Media Tracker (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

SaintForLife

Reaction score
    I figured we needed a thread specifically about the media.

There was a very big correction recently by the Washington Post.

That story was supposedly "independently confirmed" by CNN, NBC News, USA Today, ABC News, & PBS News Hour. How could they all have gotten the quote wrong if they actually independently confirmed the story?

Why do all the errors always go in one political direction and not closer to 50/50?

GG’s first sentence is completely hyperbolic. His second is a pretty thin assumption, which is proven false by the Abrams tweet you posted directly above it.

He‘s not a good source about this stuff. Sorry, he’s just not.

Once again, this is not the big deal you guys want to make of it. There were plenty of inappropriate actions taken by Trump and Trump operatives. Even crimes committed by Trump that were clearly outlined by Mueller.

Yet you want to focus on this dossier exclusively. If people lied to the FBI they will be prosecuted. But the lies told by Trump, Barr and Trump operatives you pay no mind. The Republican led Senate committee found that the Dossier wasn’t the reason for the investigation into Trump.

At this point the Dossier can be looked at as a political dirty trick, and if laws were broken you can bet the DOJ under Garland won’t look the other way. The DOJ under Barr, actually Barr himself, lied to the American people about the Mueller report, and essentially killed it.

So, forgive me if I don’t care about the Dossier. We knew it wasn’t verified, when it was reported on it was said it wasn’t verified. The DOJ is in a much better place than when Trump was messing with it to help his own political ambitions.

Your guys want to smear people who opposed Trump, all the while not caring one bit about what Trump did during the campaign, during his presidency, and after he lost the election. The damage to the country by the Dossier, when weighed against the damage to the country caused by Trump, is minuscule. Like a grain of sand next to a boulder.

I can’t possibly care about the Dossier like you do, because I have perspective.

Anyone try out the new paid version of Twitter? I didn't even know this was a thing until I read a blog post about it today.

Here's some of the author's main points made about "Twitter Blue," -

Twitter Blue​

What’s it cost? $2.99/month

What do you get? Bookmark folders, an “undo tweet” option (more on that in a minute), reader mode for tweet threads, customization, ad-free articles, and early access to new features

The verdict​

Twitter Blue will improve your experience — or at the very least, won’t make your experience on the platform worse. The question is whether or not that’s worth $2.99 per month, and the answer depends entirely on how much you use the site and how comfortable you are with dishing out 10 cents per day for features that could have been built into Twitter for free.

In some sense, it’s good that Scroll and Nuzzel will live on and will hopefully remain supported by Twitter Blue subscriptions over time. When it comes to social media companies acquiring other services, there’s definitely a mixed record. Twitter famously acquired Vine in 2012 only to announce that it was shutting the service down in 2016. Periscope suffered a similar fate.

My opinion on the service seems to mirror that of others like Wired’s Arielle Pardes, who wrote that Twitter Blue is great for journalists and people who consume a lot of news. At The Verge, Chaim Gartenberg makes the case that the improvements included in Twitter Blue are welcome… but that it’s a stretch to say they belong behind a paywall. Slate’s Allegra Frank argues that Twitter missed an opportunity to roll out improvements to the site’s safety features. All three reviews are worth checking out and considering.

As for me, I’ll probably give Twitter Blue a 3-6 month trial. Let’s see what happens from there.

She goes through each of the features one by one and each of them seem like something that would certainly make the user experience on Twitter better. I guess it really comes down to how much you actually use Twitter, how important the time spent using it is to you, and whether or not you have an extra $0.10 per day lying around to cover the monthly cost of Twitter Blue.

I may give it a whirl just to see if it's so much better that I wouldn't mind actually paying for something that I have used for free since 2009 or so.

Let's see if this posts right.

Now, I don't consider Laura Ingrahm to be "News", but since she comments on the news, people take her as a serious editorial show. Or at least, that's what fox implies.

Maybe this should have gone under the education thread, or a humor thread. But this whole mix up is funny. Combination of ignorance and arrogance. But funny either way.

And my point is, why should anyone take her seriously?

Let's see if this posts right.

Now, I don't consider Laura Ingrahm to be "News", but since she comments on the news, people take her as a serious editorial show. Or at least, that's what fox implies.

Maybe this should have gone under the education thread, or a humor thread. But this whole mix up is funny. Combination of ignorance and arrogance. But funny either way.

And my point is, why should anyone take her seriously?

It was a bit.

In light of recent events, Fox “News” deserves any scorn they receive. This video was probably the easiest video these people ever made.

In light of recent events, Fox “News” deserves any scorn they receive. This video was probably the easiest video these people ever made.

There is a site called The Conversation, Acedemic rigor, Journalistic flair. Serendipitously they have an article in their archives suited for this moment.

Foxes, like other animals, use scent to communicate and survive. They urinate to leave their mark, depositing a complex mix of chemicals to send messages to other foxes. Research by myself and colleagues has uncovered new information about these scents that could help control fox numbers.

Urine scent marking behaviour has long been known in foxes, but there has not been a recent study of the chemical composition of fox urine.

We found foxes produce a set of chemicals unknown in other animals. Some of these chemicals are also found in flowers or skunk sprays. One is so potent, a tiny leak was enough to force the evacuation of a building we were working in.

This site is partnered with the

logo-1624588238.png

They're from down under so they know all about Fox

GG’s take here, presumably in response to MTG losing her Twitter privileges, is just spectacularly bad:

Who do you thinks takes over Cuomo’s time slot on CNN

i occasionally watched Smerconish on Saturdays and like his show and I like him during the week

I’d be perfectly fine with him taking over permanently

Other contenders:

Laura Coates - on often as a commentator and fills in for Don Lemon when he’s off, love her and wouldn’t mind if she got a shot

Kaitlyn Collins - seems a little uncomfortable in studio, but she’d probably grow into the role

Soledad O’Brien - don’t know the circumstances of her leaving CNN, or if she’d ever come back, and she‘s taken quite a few shots at mainstream news in general, including CNN and Van Jones in particular. has unique viewpoints and opinions

Scott Jennings - conservative commentator who appears often, filling the Rick Santorum role

Who do you thinks takes over Cuomo’s time slot on CNN

i occasionally watched Smerconish on Saturdays and like his show and I like him during the week

I’d be perfectly fine with him taking over permanently

Other contenders:

Laura Coates - on often as a commentator and fills in for Don Lemon when he’s off, love her and wouldn’t mind if she got a shot

Kaitlyn Collins - seems a little uncomfortable in studio, but she’d probably grow into the role

Soledad O’Brien - don’t know the circumstances of her leaving CNN, or if she’d ever come back, and she‘s taken quite a few shots at mainstream news in general, including CNN and Van Jones in particular. has unique viewpoints and opinions

Scott Jennings - conservative commentator who appears often, filling the Rick Santorum role
    O'Brien is a bit too much of a live wire who maybe burned too many of her bridges at CNN for them to sulk back and ask her to return with a nice, big new huge contract.

Jennings likely stays on just as an oft-requested conservative commentator. Not really host material.

Collins is a very effective, good reporter whos great at fieldwork but like you alluded to, would take some time to adequately adjust into her new role. They don't need more former reporters doing on-the-job analyst training. That's sort of a sign that your cable company isn't totally sold on you and are kind of conducting experiments on a probationary sense and if don't mesh very well, and aren't visually photogenic from a news standpoint, you'll be back covering the Pentagon in 2-3 months where you were before as a correspondent.

Coates has done her internship for Lemon, so she likely deserves a shot.

Maybe Coates can tell her boss, Don Lemon, to try and not get shirt-faced drunk, use obscenities and swear at every American that he doesn't give two shirts if they disagree with him or their remotely right-of-center in their political thinking. He acted like a complete, elitist butt crevasse on CNN's New Years Eve, drunk and behaving like a deluded fool in New Orleans.

I don't know. Maybe Vladimir Putin, Kim Jong-un, and Recep Erdoğan.

I would assume we could rule out Mao Zedong because he died back in 1976.
    I do think there were lots of world leaders who spoke out at the time.

I do think there were lots of world leaders who spoke out at the time.
    I was referring to the question posed in the Glenn Greenwald meme. I think that most of the world leaders who deal with democracy in their country saw Trump as bad news and as a treat to democracy

I like this guys’ take on Twitter and you could extend it to social media in general:

Fox is really scraping the bottom of the barrel with Tucker. The fascist barrel.

Posted this on EE
    ==================

I don't know what can be done about the scourge of blatant misinformation, when the response will be First Amendment/Freedom

But the bald face lying is way out of control, I fear as bad as it is, it's not as bad as it's going to get in the coming years
    ===================

..........In the past, this has meant Carlson doing his nodding-while-stunned routine while Berenson makes claims such as this: that face masks don’t slow the spread of the virus (they do). On Tuesday night, though, Berenson’s predilection for apocalyptic proclamations led to one of the most dishonest and dangerous segments in the history of Carlson’s show — which is a high, high bar to clear.

The subject was vaccines, a response to the coronavirus pandemic that Berenson has for months sought to undercut. He was on Carlson’s program in November, in fact, claiming that evidence was waning that the vaccines prevented serious injury or death but, you know, even if they did, it’s still “your own personal choice” whether you want to die, struggling to breathe in a crowded intensive care unit, intubated, your family sobbing as they watch through a nearby window. Up to you.

Now, though, Berenson has taken it further.

“I have not said this to you before, because I’m pretty careful, and I’m pretty careful with the data,” Berenson claimed, falsely. “The mRNA covid vaccines need to be withdrawn from the market now. No one should get them. No one should get boosted. No one should get double-boosted. They are a dangerous and ineffective product at this point against omicron,” the most prevalent variant in the United States.

I want to be careful here not to overstate the case. But Berenson’s career is now largely predicated on precisely this sort of denialism. It’s what powers his Substack subscriptions; it’s what gets him on Carlson’s show; it’s what landed him an interview with Joe Rogan. And when your profile and income are predicated on claiming that you alone are standing athwart a global conspiracy, there is a tendency to continue to amplify your assertions to keep the audience on the hook.

For the audience, the thrill is being part of the elite few who see behind the curtain. In an insightful Twitter thread, writer Julian Sanchez labeled this “cinematic epistemology,” a belief system rooted in the assumption that the world works the way action movies do. That, in other words, Berenson is the protagonist who will soon reveal that the heavy machinery of government has long been up to no good, deceiving the public. In reality, of course, Berenson and those like him are simply leveraging this impulse for attention and money...........

Tucker Carlson airs his most dishonest and dangerous pandemic segment yet

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom