Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights per draft opinion (Update: Dobbs opinion official) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Not long ago Kari Lake proclaimed Arizona's abortion law was a great law and wanted it the law of the state.

Now that she has gotten her way, she is lobbying for it to be repealed.

As I have been saying since 2022, the overwhelming vast majority of women aren't going to vote for the man who proudly boasts that he got rid of Roe V. Wade. Nor are those women going to vote for a forced birther politician.

Turns out, republican belief in "pro life" was all just lies to get votes. Who is surprised? I sure am not.

How many forced birthers will do the same about face?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/ka ... r-BB1ltx3I.

Arizona Republican Senate candidate Kari Lake is actively lobbying state lawmakers to overturn a 160-year-old law she once supported that bans abortion in almost all cases, a source with knowledge of her efforts told CNN.

More insanity from Missouri: we could take a simple step to prevent pregnancy from a rape, but we won’t do it.

It's simply outrageous. All of this. America is being dragged back in time because of mythology and an archaic understanding of the world, and the grip that holds on people who can't or won't think critically. "The Bible says..." We are at the mercy of ignorance and brainwashing.

Last edited:
    Interesting
    ==========
    A state health officer in Mississippi found himself with his name set to be forever associated with the overturning of Roe v Wade on Friday and is now trying to disassociate himself from the ruling.

Thomas Dobbs is the State Health Officer in charge of Mississippi’s Department of Health, a position he has had since 2018. That was the same year that Republicans in the state legislature worked to pass a restrictive 15-week abortion ban, which at the time could not go into effect due to the Roe precedent.

But it was that legal challenge of Mississippi’s law that made it all the way to the Supreme Court this year, when six justices on the Court’s conservative majority voted to uphold it and the Court struck down Roe vs Wade, ending decades of legal protection for abortions before fetal viability.

Mr Dobbs was named in the case due to his position as head of the agency in charge of inspecting clinics across the state; he himself was not involved in the law’s passage.

And in an interview with NPR, he described his attribution with the case as “just a quirk” of state law.

“Actually, that law passed before I was even in this job,” he told the news outlet. “Honestly, I have nothing to do with it.”……..

Interesting
    ==========
    A state health officer in Mississippi found himself with his name set to be forever associated with the overturning of Roe v Wade on Friday and is now trying to disassociate himself from the ruling.

Thomas Dobbs is the State Health Officer in charge of Mississippi’s Department of Health, a position he has had since 2018. That was the same year that Republicans in the state legislature worked to pass a restrictive 15-week abortion ban, which at the time could not go into effect due to the Roe precedent.

But it was that legal challenge of Mississippi’s law that made it all the way to the Supreme Court this year, when six justices on the Court’s conservative majority voted to uphold it and the Court struck down Roe vs Wade, ending decades of legal protection for abortions before fetal viability.

Mr Dobbs was named in the case due to his position as head of the agency in charge of inspecting clinics across the state; he himself was not involved in the law’s passage.

And in an interview with NPR, he described his attribution with the case as “just a quirk” of state law.

“Actually, that law passed before I was even in this job,” he told the news outlet. “Honestly, I have nothing to do with it.”……..
    I’m actually glad to hear this. Dobbs was a generally consistent voice of sound medical advice during the pandemic, even as Tate Reeves pushed nonsense at times. I was shocked when I saw his name attached to the decision, but this makes much more sense.

I’m actually glad to hear this. Dobbs was a generally consistent voice of sound medical advice during the pandemic, even as Tate Reeves pushed nonsense at times. I was shocked when I saw his name attached to the decision, but this makes much more sense.
    I’d be furious if my name was attached to this, on nothing more than a technicality or quirk of the system

I have seen multiple reports of that.

Also this - based on Missouri's abortion prohibition law, OB's literally have to wait until the mother's life is being actually threatened before treating a condition that the fetus never survives anyway.

So, how many have to die or get near death before lawsuits roll in? I mean, this is stupid. Once the condition is known, it should be treated.

Sir, you're having a heart attack, but we're going to wait to see if naturally pull through before we start to treat you.

Ma'am, you have cancer. But we can't treat it, until it makes you really really sick, or it's full blown stage 4.

Last edited:
    No, I'm kind of done with removing emotions from my arguments. I'm pretty angry.

Sure, the GOP just reacts to it. LOL. Come on @SystemShock. Remind me again what all legislation Democrats have been pushing to advance trans people rights? Bathroom bills from 6 years ago. Anything else?

I didn't say the Democrats are pushing legislation. I said the GOP reacts to the focus that the Democrats put on certain issues. The Democrats talk a lot, the GOP reacts to the talk with actions. So when the Dems start flapping their yaps and the only action they take afterwards is patting themselves on the back for their wokeness, the GOP gets busy gerrymandering districts, obstructing SC appointments, and enacting laws.

How the hell do people think this is ok? If I was religious, I would be ashamed of these lunatics. However, I never see anyone step up and call these crazies out!
    On the contrary... if you were religious like they are, you'll be nodding your head in agreement.

Has a state ever made a law that says a citizen can’t travel to do/buy what’s legal there but not in their state of residence before?
    ========================

Several national antiabortion groups and their allies in Republican-led state legislatures are advancing plans to stop people in states where abortion is banned from seeking the procedure elsewhere, according to people involved in the discussions.

The idea has gained momentum in some corners of the antiabortion movement in the days since the Supreme Court struck down its 49-year-old precedent protecting abortion rights nationwide, triggering abortion bans across much of the Southeast and Midwest.

The Thomas More Society, a conservative legal organization, is drafting model legislation for state lawmakers that would allow private citizens to sue anyone who helps a resident of a state that has banned abortion from terminating a pregnancy outside of that state.

The draft language will borrow from the novel legal strategy behind a Texas abortion ban enacted last year in which private citizens were empowered to enforce the law through civil litigation.

The subject was much discussed at two national antiabortion conferences last weekend, with several lawmakers interested in introducing these kinds of bills in their own states.

The National Association of Christian Lawmakers, an antiabortion organization led by Republican state legislators, has begun working with the authors of the Texas abortion ban to explore model legislation that would restrict people from crossing state lines for abortions, said Texas state representative Tom Oliverson (R), the charter chair of the group’s national legislative council.

“Just because you jump across a state line doesn’t mean your home state doesn’t have jurisdiction,” said Peter Breen, vice president and senior counsel for the Thomas More Society. “It’s not a free abortion card when you drive across the state line.”

The Biden Justice Department has already warned states that it would fight such laws, saying they violate the right to interstate commerce…….

Last edited:
    I don’t see how any of these states could enforce such laws.

it would mean two things: they would have to be willing to put rape and incest victims, some of them children, in jail. And it would be analogous to this

Last edited:
    Effecting the dating world
    ====================

…..In the wake of the Dobbs decision, others are having those conversations earlier in the dating process than they used to.

Rachel Chaggaris, a 25-year-old structural engineer in Denver, matched with a few men on the dating app Hinge soon after the decision was handed down on Friday. They all asked a version of the same question: What was she up to that weekend?

She gave them all a similar response, she said: She was going to a protest for abortion rights and then to a Pride event. Doing so, Chaggaris said, was a “convenient” way to gauge their reactions.

Two men didn’t reply, she said, and one replied enthusiastically about those plans.
“I need to date someone who views me as a human that’s equal to them,” Chaggaris said.

While she has always aimed to date liberal men, “it’s definitely just become far more important since Roe being overturned,” she said. And if abortion doesn’t come up in her dating app chats, “by the second or third date, I’m definitely going to try to bring it up somehow,” she added…..

The dating app OkCupid made that easier last fall: After Texas’s abortion law took effect, the app introduced a “pro-choice” badge users could add to their profiles.

More than 450,000 app users within the United States have added the badge to their profiles, according to a spokesperson, who added that this month there was an 80 percent increase in OkCupid users who mentioned being “pro choice” in their profiles compared with April……

I didn't say the Democrats are pushing legislation. I said the GOP reacts to the focus that the Democrats put on certain issues. The Democrats talk a lot, the GOP reacts to the talk with actions. So when the Dems start flapping their yaps and the only action they take afterwards is patting themselves on the back for their wokeness, the GOP gets busy gerrymandering districts, obstructing SC appointments, and enacting laws.

"The Democrats" aren't some unified coalition with one voice. I mean, that's obvious to anybody with eyes and ears. You're never going to get all of the groups that the Democrat's generally represent to not advocate for what they care the most about. So if the problem with Democrats is just talking about wokeness (or progress, or whatever), then that is never going to change because you're not going to get those groups to stop advocating for the reason they exist.

But I think your post perfectly illustrates the problem with our country, because it's true. Democrats talk about wanting a more diverse, inclusive and progressive society (wokeness) that is forward looking. Republicans fear change and act to prevent it, many time with actual malice towards the targeted group. And the American public, that is largely fearful/suspicious of change and anything that upsets the public balance of power between groups, tends to give a huge benefit of the doubt to Republicans fear/anger. That leads to the Republicans staying in and gaining power even when they've proven how corrupt as a party they are and that they can't even be trusted to protect the basic tenants of democracy.

Last edited:
    Effecting the dating world
    ====================

…..In the wake of the Dobbs decision, others are having those conversations earlier in the dating process than they used to.

Rachel Chaggaris, a 25-year-old structural engineer in Denver, matched with a few men on the dating app Hinge soon after the decision was handed down on Friday. They all asked a version of the same question: What was she up to that weekend?

She gave them all a similar response, she said: She was going to a protest for abortion rights and then to a Pride event. Doing so, Chaggaris said, was a “convenient” way to gauge their reactions.

Two men didn’t reply, she said, and one replied enthusiastically about those plans.
“I need to date someone who views me as a human that’s equal to them,” Chaggaris said.

While she has always aimed to date liberal men, “it’s definitely just become far more important since Roe being overturned,” she said. And if abortion doesn’t come up in her dating app chats, “by the second or third date, I’m definitely going to try to bring it up somehow,” she added…..

The dating app OkCupid made that easier last fall: After Texas’s abortion law took effect, the app introduced a “pro-choice” badge users could add to their profiles.

More than 450,000 app users within the United States have added the badge to their profiles, according to a spokesperson, who added that this month there was an 80 percent increase in OkCupid users who mentioned being “pro choice” in their profiles compared with April……

The incel population will only continue to grow. We'll probably have even more mass shootings and insurrection attempts as a result of this Dobbs decision.

But I think your post perfectly illustrates the problem with our country, because it's true. Democrats talk about wanting a more diverse, inclusive and progressive society (wokeness) that is forward looking. Republicans fear change and act to prevent it, many time with actual malice towards the targeted group. And the American public, that is largely fearful of change and anything that upsets the public balance of power between groups, tends to give a huge benefit of the doubt to Republicans fear/anger. That leads to the Republicans staying in and gaining power even when they've proven how corrupt as a party they are and that they can't even be trusted to protect the basic tenants of democracy.
    :facts3:

:potd:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom