Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights per draft opinion (Update: Dobbs opinion official) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Not long ago Kari Lake proclaimed Arizona's abortion law was a great law and wanted it the law of the state.

Now that she has gotten her way, she is lobbying for it to be repealed.

As I have been saying since 2022, the overwhelming vast majority of women aren't going to vote for the man who proudly boasts that he got rid of Roe V. Wade. Nor are those women going to vote for a forced birther politician.

Turns out, republican belief in "pro life" was all just lies to get votes. Who is surprised? I sure am not.

How many forced birthers will do the same about face?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/ka ... r-BB1ltx3I.

Arizona Republican Senate candidate Kari Lake is actively lobbying state lawmakers to overturn a 160-year-old law she once supported that bans abortion in almost all cases, a source with knowledge of her efforts told CNN.

This is so horrible. This woman was sent home from the hospital 2 times. She miscarried into a toilet at home, alone, and is being criminally charged even though the medical examiner said the fetus was deceased before the miscarriage.

This is your future, ladies. It's not fiction. We're not kidding.

You should be rioting. And voting. Especially voting. Your lives and those of your daughters literally depend on it.

People are stupid. Appreciate you bringing attention to this because I don't hear much about it anywhere else.

Way I see it, it's like punishing someone for being human.
    Yes, and the woman is still in pain, still bleeding, possibly heavily. It’s traumatic.

People are stupid. Appreciate you bringing attention to this because I don't hear much about it anywhere else.

Way I see it, it's like punishing someone for being human.
    But they're just women. Subhuman.

Just a flawed babymaking machine.

Miscarrying into a toilet happens to someone in this country literally every day.
    I happened to my mother when I was about 4. I didn't know what was happening, but I remember her and my father leaving for the hospital very heartbroken.

It happened again when I was around 11 to an older cousin while I was at their house. I knew what was happening then.

Miscarriages happen at an alarmingly high rate, especially early in pregnancy, which is why every woman advises other women/couples, who are pregnant for the first time, not to let anyone know they are pregnant for as long as they can.

MIDWAY, Ky. — One month before the governor thanked her for his victory, Hadley Duvall had already won.

Standing in the middle of a football field in mid-October, she looked out at the students of her small Christian university, stunned to be the one wearing the rhinestone tiara. Her classmates could have chosen to honor the student body president or a leading member of the local Bible study.

Instead, they’d picked Hadley, the face of a viral ad about abortion and sexual abuse that had begun airing a month earlier, and would soon help Democrats hold the governor’s mansion in one of the most conservative states in the country.

“They don’t hate me,” Duvall, 21, recalled thinking as she accepted a bouquet of red roses from her college president. “They made me homecoming queen.”

By the night of the football game at Midway University, pretty much everyone sitting on the bleachers knew the secret Duvall had kept for 10 years: She’d been raped throughout childhood by her stepfather, who pleaded guilty to rape, sodomy and sexual abuse, and is now serving 20 years in prison. He started sexually abusing her when she was 5 years old, according to police reports — at first convincing her that his behavior was normal, then holding her down when she finally realized it was not.

Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear’s reelection campaign learned about Duvall because of a Facebook post about her experience she had written on June 25, 2022, the day after the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade. The ruling triggered a near-total abortion ban in Kentucky, one of 12 states with a recently enacted ban that makes no exceptions for rape or incest.

Days after she heard from Beshear’s team, Duvall was sitting in the dining room of a wealthy Beshear supporter she didn’t know, staring into a video camera. She aimed her words directly at the Republican candidate for governor, who for months had thrown his full support behind the current version of Kentucky’s law before conceding late in the campaign that he was open to additional exceptions................

Since Roe fell, voters have overwhelmingly backed abortion rights in each of the seven states where the issue has appeared directly on the ballot, including in conservative Kentucky, Kansas and, most recently, Ohio.

Democrats have had relatively less success translating voters’ frustrations over abortion bans into races that could oust the politicians responsible for them, or prevent the election of other antiabortion leaders.

In Texas, Georgia and Florida, for example, governors who signed abortion bans were reelected by wide margins in 2022, suggesting that voters aren’t necessarily tying antiabortion policies to individual candidates, or aren’t prioritizing the issue when deciding which candidate to support.

Duvall made that connection abundantly clear for Kentucky voters last month. Her ad, viewed online over 3 million times, sparked concerned discussions within the Republican Party, with top national leaders acknowledging the critical role Duvall played in Beshear’s reelection.

“Go look at the ad ran against Daniel Cameron in Kentucky of the young woman who was raped when she was 12 years old by her father,” Ronna McDaniel, chair of the Republican National Committee, said on a recent podcast. The ad clearly contributed to Beshear’s win, McDaniel said, “because we won everything else down ticket in Kentucky.”

Heading into the 2024 presidential election, the resonance of Duvall’s ad offers a new playbook for Democrats, while positioning Duvall herself as a uniquely powerful messenger on abortion, capable of appealing to moderates and conservatives.

“Some people have a stereotype of someone who has to make this kind of choice,” said Duvall’s mother, Jennifer Adkins Miller. “But Hadley is in everybody’s household. She’s everybody’s daughter. She’s everybody’s niece. She’s everybody’s sister.”

Duvall has thought critically about why she, in particular, has been such a persuasive voice on the issue. She expects conservatives wouldn’t have been nearly as open to listening to a Black or Hispanic woman with the same story.

“It’s a sad reality,” she said. “White privilege … I believe that’s a thing, 100 percent.”

She said she’s been called “the all-American girl.”

A senior in college, still working through years of trauma, Duvall knows she could lose her appeal in an instant. As she rushes to class or sits in the stands at a basketball game, she can feel her classmates watching her, she said.............

A pregnant Texas corrections officer had contraction-like pains while she was on the job.

She asked to leave, her Supervisor said that she could not.

By the time she was allowed to leave it was too late.

She subsequently delivered a stillborn baby.

Radical Republicans spend their days and nights saying that life begins at fertilization.

The woman is suing; Texas’ defense is that the fetus didn't have rights.

Hypocrisy at its finest.

Dozens of independently owned reproductive health clinics shuttered in 2023, the year after the US supreme court overturned Roe v Wade, according to a new report from the Abortion Care Network.

The group found that 23 independently owned clinics closed this year, on top of the 42 that shuttered in 2022, leaving over a dozen states, mainly in the American south and midwest, without a single brick-and-mortar clinic that provides abortion.

“Even before Roe fell, we were the only abortion clinic in a very rural, very underserved state with limited access to health care, and now that’s all been exacerbated,” said Katie Quinonez-Alonzo, executive director of Women’s Health Center of West Virginia.

Like most independent clinics in the United States, the Women’s Health Center of West Virginia struggled to keep its doors open after the supreme court decision paved the way for the state to ban abortion last year. The clinic still provides other reproductive and sexual health services, like gender-affirming care for transgender patients.…..

What they are doing is keeping women who need medical abortions later in their pregnancies from getting them. These are the abortions that will save lives or eliminate dangerous pregnancy complications. Early, elective abortions can safely happen at home medically and pills can be sent though the mail. All they are accomplishing is hurting women. And they don’t give a fork.

A Texas woman filed an emergency lawsuit on Tuesday asking a judge to let her terminate her non-viable pregnancy.

The woman recently learned of a lethal fetal diagnosis and her doctors said continuing the pregnancy threatens her life, health and future fertility – but she’s been unable to get an abortion due to Texas’s multiple bans.

It’s the first time since the (now-overturned) Roe v Wade ruling in 1973 that an adult woman has asked a court to authorize an abortion.

According to the complaintfiled in state court, Kate Cox is 20 weeks pregnant and has been to three different emergency rooms in the past month to be evaluated for severe cramping and fluid leaks.

Cox, a 31-year-old mother of two, learned last week that her baby has trisomy 18, a fatal chromosomal condition. Her doctors told her that, because she’s had two previous cesarean sections, she faces a higher risk of uterine rupture and hysterectomy.

Despite there being “virtually no chance that their baby would survive to birth or long afterwards”, she’s been unable to get an abortion.

The complaint states that “because of Texas’s abortion bans, Ms Cox’s physicians have informed her that their ‘hands are tied’ and she will have to wait until her baby dies inside her or carry the pregnancy to term, at which point she will be forced to have a third C-section, only to watch her baby suffer until death”.

Her doctors said that if the baby’s heartbeat stopped, they could induce labor – but they cannot perform an abortion procedure known as dilation and evacuation (D&E). Due to her prior C-sections, inducing labor means she faces a higher risk of rupturing her uterus.

A D&E would be the best medical option for her health, but doctors in the state who might provide it fear prosecution under Texas’s criminal abortion ban.

Cox and her husband, Justin, are asking a judge in Travis county, Texas, to let the couple get a D&E and allow Cox’s OB-GYN, Dr Damla Karsan, to provide that care without the threat of prosecution by the Texas attorney general, Ken Paxton, who is a defendant.……..

After a judge granted the above request for an abortion for this poor woman, this is Paxton’s response. He is slimy and should be in jail.

Seems like he's literally disregarding the TRO by threatening anyone who performs the abortion. I would hope the courts rebuke this and hits him hard if they try interfering.

I'd like to hear what @superchuck500 thinks in terms of whether this is putting some kind of legal roadblock for anyone performing the abortion.

Seems like he's literally disregarding the TRO by threatening anyone who performs the abortion. I would hope the courts rebuke this and hits him hard if they try interfering.

I'd like to hear what @superchuck500 thinks in terms of whether this is putting some kind of legal roadblock for anyone performing the abortion.
    Here’s the deal though, this woman has no time. She cannot afford to wait around for the courts. Paxton knows this. He doesn’t care if she is physically, mentally or emotionally damaged. There isn’t even a viable fetus here. It’s just cruelty to be cruel. To show women that they have no rights on their own, only those that men deign to give them. It’s truly evil is what it is.

Here’s the deal though, this woman has no time. She cannot afford to wait around for the courts. Paxton knows this. He doesn’t care if she is physically, mentally or emotionally damaged. There isn’t even a viable fetus here. It’s just cruelty to be cruel. To show women that they have no rights on their own, only those that men deign to give them. It’s truly evil is what it is.
    Oh, I definitely agree with you. I'm just asking if he can actually threaten to ignore the court order without consequences. I would hope the doctors or whoever is involved in helping this poor woman get this done. Seems like Paxton shouldn't be able to do what he's doing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom