Right wing nuts thread (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

And more fallout from this idiocy
========================
SPRINGFIELD, Ohio — The Haitian eatery cooks were preparing for Thursday’s lunch rush when the phone rang.

“Got any cats or dogs?” a mocking voice asked.

Romane Pierre, the 41-year-old manager of Rose Goute Creole, didn’t want to alarm his staff. They were already nervous.

During the presidential debate barely 36 hours earlier, Republican nominee Donald Trump had targeted Haitians in Springfield, falsely accusing them of “eating the pets of the people that live there.”

Pierre summoned his customer-service politeness.
“No,” he replied, “but we have chicken and pork.”

A crackpot call was a minor disruption compared with that morning’s bomb threat on city hall, conveyed in a message the mayor described as “hateful” toward immigrants.

By Friday, two elementary schools in this southwestern Ohio city had gone into lockdown and evacuated their students. Pierre’s team, who usually kept the restaurant open late, decided to close before dark.

“Everyone’s scared,” he said, keeping an eye on the glass entrance.

The incendiary claims about immigrants that Trump echoed to millions of Americans have turned a dangerous spotlight on those in the cities he keeps name-checking: Springfield and Aurora, Colo., a Denver suburb where he has repeatedly asserted Venezuelan criminals are “taking over.”

“We’re going to get these people out,” he said in a news conference Friday, intensifying his attack and promising to stage “the largest deportation in the history of our country” if reelected.

Trump’s words don’t reflect their reality, more than a dozen immigrants said in interviews this week. But his rhetoric, which right-wing news sources and social media have greatly amplified, triggered alarm in places grappling with culture clashes.

In Springfield, where the Haitian population has soared since 2020, some from the Caribbean nation have been keeping their children home from school, community organizers say, fearing bullying or worse. Others have reported harassment on the street, in their cars and at stores.

In Aurora, a large and proudly diverse city where thousands of Venezuelans began arriving in 2022, numerous migrants said they have been told their nationality makes them ineligible for jobs or housing.

Residents of buildings that some officials have alleged are under gang control said the false rumors have led to threats and even drawn armed groups to the properties — claiming to offer protection, vigilante-style……..

SPRINGFIELD, Ohio (AP) — For many Haitian immigrants, Sunday mornings in Springfield, Ohio, are spent joyfully worshipping God as they sing and pray in their native Creole. This Sunday, they needed that uplifting balm more than ever.

Their community is reeling — confused, frustrated, hurt — from false accusations that they are eating their neighbor’s cats and dogs. The now viral and highly politicized rumorsare being fueled by former President Donald Trump, his running mate JD Vance and others, and violent threats against the community are upending daily life in their city.

“Jesus is with us in truth, and the truth is that Haitians are not eating pets and geese in Springfield,” said the Rev. Carl Ruby, preaching at Central Christian Church. He invited community members to join his congregation in prayer and peaceful protest of the false rumors leveled against their Haitian neighbors.

They also demanded an apology.

“It is truth that a retraction of these rumors will help to restore peace in Springfield,” Ruby said. “We respectfully call on all politicians and media figures who are promoting this rumor to help make Springfield great and safe again by speaking the truth about our community.”

Viles Dorsainvil, the leader of Haitian Community Help and Support Center in Springfield, accepted Ruby’s invitation to worship together at Central Christian, and was grateful to be relying on his faith.

“It’s important to be here because we’re Christian — despite everything, we worship in good times and bad times,” he said. “I’m relieved that I’m in the presence of God. It’s therapeutic.”

And he had a message for Trump and Vance: “If they have the heart of God, they will think differently and speak differently.”………

Looks like bud light and target are the outliers
=================================

The cringe factor can be high when an established brand suddenly aligns itself with up-to-date values. It did not appear to work well for Gillette, which suffered a public backlash five years ago to its “toxic masculinity” advert, or for Marks and Spencer when it brought out an LGBT rainbow- coloured sandwich to mark Pride.

But new academic research carried out for the advertising industry suggests that “Go woke, go broke”, the snappy catchphrase devised by rightwing groups as a warning to brands, has got it all wrong.

It seems even clunky attempts to tune into newer, more tolerant values can give a product an advantage.

On Monday the findings of a global study from the Unstereotype Alliance, a business initiative convened by UN Women, will offer new evidence that advertising campaigns that are more inclusive have a positive impact on profits, sales and brand worth.

The analysis was conducted by researchers from the Saïd Business School at Oxford University using data collected by a group of large businesses, including Diageo, Kantar and Unilever, in collaboration with the Geena Davis Institute, set up by the US actor and activist to study gender in the media.

It found that when an advert can authentically and positively portray a full range of people – devoid of stereotypes – it can provide an edge in the marketplace when it comes to consumer preferences and long-term sales figures.

Based on analysis of 392 brands across 58 countries, the research, which claims to be the first of its kind, indicates the positive impact of inclusive advertising on outcomes, with an almost 3.5% boost to shorter-term sales and a more than 16% increase in the longer term.

It seems to persuade 62% of buyers to choose a product and make 15% of shoppers more loyal.……

An Ohio sheriff instructed residents to keep a list of homes displaying campaign signs in support of the Democratic presidential nominee, Kamala Harris, and her running mate, Tim Walz, in remarks on social media that caused alarm.

Bruce D Zuchowski, the Republican sheriff of Portage county, posted the remarks on Friday to his personal and professional Facebook pages, warning that undocumented immigrants would arrive if Harris were elected over his party’s nominee, Donald Trump.

“When people ask me … What’s gonna happen if the Flip – Flopping, Laughing Hyena Wins??” Zuchowski wrote, referring to Harris. “I say … write down all the addresses of the people who had her signs in their yards!”

Referring to immigrants as “Illegal human ‘Locust’”, Zuchowski added: “We’ll already have the addresses of the their New families ... who supported their arrival!”

In the same post, Zuchowski added screenshots from several Fox News stories claiming that the Biden administration’s immigration policies were fueling a “crime wave” and “destroying small towns”.

At least two commenters said they would be collecting the addresses of neighbors who publicly supported the Democratic ticket, reported the Portager, a local newspaper for the county…….

Students at the University of South Carolina are calling on their school to cancel a scheduled “roast” of Kamala Harris, an event they believe “encourages racism, homophobia, and sexism” on campus, especially as one of the speakers is the founder of the far-right Proud Boys.

The graphic posters advertising it refer to the vice-president and Democratic presidential nominee with a crude sexual insult, and although organizers present it as a “comedy”, many view it as a subterfuge for spreading hateful and violent rhetoric. An online student petition condemning the event has received over 26,000 signatures.

The event will be hosted by Gavin McInnes, the founder of the Proud Boys, and is scheduled for 18 September on university grounds in downtown Columbia.

“When I initially learned of this, I was relatively unbothered, then I realized who the guest speakers were,” said Nick Stewart, a sophomore studying media arts at the university.

“As someone who normally has a lot of school pride, this ordeal has made me feel ashamed of being a student at USC.”

The roast was organized by the South Carolina chapter of Uncensored America, a nonpartisan organization fighting for freedom of speech. Uncensored America has a presence at several universities across the US and hosts “honest and fun conversations with controversial figures to fight censorship and cancel culture”.

McInnes will be joined on stage by Milo Yiannopoulos, an extremist rightwing media personality also known for espousing misogynistic, racist, and transphobic ideologies.

University events are by no means new for Yiannopoulos, who told a crowd at the University of Massachusetts in 2016 that “feminism is cancer” and advertised a similar speech at Penn State University with posters reading slogans such as “Pray the gay away”.……

An Ohio sheriff instructed residents to keep a list of homes displaying campaign signs in support of the Democratic presidential nominee, Kamala Harris, and her running mate, Tim Walz, in remarks on social media that caused alarm.

Bruce D Zuchowski, the Republican sheriff of Portage county, posted the remarks on Friday to his personal and professional Facebook pages, warning that undocumented immigrants would arrive if Harris were elected over his party’s nominee, Donald Trump.

“When people ask me … What’s gonna happen if the Flip – Flopping, Laughing Hyena Wins??” Zuchowski wrote, referring to Harris. “I say … write down all the addresses of the people who had her signs in their yards!”

Referring to immigrants as “Illegal human ‘Locust’”, Zuchowski added: “We’ll already have the addresses of the their New families ... who supported their arrival!”

In the same post, Zuchowski added screenshots from several Fox News stories claiming that the Biden administration’s immigration policies were fueling a “crime wave” and “destroying small towns”.

At least two commenters said they would be collecting the addresses of neighbors who publicly supported the Democratic ticket, reported the Portager, a local newspaper for the county…….

If Trump and his minions want people to stop comparing them to Hitler and Nazi's, then it would be wise of them to stop doing the same things that Hitler and the Nazi's did.

Hitler and the Nazi's asked people to spy on and report their neighbors.

I think Tom has this mostly right.

I agree with Tom. Education and development of reasoning and critical thinking won't solve the current problem. The majority of Americans are of average intelligence are higher. American society is irrational as a whole, not stupid. Being irrational is a psychological and emotional issue, not an intelligence or education issue.

We desperately need emotional/psychological healing and education. Do that, and increased rational and intelligent behavior will follow, as will improvements in our education system.

Last edited:
Does it even matter that the Haitian immigrants who have flocked to Springfield, Ohio, are in the country legally?

Does it matter that Springfield, once a depressed post-industrial Rust belt town like so many others, has been economically revitalized by their arrival?

Does it matter that the immigrants from Haiti fled violence and economic deprivation in their own country that are the outcome of American policy?

Does it matter that none of the bizarre lies that have been peddled about them by Donald Trump, JD Vance and others on the right, telling lurid tales of the migrants capturing and killing local pets, are true?

But even though the stories are made up, the threats now facing Springfield’s population of roughly 80,000 souls are very real.

After last week’s presidential debate, when Trump railedabout how Haitians in Springfield were “eating the dogs, eating the cats … they’re eating the pets of the people that live there”, life has been transformed in Springfield. Ordinary life has yielded to a barrage of media attention, nationally broadcast lies and threats.

Two elementary schools in Springfield had to be evacuated because of threats of violence.

Think about that: someone contacted Springfield authorities and made threats against grade-school children that were credible enough that the buildings had to be evacuatedfor the sake of safety.

Classes at Wittenberg University in Springfield had to be held online because multiple threats of violence targeting Haitian students and staff there – including a bomb threat and a mass shooting threat – were deemed credible. Two hospitals in the town, Kettering Health Springfield and Mercy Health, had to go into lockdown after receiving threats. Government buildings in the city also had to be closed.

Haitian immigrants in Springfield told news outlets that they were afraid to leave their homes. There were reports of broken windows and acid thrown on cars. There is a word for this kind of large-scale, organized violence against a local ethnic enclave.

That word is pogrom.

There was a time, earlier in Trump’s political career, when pundits liked to issue chin-scratching missives about the mutability of truth: about how Trump could spin outright fabrications into vehicles for white or male grievance, and about how shockingly little it mattered when his stories were revealed to be lies.

Now, the thoroughly Trumpified Republican party has all but dispensed with the pretext of honesty, instead embracing an avowed sense that the factual truth is actually irrelevant……..

Former Trump White House press aide Sarah Matthews on Sunday spelled out why Donald Trump’s association with conspiracy theorist Laura Loomer is “so scary” in terms of a potential second Trump presidency and the role Loomer may play in it.

Loomer is “as fringe as fringe gets,” Matthews told MSNBC’s Jen Psaki of the far-right provocateur who in the last week alone has accompanied Trump to the presidential debate and a 9/11 commemoration ceremony.

It’s “really concerning” that Loomer now appears to be in Trump’s inner circle, said Matthews. Loomer appears “willing to defend anything that he says or does and he likes that, she’s the ultimate sycophant,” she added.

Loomer is “clearly angling” for a White House role, potentially even as press secretary, Matthews added. “It’s terrifying,” she said.

“It makes me nervous about what a potential staff for a second Trump term could look like,” Matthews added, noting how the so-called adults in the room pushed back on Trump’s worst instincts during his first administration but loyalists wouldn’t do that in a second.............

So yesterday I'm out running errands and I parked next to a MAGA car. Covered in American flag, eagle and Trump decals. Had some anti Biden bumper stickers, including a Let's Go Brandon, some pro gun stuff

I've seen a lot of these cars since 2016 in the DC Metro area and while traveling. They look like MAGA is sponsoring a NASCAR team

What I have never seen is a democratic equivalent

I've seen plenty of cars with bumper stickers, but they only have one or two, and they are the simple "Biden-Harris, Harris-Walz, Yes We Can, I'm with her, or We're not going back" variety

Since 2016 I think have seen one Fork Trump bumper sticker and a few 'Don't blame me, I voted for Hillary'

Any theory on why that is?

Why one side feels the need to plaster their car in propaganda, and the other side does not?

So yesterday I'm out running errands and I parked next to a MAGA car. Covered in American flag, eagle and Trump decals. Had some anti Biden bumper stickers, including a Let's Go Brandon, some pro gun stuff

I've seen a lot of these cars since 2016 in the DC Metro area and while traveling. They look like MAGA is sponsoring a NASCAR team

What I have never seen is a democratic equivalent

I've seen plenty of cars with bumper stickers, but they only have one or two, and they are the simple "Biden-Harris, Harris-Walz, Yes We Can, I'm with her, or We're not going back" variety

Since 2016 I think have seen one Fork Trump bumper sticker and a few 'Don't blame me, I voted for Hillary'

Any theory on why that is?

Why one side feels the need to plaster their car in propaganda, and the other side does not?

Honestly...I won't put a Harris-Walz sign in my yard because I fear retribution from my neighbors.

I won't put a Harris-Walz sticker on my car because bumper stickers are stupid.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
Top Bottom