the woman’s life and well-being.)

It's gratifying to watch Jews take on this legal battle, daring the courts to say out loud that one religious perspective deserves more protection than another.

But even if that works, it would mean that every time the Christian right tries to force the rest of us to live by their God’s rules, we’d have to find another Certified Religious Group to fight back. Okay, listen up: Whose God specifically endorses same-sex marriage? Can anyone cite scripture sanctifying contraception?

We shouldn’t have to use one God to fight another God. We shouldn’t have to be religious to be free. What we need — and what our Constitution conveniently provides for — is freedom from all gods.

So how do we get there, living, as we do, in an unusually religious nation? Maybe the atheists can help.

According to a recent Gallup poll, we’re already getting closer: Only 81 percent of Americans say they believe in God — a new low. It was 87 percent just five years ago.

In seeking a theory to explain the trend, Religion News Service found what I consider to be a hopeful notion:

‘“It could be that the increase in the number of atheists is a direct result of Christian nationalism,” said Ryan Cragun, a sociologist studying the nonreligious at the University of Tampa.

“They seem to be dominating the rhetoric. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is legitimately backlash against it and people saying, ‘You know what? I’m an atheist.'"

Backlash! Great idea! Atheists: Let’s lash back against Christian nationalism — and quick…..

Some people work up a good backlash using bogeymen and lies.

They invent a completely fictional world of child grooming, elementary-school CRT classes and sports teams overrun by transgender girls.

For our backlash, we don’t need to make anything up.

To demonstrate the looming threat of theocracy, we can (as atheists tend to do) stick to the evidence: actual laws passed, platforms approved and rulings handed down……..

Just throwing this out there, but if the SCOTUS rules something that's seemingly in favor of a religion, people and other religions need to exploit the heck out of those provisions and show that everyone has the same rights. If a coach can't be prohibited from praying after football games, he can say a Hindu prayer or whatever.

Same with any other ruling. We're not a theocracy nor a dictatorship. Everyone should get equal treatment.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom