Now is not the time to talk about gun control (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

No, usually a law enforcement type. That’s what our local sheriff’s dept. calls them, anyway. They used to rotate deputies through the high schools and now they have deputies permanently assigned as school resource officers.
That's what I figured. So we aren't talking about teachers being charged with acquiring the school's AR15 and going after the shooter in the case of this county in North Carolina. We're talking about a school, or town, or county, resource officer.

Dont we already have an idea? We have all these developed countries with strict gun laws and have very few mass shooting? Specifically the dramatic drop in Australia. Dont we have what 3 times the number of guns produced than 2020? Dont we have a rise in mass shooting after the Brady bill expired? Surely the us cannot have a monopoly on the crazies.
Exactly right. However, the difference between Australia, New Zealand, and the US is the NRA, 2A, and all those in this country who believe that owning a firearm is somehow sacrosanct.

Ordinarily, I'd just dismiss this idea out of hand, but after the Uvalde massacre and horrific response by the police forces, I have to think that a well-trained teacher with a gun to defend his/her students would be better than being unable to defend themselves at all. Some might still die, but a teacher responding might make a difference. I mean, idk. Does it happen often enough to warrant it, or is it rare enough that we don't need to arm teachers?

Personally, I'm a bit torn on it. If my kids are in school, I feel like I'd want their teacher to have that option, but my youngest just graduated, and no grandkids yet, so...idk.

IMO, unfortunately, you will probably have cases where a student finds away to get a hold of that gun and bad stuff are gonna happen! In a few instances, more guns will help, but in the long run it will have the opposite effect! I mean, why did Desantis ban guns at the last convention? He is very much pro-gun, but apparently not when it comes protecting himself!

IMO, unfortunately, you will probably have cases where a student finds away to get a hold of that gun and bad stuff are gonna happen! In a few instances, more guns will help, but in the long run it will have the opposite effect! I mean, why did Desantis ban guns at the last convention? He is very much pro-gun, but apparently not when it comes protecting himself!

Once again, the hypocrisy is the point.

Once again, the hypocrisy is the point.
Yes, exactly. It’s done to prove to their followers that they have the power to do whatever they want whenever they want. Rules and laws are for other people, not for them. The autocracy playbook.

Sorry but I'm not accepting, "but here we are". Ukrainians have to live with "here we are" fighting for their lives. We on the other hand don't have to accept "here we are". A society that allows their children and teachers armed out of fear of some deranged idiot w/ a weapon of war is a society rotten to the core. It angers me that when I give out facts such as Australia saw a tremendous drop in mass shooting after strict gun laws to a pro-gun member in my family and the response was, "well those facts needed to be out in the public so we are better informed". That isn't here we are. That's just the media bubble thinking for them. We can do better.

You are right, and it annoys the hell out of me! Anytime someone brings up Australia, I usually think of stand up comedian Jim Jeffries. It might have been posted earlier in this thread, but it’s incredible funny, and a little sad at the same time! Highly recommended!

Smith & Wesson CEO Mark Smith was fed up. He was running the largest firearms manufacturer in America, based in Springfield, Mass., where it had been making weapons since 1860, and yet state lawmakers were considering a bill to ban the manufacture of AR-15-style rifles for the civilian market.

The proposed law would cripple Smith’s company. Sixty percent of Smith & Wesson’s revenue came from AR-15-style guns.

So after years of flirting with the idea, Smith announced last September that Smith & Wesson was pulling up stakes and moving its headquarters from Massachusetts to Tennessee.

Deciding to leave was “extremely difficult,” Smith told investors, but “we feel that we have been left with no other alternative.”

At least 20 firearms, ammunition and gun accessory companies — including some of the industry’s biggest names, such as Beretta and Remington Arms — have moved headquarters or shifted production from traditionally Democratic blue states to Republican red ones over the past decade, relocating thousands of jobs and hundreds of millions of dollars in investment amid the nation’s sharpening divide over guns. The companies were enticed by tax breaks and the promise of cheaper labor.

But the biggest factor often was the push for stricter gun laws in many of the Democratic-leaning states.

“They’re going where they’re wanted,” said John Harris, a Nashville attorney and executive director of the Tennessee Firearms Association.

The result is a firearms industry that is increasingly rooted in the South and, to a lesser extent, the West, weakening ties to the Northeast that stretch back to the Revolutionary War. The dramatic shift illustrates the economic fallout from political polarization among the states, where laws and attitudes are increasingly diverging on hot-button cultural issues, including abortion rights.

It also reveals a growing frustration among some left-leaning lawmakers with a homegrown industry that they see as unwilling to even discuss gun violence...........

The departures have come in waves, often prompted by legislative reactions to high-profile mass shootings — first the 2012 school shooting in Newtown Conn., and then the 2018 school shooting in Parkland, Fla. Some states run by Democrats tightened gun laws. Republican states often moved in the opposite direction, sometimes loosening gun restrictions in the wake of mass shootings, studies show.

New gun laws led Beretta USA to move its manufacturing operations from Maryland for Tennessee in 2014. Mossberg shipped its shotgun production from Connecticut to Texas that same year. That’s also when Magpul Industries, among the country’s largest producers of ammunition magazines, left Colorado for Texas and Wyoming.

In 2019, Stag Arms trumpeted its departure of Connecticut for Wyoming.

The next year, gunmaker Kimber Manufacturing fled New York for Alabama.

Last November, two months after Smith & Wesson’s farewell, the owner of Remington Arms, the nation’s oldest gunmaker, revealed it was moving its headquarters from Ilion, N.Y. to LaGrange, Ga., pledging to invest $100 million and hire 856 people in its new home.

“We are very excited to come to Georgia, a state that not only welcomes business but enthusiastically supports and welcomes companies in the firearms industry,” Ken D’Arcy, CEO of Roundhill Group, which owns RemArms, said in a statement. His company bought the Remington rifle brand and several others from Remington Outdoor in a bankruptcy sale.

Republican lawmakers have encouraged gun companies to move and looked to lure them to their own states, viewing it as an opportunity to add jobs and burnish culture war credentials.

Last year, Oklahoma lawmakers launched a study of ways to attract gunmakers to the Sooner state. At the 2022 Shot Show, the firearms industry’s major annual trade show, governors from six states traveled to Las Vegas to sell their communities to the manufacturers of guns, ammunition and accessories. All of them were Republicans...........

Last edited:
"Polycarbonate bullet-resistant sheeting covers the front doors of the cafeteria at Sacred Heart Parish School in Uvalde, on Aug. 14, 2022. The private school, which saw its enrollment more than double from the previous year, has implemented additional security features for the new school year."

Sacred Heart Protection Prep 0814 EL 23.jpg

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/09/06/uvalde-back-to-school/

Credit card purchases of firearms in the US can now be tracked and purchases deemed suspicious can even be shared with law enforcement, according to a new measure approved by an organization that sets parameters for business transactions.

The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) voted in favor of creating a merchant code for firearms stores, according to Reuters……

Credit card purchases of firearms in the US can now be tracked and purchases deemed suspicious can even be shared with law enforcement, according to a new measure approved by an organization that sets parameters for business transactions.

The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) voted in favor of creating a merchant code for firearms stores, according to Reuters……

I heard something about this on NPR the other day. I like it.

I wonder how many stores in the US will decide to stupidly become cash-only.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
Top Bottom