So I went to Mexican immigration... (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SystemShock

Uh yu ka t'ann
    Reaction score
    ... To find out what papers I need to get Mexican green cards for my wife and son . The place was packed. A few 'Muricans, lots of Cubans, lots of Venezuelans, a few Salvadoreans, even one Indian.

The TV was set to a news channel, which, perhaps ironically, was showing the confrontations between Mexican riot police and a horde of people trying to breach the border from Guatemala into Chiapas, the first "caravan" of 2020, while the brand new National Guard was merely watching.

That segment was followed by the illustrious Mexican President, wearing 2 leis, a sarape, and holding a baton with color ribbons, boasting there are 4000 jobs in Chiapas and financial aid for Central Americans. Some indignant reporter shouted "what about jobs and financial aid for Mexicans?!?" After all, Chiapas is a poor State. The President was surprised by the question, he just replied "yeah, yeah" and went on with his tiresome populist message.

Last edited:
    This thread is pretty great
    I find it interesting how citizens of other countries feel about the illegal immigration problem. A different perspective that we don't hear a lot.

I find it interesting how citizens of other countries feel about the illegal immigration problem. A different perspective that we don't hear a lot.

Every country feels the same way about illegal immigration into their country. It’s not surprising.

I guess it’s the whole attitude that irks me. It doesn’t seem much different than the redneck at the local grocery store complaining about all the Mexicans.

How so? I just told you my perspective. You come off pretty bad here. It’s one thing to state your case, it’s another to do so in a way that paints a broad brush of negativity against a group of people.
    You don't see this?

Is wanting to protect the laws of ones country in this case, an example of racism, xenophobia, or some other 'ism' that we have discovered yet?

You don't see this?

Is wanting to protect the laws of ones country in this case, an example of racism, xenophobia, or some other 'ism' that we have discovered yet?

Not to speak for him, but to me it seems that sometimes people hide a lack of empathy behind respect for the law. It’s frustrating to see because it is a tactic often used by people to rationalize their racism.

That doesn’t mean that everyone who makes that argument is a racist, but that argument does totally shut down the option of considering the problem from the point of view of a migrant and try to address the problems driving the situation.

Militarization of borders might stop most of the problems that directly impact our lives, but we should care about more than what impacts our day to day lives.

I do too. I really don't like illegal immigration. I never even considered that Mexico, being the pathway to the US, is facing a similar and maybe worse problem.

I wish there was a solution, but I don't know what it is. Certainly allowing the lawless and dangerous behavior being described by our resident Mexican is unacceptable. We wouldn't and don't allow it. Why should they?

I see arguments against him that seem to ignore the fact that Mexico and Mexicans are sovereign and have every right to defend themselves or enforce their border laws.

You don't see this?

You're missing the point completely. I am totally against illegal immigration on its face 100%. If you want to secure your border, then by all means, secure your boarder, deport people, etc.

But there is a human element here as well. I think at a minimum, people and governments should treat illegal immigrants as fellow human beings instead of the scum of the Earth- which far too many do.

I'm just trying to figure what you think should be done about the situation.
    I don't know how many times do I have to tell you.

getting tough on the migrants
    And herein lies the disconnect. I am talking about the group of people who attack Mexicans and break Mexican laws, not just "migrants". Being a "migrant" or "poor" doesn't give anyone the right to harm others.

It seems like you just made this thread to complain, you do not seem interested in thinking about how to actually solve the problem.
    I already told you multiple times what the problem is and how I think it should be dealt with.

You just want to throw rocks at people.

I want to throw rocks at you, because you made this stupid comment:
    "Might save everyone some trouble if we just call in air strikes in Guatemala to take them out before they can get their hands on dangerous rocks. "

As if throwing rocks at people can't harm people. But apparently you think it is ok that a horde from one country throw rocks at authorities from another country because they are "migrants".

Another swing and miss. Let me draw the relevance for you since you can’t do it for yourself.

You: “You’re opinion is based on white privilege and only from a US perspective.”

Me: “Actually I’ve been living in Mexico for nearly 10 years, have a Mexican wife, Mexican friends (therefore have both a firsthand perspective and perspective of others both from and living in Mexico).”

You: “I bEt u hAve tHa gaY eNd BlaCk frIENdz 2”

good job!

It is a good job, thank you.

You could be in México for 100 years, I don't care. If you think it is ok for Guatemalans, Hondurans, Salvadoreans, etc to attack Mexican authorities and enter the country by brute force, well...

And if any of your huach friends are ok with Central Americans attacking Mexicans at the border, I really hope some of that violence gets to them.

You don't see this?

The disconnect here is that I am specifically talking about those who physically attack Mexicans authorities and commit crimes against the Mexican people but @samiam5211's and @donato's white guilt can't let them see past the word "migrant", and seem to condone such behavior, because I don't recall either speaking against a horde of people from other countries attacking Mexican authorities.

Illegal immigrants get caught all the time in many parts of México. Many are even allowed to stay, if they have a good case for asylum, or even if they already have assimilated themselves into society. Surely there are some bad seeds, but by far most of them embrace the culture, and want to be in Mexico. My hometown happens to be a preferred destination of international immigrants, with sizable Lebanese, Korean, Haitian, Cuban, Canadian, U.S. communities (not to mention the waves of Mexicans from other States moving there because of how safe it is). And they all want to be there. They all want to be part of México. And that's great.

México has enough problems as it is with Mexicans... the last thing México needs is someone else's problems.

I don't know how many times do I have to tell you.

And herein lies the disconnect. I am talking about the group of people who attack Mexicans and break Mexican laws, not just "migrants". Being a "migrant" or "poor" doesn't give anyone the right to harm others.

I already told you multiple times what the problem is and how I think it should be dealt with.

I want to throw rocks at you, because you made this stupid comment:
    "Might save everyone some trouble if we just call in air strikes in Guatemala to take them out before they can get their hands on dangerous rocks. "

As if throwing rocks at people can't harm people. But apparently you think it is ok that a horde from one country throw rocks at authorities from another country because they are "migrants".

Sorry, i thought this thread was about immigration, not the abuse of Mexican police. The thread title had me confused i guess.

People shouldn't be abusing Mexican police. On that I'm sure we agree.

It seems your non-white inferiority complex is getting the better of you. See, I can make absurd amateur psychology statements also.

Well, I am white, so... but Mexicans can't be white, right?

This thread is pretty great
    I agree.

Aside from the entertainment value though, I have always wondered about these caravans that make it to the US/Mexico border and why they weren't stopped from entering Mexico in the first place.

@SystemShock Have the Mexican authorities been trying to halt these caravans for a long time or is this a new thing? I can honestly say that I don't recall any reporting on it in the past or threads about it on the old PDB or EE.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom