/* */

Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights per draft opinion (Update: Dobbs opinion official) (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Not long ago Kari Lake proclaimed Arizona's abortion law was a great law and wanted it the law of the state.

Now that she has gotten her way, she is lobbying for it to be repealed.

As I have been saying since 2022, the overwhelming vast majority of women aren't going to vote for the man who proudly boasts that he got rid of Roe V. Wade. Nor are those women going to vote for a forced birther politician.

Turns out, republican belief in "pro life" was all just lies to get votes. Who is surprised? I sure am not.

How many forced birthers will do the same about face?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/ka ... r-BB1ltx3I.

Arizona Republican Senate candidate Kari Lake is actively lobbying state lawmakers to overturn a 160-year-old law she once supported that bans abortion in almost all cases, a source with knowledge of her efforts told CNN.

Too bad the overly Christian OP only came here to make this post then left. Wonder what @Brennan77 has to say about this situation in Texas, and other similar situations across the U.S.

But hey, this is what the good people of Texas vote for every chance they get.

Someone on Twitter made a point about the insane TX abortion law - even if she goes to another state, when she gets back home anyone could sue her husband, parents or anyone else who helped her get her abortion. That’s how the bounty works. So even going out of state to get the care she needs is a big problem.

I also read that the particular genetic abnormality in her case often causes spontaneous miscarriages which is where the danger comes in. Later term miscarriages often result in hemorrhaging which could threaten her life or her future fertility, because once a huge hemorrhage starts doctors often have no choice but to perform an emergency hysterectomy.

The really insane thing is that nobody would ever force someone to have an abortion. For those women who are extreme about abortion, they could choose to roll the dice and live with the consequences in this exact situation. What these forkers are doing is telling all women they must abide by their extreme views no matter what the risk is. Let her decide on her own situation.

The Texas attorney general, Ken Paxton, has threatened to prosecute any doctor who provides an abortion to Kate Cox, a woman with a non-viable pregnancy, advising hospitals to ignore a court order issued on Thursday allowing her to get the procedure.

The rightwing Paxton issued the warning to three Houston-area hospitals after a Texas judge ruled this week that Cox, a pregnant woman with a lethal fetal diagnosis, may obtain an abortion under the narrow medical exceptions offered by the state bans.

In a brazen dismissal of the court’s decision, Paxton wrote that the judge’s order “will not insulate hospitals, doctors or anyone else from civil and criminal liability”.

Paxton also wrote that the hospital where Cox obtains an abortion “may be liable for negligent credentialing the physician” who performs the procedure.……..

I'll just say it.....[Mod Edit :nono: Seek a higher level of discourse]....

Last edited by a moderator:
    A woman whose fetus was unlikely to survive called more than a dozen abortion clinics before finding one that would take her, only to be put on weekslong waiting lists.

A teen waited seven weeks for an abortion because it took her mother that long to get her an appointment. Others seeking the procedure faced waits because they struggled to travel hundreds of miles for care.

Such obstacles have grown more common since Roe v. Wade was overturned in June 2022, doctors and researchers say, causing delays that can lead to abortions that are more complex, costly and in some cases riskier — especially as pregnancies get further along.

About half of U.S. states now have laws that ban or restrict access to abortion. Because of that, many clinics don’t offer the procedure, which has increased demand for appointments at the remaining providers.

At various points since Roe, waits in several states stretched for two or three weeks, and some clinics had no available appointments, according to results of a periodic survey spearheaded by Middlebury College economics professor Caitlin Myers and recently provided to The Associated Press.

Doctors and researchers say even as wait times have lessened, people still encounter other challenges, like planning and paying for travel, taking time off work and finding child care.

“All of those things can contribute to delays, and then it kind of becomes like this vicious circle,” said Dr. Daniel Grossman, an OB-GYN at the University of California, San Francisco, who co-authored a research report earlier this year that compiled anecdotes from health care providers after Roe was overturned.

People may miss the window for medication abortions, which are not generally offered past 10 to 11 weeks gestation.

A dwindling number of clinics provide abortions as people move through the second trimester, which begins at 13 or 14 weeks. Costs for the procedure change, too, from up to $800 in the first trimester to $2,000 or more in the second trimester.

“While abortion is safe at all points in pregnancy,” with an overall complication rate of 2%, it “does get more complicated as the pregnancy continues,” said Dr. Colleen McNicholas, chief medical officer at Planned Parenthood of the St. Louis Region. “It does carry additional risks.”………..

What message are women to take from this - other than that they are subservient? Not as…

I’m glad I’m not alone in feeling this.

I bet some people wish that impeachment vote went the other way now
    =================

I strongly support the right to abortion. But I believe that those on the other side are, for the most part, motivated by the sincere belief that abortion is the taking of a human life. And so, I try to write about this contested subject with respect for their views, and for the moral underpinning of their convictions.

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton is an exception. He deserves no such respect, only condemnation for his unnecessary, inexplicable cruelty.

No moral person — no person with true compassion for life — could be launched on Paxton’s current crusade against a Texan named Kate Cox.

Cox is a 31-year-old mother of two, about 20 weeks pregnant with a third, very much wanted. But the fetus has Trisomy 18, a severe genetic disorder.

Some 95 percent of such pregnancies do not make it to term or are stillborn. Half of those born with the condition do not survive beyond the first week; 9 out of 10 die within the first year.

This is worse than heartbreaking; it is dangerous to Cox’s health and future fertility. Because she has had two previous Caesarean sections, Cox would have to have a third C-section because of the risk of uterine rupture.

A repeat procedure would make it more difficult for her to carry a successful pregnancy in the future. Cox’s doctors have advised her and her husband that abortion would be the safest choice to protect her ability to have more children……

Someone on Twitter made a point about the insane TX abortion law - even if she goes to another state, when she gets back home anyone could sue her husband, parents or anyone else who helped her get her abortion. That’s how the bounty works. So even going out of state to get the care she needs is a big problem.

I also read that the particular genetic abnormality in her case often causes spontaneous miscarriages which is where the danger comes in. Later term miscarriages often result in hemorrhaging which could threaten her life or her future fertility, because once a huge hemorrhage starts doctors often have no choice but to perform an emergency hysterectomy.

The really insane thing is that nobody would ever force someone to have an abortion. For those women who are extreme about abortion, they could choose to roll the dice and live with the consequences in this exact situation. What these forkers are doing is telling all women they must abide by their extreme views no matter what the risk is. Let her decide on her own situation.
    There won't be another census until 2030. This means all the Congressional seats and electoral college votes are set in stone until then.
    Texas wants people to leave. It's a conscious effort to drive out all but the True Believers.
    This way the state goes from red-leaning-purple to completely blood red.

Oh, I definitely agree with you. I'm just asking if he can actually threaten to ignore the court order without consequences. I would hope the doctors or whoever is involved in helping this poor woman get this done. Seems like Paxton shouldn't be able to do what he's doing.
    It seems as though Ms. Cox should be able to sue Texas for all of her expenses should she have to leave the state to get the abortion. Furthermore, it should be a class action suit to pay for every woman that has to leave the state for any similar unviable abortion. The question i have is how to collect.

Women who are fertile should definitely not live in Texas. Neither should families with LGBTQ children. It's just not possible for all the people that should move out of the state to do so. And also many people are oblivious to just how dangerous it is for them in this state until it's to late. There's too much propoganda and group thinking in this state and not enough people thinking rationally for themselves. Red states intentionally manufacture these conditions.
    The state was turning blue. It is nearly a purple state, but Texas is trying to run off democratic leaning voters. If many people leave due to intolerant abortion and sexual preference policies, the right-wing wins. I prefer the reverse. I prefer democrats to move there to tip the scale, but that can also be turned into an ad that makes Texas look good, and brings tax revenue. So instead, hopefully these draconian policies will have the affect of creating more democrats, so even though some may leave, the creation of new Democrats may outweigh the exodus.

Last edited:

I would contribute to any go-fund-me to fight any action Texas takes. Furthermore, that law has to be non-constitutional, so I think the courts will throw it out if it gets challenged.

Next up on the Christo-authoritatrian agenda: birth control and covenant marriage. It’s not just Texas. MO is trying to one-up TX. It is MO that has also had a law proposed that will put women in jail for getting abortions.

It was never about “life” or babies. It was always about controlling women. Making sure they are less than men. Always. That’s not to say some on the anti-abortion side were not just as deceived as anyone else. But the men in power who decided to make abortion an issue did it because they didn’t like the idea that women want to be seen as equal to men.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom