SHOULD Biden run for a 2nd term? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveSBrickNJ

Reaction score
    Biden has lost support from many people who voted for him in the past.
    He is getting up there in age.
    Here are a couple of sites I'd like to share...
    WHAT DO ANY OF YOU THINK?
    IS THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY BEST SERVED BY HAVING PRESIDENT BIDEN RUN FOR ANOTHER TERM OR WOULD A DIFFERENT CANDIDATE BE BETTER? :unsure:

Oh well.
    This is why I am an independent and not a republican.
    There is a poster here...just one person who won't accept that.
    This poster even went over on the EE board of Saints Report to say I'm a Republican.
    That post was of course removed.
    I WAS a Republican once...but my former Republican Party is gone.
    It is the MAGA Party which uses the word "Republican" in name only.
    I am anti Trump and not a MAGAite
    This is how I "identify" as well. lol

Is this the Tlaib thread?
    No, this is the Lemming thread.

giphy.gif

This why Biden was the nominee in 2020 and why he'll be the nominee this fall -- he's simply got the best chance of winning...

Of the three hypothetical Democrat alternatives, Harris came the closest to beating Trump, trailing him by three points with 43% versus his 46%, the poll found.

Newsom, considered a rising star in the party, who has stumped for Biden, performed far worse, scoring 36% versus 46%.

Whitmer performed similarly poorly, attaining 33% versus Trump’s 45%.

Meanwhile, Biden came in just one percentage point behind Trump — with 44% versus 45%.

.......The claim that President Biden is old and therefore so diminished mentally and physically that he is incapable of being an effective leader has taken on a life of its own. In many ways, this narrative is immune to the facts and evidence and may be a deciding factor in the outcome of the 2024 election and the future of the United States.

Dr. John Gartner is a psychologist and former professor at the Johns Hopkins University Medical School. Gartner was a contributor to the 2017 bestseller "The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump: 27 Psychiatrists and Mental Health Experts Assess a President."

In this conversation, Gartner argues that it is actually Donald Trump and not President Biden who is showing diminished mental acuity and dangerous behavior related to aging. Gartner explains that Donald Trump’s escalating dangerousness is connected to what he believes is a diseased mind that will only get worse.

Gartner warns that given Trump’s dangerous personality and emotional state, (Gartner describes this as “hypomanic” behavior) he is almost certainly plotting revenge and how to make his “enemies” suffer as revenge for finally being held accountable by the courts and the rule of law.

At the end of this conversation, Gartner explains how even on his worst day as an older person, President Biden is a far superior leader and decision-maker (and human being) than Donald Trump.

This interview has been lightly edited for clarity and length:

For several years, you have not been commenting publicly about Donald Trump. You shared with me how you are tired and exhausted from being in the fight against him and the MAGA movement and decided to step back. I have talked to other members of “the resistance” and they too have told me similar things. They’re exhausted; they’re tired; they’re spent. You were recently quoted in an article at US News and World Report about Biden and Trump’s mental health and age. Why have you decided to retake your public platform?

I'm not quite coming back to discussing politics publicly as I did before. I went through a similar process like some of the other people you have spoken to who have decided to step away from being active members of "the resistance." For five years I did that work with total energy and commitment. I was sounding the alarm about Trump basically every day. I did hundreds of interviews. I made it my full-time job like I was at war. But after five years, when Biden was inaugurated, I thought, okay, the war's over, I can take off my metaphorical uniform. So, not only are many members of the resistance exhausted, but we disbanded when Biden won in 2020. We had a duty to warn the public about Trump and the MAGA movement and all that danger. We were basically saying, "The British are coming! The British are coming!" At this point the American people must know that the British are here.

I had to speak out now because the 2024 election might turn on this issue of who is cognitively capable: Biden or Trump? It's a major issue that will affect some people's votes. Not enough people are sounding the alarm, that based on his behavior, and in my opinion, Donald Trump is dangerously demented. In fact, we are seeing the opposite among too many in the news media, the political leaders and among the public. There is also this focus on Biden's gaffes or other things that are well within the normal limits of aging. By comparison, Trump appears to be showing gross signs of dementia. This is a tale of two brains. Biden's brain is aging. Trump's brain is dementing...........

.......The claim that President Biden is old and therefore so diminished mentally and physically that he is incapable of being an effective leader has taken on a life of its own. In many ways, this narrative is immune to the facts and evidence and may be a deciding factor in the outcome of the 2024 election and the future of the United States.

Dr. John Gartner is a psychologist and former professor at the Johns Hopkins University Medical School. Gartner was a contributor to the 2017 bestseller "The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump: 27 Psychiatrists and Mental Health Experts Assess a President."

In this conversation, Gartner argues that it is actually Donald Trump and not President Biden who is showing diminished mental acuity and dangerous behavior related to aging. Gartner explains that Donald Trump’s escalating dangerousness is connected to what he believes is a diseased mind that will only get worse.

Gartner warns that given Trump’s dangerous personality and emotional state, (Gartner describes this as “hypomanic” behavior) he is almost certainly plotting revenge and how to make his “enemies” suffer as revenge for finally being held accountable by the courts and the rule of law.

At the end of this conversation, Gartner explains how even on his worst day as an older person, President Biden is a far superior leader and decision-maker (and human being) than Donald Trump.

This interview has been lightly edited for clarity and length:

For several years, you have not been commenting publicly about Donald Trump. You shared with me how you are tired and exhausted from being in the fight against him and the MAGA movement and decided to step back. I have talked to other members of “the resistance” and they too have told me similar things. They’re exhausted; they’re tired; they’re spent. You were recently quoted in an article at US News and World Report about Biden and Trump’s mental health and age. Why have you decided to retake your public platform?

I'm not quite coming back to discussing politics publicly as I did before. I went through a similar process like some of the other people you have spoken to who have decided to step away from being active members of "the resistance." For five years I did that work with total energy and commitment. I was sounding the alarm about Trump basically every day. I did hundreds of interviews. I made it my full-time job like I was at war. But after five years, when Biden was inaugurated, I thought, okay, the war's over, I can take off my metaphorical uniform. So, not only are many members of the resistance exhausted, but we disbanded when Biden won in 2020. We had a duty to warn the public about Trump and the MAGA movement and all that danger. We were basically saying, "The British are coming! The British are coming!" At this point the American people must know that the British are here.

I had to speak out now because the 2024 election might turn on this issue of who is cognitively capable: Biden or Trump? It's a major issue that will affect some people's votes. Not enough people are sounding the alarm, that based on his behavior, and in my opinion, Donald Trump is dangerously demented. In fact, we are seeing the opposite among too many in the news media, the political leaders and among the public. There is also this focus on Biden's gaffes or other things that are well within the normal limits of aging. By comparison, Trump appears to be showing gross signs of dementia. This is a tale of two brains. Biden's brain is aging. Trump's brain is dementing...........

Preach, Dr Gartner!

I mean that. Get on a soapbox, email The Today Show, use small words and be BLUNT. Don't dance around, say it just like the above. "Trump is senile. He's senile and demented. Unhinged. Disconnected from reality. Crazy as a shirthouse rat."

This is a really good segment from someone who knows about this stuff. This is why nobody will be taking Biden’s place on the ticket.

That was an excellent editorial by Lawrence O'Donnell. Well worth the investment of 27 minutes and great perspective for this upcoming election.

I really wish people cared more about the job of the presidency than the theater.

Vice President Harris was never as flawed as her critics made her out to be.

From the onset of her term, she maintained a rigorous and effective diplomatic travel schedule and bolstered President Biden’s fight for voting rights.

Unlike Biden, she never got ahead of the president on policy. Unlike former vice president Dan Quayle, she never made a late-night-comedy-worthy gaffe. And she has avoided her predecessor’s cringeworthy fawning.

Some defenders pointed to her eagerness in taking on seemingly impossible tasks (e.g., stemming the tide of Central American migrants); others argued the first woman of color in the job attracted disproportionate criticism. Whatever the cause, she has received harsh and sometimes petty media coverage, which too often simply regurgitated Republican attacks.

However, whatever one thought of her early days in the administration, those who look carefully will see that she has hit her stride, providing Biden with key support among critical constituencies.

Most prominently, her fierce and eloquent defense of abortion rights post-Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization has “broken through” with voters, according to respected Democratic pollster Celinda Lake. Her empathic rhetoric tying abortion to “freedom” has helped reset the pro-choice message.

Her speech in Wisconsin in January on the 51st anniversary of Roe v. Wade underscored her effectiveness. “These extremists want to roll back the clock to a time before women were treated as full citizens — Wisconsin to the 1800s,” she told the audience.

“Just look at what happened here in this beautiful state of Wisconsin. After Roe was dismantled, extremists evoked a law from 1849 to stop abortion in this state — 1849 — before women could vote, before women could hold elected office, before many women could even own property.”

She pressed on, repeatedly interrupted by applause: “In a state whose motto is ‘Forward’ these extremists are trying to take us backwards. But we’re not having that. We’re not having that.” To cheers, she declared, “We trust women. We trust women to make decisions about their own bodies. We trust women to know what is in their own best interest. And women trust us to fight to protect their most fundamental freedoms.”

Indeed, she has been enthusiastically greeted throughout her barnstorming tours of college campuses in which abortion rights have been front and center.

Even amid the controversies surrounding the Israel-Gaza war that have roiled campuses, she remains relentlessly on message, stressing issues that resonate with younger voters, including school shootings, climate change and LGBTQ+ rights.

In particular, she has excelled in her role as Biden defender and prosecutor of the case against four-times indicted former president Donald Trump.

She launched a succinct and compelling indictment of special counsel Robert K. Hur’s lapse in prosecutorial judgment. “As a former prosecutor,” she declared Hur’s comments about Biden’s age and memory “gratuitous, inaccurate and inappropriate.”……..

Last edited:

I think there's definitely some validity to his argument, which is essentially that if it's increasingly obvious that you aren't the strongest candidate to defeat Trump, you should really consider stepping aside.

I don't think even most Democrats think Biden is the strongest candidate they can offer to defeat Trump. The problem is, they don't really have anyone else.
    And back to the Biden situation - I don't know if I agree with Costas/Maher on timing...I think it may be too late. 'Stepping aside' now may just completely cement Biden as frail and unfair or not - unable to lead.

I don't think Democrats have any choice. I'm sure a big concern is how Biden will appear during the debates, but it's not like a lot of voters won't already have their minds made up.

Kamala Harris? I think she'd definitely be a stronger candidate. But she also isn't wildly popular. Maybe Buttigieg. Idk.

Preach, Dr Gartner!

I mean that. Get on a soapbox, email The Today Show, use small words and be BLUNT. Don't dance around, say it just like the above. "Trump is senile. He's senile and demented. Unhinged. Disconnected from reality. Crazy as a shirthouse rat."

The "when they go low, we go high" thing.

At this point, though, I don't know that it'd work to go after Trump for being senile and demented.

Had Rubio not backed down from "small hands" and Hillary not apologized for "basket of deplorables", we probably are not in this mess.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom