Should we see the removal of statues like George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

TheRealTruth

Reaction score
    Recently CNN aired an interview where one of the guests suggested what is in the topic.

I agree with the removal of confederate statues around the country, but should this also be done for founding fathers?

I was thinking, this "glorification" goes down to even the parish level. Take Jefferson Davis Parish, named after the so called president of the confederacy. You have streets named after confederates of the civil war as well.

Progressives: “The US is pervaded by racism and its Founders were all bigoted white dudes.”

Conservatives: “This country is great and we will defend it against attacks from those who want to destroy it.”

Media: “Conservatives promote divisive message and foment culture war.”

Progressives: “The US is pervaded by racism and its Founders were all bigoted white dudes.”

Conservatives: “This country is great and we will defend it against attacks from those who want to destroy it.”

Who wants to destroy America?

I think your opinions show that you have a simplistic, biased, judgemental and angry view of people and the world.

It's hard to have an actual conversation when operating from that place.

Last edited:

Trump is promoting a culture war and racism.

He literally posted screenshots of news article headlines and media analysts reactions to Trump's speech and screenshots of Trump's speech. I'm not sure how he created a straw man thread by posting screenshots of something.

He posted screenshots next to excerpts that had nothing to do with the content of the articles. For example, he posted this tweet:

The NPR headline directly quotes Trump from somewhere around the 10 or 11 minute mark of his speech. The quote he puts up in juxtaposition is from the 21 minute mark. If he were to make a legitimate comparison, the NPR screenshot should have been accompanied by this quote:

This attack on our liberty, our magnificent liberty must be stopped and it will be stopped very quickly. We will expose this dangerous movement, protect our nation’s children from this radical assault, and preserve our beloved American way of life. In our schools, our newsrooms, even our corporate boardrooms, there is a new far-left fascism that demands absolute allegiance. If you do not speak its language, perform its rituals, recite its mantras, and follow its commandments, then you will be censored, banished, blacklisted, persecuted, and punished. It’s not going to happen to us.

He literally posted screenshots of news article headlines and media analysts reactions to Trump's speech and screenshots of Trump's speech. I'm not sure how he created a straw man thread by posting screenshots of something.
    Because what's he's doing is the equivalent of taking someone saying, "I'm not racist but <something incredibly racist", then juxtaposing accurate reporting describing the racist bit with just the "I'm not racist" part and saying, "See, fake news!" It's an incredibly cheap and weak tactic.

I'll give one specific example, the first one. The Washington Post tweet states, "At Mount Rushmore, Trump exploits social divisions, warns of 'left-wing cultural revolution' in dark speech ahead of Independence Day."

Now the quote that should be against that from Trump's speech is this one:

We will expose this dangerous movement, protect our nation’s children from this radical assault, and preserve our beloved American way of life. In our schools, our newsrooms, even our corporate boardrooms, there is a new far-left fascism that demands absolute allegiance. If you do not speak its language, perform its rituals, recite its mantras, and follow its commandments, then you will be censored, banished, blacklisted, persecuted, and punished. It’s not going to happen to us. Make no mistake. This left-wing cultural revolution is designed to overthrow the American Revolution. In so doing they would destroy the very civilization that rescued billions from poverty, disease, violence, and hunger, and that lifted humanity to new heights of achievement, discovery, and progress. To make this possible, they are determined to tear down every statue, symbol, and memory of our national heritage.​

Because, you see, the Washington Post tweet is an accurate description of the things he actually said.

But the tweet is setting up a straw man, that is, the notion that the Washington Post is not actually describing the speech, even though it is. Because it's a lot easier to shout "fake news" than it is to try to defend the fact that the US President is dangerously exploiting and fueling division in America.

I didn't watch the Trump speech, but the clips I've seen online don't look anything like the way the media has described it. Another good Twitter thread:

I watched all of it.

Might I suggest you find all of it and watch.

Sound bites are just that. That was a horrible fear mongering speech. All along the same lines as last election except the major difference is you should fear Americans not the amigos to the south.

You really don't have a thing to say about it until you do.

Find out for yourself.

Conservatives: the things we describe as great about this country are the very things progressives have achieved for this country since it’s onset.
    But now we consider progressivism some sort of moral rot because we are intellectuals

I watched all of it.

Might I suggest you find all of it and watch.

Sound bites are just that. That was a horrible fear mongering speech. All along the same lines as last election except the major difference is you should fear Americans not the amigos to the south.

You really don't have a thing to say about it until you do.

Find out for yourself.

I saw commentary that it was the most un-American speech ever given on the Fourth by a US President. No one who supports Trump can ever complain about a culture war ever again. People were saying it sounded like Stephen Miller, but I also saw some who said that speech had Bannon’s fingerprints all over it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom