SDNY fraud indictment of "We Build the Wall" non-profit org. includes Steve Bannon (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    We Build The Wall purports to raise funds through a non-profit (501(c)(3)) to build segments of "Trump's Wall" (per their website). The founders include former Trump advisor Steve Bannon.

Today the US Attorney for the Southern District of New York announced the indictment of the We Build the Wall's principles for defrauding "hundreds of thousands of donors." The defendants, including Steve Bannon, have been arrested.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/p...ampaign-charged-defrauding-hundreds-thousands

It's more likey that the media narrative of Barr's plan to remove the SDNY US Attorney wasn't accurate. If Barr's plan was to protect people who could spill the beans on Trump, wouldn't Barr have to know what would have needed to be done to stop the investigation?

This take is completely inaccurate, IMO. We all owe Berman a true debt of gratitude for standing up to Barr and stopping him. You surely remember that. It was only 60 days ago.

Sometimes your attempt to obstruct justice works, sometimes it doesn't.
    You can thank the federal bureaucracy and the bureaucrats that you are constantly lambasting who stay committed to their mission and don't allow politics to dictate wright and wrong for them.

I remember reading an article expressing that Barr made a big mistake firing Berman because Audrey Strauss is an absolute bulldog of a prosecutor and the move was going to backfire on them, big time....it appears this is exactly what is happening...

But were basically in the dark for the investigation, right? I know Barr is loyal to Trump to a fault but I don't think even he would try to stop the indictment from being filed because of the giant stink that would come from it and it would be more fodder for more and more people to reject Trump.

I have never been a prosecutor, but I believe that the law enforcement agency in most significant criminal investigations involves the prosecutors' office at some point, usually well before the investigation is complete. I don't doubt that it's significant that the law enforcement agency here, the USPIS, was not the FBI and not a DOJ entity. And it's also true, I believe, that the US Attorney has authority to file indictments in her district without approval from the Attorney General's office.

I wonder, though, whether by policy or practice, the US Attorney advised DOJ-HQ (i.e. Barr) of this action before it was filed. I have to believe that she did. But at the point at which the investigation is complete and charges are prepared via sealed indictment, there's only so much that the Attorney General can do without it being a shirt storm (should the US Attorney or others in the loop go public about it).

I wonder, though, whether by policy or practice, the US Attorney advised DOJ-HQ (i.e. Barr) of this action before it was filed. I have to believe that she did. But at the point at which the investigation is complete and charges are prepared via sealed indictment, there's only so much that the Attorney General can do without it being a shirt storm (should the US Attorney or others in the loop go public about it).

you know the old adage..."easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission"

id REALLY love to know if thats how it went down ( like you said, investigation/indictment all but done, just "advised" DOJ this was going down - today lol)

I wasn't aware that before Barr became Attorney General he called the DOJ to contest the charges against Democratic Senator Menendez due to the broad interpretation of the law.

The MCB's favorite Legal Analyst Turley talks about the Berman case as well as the Cohen and Flynn cases.

I wasn't aware that before Barr became Attorney General he called the DOJ to contest the charges against Democratic Senator Menendez due to the broad interpretation of the law.

The MCB's favorite Legal Analyst Turley talks about the Berman case as well as the Cohen and Flynn cases.

pfffft Barr- this aint about Barr. This is about the walls closing in.

Try as you might, focus is squarely on Bannon et al.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom