Now is not the time to talk about gun control (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

What's to stop the teacher from being an abject coward like the pigs at Uvalde?

Unless you want teachers to have a direct mandate to protect children...one which the police appear to lack.

Even worse, what if a teacher snaps? They are human after all….insanely bad idea….introducing more guns is not a good idea….at all….

Unless you want teachers to have a direct mandate to protect children...one which the police appear to lack.
    I think self-preservation as well and the teachers actually trying to protect the kids they know and love would be strong motivators to act with some valor. The police don't have those same feelings imo. But that's really the only thing I can point to. Obviously they would been to be well-trained for this to not be a pointless exercise.

And actually, I think a lot of teachers would gladly put themselves in harm's way to protect their kids. At least that the sense I get with the teachers I know personally.

Of course, I think it should be optional for the teachers since not all would be willing to handle a gun in the kind of situation that would warrant it.

I think self-preservation as well and the teachers actually trying to protect the kids they know and love would be strong motivators to act with some valor. The police don't have those same feelings imo. But that's really the only thing I can point to. Obviously they would been to be well-trained for this to not be a pointless exercise.

And actually, I think a lot of teachers would gladly put themselves in harm's way to protect their kids. At least that the sense I get with the teachers I know personally.

Of course, I think it should be optional for the teachers since not all would be willing to handle a gun in the kind of situation that would warrant it.

I used to think a lot of cops would also put themselves in harm's way for a child. I was wrong.

How about we not put teachers in position where they need to make such decisions? They are human like the rest of us. Its not difficult. Normalizing these ideas is asinine. Gun makers are making a killing.

Just a good gun-carrying citizen keeping us all safe.

I am not 100% certain of the validity until the press from Gilbert AZ get a hold of this story. The follow up is that the skate boarder reported to the police after that man with the gun followed them. The police viewed the video from the church and subsequently arrested that man.

How about we not put teachers in position where they need to make such decisions? They are human like the rest of us. Its not difficult. Normalizing these ideas is asinine. Gun makers are making a killing.
    I agree they are and I agree teachers shouldn't be put in those kinds of situations, but here we are.

The teachers are usually barricaded inside the room with the students. I don't think the teachers are going to be chasing after the bad guy. I think the goal is for them to have a last line of defense if their room is breached and the cops haven't arrived yet.

On the other hand, there's some obvious caveats to this. The first is, in order for this to be an effective means of response, pretty much every teacher has to be trained and armed. Otherwise, if Classroom A has an armed teacher barricaded inside, but Classroom B has an unarmed teacher and the shooter breaches Classroom B, Classroom B is still defenseless and the armed teacher in Classroom A is barricaded inside and probably can't help anyway.

And what if every teacher doesn't want to be armed and trained? Do they get to continue teaching at that school? And what if a shooter breaches their classroom? Does the district bear responsibility for failing to have an armed teacher in every classroom to protect those students?

And the obvious - if every teacher is armed, then that means the bad teachers are armed. And armed bad teachers having bad days is a bad recipe.

Ordinarily, I'd just dismiss this idea out of hand, but after the Uvalde massacre and horrific response by the police forces, I have to think that a well-trained teacher with a gun to defend his/her students would be better than being unable to defend themselves at all. Some might still die, but a teacher responding might make a difference. I mean, idk. Does it happen often enough to warrant it, or is it rare enough that we don't need to arm teachers?

Personally, I'm a bit torn on it. If my kids are in school, I feel like I'd want their teacher to have that option, but my youngest just graduated, and no grandkids yet, so...idk.

"North Carolina sheriff stocking schools with AR-15 rifles
    August 7, 2022

MARSHALL, N.C. (AP) — When schools in one North Carolina county reopen later this month, new security measures will include stocking AR-15 rifles for school resource officers to use in the event of an active shooter....." https://apnews.com/article/texas-north-carolina-f2b8b83af7165cc9b20846a0500bda19

Is a "school resource officer" a teacher?

Last edited:
    I agree they are and I agree teachers shouldn't be put in those kinds of situations, but here we are.
    Sorry but I'm not accepting, "but here we are". Ukrainians have to live with "here we are" fighting for their lives. We on the other hand don't have to accept "here we are". A society that allows their children and teachers armed out of fear of some deranged idiot w/ a weapon of war is a society rotten to the core. It angers me that when I give out facts such as Australia saw a tremendous drop in mass shooting after strict gun laws to a pro-gun member in my family and the response was, "well those facts needed to be out in the public so we are better informed". That isn't here we are. That's just the media bubble thinking for them. We can do better.

August 7, 2022

MARSHALL, N.C. (AP) — When schools in one North Carolina county reopen later this month, new security measures will include stocking AR-15 rifles for school resource officers to use in the event of an active shooter....." https://apnews.com/article/texas-north-carolina-f2b8b83af7165cc9b20846a0500bda19

No, usually a law enforcement type. That’s what our local sheriff’s dept. calls them, anyway. They used to rotate deputies through the high schools and now they have deputies permanently assigned as school resource officers.

The teachers are usually barricaded inside the room with the students. I don't think the teachers are going to be chasing after the bad guy. I think the goal is for them to have a last line of defense if their room is breached and the cops haven't arrived yet.

On the other hand, there's some obvious caveats to this. The first is, in order for this to be an effective means of response, pretty much every teacher has to be trained and armed. Otherwise, if Classroom A has an armed teacher barricaded inside, but Classroom B has an unarmed teacher and the shooter breaches Classroom B, Classroom B is still defenseless and the armed teacher in Classroom A is barricaded inside and probably can't help anyway.

And what if every teacher doesn't want to be armed and trained? Do they get to continue teaching at that school? And what if a shooter breaches their classroom? Does the district bear responsibility for failing to have an armed teacher in every classroom to protect those students?

And the obvious - if every teacher is armed, then that means the bad teachers are armed. And armed bad teachers having bad days is a bad recipe.
    Good post. If bad teachers having bad days with a gun in the classroom, that's probably more likely to happen than some random individual shooting up a given school, so I would think the calculus is problematic at best for supporting guns in school.

Conventionally, guns in schools don't seem to be a viable option, but idk.

August 7, 2022

Yeah, I'm not sure what it's practically supposed to look like.

Sorry but I'm not accepting, "but here we are". Ukrainians have to live with "here we are" fighting for their lives. We on the other hand don't have to accept "here we are". A society that allows their children and teachers armed out of fear of some deranged idiot w/ a weapon of war is a society rotten to the core. It angers me that when I give out facts such as Australia saw a tremendous drop in mass shooting after strict gun laws to a pro-gun member in my family and the response was, "well those facts needed to be out in the public so we are better informed". That isn't here we are. That's just the media bubble thinking for them. We can do better.
    What I mean by here we are is we live in a society, and public schools in particular, vulnerable to a crazy idiot's actions with a gun.

Of course we can do better. How can we get to that better place? Idk.

No, usually a law enforcement type. That’s what our local sheriff’s dept. calls them, anyway. They used to rotate deputies through the high schools and now they have deputies permanently assigned as school resource officers.
    And I trust a teacher more than I do those "resource officers" or whatever they're called.

What I mean by here we are is we live in a society, and public schools in particular, vulnerable to a crazy idiot's actions with a gun.

Of course we can do better. How can we get to that better place? Idk.
    Dont we already have an idea? We have all these developed countries with strict gun laws and have very few mass shooting? Specifically the dramatic drop in Australia. Dont we have what 3 times the number of guns produced than 2000? Dont we have a rise in mass shooting after the Brady bill expired? Surely the us cannot have a monopoly on the crazies.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom