Now is not the time to talk about gun control (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

True, false, relevant, irrelevant, I certainly have no idea. However, it's interesting because female shooters are so rare, and possibly this female shooter may have identified as male.
    I'm a little confused here. I had initially thought she's a trans woman, meaning born a man and transitioned to a woman. Maybe it was the other way around, but I'm still not sure at this point.

I’ve seen the same picture of a person posted identified as the shooter with 2 entirely different names. I don’t trust anything the NYPost says because they are known to publish false stories on purpose. I also saw some poor guy in Ohio was identified as the shooter on line, and he wasn’t anywhere near Tennessee. We can wait on positive ID, imo, rather than post tabloid trash. JMO.

Well, it's not unusual for trans individuals to use 2 different names. Sometimes they stay with their birth name with their family and trans name with their friends. So it's possible that might be part of what's happening.

I agree it would be good to get confirmation tho.

I'm a little confused here. I had initially thought she's a trans woman, meaning born a man and transitioned to a woman. Maybe it was the other way around, but I'm still not sure at this point.
    I think they're saying she's a she who's transitioned to male. At least that's what the local police chief said.

Well, it's not unusual for trans individuals to use 2 different names. Sometimes they stay with their birth name with their family and trans name with their friends. So it's possible that might be part of what's happening.

I agree it would be good to get confirmation tho.
    I’m seeing born a woman, but living as a man. I don’t know anything else about them. But the fact that news organizations are using “she” leads me to think there wasn’t any sort of actual transition. But who knows? The 2 names were entirely different first and last names and both were female names. 🤷‍♀️

I’m seeing born a woman, but living as a man. I don’t know anything else about them. But the fact that news organizations are using “she” leads me to think there wasn’t any sort of actual transition. But who knows? The 2 names were entirely different first and last names and both were female names. 🤷‍♀️
    Yeah, from what I'm seeing today, it looks like a female who identifies as a man. I'm not really sure the source of the transgender thing. Maybe it's in the manifesto. I'm curious if they'll make that public.

The AR-15 assault rifle was engineered to create what one of its designers called “maximum wound effect.” Its tiny bullets – needle-nosed and weighing less than four grams – travel nearly three times the speed of sound. As the bullet strikes the body, the payload of kinetic energy rips open a cavity inside the flesh – essentially inert space – which collapses back on itself, destroying inelastic tissue, including nerves, blood vessels and vital organs. “It’s a perfect killing machine,” says Dr. Peter Rhee, a leading trauma surgeon and retired captain with 24 years of active-duty service in the Navy.

Rhee is most famous at home for saving the life of Arizona Rep. Gabby Giffords after she was shot point-blank in the head with a handgun fired by a mass shooter in 2011. “A handgun [wound] is simply a stabbing with a bullet,” says Rhee. “It goes in like a nail.” With the high-velocity rounds of the AR-15, he adds, “its as if you shot somebody with a Coke can.”

Versions of the AR-15 have been the U.S. military’s standard-issue assault rifle in every war since Vietnam. But only in the past dozen years have semi-automatic models become a fixture of American life. Gun-makers – emboldened by Congress and cloaked in the Second Amendment – have elevated the AR-15 into an avatar of civilian manhood, independence and patriotism. In the process, this off-patent combat rifle has become an infinitely customizable weapon platform that now accounts for nearly one in five guns sold in America. The federal government has deemed them “semi-automatic assault rifles” with magazine capacities that serve “no sporting purpose.” But the National Rifle Association now simply calls the AR-15 “America’s Rifle.”

The mass-market boom of the AR has been horrific for the rest of us. Adam Lanza stormed Sandy Hook Elementary with a Bushmaster AR-15, laying down more than 150 rounds in less than five minutes and slaughtering 20 first-graders. James Holmes wielded a Smith & Wesson “Military & Police” (M&P) AR-15 fitted with a 100-round drum magazine in his siege of a movie theater that killed 12 and wounded 58. The San Bernardino, California, shooters carried a pair of AR-15s in their ISIS-inspired rampage that left 14 dead. Orlando shooter Omar Mateen deployed Sig Sauer’s concealable “next-generation AR” to murder 49 and injure dozens more at the Pulse nightclub – the deadliest mass shooting in modern American history.

“Time and time again we see it used to do what it was designed to do, which is to kill a lot of people in a short amount of time,” says Mark Barden, managing director of the Sandy Hook Promise, a group dedicated to protecting children from gun violence.

How and why the AR15 is still available to civilians in this country is simply beyond me. I have been calling for it to be banned for decades. At this point, I give up. No other developed country in the world allows the everyday citizen to just walk into a gun store and buy one for no reason. We have no one else to blame for the situation we're in but ourselves.

It's painful to be so bitterly disappointed in a country I loved for so many of my 78 years of living in it.

That should read some Republicans. I'd wager most didn't wear it. I can't stand Republicans, but phrasing matters.

1, 3 , 100. It doesn't matter how many, it is all disdainful. Pin or no pin, we all know how they will do everything to dismiss and downplay this and do everything but admit it is a gun problem. We all know which way they will vote when it comes to gun legislation.

oh and also

United States Congressman Clay Higgins (R-Louisiana) attempted to redefine reality during an Oversight Committee hearing in the House of Representatives on Wednesday, just two days after six people – three students and three staffers – were killed in a mass shooting at the Christian Covenant School in Nashville, Tennessee.

"Regarding gun violence and gun violence being the number one cause of death of children in America today, you'll hear that a lot. Let me correct both," Higgins said. "There's no such thing as gun violence. There's only human violence. It's intellectually unsound to state otherwise, and the number one cause of death for children in America remains abortion."

The grim statistic about firearms and kids is objectively true, while Higgins' subsequent statement is a matter of personal interpretation of when, or if, life begins inside the womb.

"Firearms accounted for nearly 19% of childhood deaths (ages 1-18) in 2021, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Wonder database. Nearly 3,600 children died in gun-related incidents that year. That's about five children lost for every 100,000 children in the United States," CNN noted. "In no other comparable country are firearms within the top four causes of mortality among children, according to a KFF analysis."...............

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom