Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights per draft opinion (Update: Dobbs opinion official) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Not long ago Kari Lake proclaimed Arizona's abortion law was a great law and wanted it the law of the state.

Now that she has gotten her way, she is lobbying for it to be repealed.

As I have been saying since 2022, the overwhelming vast majority of women aren't going to vote for the man who proudly boasts that he got rid of Roe V. Wade. Nor are those women going to vote for a forced birther politician.

Turns out, republican belief in "pro life" was all just lies to get votes. Who is surprised? I sure am not.

How many forced birthers will do the same about face?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/ka ... r-BB1ltx3I.

Arizona Republican Senate candidate Kari Lake is actively lobbying state lawmakers to overturn a 160-year-old law she once supported that bans abortion in almost all cases, a source with knowledge of her efforts told CNN.

It’s a strange moment to be an American feminist who cares deeply about women’s rights beyond her own country’s borders.

On one hand, there is so much to be heartened by: expansions of women’s rights in much of the world, feminist protests galvanizing women across continents, abortion rights on the rise, necessary attention paid to the particular price paid by women in conflict. And then there is our own country, one of the very few where abortion rights have been radically scaled back rather than expanded, where anti-feminist movements are quickly racking up (often unpopular) wins and broadening their efforts to wind back women’s progress and where a large chunk of the electorate is eager to put a notoriously sexist man found liable for sexual abuse back into the highest office in the land.

The news that the French National Assembly has passed a bill that would enshrine abortion rights in the country’s constitution evokes mixed emotions. If the French bill is approved by the senate and then adopted, France will be the first country on earth to include the right to abortion in its constitution, a vanguard moment in feminist history and a potential model for other nations that want to protect women’s rights. But this hopefully forthcoming French feminist victory is borne from an American loss: The push to enshrine abortion rights in the French constitution came precisely because the US Supreme Court ruled that abortion is not a right guaranteed by ours.

“It was a wake-up call for everyone,” French Senator Mélanie Vogel told CNN in December. “We don’t want to wake up like American women… with this right being taken from us.”

Conservatives in France sing a very different tune than those in the US, arguing that a constitutional right to abortion is unnecessary because abortion is not a hotly contested issue in France. But French feminists know better: They see rising right-wing movements around the world and understand how quickly circumstances can change.

Just look at the US: Yes, abortion has been a hotly-contested issue ever since the Evangelical right pivoted from focusing on enforcing racial segregation to focusing on outlawing abortion and enforcing gender traditionalism, but abortion rights went before the Supreme Court many times over and Roe v. Wade, the 1973 Supreme Court decision recognizing abortion as a fundamental right, was always upheld — until, after nearly 50 years, it wasn’t. And American abortion opponents haven’t stopped at a single Supreme Court victory. They are working hard to put former President Donald Trump back in office in the hope that he can set in motion an expansive plan to curtail abortion access nationwide.

The fact that abortion rights have expanded in many of the same places where human rights norms are being increasingly recognized and democratic governance has taken root is not a coincidence — and neither is the fact that the minority of countries in which abortion rights have been curtailed are also places where authoritarianism tends to be on the rise, human rights on the retreat and democracy in free fall. French feminists fighting for abortion rights are working to secure a necessary right for women’s freedom and bodily autonomy, but they’re also taking an important step to protect their nation’s democratic character and what will hopefully be its free, equal and rights-affirming future.

If only the US would do the same.

Unfortunately, a constitutional amendment guaranteeing abortion rights would be all but impossible in America – not because voters wouldn’t support it, but because of the Republican stranglehold on so many state legislatures. The Biden administration has, over the years, made noises about codifying Roe v. Wade, but they currently lack the votes to do so, and still may not have them even if Biden wins in 2024..............

The fertility rate for teens in Texas rose for the first time in 15 years in 2022, a shift driven by disproportionately high rates seen among Hispanic teens in the year after a six-week state abortion ban took effect, according to a University of Houston study.

Latinas of all ages also experienced the biggest increase in births and fertility rates compared to other racial or ethnic group in the state from 2021 to 2022, according to the study released last week by University of Houston’s Institute for Research on Women, Gender & Sexuality.

Texas women delivered 16,147 more babies in 2022 than in 2021. Of those, 13,503 babies, or 84%, were delivered by Latinas, according to the study.

Additionally, the average fertility rate — the number of children born per 1,000 women — rose 5.1% among Latinas, compared to falling .2% for non-Hispanic white women and .6% for Black women. Among Latinas 25 and older, fertility rates rose 8%.

The state’s overall fertility rate rose for the first time since 2014, by 2%.

Texas’ teen birth rate increased slightly overall, while the U.S. teen birth rate continued to remain steady. Hispanic, Asian and Black teens all saw varying increases in their birth rates, while non-Hispanic whites continued to see declines.

Among Texas’ Hispanic teens, the rate rose 1.2%, or an increase from 27.22 to 27.56 births per 1,000. But for non-Hispanic white teens, the fertility rate fell 5%, from 11.71 births to 11.13 births per 1,000. The fertility rates for Black teens rose by .5% or 22.29 to 22.41. For Asian teens, birth rates rose by 8.2%, a larger ratio because of smaller numbers, 1.42 births to 1.58 births per 1,000.

The study states that the numbers suggest that while other racial and ethnic groups of women may have been affected by the state’s abortion ban, Hispanic women faced more challenges in getting reproductive care, including abortions.
    This is very worrying. White people are being outbred by Hispanics. Soon Texas will be majority brown.

Last edited:
    The country isn't white to start off with, it's always had a mixed population. Presumably you mean majority white. And why do you want it to be majority white?
    I have my reasons.

Now it's my turn to ask you questions. Are you white yourself? Why aren't you worried about your country turning majority brown?

You talk like I am on trial.
    Rather, you're acting like you're guilty. If someone says "I'm worried about X", or "I want Y", it's completely normal to be asked, "Why is that?" Especially on a discussion forum.

It's not normal to act really shifty about it. People generally only do that when they don't have an answer, or they're ashamed of the answer they'd give.

I don't need to explain sh*t to you, sir. The fact I want US to stay white is all that you need to know.
    I don't need to know anything about you at all, but the purpose of a discussion forum is to discuss.

So go ahead, what are those reasons?

Rather, you're acting like you're guilty. If someone says "I'm worried about X", or "I want Y", it's completely normal to be asked, "Why is that?" Especially on a discussion forum.

It's not normal to act really shifty about it. People generally only do that when they don't have an answer, or they're ashamed of the answer they'd give.
    Except I am not acting shifty. I don't act like I am guilty, either. I want US to stay white, and I am not afraid to say this in public.
    I don't need to know anything about you at all, but the purpose of a discussion forum is to discuss.

So go ahead, what are those reasons?
    I get to choose what I want to discuss. And I chose not to tell you my reasons. Now go cry even harder.

My question for you: why do you act like you are interrogating me?

I have my reasons.

Now it's my turn to ask you questions. Are you white yourself? Why aren't you worried about your country turning majority brown?
    Despite the fact you didn't ask me, I will answer.

Yes I am white, and can trace my ancestors back to the beginning - we settled eventually in OhIo and Missouri. They were Christian. German decent. We have fought for the Union in every conflict since the traitorous losers got their arse kicked in 1865. My father is a Ret Lt. Col. in the USAF. We are the quintessential lineage the incels talk about.

I am embarrassed to be associated with you in any way.

First, we have never been a white country, the stats that incorrectly try to make this point exclude Indigenous People and slaves. Which is kind of dumb.

Secondly, I wouldn't want a white America, no. Not even a little bit. What I want is more intelligent, humanistic Americans. And you ain't it. You are what is wrong with this country and planet. Supremacists should see the same fate as their loser ancestors. Quick question- for the superior race, we/you sure do get our/your arse kicked in every conflict. That is kinda hilarious don't you think?

Thirdly, because your skin lacks melanin you think you are somehow superior? Why?

And finally, because you aren't worth my time, I find it always hysterical when a white person wants the brown people to go. You know, the ones that were here first. You are complaining over stolen land, and expecting to be taken seriously? Sad.

Last edited:
    Despite the fact you didn't ask me, I will answer.

Yes I am white, and can trace my ancestors back to the beginning - we settled eventually in OhIo and Missouri. They were Christian. German decent. We have fought for the Union in every conflict since the traitorous losers got their arse kicked in 1865. My father is a Ret Lt. Col. in the USAF. We are the quintessential lineage the incels talk about.

I am embarrassed to be associated with you in any way.

First, we have never been a white country, the stats that incorrectly try to make this point exclude Indigenous People and slaves. Which is kind of dumb.

Secondly, I wouldn't want a white America, no. Not even a little bit. What I want is more intelligent, humanistic Americana. And you ain't it. You are what is wrong with this country and planet. Supremacists should see the same fate as their loser ancestors. Quick question- for the superior race, we/you sure do get our/your arse kicked in every conflict. That is kinda hilarious don't you think?

Thirdly, because your skin lacks melanin you think you are somehow superior? Why?

And finally, because you aren't worth my time, I find it always hysterical when a white person wants the brown people to go. You know, the ones that were here first. You are complaining over stolen land, and expecting to be taken seriously? Sad.
    I am actually Asian. Did that just shatter your entire, "I am white but I hate white people" world?

It says you live in BC.

Wait, are you Andy Ngo?

Have you ever admitted you were full of shirt about getting hit with a concrete milkshake in my city? We will never let you back, you aren't welcome here.

And if you are I may or may not have punched you in the face.

Except I am not acting shifty. I don't act like I am guilty, either. I want US to stay white, and I am not afraid to say this in public.
    Saying you think something but then refusing to say why is acting shifty.

I get to choose what I want to discuss. And I chose not to tell you my reasons. Now go cry even harder.
    You're not very good at this discussion forum thing are you?

My question for you: why do you act like you are interrogating me?
    I'm replying to your posts on a discussion forum. The fact that you think that's an interrogation brings us back to the acting shifty thing.

So why are you afraid to tell us your reasons? Ashamed of them?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom