State of The Union Address.. 2/4/2020 (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Ellen was honored for her courage to come out and live her life as an openly gay woman in a time where that risked not only her career but caused her to endure threats to her life and personal safety. Since then, she has been part of bringing a class of Americans that routinely endured prejudice and discrimination to a more accepted place in American society - inspiring young gay Americans that they don't have to live in the closet. The fact that is far more commonplace now may make it easy to forget that it was actually a pretty big deal at the time and especially risky for her to do.

I think it's pretty hard to dispute that account and she hasn't really done or said anything meaningful of generally controversial nature that I can think of.

Is there any way to equate that to Rush's career? A man who has made a living, in part, on haranguing the efforts of marginalized classes to achieve more in America? A man who has made numerous comments that are ostensibly racist and misogynist? I agree that he's been wildly successful and demonstrated a certain prowess in accumulating media power and a voice for a particular demographic in America. I think he belongs in the radio Hall-of-Fame to be sure, and perhaps in other accolades. But the Medal of Freedom? What "especially meritorious contribution" has he made?

I think Obama gave it to way too many entertainers and cultural figures who didn't merit such a high honor. I think there is plenty of room to point out that the recipients haven't always met the intent of the honor. But I do think there's a reasonable case to be made for Ellen.

Truly disingenuous to at least not mention the money Rush has raised for Veterans and their families. Because you know, people actually died to protect the freedoms we have today. Or are you trying to compare death to someone outing themselves which is absolutely hilarious if you are.

Leukemia and lymphoma telethon

Limbaugh holds an annual fundraising telethon called the "EIB Cure-a-Thon"[194] for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.[195] In 2006, the EIB Cure-a-Thon conducted its 16th annual telethon, raising $1.7 million,[196] totaling over $15 million since the first cure-a-thon.[197] According to Leukemia and Lymphoma Society annual reports, Limbaugh personally contributed between $100,000 and $499,999 from 2000 to 2005 and in 2007,[198] and Limbaugh said that he contributed around $250,000 in 2003, 2004 and 2005.[199] NewsMax reported Limbaugh donated $250,000 in 2006,[200] and the Society's 2006 annual report placed him in the $500,000 to $999,999 category.[198] Limbaugh donated $320,000 during the 2007 Cure-a-Thon,[201] which the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society reported had raised $3.1 million.[202] On his radio program April 18, 2008, Limbaugh pledged $400,000 to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society after being challenged by two listeners to increase his initial pledge of $300,000.[203]
    Marine Corps–Law Enforcement Foundation

Limbaugh conducts an annual drive to help the Marine Corps–Law Enforcement Foundation collect contributions to provide scholarships for children of Marines and law enforcement officers and agents who have died in the line of duty.[204][205] The foundation was the beneficiary of a record $2.1 million eBay auction in October 2007 after Limbaugh listed for sale a letter critical of him signed by 41 Democratic senators and pledged to match the selling price.[206] With the founding of his and his wife's company Two if by Tea, they pledged to donate at least $100,000 to the MC–LEF beginning in June 2011.[207]
    Tunnel to Towers Foundation

In July 2019 Nike announced a special Fourth of July edition of their Air Max 1 Quick Strike sneaker that featured the thirteen-star Betsy Ross flag. The company withdrew the sneaker after their spokesman Colin Kaepernick raised concerns that the symbol represented an era of black enslavement.[208] In response Limbaugh's radio program introduced a t-shirt imprinted "Stand up for Betsy Ross" with sale proceeds to benefit the Tunnel to Towers Foundation. As of December 2019 the sales have earned over $5M USD for the foundation.[209]

Edit: Oh there's also that 30 year career in radio spanning millions of people and pushed Conservative Radio mainstream.

But you know he's not gay so I guess that disqualifies him.

Truly disingenuous to at least not mention the money Rush has raised for Veterans and their families. Because you know, people actually died to protect the freedoms we have today. Or are you trying to compare death to someone outing themselves which is absolutely hilarious if you are.

Leukemia and lymphoma telethon

Limbaugh holds an annual fundraising telethon called the "EIB Cure-a-Thon"[194] for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.[195] In 2006, the EIB Cure-a-Thon conducted its 16th annual telethon, raising $1.7 million,[196] totaling over $15 million since the first cure-a-thon.[197] According to Leukemia and Lymphoma Society annual reports, Limbaugh personally contributed between $100,000 and $499,999 from 2000 to 2005 and in 2007,[198] and Limbaugh said that he contributed around $250,000 in 2003, 2004 and 2005.[199] NewsMax reported Limbaugh donated $250,000 in 2006,[200] and the Society's 2006 annual report placed him in the $500,000 to $999,999 category.[198] Limbaugh donated $320,000 during the 2007 Cure-a-Thon,[201] which the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society reported had raised $3.1 million.[202] On his radio program April 18, 2008, Limbaugh pledged $400,000 to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society after being challenged by two listeners to increase his initial pledge of $300,000.[203]
    Marine Corps–Law Enforcement Foundation

Limbaugh conducts an annual drive to help the Marine Corps–Law Enforcement Foundation collect contributions to provide scholarships for children of Marines and law enforcement officers and agents who have died in the line of duty.[204][205] The foundation was the beneficiary of a record $2.1 million eBay auction in October 2007 after Limbaugh listed for sale a letter critical of him signed by 41 Democratic senators and pledged to match the selling price.[206] With the founding of his and his wife's company Two if by Tea, they pledged to donate at least $100,000 to the MC–LEF beginning in June 2011.[207]
    Tunnel to Towers Foundation

In July 2019 Nike announced a special Fourth of July edition of their Air Max 1 Quick Strike sneaker that featured the thirteen-star Betsy Ross flag. The company withdrew the sneaker after their spokesman Colin Kaepernick raised concerns that the symbol represented an era of black enslavement.[208] In response Limbaugh's radio program introduced a t-shirt imprinted "Stand up for Betsy Ross" with sale proceeds to benefit the Tunnel to Towers Foundation. As of December 2019 the sales have earned over $5M USD for the foundation.[209]

Edit: Oh there's also that 30 year career in radio spanning millions of people and pushed Conservative Radio mainstream.

But you know he's not gay so I guess that disqualifies him.

You could make what are quality retorts without the pissy attitude - it strongly suggests you're not actually trying to have a discussion. His fundraising efforts are meaningful and I applaud him for it.

You could make what are quality retorts without the pissy attitude - it strongly suggests you're not actually trying to have a discussion. His fundraising efforts are meaningful and I applaud him for it.

Not being snarky, just stating the facts.

Okay maybe the last line was a tad snarky, apologies.

I personally don't give credit to Limbaugh for his fundraising efforts and charitable contributions. We see this often with people with money. They get involved in charitable organizations or give money to them in order to fend off criticism of how they got their money or other indefensible activity. Think of the Sackler's. In Limbaugh's case, to fend of criticism of his indefensible political positions and to make himself seem magnanimous. Even in the examples provide by @Thanos , you can see that his fundraising was response to criticism or to inflame cultural divides (which are in his personal radio show's interest). His or anybody else's charitable and fundraising contributions don't make up of being a horrible person in the first place.

I don't have a problem with the Limbaugh but then again I am conservative leaning so I can see why people will have a problem with it.
    Imagine Hillary giving Maddow the medal.......At least she didn't leave a woman to drown in her car, allegedly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom