Now is not the time to talk about gun control (5 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

We are not discussing caliber at the moment. We are Sl discussing terms that we can use in a ban.
    Just ban the AR15 for now and worry about the other BS later. They tried that no bayonet lug etc. before, it was laughable. I bought an AR15 during that so-called ban.

That rifle comes in many calibers though. .223, 5.56, 308, 300 win, 9mm, 7.62….

Gee, who knew?

Last edited:
    Relax Francis, these are very difficult and trying Times that we are all trying to live through take it with a grain of salt and move on I personally would accept the apology and try and be the bigger person.. I too am a veteran but I just never turned into a gun aficionado/enthusiast.Never had the need to own one or fire one and I hope I never will. And let’s all thank each other for our service shall we.
    I have nothing against you my friend.

Here is an article that sounds very interesting.

Background checks should always be a requirement. One thing that Illinois did was allow private sales but set up a free system to get a background check on the person you’re selling too. Wisconsin doesn’t require that at all. I can take one of my firearms to Milwaukee and sell it to anyone with no background check. I would not do that of course but it is legal. Any gun I sell goes through an FFL. I am fairly positive no matter where you go if you buy from an FFL there has to be a background check. An FFL can also deny any person a firearm for whatever reason they choose. I have always liked that. Another component is to tie their mental health record to their criminal record. That is not always done but should be.

I am warming up to Beto. This is how you do it - this is what Republicans would say given the chance:

I’m giving you a thumbs up for posting it, I wish there was a clown emoji I could give it to Governor Abbott

Background checks should always be a requirement. One thing that Illinois did was allow private sales but set up a free system to get a background check on the person you’re selling too. Wisconsin doesn’t require that at all. I can take one of my firearms to Milwaukee and sell it to anyone with no background check. I would not do that of course but it is legal. Any gun I sell goes through an FFL. I am fairly positive no matter where you go if you buy from an FFL there has to be a background check. An FFL can also deny any person a firearm for whatever reason they choose. I have always liked that. Another component is to tie their mental health record to their criminal record. That is not always done but should be.
    How does that work in Illinois? Does the seller of the weapon have to report the sale with a copy of the background search that he performed on the set buyer? Inquiry minds want to know

This article is great, very illuminating:

“In that study, which was published March 28, 2019, in the Journal of General Internal Medicine, Siegel’s team analyzed 25 years of national data to examine the relationship between 10 different types of state laws and the number of deaths by homicide and suicide in all 50 states. State gun laws requiring universal background checks for all gun sales resulted in homicide rates 15 percent lower than states without such laws. Laws prohibiting the possession of firearms by people who have been convicted of a violent crime were associated with an 18 percent reduction in homicide rates. In contrast, Siegel found that laws regulating the type of firearms people have access to—such as assault weapon bans and large capacity ammunition magazine bans—and “stand your ground” laws have no effect on the rate of firearm-related homicide. None of the state gun laws studied were found to be related to overall suicide rates.

Universal background checks, which have long been a top priority for gun control advocates and policymakers in the United States, appear to have the biggest impact. Though there has been a push for federal gun regulations in recent years, the power to legislate gun sales and gun ownership is largely beholden to the states. And according to Siegel, the data don’t lie. The average firearm homicide rate in states without background checks is 58 percent higher than the average in states with background-check laws in place. As of 2017, only 13 states, including Massachusetts, had laws requiring universal background checks.”

BTW, Andy Richter, of all people, tweeted out that article.

“In that study, which was published March 28, 2019, in the Journal of General Internal Medicine, Siegel’s team analyzed 25 years of national data to examine the relationship between 10 different types of state laws and the number of deaths by homicide and suicide in all 50 states. State gun laws requiring universal background checks for all gun sales resulted in homicide rates 15 percent lower than states without such laws. Laws prohibiting the possession of firearms by people who have been convicted of a violent crime were associated with an 18 percent reduction in homicide rates. In contrast, Siegel found that laws regulating the type of firearms people have access to—such as assault weapon bans and large capacity ammunition magazine bans—and “stand your ground” laws have no effect on the rate of firearm-related homicide. None of the state gun laws studied were found to be related to overall suicide rates.

Universal background checks, which have long been a top priority for gun control advocates and policymakers in the United States, appear to have the biggest impact. Though there has been a push for federal gun regulations in recent years, the power to legislate gun sales and gun ownership is largely beholden to the states. And according to Siegel, the data don’t lie. The average firearm homicide rate in states without background checks is 58 percent higher than the average in states with background-check laws in place. As of 2017, only 13 states, including Massachusetts, had laws requiring universal background checks.”
    Remember, they're talking about regular "firearm homicide rates" not mass killings specifically. Reducing regular "firearm homicide rates" is a whole different animal.

Yes, I realize that this study measures overall homicide. But mass shootings would be included in the data. They are still homocides.

This data has made me change my mind - let’s do what the states do that are effective. Who could object to strictly keeping guns away from those who shouldn’t have them?

Yes, I realize that this study measures overall homicide. But mass shootings would be included in the data. They are still homocides.

This data has made me change my mind - let’s do what the states do that are effective. Who could object to strictly keeping guns away from those who shouldn’t have them?
    Point taken.

How does that work in Illinois? Does the seller of the weapon have to report the sale with a copy of the background search that he performed on the set buyer? Inquiry minds want to know
    The buyer and seller agree. The buyer fills out a form that also includes his foid card. The background check goes through the Illinois State Police website. They then wait the required amount of time. After the time period is over the seller is required to keep a copy of the sale for 7 years which includes foid number and details of the firearm.

I would totally support this on a national basis.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom