Now is not the time to talk about gun control (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

There's a lot of truth to what you're saying but I wouldn't eliminate the ability to carry a weapon in brown bear country. And I don't mean for hunting. I would, like you, recommend bear spray above all else.

BTW, I'm not talking about black bears. We have those here in New England and I don't know anyone, outside of some Maine Guides, that carry for protection against them.

I have little to no fear of black bears…I’ve probably run into 20+ over the years fishing and hiking, they have only turned and run (or lumbered) the other way….I guess my question is if bear spray is more effective why is there a need to carry a gun (if not hunting) at all…..

If I have this correct, the shooter had a suicide threat in 2019 and threatened to kill everyone in his house in 2020, with both reported to the police. I suppose the immediate question is, how did he then pass 5 background checks in the next 2 years to purchase 5 firearms? In the short term, that is definitely something legislators need to work on. Not sure if the new federal red flag law addresses that.
    The Uvalde shooter actually was arrested years earlier because he threatened to shoot up a school right after he graduated.

And yet he passed a background check and bought two ARs just days before he did exactly what he said he would do and was arrested for it.

And somehow some people are *still* against background checks. The system is horribly broken.

The Uvalde shooter actually was arrested years earlier because he threatened to shoot up a school right after he graduated.

And yet he passed a background check and bought two ARs just days before he did exactly what he said he would do and was arrested for it.

And somehow some people are *still* against background checks. The system is horribly broken.
    I think it depends on what qualifies on background checks. I have a relative who has a non-violent felony from over 20 years ago and he still can't get a permit/license. Yet you have an adult here who didn't show up on 4 different background checks. I don't know if it's a reporting issue or what, but clearly some are falling through the cracks the way things are now.

I thought they revealed that he wasn't one of the people arrested for making those threats. It was two others.

Either way, even if he was arrested and convicted, he would have been as a minor and I don't think it would have shown up in a background check anyway unless Texas law allows for it.

I think it depends on what qualifies on background checks. I have a relative who has a non-violent felony from over 20 years ago and he still can't get a permit/license. Yet you have an adult here who didn't show up on 4 different background checks. I don't know if it's a reporting issue or what, but clearly some are falling through the cracks the way things are now.

Anyone convicted of a felony, regardless of the type of felony, gets reported immediately to the ATF, and gun rights go bye-bye. Remember G. Gordon Liddy? He was convicted of 3 different non-violent felonies (wiretapping, burglary, conspiracy). People would call to his radio show (which I used to listen to) and ask him which guns he owned, and his reply was "I am a convicted felon. I can't own a gun. My wife, however, owns 34 of them".

................ People would call to his radio show (which I used to listen to) and ask him which guns he owned, and his reply was "I am a convicted felon. I can't own a gun. My wife, however, owns 34 of them".
    Ha ha. At least he was upfront about it.

Yeah, it's a very imperfect science.

Anyone convicted of a felony, regardless of the type of felony, gets reported immediately to the ATF, and gun rights go bye-bye. Remember G. Gordon Liddy? He was convicted of 3 different non-violent felonies (wiretapping, burglary, conspiracy). People would call to his radio show (which I used to listen to) and ask him which guns he owned, and his reply was "I am a convicted felon. I can't own a gun. My wife, however, owns 34 of them".
    Yeah, the kicker is the felony he was charged with is a misdemeanor in like 35 states. Felonies aren't all equal from state to state, but at the federal level, it's all the same to them iirc.

I thought they revealed that he wasn't one of the people arrested for making those threats. It was two others.

Either way, even if he was arrested and convicted, he would have been as a minor and I don't think it would have shown up in a background check anyway unless Texas law allows for it.
    I hadn't seen that correction. Thanks for the clarification.

But to me even if as a minor, those things should still show on a gun background check. Maybe sunset them after 10-15 years, but definitely not just when someone turns 18.

This would be extremely difficult here but I'd love to see it:

Canada vows to ‘freeze’ handgun sales, buy back assault-style weapons
    Image without a caption

By Amanda Coletta
    May 30, 2022 at 10:20 p.m. EDT
    .......................................................snip........................................................
    "The measures unveiled Monday come after the government banned 1,500 makes and models of “military-style assault weapons” in 2020, after a gunman posing as a police officer charged across rural Nova Scotia, killing 22 people, including a Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer, in the country’s deadliest mass shooting.

The government said Monday that it plans to introduce a mandatory buyback program that would offer compensation to owners of the banned firearms. Details on the program are expected this summer, and the government hopes to begin buying back the guns, including AR-15s, the kind used in the school attack in Texas, by the end of the year.

“It’s going to be hard,” said Marco Mendicino, Canada’s public safety minister. “But we’re going to get it done.”

Last edited:
    This would be extremely difficult here but I'd love to see it:

Image without a caption

By Amanda Coletta
    May 30, 2022 at 10:20 p.m. EDT
    .......................................................snip........................................................
    "The measures unveiled Monday come after the government banned 1,500 makes and models of “military-style assault weapons” in 2020, after a gunman posing as a police officer charged across rural Nova Scotia, killing 22 people, including a Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer, in the country’s deadliest mass shooting.

The government said Monday that it plans to introduce a mandatory buyback program that would offer compensation to owners of the banned firearms. Details on the program are expected this summer, and the government hopes to begin buying back the guns, including AR-15s, the kind used in the school attack in Texas, by the end of the year.

“It’s going to be hard,” said Marco Mendicino, Canada’s public safety minister. “But we’re going to get it done.”
    I'm all for it, but good luck actually getting it done here.

from Dilbert creator (turned far right nutjob) Scott Adams
    ========================================
    After the recent mass shooting in Highland Park, Ill., cartoonist Scott Adams is speaking out about what he calls the country's "dangerous young man problem." And his conclusions — by his own admission — aren't easy to read.

The "Dilbert" creator also brought the fentanyl overdose epidemic into the mix, less than four years after his own stepson fatally overdosed on that drug.

"The Highland shooting and every Fentanyl overdose death among the young are teaching us the same lesson, and we refuse to learn it. It's difficult, but I'm qualified to give you this lesson (unfortunately). This won't be easy to read," Adams wrote Wednesday morning, kicking off a long series of tweets inspired in part by the Fourth of July parade shooting that left seven people dead and more than three dozen wounded.

The 21-year-old suspected shooter allegedly sprayed dozens of rounds of gunfire into the holiday crowd, dressed as a woman to help in his escape and contemplated a second shooting before he was arrested. He is now being held without bail pending arraignment.

"When a young male (let's say 14 to 19) is a danger to himself and others, society gives the supporting family two options," he continued. "1. Watch people die. 2. Kill your own son. Those are your only options. I chose #1 and watched my stepson die. I was relieved he took no one else with him."

He dismissed as "delusional" anyone who thinks that there is another way, involving tough love and government assistance, that "fixes" such a person. Adams rejected the notion that "services and ways to deal with such a teen" exist........

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom