Now is not the time to talk about gun control (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

BTW: not a man, lol.

So let’s start with rifles that have certain characteristics- high muzzle speed, light weight, capability of firing repeatedly in a few seconds, etc.

I know the caliber isn’t as important as muzzle speed, and I don’t know anything about guns. I also knew what System showed wasn’t a rifle as soon as I saw it, so I just don’t buy the idea that it cannot be done. We can do anything we set our minds to in America. Just because CA tried it and it didn’t work doesn’t mean we give up, we tweak the law and keep at it.

When America decided to tackle highway fatalities, it didn’t just all of a sudden work - it took some research and trial and error. When America decided it wasn’t cool for airplanes to crash, it took some time and effort. But to just say, (and I‘m not talking about you personally, but most gun enthusiasts) it cannot be done is self-defeating and feels like it’s saying - the kids just have to die.

Sure, absolutely do the things you are talking about - they will all help. But I just saw a former law enforcement officer on TV say that a killer in a locked room with an AR-15 could kill 30 people in 40 seconds. Why does anyone in the civilian world need this type of weapon?
    Banning calibers is difficult. I have a Ruger that is a bolt action rifle that shoots .223. I think the best approach is to go after magazines. There is zero need for a person to need a magazine on a rifle larger than 5 rounds. Start there and require a 2 step process to slow down changing mags. I am not an engineer so I have no clue how that is done but the limit is easy.

It's already a 2 step process. You push a button and the old mag falls out, then you insert a new mag. 2 steps. Of course you have to retrieve the new mag also.
    I mean you push the mag release then another action before the mag falls.

Banning calibers is difficult. I have a Ruger that is a bolt action rifle that shoots .223. I think the best approach is to go after magazines. There is zero need for a person to need a magazine on a rifle larger than 5 rounds. Start there and require a 2 step process to slow down changing mags. I am not an engineer so I have no clue how that is done but the limit is easy.
    Yes, I said that the caliber isn’t the most important attribute. I am asking, as someone who doesn’t know much about guns, from a more analytical standpoint, can we not make a general description of a type of gun that fits the deadly characteristics we want to ban? Set limits on muzzle speed, light weight, ease of reloading, sure-magazine capacity, ability to fire multiple rounds rapidly?

Can we not build a profile of a gun that wouldn’t be available to civilians?

I don’t care what they call the weapon, or whether it’s a long gun or handgun, if it fits the profile, it cannot be purchased by civilians.

Okay - I get that your pride was hurt, and possibly Semper shouldn’t have doubted your experiences. But at the same time, Semper is actually good people, and you should both show some grace here. We are all on the same side here, really.
    Thank you.

@BullSheetBuddha if you are a veteran thank you for your service. I was a corpsman with the Marine Corp I know what a 5.56 round is capable of and I also know there is an exception to every rule so my apologies for doubting your story.

Yes, I said that the caliber isn’t the most important attribute. I am asking, as someone who doesn’t know much about guns, from a more analytical standpoint, can we not make a general description of a type of gun that fits the deadly characteristics we want to ban? Set limits on muzzle speed, light weight, ease of reloading, sure-magazine capacity, ability to fire multiple rounds rapidly?

Can we not build a profile of a gun that wouldn’t be available to civilians?
    Caliber is possible but I believe there would be a lot of issues. For instance I deer hunt with a bolt action .270. The rounds I make are 130 grains and shoot at a muzzle velocit of just over 3,000 fps and comes with a mag that holds 4 rounds. If we ban a velocity then we ban most rifles used for hunting. I think if we ban magazine sizes we would be more successful. The thing I always want is to do it in an educated way. The minute we say let’s ban something people get their panties in a wad and we go no where. Changing the 2nd amendment would be darn near impossible, but I believe the President could reduce mag capacity with an executive order. I think our goal is to bring as many gun owners to this side of the table and it would be more successful.

Thank you.

@BullSheetBuddha if you are a veteran thank you for your service. I was a corpsman with the Marine Corp I know what a 5.56 round is capable of and I also know there is an exception to every rule so my apologies for doubting your story.
    And when I got wounded in Vietnam Ft. Devens hospital, Massachusettes, was full so they sent me to Chelsea Naval Hospital, Massachuettes. I was surrounded by Marines and corpsmen. Not one of them ever spoke to me as you did. I have no use for you what-so-ever.

Last edited:
    You seem to think AR-15s are some sort of magical sticks with magical exploding bullets. There is a lot that's not explained in that video, BTW. But wait until you see what an AK can do.
    I just put up a video. Any magic is in your head.

Last edited:
    @Semper

Okay - then if the weapon doesn’t have the light weight and magazine size and ability to fire rapidly, having the high muzzle speed would be okay. But a gun that has all of these characteristics isn’t available.

Magazine size alone won’t have the same impact as getting rid of the type of weapons, I’m afraid. There’s certainly a precedent - there are tons of types of weapons we aren’t allowed to own as civilians. We wouldn’t have to change the 2nd Amendment, which would be impossible.

oh my its never the time to talk about weapons or controlling them is it.

nope thats something mericans cant get to, dont have time dont have interest.
    yet they are quite used to getting everything else they want like...well i cant think
    of much other than weapons.

you can get weapons but not abortions.
    iow you Can Kill the birthed but you must use a gun.

weapons to KILL ok, abortions to protect women not ok.

typical cognitive dissonance from the 'us'.
    smh.

I put up a video.
    Yes, you did. Of course, with the right round, you can make a 9mm do the same thing to ballistic gel. And again, wait until you see what an AK can do to that gel. But you were in Viet Nam, so you know what an AK can do, right? And how the standard round it fires has higher stopping power than the round the AR-15 fires? And that you can buy AKs at the same place than you can buy ARs for just about the same price?

Any magic is in your head.
    The angry old man schtick is wearing thin.

And when I got wounded in Vietnam Ft. Devens hospital, Massachusettes, was full so they sent me to Chelsea Naval Hospital, Massachuettes. I was surrounded by Marines and corpsmen. Not one of them ever spoke to me as you did. I have no use for you what-so-ever.
    Your choice. I will sleep just fine tonight. Have a nice day.

Yes, you did. Of course, with the right round, you can make a 9mm do the same thing to ballistic gel. And again, wait until you see what an AK can do to that gel. But you were in Viet Nam, so you know what an AK can do, right? And how the standard round it fires has higher stopping power than the round the AR-15 fires? And that you can buy AKs at the same place than you can buy ARs for just about the same price?

The angry old man schtick is wearing thin.
    Hey, I have a great idea. Lets not ban the AR15.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom