Now is not the time to talk about gun control (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Thread from one of the people at the scene.

(this hits a little close to home for me - close friends of our daughter live there - they were in each other’s weddings - they were at the parade with their two kids, about a block away-they had to run and hide, but are safe now).

Good thing we’re working on passing useless bipartisan legislation.

Good thing we’re working on passing useless bipartisan legislation.
    Biden signed it just a day or two ago. And while it’s not nearly enough, I’m not gonna scoff at it. I heard someone on tv actually say - the new law wasn’t able to stop this shooting, as if any of the new things had been implemented within 48 hours of its signing. 🤦‍♀️

I'm anxious to see how this one is handled. His dad ran for mayor of Highland Park under the MAGAt platform. He, and his family are supporters of he who shall not be named.

I'm going to go with undiagnosed mental illness and this will be forgotten outside of the Chicago area by the end of the week.

Biden signed it just a day or two ago. And while it’s not nearly enough, I’m not gonna scoff at it. I heard someone on tv actually say - the new law wasn’t able to stop this shooting, as if any of the new things had been implemented within 48 hours of its signing. 🤦‍♀️
    Yeah, it's probably gonna take 12-24 months before we have an idea of how much of a dent it will make. I think it will help a bit, but not near as much as some of the more meaningful ideas that have been proposed.

This is an angle of these mass shootings that I hadn’t considered: that making public gatherings seem unsafe can only make any divisions in this country wider.

Machine Gun Kelly performing on CNN’s 4th in America is apropos as fork.

The NRA would have you believe that individuals grabbed their personal weapons and defeated the British with no other arms. Not quite:

"Supplying its troops with the weapons required to win the Revolutionary War was a critical, complex and ever-present issue for the new American nation. When the war began in 1775, there were few factories in America capable of producing firearms, swords and other weapons—let alone in the quantities necessary to sustain an army for several years. At the height of the war, fifty thousand men served in the Continental Army, with another thirty thousand state and militia troops fighting for the American cause. To arm these soldiers against the well-supplied British regulars, American officials gathered weapons from an array of sources on two continents."

Last edited:
    Hopefully the voters will let him know it was a very bad idea!
    In Illinois, it's the Northeast section of the state vs. the rest of the state. Fortunately, Chicago is in the Northeastern part of the state. The rest of the state, with the exception of some college towns, is deep red.

This country needs to come to terms with the fact that owning a gun really isn’t that important. It is definitely a luxury that most families could live without. It really is. Owning a car is much more important to personal freedom than a gun.

This country needs to come to terms with the fact that owning a gun really isn’t that important. It is definitely a luxury that most families could live without. It really is. Owning a car is much more important to personal freedom than a gun.
    Some people act like everyone is living in the old frontier where people needed guns to put food on the table for their family, or that they live in the South Side of Chicago and have to walk through gang controlled areas to get groceries.

Unfortunately, you may be right. I say unfortunately because I like to shoot and I enjoy a firearm as a tool. But...........we aren't doing too well.

P.S. There are a few people, areas, where a gun is still a good idea. Ranches, areas where they have brown bears, and so forth, but that's about it.

Last edited:
    Unfortunately, you may be right. I say unfortunately because I like to shoot and I enjoy a firearm as a tool. But...........we aren't doing too well.

P.S. There are a few people, areas, where a gun is still a good idea. Ranches, areas where they have brown bears, and so forth, but that's about it.
    But you don’t need a high capacity magazine for bears. You just don’t.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom